| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Simply_Love wrote:
I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha

this confuses me greatly. i would say that there are definitely a lot of meat eaters out there that enjoy eating veggie burgers but usually prefer the meat burgers and eat the veg burgers as a healthy alternative. so if you're going to blow it all by putting bacon on a veggie burger just get the cow burger?

that didnt sound very vegan of me did it?

it's like ordering diet soda with a bacon double cheese burger with extra mayo and super sized fries.

i dont get it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Simply_Love wrote:
Oh, I totally realize it happens, but I can't imagine often enough for a waiter to ask? Though, I suppose it's kind of like at Starbucks where people order a drink made with soy milk (or fat free milk) to save on calories but still want the whip cream.

the thing i like about SB is most barista's seem to understand when you order soy you dont want whipped cream (whether they think you are lacto-intolerant, vegan, health conscious or whatever) but they still give you the option just in case you do want it.

usually people say to me "no whipped cream right?"

for some silly reason i like when they say that rather than "do you want whipped cream?" cause i feel like they understand where im going with my $5 drink.

talk about semantics! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Some people don't eat beef for religious reasons, but bacon is a go - so there's that. But since most restaurants will add a charge for bacon, servers are probably taught to always offer it as an easy upsell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk wrote:
this confuses me greatly. i would say that there are definitely a lot of meat eaters out there that enjoy eating veggie burgers but usually prefer the meat burgers and eat the veg burgers as a healthy alternative. so if you're going to blow it all by putting bacon on a veggie burger just get the cow burger?

that didnt sound very vegan of me did it?

it's like ordering diet soda with a bacon double cheese burger with extra mayo and super sized fries.

i dont get it.

I think it might be along the thought lines of, "I can cut calories here and there if I continue to eat similarly but swap out one thing at a time." I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but sometimes the way some people cut calories or try to eat healthier is by swapping one food/drink item at a time so that it's not a big shock and is more manageable in their new life. A lot of people have lost a great deal of weight by switching to diet soda and adding a bit of exercise. Switching to a veggie burger might not seem like a big deal for us who are used to it but to someone who regularly eats greasy, cheesy, bacon topped burgers switching to a veggie burger might be big for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 am 
Discovered unobtainium

A lot of people medically can't have all that sugar. Analyzing what people are ordering smacks a lot of the judgement fat people get when they order something other people think they "shouldn't."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am 
WELFARIST!

lavawitch wrote:
A lot of people medically can't have all that sugar. Analyzing what people are ordering smacks a lot of the judgement fat people get when they order something other people think they "shouldn't."

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have a heavier coworker friend who always orders the vegetarian wrap at the place we go to, because he wants to reduce his consumption of meat and be a bit healthier. He even ditches the cheese. I overheard one of the employees working there making a joke about how he's going to be hungry in about 5 seconds and should try eating more meat. She said "you know, there's a lot of fat vegetarians out there". I'm so glad he didn't hear but I wish I could have figured out something to say other than a look that read ?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?^*&^@?!.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

gaaaaaahhhhh, vijita. I'm glad no one has said something like that to my face, though I have an idea that some people think it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I get peeved with scare tactic vegans. You know the ones that are like - supermarket bread is never vegan, wine is never vegan, someone who used to work at that vegan cafe told me that the owner keeps a bottle of dairy milk in the fridge, apparently those vegan donuts are made within 100 miles of an abbatoir, that vegan cream cheese might have some sugar in it that might have been made from bones. Way to help people go vegan, vegans.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 am 
WELFARIST!

Efcliz wrote:
I get peeved with scare tactic vegans. You know the ones that are like - supermarket bread is never vegan, wine is never vegan, someone who used to work at that vegan cafe told me that the owner keeps a bottle of dairy milk in the fridge, apparently those vegan donuts are made within 100 miles of an abbatoir, that vegan cream cheese might have some sugar in it that might have been made from bones. Way to help people go vegan, vegans.

That's like the comments section on nearly every Vegan Zombie youtube video. "YOU'RE NOT USING ORGANIC! THAT'S NOT VEGAN!" or, "I KNOW YOUR SHOW IS CALLED VEGAN ZOMBIE AND YOU SAID YOU'VE BEEN VEGAN FOR 15 YEARS BUT YOU'RE USING SUGAR! SUGAR ISN'T VEGAN! IS YOUR SUGAR VEGAN?!?!?!?!?" or, "Your show glorifies the murder of people!!!!! NOT VEGAN!!!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

karichelle wrote:
We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.

