| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 512  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm 
Semen Strong

paprikapapaya wrote:
I ate so much of that cultured sharp cheddar yesterday...

Oh that sounds amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
she literally bent from the waist and stuck her face into the most disgusting puddle you've ever seen

Hahahaha. Today we were picking up lunch somewhere and the toddler was running around while we waited and I gave her an ice cube to play with which she dropped on the disgusting floor then picked up and put in her mouth. I would've taken it out of her mouth, but I figured she had already sucked off all the gross anyway. Immune system building!

Our unexpected solution to the vegan-with-child isolation has been making more and more childless friends who like hanging out with little kids. My husband has amassed a nice community of friends he does sports with who also like coming over and playing with a toddler (we also now have a couple friends through the sports connections with multiple kids who don't notice the added chaos of one more toddler, but aside from our downstairs neighbors, we don't see them that often). Our friends either come over to our place to eat (so no vegan worries) or we go out to a restaurant and all agree to order vegan so we can share or when we go over to their place they'll cook a simple vegan dinner. Our downstairs neighbors (with three kids including two toddlers) often watch our toddler for short periods of time also, and we do the same, so we can each get things done. Also, I started a baby and toddler playgroup that's mostly food-free and is organized around a different common interest (i.e. not just having babies, which I don't find enough to make common ground with people over). It's working so far. I haven't found playgroups in general that awesome so far because everybody's distracted by their kids and it's hard to have an actual conversation with the adults and also it's a tough way to meet simpatico adults if you want to talk about anything but children. I highly prefer playgroups in contained spaces instead of parks or public spaces that are easy to trash (like libraries) so you can spend a little less time chasing children who've run off and more time talking to adults.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Tofulish wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Oh that sounds amazing.

oh god, it was. If you don't have Artisan Vegan Cheese yet, get it! But I warn you...it does funny things to your guts...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

P.S. The school context is totally different from the playgroup context. It is so easy to keep allergic kids away from their allergens in a school setting and even kindergarteners know what they're allergic to and will ask the right questions if they're worried. Toddlers not so much with the asking, but also toddlers just don't have the social skills to wait or ask permission and the playgroup itself is totally informal with people eating randomly and also being cool with other toddlers just coming over and taking their food.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

paprikapapaya wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Oh that sounds amazing.

oh god, it was. If you don't have Artisan Vegan Cheese yet, get it! But I warn you...it does funny things to your guts...

I think I may possibly need it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I really want that on a nursing tank.

I'm in the process of making some breastfeeding pins!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My newest pet peeve: people who just do not understand what vegan means, even after you explain it to them clearly.

Me: I don't eat anything that comes from an animals, including milk and eggs.
Them: Oh, but you still eat cake with eggs in it, right?
Me: Nope, no eggs.
Them: YOu can still have some types of cheese, though.
Me: Nope, not any kind of dairy cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:16 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
rhelune wrote:
I don't think they refer to leafy greens (because, they are vegetables) or pseudograins (they are usually considered grains). I'm afraid such classification only enforces the belief that many meat-eaters hold, that we either have to eat meat or meat imitations, so that being vegan is more expensive.

I'm surprised how many vegans don't eat legumes because "they're gassy". My first thought is "what do you eat then", but then I remember raw-foodists who don't eat them either and can get enough of every nutrient.

Quoting because my vegan pet peeve is still gas. I still eat everything that gives me gas though.

I had way, way worse gas pregan. I blame the dairy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

annabazoo wrote:
Me: I don't eat anything that comes from an animals, including milk and eggs.
Them: Oh, but you still eat cake with eggs in it, right?
Me: Nope, no eggs.
Them: YOu can still have some types of cheese, though.
Me: Nope, not any kind of dairy cheese.

Ahaha, my sister's boyfriend's sister was like 12 and would always ask my sister, can you eat an orange? Are oranges vegan? Is a potato vegan? etc etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 am 
WELFARIST!

This image:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

OMG. Who are these people? Who can look at that and see anything other than cute, sweet, amazing, beautiful, wonderful, and precious?

