| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 547  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5566
Location: United States of New England
Simply_Love wrote:
I find this more funny than annoying, but:

A few weeks ago I was out with friend's and ordered a burger with a boca patty. The burger I ordered just comes with pickles, onions and lettuce, and normally the waiter will just repeat back the "with a boca patty, right?" to me. But this time they asked if I wanted cheese. I told them no. Then they asked if I wanted bacon on it. It took a lot of will power to not start laughing. Yes, I am ordering a vegan burger and I want bacon on it. The waiter proceeded to ask everyone else if they wanted bacon on their burgers as well, so I'm assuming for some reason they were suppose to be pushing bacon for some reason that day (since I've been there a bunch of times and they've never done that), but I was still greatly amused being asked if I wanted bacon. The cheese I can understand, but bacon? hahaha


this confuses me greatly. i would say that there are definitely a lot of meat eaters out there that enjoy eating veggie burgers but usually prefer the meat burgers and eat the veg burgers as a healthy alternative. so if you're going to blow it all by putting bacon on a veggie burger just get the cow burger?

that didnt sound very vegan of me did it?

it's like ordering diet soda with a bacon double cheese burger with extra mayo and super sized fries.

i dont get it.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 am 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5566
Location: United States of New England
Simply_Love wrote:
Oh, I totally realize it happens, but I can't imagine often enough for a waiter to ask? Though, I suppose it's kind of like at Starbucks where people order a drink made with soy milk (or fat free milk) to save on calories but still want the whip cream.



the thing i like about SB is most barista's seem to understand when you order soy you dont want whipped cream (whether they think you are lacto-intolerant, vegan, health conscious or whatever) but they still give you the option just in case you do want it.

usually people say to me "no whipped cream right?"

for some silly reason i like when they say that rather than "do you want whipped cream?" cause i feel like they understand where im going with my $5 drink.

talk about semantics! ;-)

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 am 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4701
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
Some people don't eat beef for religious reasons, but bacon is a go - so there's that. But since most restaurants will add a charge for bacon, servers are probably taught to always offer it as an easy upsell.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
LisaPunk wrote:
this confuses me greatly. i would say that there are definitely a lot of meat eaters out there that enjoy eating veggie burgers but usually prefer the meat burgers and eat the veg burgers as a healthy alternative. so if you're going to blow it all by putting bacon on a veggie burger just get the cow burger?

that didnt sound very vegan of me did it?

it's like ordering diet soda with a bacon double cheese burger with extra mayo and super sized fries.

i dont get it.

I think it might be along the thought lines of, "I can cut calories here and there if I continue to eat similarly but swap out one thing at a time." I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but sometimes the way some people cut calories or try to eat healthier is by swapping one food/drink item at a time so that it's not a big shock and is more manageable in their new life. A lot of people have lost a great deal of weight by switching to diet soda and adding a bit of exercise. Switching to a veggie burger might not seem like a big deal for us who are used to it but to someone who regularly eats greasy, cheesy, bacon topped burgers switching to a veggie burger might be big for them.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 729
Location: Indiana
We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12279
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
A lot of people medically can't have all that sugar. Analyzing what people are ordering smacks a lot of the judgement fat people get when they order something other people think they "shouldn't."

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
lavawitch wrote:
A lot of people medically can't have all that sugar. Analyzing what people are ordering smacks a lot of the judgement fat people get when they order something other people think they "shouldn't."

Agreed.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I have a heavier coworker friend who always orders the vegetarian wrap at the place we go to, because he wants to reduce his consumption of meat and be a bit healthier. He even ditches the cheese. I overheard one of the employees working there making a joke about how he's going to be hungry in about 5 seconds and should try eating more meat. She said "you know, there's a lot of fat vegetarians out there". I'm so glad he didn't hear but I wish I could have figured out something to say other than a look that read ?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?^*&^@?!.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6245
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
gaaaaaahhhhh, vijita. I'm glad no one has said something like that to my face, though I have an idea that some people think it.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
I get peeved with scare tactic vegans. You know the ones that are like - supermarket bread is never vegan, wine is never vegan, someone who used to work at that vegan cafe told me that the owner keeps a bottle of dairy milk in the fridge, apparently those vegan donuts are made within 100 miles of an abbatoir, that vegan cream cheese might have some sugar in it that might have been made from bones. Way to help people go vegan, vegans.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
Efcliz wrote:
I get peeved with scare tactic vegans. You know the ones that are like - supermarket bread is never vegan, wine is never vegan, someone who used to work at that vegan cafe told me that the owner keeps a bottle of dairy milk in the fridge, apparently those vegan donuts are made within 100 miles of an abbatoir, that vegan cream cheese might have some sugar in it that might have been made from bones. Way to help people go vegan, vegans.

That's like the comments section on nearly every Vegan Zombie youtube video. "YOU'RE NOT USING ORGANIC! THAT'S NOT VEGAN!" or, "I KNOW YOUR SHOW IS CALLED VEGAN ZOMBIE AND YOU SAID YOU'VE BEEN VEGAN FOR 15 YEARS BUT YOU'RE USING SUGAR! SUGAR ISN'T VEGAN! IS YOUR SUGAR VEGAN?!?!?!?!?" or, "Your show glorifies the murder of people!!!!! NOT VEGAN!!!!!"

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: Austin
karichelle wrote:
We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.

There's an organic/natural burger chain that offers a sandwich with one veggie patty and one meat patty. My husband always orders it. I've asked him before, and he says two meat patties would be too much. It still seems odd to me. But on the other hand, we want vegetarian foods to be normalized and ordinary. This is just part of what happens when that's successful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:12 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
Dumb statements like the one posted on a vegan dessert recipe video, "Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm 5 pounds havier. Oh wait! No, I'm not, cause this is vegan and not loaded with freaking dairy!"