There's an organic/natural burger chain that offers a sandwich with one veggie patty and one meat patty. My husband always orders it. I've asked him before, and he says two meat patties would be too much. It still seems odd to me. But on the other hand, we want vegetarian foods to be normalized and ordinary. This is just part of what happens when that's successful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Dumb statements like the one posted on a vegan dessert recipe video, "Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm 5 pounds havier. Oh wait! No, I'm not, cause this is vegan and not loaded with freaking dairy!"

WHAT?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
karichelle wrote:

There's an organic/natural burger chain that offers a sandwich with one veggie patty and one meat patty. My husband always orders it. I've asked him before, and he says two meat patties would be too much. It still seems odd to me. But on the other hand, we want vegetarian foods to be normalized and ordinary. This is just part of what happens when that's successful.

Is that elevation burger? They didn't do well here so they closed up.

I'm not a bacon fan but I can imagine ordering a veggie burger with bacon if I was. I used to order certain veggie burgers (like black bean burgers) when I still ate meat because I liked the flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

maybe this topic speaks more about my deep hatred of bacon than anything else and that's why i cant imagine why someone would want to put bacon on a veggie burger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
karichelle wrote:

Is that elevation burger? They didn't do well here so they closed up.

I'm not a bacon fan but I can imagine ordering a veggie burger with bacon if I was. I used to order certain veggie burgers (like black bean burgers) when I still ate meat because I liked the flavor.

Yup. They're going strong here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

That's like the comments section on nearly every Vegan Zombie youtube video. "YOU'RE NOT USING ORGANIC! THAT'S NOT VEGAN!" or, "I KNOW YOUR SHOW IS CALLED VEGAN ZOMBIE AND YOU SAID YOU'VE BEEN VEGAN FOR 15 YEARS BUT YOU'RE USING SUGAR! SUGAR ISN'T VEGAN! IS YOUR SUGAR VEGAN?!?!?!?!?" or, "Your show glorifies the murder of people!!!!! NOT VEGAN!!!!!"

Oh my god this! On our bake sale FB page last year someone posted that they had showed up the previous year and nothing we had was VEGAN! Everything had BONE CHAR in it, PROCESSED stuff, NOTHING was ORGANIC and we were all horrible vegans.
Gah!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 pm 
Grandfathered In

monkeytoes wrote:
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.

Wha.....?!

I would kind of love it if someone said that to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

FootFace wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Wha.....?!

Yeah, free sammich!

I'd probably be really annoyed if it happened with any regularity, though... Haha.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

A friend of mine on FB (actually, the husband of a friend who herself is not on FB) hasn't posted in months after being a fairly active poster. I was starting to worry about him. He just posted for the first time in ages. His first post? "Now that I know how to make my own bacon, I'll never buy from it from a store again." Accompanied by a picture of huge slab of curing pig flesh. fork.

(This is the same guy who asked me to help name one of his backyard chickens a while back, which I reluctantly did when he assured me they were not for eating. Then it turned out one of the chicks was a rooster... well, you can guess the rest.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

Freetahtah wrote:
FootFace wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Wha.....?!

Yeah, free sammich!

I'd probably be really annoyed if it happened with any regularity, though... Haha.

The free sammich part was great! I mean, I did have to point out to the manager that his employee was handing out unsolicited sermons to customers. The bacon part was weird though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

At my college dining hall once, I asked the server for the vegetarian dish, and she replied, "You're vegetarian? You ain't never gonna grow without no meat in your belly."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

monkeytoes wrote:

So, uh, which Bible were they reading that said it was cool to eat pigs? I think the Bible's pretty clear on "don't ever eat pigs." That's the weirdest part of that little sermon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

last night the fresh cilantro at the store was a bust...so i saw organic cilantro past & read the ingredients....um, it had milk...um?

i need to grow our own cilantro, we have a lawn maintenance guy who is going to help me. last time i tried it was slug/snail city in the backyard. my plant was gone in 24 hours. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 547  Next