I just don't get it. I mean, I get the disconnect, but not this. Maybe its more honest somehow, but it makes me feel that there is something fundamentally broken inside of people who think like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

An artist that I follow posted it on their Facebook account along with a comment about how hard they laughed at it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you for all the posts about how to feel less isolated as a vegan parent. I'm going to start getting some more fun stuff on my calendar!

Also, this reminded me of you guys. Vegan kids are vegans too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

lavawitch wrote:
OMG. Who are these people? Who can look at that and see anything other than cute, sweet, amazing, beautiful, wonderful, and precious?

Me. I don't think it's cute or sweet. I just think its a living thing and I don't choose to eat living things.

It's not really a peeve but it does surprise me that people think I'm an animal lover just because I'm vegan, because I'm really not. I don't even look at kittens on the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Efcliz wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Me. I don't think it's cute or sweet. I just think its a living thing and I don't choose to eat living things.

It's not really a peeve but it does surprise me that people think I'm an animal lover just because I'm vegan, because I'm really not. I don't even look at kittens on the Internet.

But do you see a cute piglet and immediately think "bacon?" I just don't get that. Not squeezing over all the animals is totally different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Efcliz wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

yeah I totally agree with this. I actually do find many animals attractive and all that, and I like to look at funny cat videos on the internet, but I'm not vegan because I think animals are cute and fuzzy. It does irk me when people think that. From an ethical standpoint obviously you can be vegan and not particularly like animals at all.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Efcliz wrote:

First time I was visiting my SO's sister in her new home, she told her mother in law that I don't eat any animal products. The mother in law said she'd lock all the cats in one room. SO's sister asked why, and the mother in law replied - because I didn't like animals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Efcliz wrote:

It's not really a peeve but it does surprise me that people think I'm an animal lover just because I'm vegan, because I'm really not.

This times a million. I don't go all squiffy over animals, I've never been a pet person (although I appreciate others are). I don't really get the "cuteness" thing. Even if an aniaml was the ugliest and most useless thing on the planet, it would still be wrong to eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My super epic oral fixation makes me want to put animals in my mouth. Not in an rating way - in a love biting way. My animal rescue friends totally understand why I comment with stuff like "NOM I NEED HIM IN MY MOUTH!!!"

I don't get how people can look at an animal picture and say "mmmm, almost bacon/steak/etc", either. Pregan I could not do that.

Also.... The piglet needs to get in my mouth. For love.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i squee whenever i see a furry animal.
i tell my husband all the time i want 100 guinea pigs in a basket so i can shove my face in it and die of happiness.

anything cute and furry needs to be my friend/pet.

any wild animal that comes into my yard becomes an "outside pet"

ive collected a turkey, a toad, and some shrews plus all the birds/squirrels/chipmunks.

i want them all to be my friends.

i am definitely one of "those" vegans/animal lovers ;-)

although i will say im not really a cat person which seems to be a vegan sin. but in all fairness im allergic so me and cats arent on good terms.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Moon wrote:

you crack me up. i may end up with a Moon sig collection of wisdom!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Moon wrote:

<333

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:

I dream of one day being transformed into a Disney princess who has birds using my arms as perches and mice mending my clothes and shiitake....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Moon wrote:
My super epic oral fixation makes me want to put animals in my mouth. Not in an rating way - in a love biting way. My animal rescue friends totally understand why I comment with stuff like "NOM I NEED HIM IN MY MOUTH!!!"

I am constantly putting my cats' ears in my mouth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

LisaPunk wrote:
i squee whenever i see a furry animal.
i tell my husband all the time i want 100 guinea pigs in a basket so i can shove my face in it and die of happiness.

anything cute and furry needs to be my friend/pet.

any wild animal that comes into my yard becomes an "outside pet"

ive collected a turkey, a toad, and some shrews plus all the birds/squirrels/chipmunks.

i am definitely one of "those" vegans/animal lovers ;-)

Are we TWINS!!!??? :D

I am always asking for a basket of kittens or bunnies or quokkas. I eternally await this basket!

Quote:
although i will say im not really a cat person

Oh. *sadface*

We can still be almost twins!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 512  Next