WHAT?

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:17 pm 
Online
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8940
Location: Maryland/DC area
mollyjade wrote:
karichelle wrote:
We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.

There's an organic/natural burger chain that offers a sandwich with one veggie patty and one meat patty. My husband always orders it. I've asked him before, and he says two meat patties would be too much. It still seems odd to me. But on the other hand, we want vegetarian foods to be normalized and ordinary. This is just part of what happens when that's successful.


Is that elevation burger? They didn't do well here so they closed up.

I'm not a bacon fan but I can imagine ordering a veggie burger with bacon if I was. I used to order certain veggie burgers (like black bean burgers) when I still ate meat because I liked the flavor.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5566
Location: United States of New England
maybe this topic speaks more about my deep hatred of bacon than anything else and that's why i cant imagine why someone would want to put bacon on a veggie burger.

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4115
Location: Austin
linanil wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
karichelle wrote:
We do have a local restaurant that serves a house-made vegan burger whose recipe changes with the season, and a bacon topping for an additional charge has always been an option.

Weird, but I guess it's for people who want the burger but are definitely not vegan.

There's an organic/natural burger chain that offers a sandwich with one veggie patty and one meat patty. My husband always orders it. I've asked him before, and he says two meat patties would be too much. It still seems odd to me. But on the other hand, we want vegetarian foods to be normalized and ordinary. This is just part of what happens when that's successful.


Is that elevation burger? They didn't do well here so they closed up.

I'm not a bacon fan but I can imagine ordering a veggie burger with bacon if I was. I used to order certain veggie burgers (like black bean burgers) when I still ate meat because I liked the flavor.

Yup. They're going strong here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 8025
Location: Seattle
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm
Posts: 1218
Location: Alberta, Canada
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
I get peeved with scare tactic vegans. You know the ones that are like - supermarket bread is never vegan, wine is never vegan, someone who used to work at that vegan cafe told me that the owner keeps a bottle of dairy milk in the fridge, apparently those vegan donuts are made within 100 miles of an abbatoir, that vegan cream cheese might have some sugar in it that might have been made from bones. Way to help people go vegan, vegans.

That's like the comments section on nearly every Vegan Zombie youtube video. "YOU'RE NOT USING ORGANIC! THAT'S NOT VEGAN!" or, "I KNOW YOUR SHOW IS CALLED VEGAN ZOMBIE AND YOU SAID YOU'VE BEEN VEGAN FOR 15 YEARS BUT YOU'RE USING SUGAR! SUGAR ISN'T VEGAN! IS YOUR SUGAR VEGAN?!?!?!?!?" or, "Your show glorifies the murder of people!!!!! NOT VEGAN!!!!!"


Oh my god this! On our bake sale FB page last year someone posted that they had showed up the previous year and nothing we had was VEGAN! Everything had BONE CHAR in it, PROCESSED stuff, NOTHING was ORGANIC and we were all horrible vegans.
Gah!

_________________
The Vegan Cookbook Aficionado

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 pm 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9701
Location: Seattle
monkeytoes wrote:
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.


Wha.....?!

I would kind of love it if someone said that to me.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 pm
Posts: 516
Location: Sun City
FootFace wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.


Wha.....?!

I would kind of love it if someone said that to me.


Yeah, free sammich!

I'd probably be really annoyed if it happened with any regularity, though... Haha.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3316
Location: The Bene
A friend of mine on FB (actually, the husband of a friend who herself is not on FB) hasn't posted in months after being a fairly active poster. I was starting to worry about him. He just posted for the first time in ages. His first post? "Now that I know how to make my own bacon, I'll never buy from it from a store again." Accompanied by a picture of huge slab of curing pig flesh. fork.

(This is the same guy who asked me to help name one of his backyard chickens a while back, which I reluctantly did when he assured me they were not for eating. Then it turned out one of the chicks was a rooster... well, you can guess the rest.)

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
Dead by dawn
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Posts: 8025
Location: Seattle
Freetahtah wrote:
FootFace wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.


Wha.....?!

I would kind of love it if someone said that to me.


Yeah, free sammich!

I'd probably be really annoyed if it happened with any regularity, though... Haha.

The free sammich part was great! I mean, I did have to point out to the manager that his employee was handing out unsolicited sermons to customers. The bacon part was weird though.

_________________
facebook
"The PPK: Come for the pie; stay for the croissants." - tinglepants!
"Cockblocked by Richard Branson- again!" - Erika Soyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1713
Location: Central PA
At my college dining hall once, I asked the server for the vegetarian dish, and she replied, "You're vegetarian? You ain't never gonna grow without no meat in your belly."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3896
monkeytoes wrote:
I ordered a veggie sandwich at Subway once and the girl asked me if I wanted to add bacon. Then she told me I should eat meat because the god said it was OK and don't I read the bible, and her manager gave me my sandwich free because I didn't come in for a sermon.


So, uh, which Bible were they reading that said it was cool to eat pigs? I think the Bible's pretty clear on "don't ever eat pigs." That's the weirdest part of that little sermon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Offline
Who's Ted Leo?
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm
Posts: 7234
Location: Modesto, CA
last night the fresh cilantro at the store was a bust...so i saw organic cilantro past & read the ingredients....um, it had milk...um?

i need to grow our own cilantro, we have a lawn maintenance guy who is going to help me. last time i tried it was slug/snail city in the backyard. my plant was gone in 24 hours. :(

_________________
The Stay At Home Girlfriend: A zine that focuses on
vegan recipes, cat love and living with OCD.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/missmuffcake


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133 ... 547  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: butterbobbin, Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer