| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 473  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

couroupita wrote:
Have people really asked you about your poop? I've only heard vegans (and my husband) talk about vegan poo.

Yea, I've been asked several times if I shiitake lettuce, and if my poop is extra smelly.
Oddly my and my boyfriend talk about our poops all the time, and he never said anything about it being different because I'm vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think if you already ate a lot of fiber nothing will change much. Most people don't though. My husband was really happy that eating more vegan food (i.e., veggies) made bathroom time easier for him.

I think if anyone ever asked me about vegan poop I would die of embarrassment. That is such a weird thing to ask someone about!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My mom asked me if my poop was different since going vegan. But this is the woman who would scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! CHEESE IS BINDING!" every time I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich in a diner as a kid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Alaina wrote:
couroupita wrote:
Have people really asked you about your poop? I've only heard vegans (and my husband) talk about vegan poo.

Yea, I've been asked several times if I shiitake lettuce, and if my poop is extra smelly.
Oddly my and my boyfriend talk about our poops all the time, and he never said anything about it being different because I'm vegan.

i dont know if there is any scientific evidence to back this up but i swear meat poop is way smellier than vegan poop. also booze plus meat (especially beef) = smelliest poops and farts EVER.

i was veg forever before going vegan so i dont think my poops changed much but i did go through a period of "bloody vegan poops" which was basically really hard poops that hurt my butt coming out and made it bleed (TMI????)
that eventually went away.

as a veg and a vegan i swear i poop in like 30 seconds flat. the sort of cliche that you go into the bathroom with a newspaper and set up shop to poop confuses me. i am a lightening pooper!

that being said no one has asked me about my vegan poop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Meat and eggs contain a lot of sulphur. Onion, garlic, and cruciferous veggies contain a lot of sulphur, too.

I, too, usually forget I ate beets the day before and panic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Quote:
i dont know if there is any scientific evidence to back this up but i swear meat poop is way smellier than vegan poop. also booze plus meat (especially beef) = smelliest poops and farts EVER.

I can tell you my son has only eaten meat a few times in his life, and each time has only been a tiny bit. My goodness those are the smelliest poops of his life. And that's saying something, cause it's not like he's pooping roses on other days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

DEG wrote:
Quote:

I can tell you my son has only eaten meat a few times in his life, and each time has only been a tiny bit. My goodness those are the smelliest poops of his life. And that's saying something, cause it's not like he's pooping roses on other days.

If someone feeds my pup stuff with meat in it he has really stinky poop and farts the next day. Gross gross gross!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Alaina wrote:
karichelle wrote:
The acronym for the Standard American Diet couldn't be more appropriate.

I get so frustrated when people won't step outside their meat, potatoes, and an overcooked veggie (and most of the time it's corn) box.

Me too!

Speaking of corn that's another veggie I don't like, and apparently another one vegans or supposed to love. And not only do I not like corn, I won't eat anything with corn syrup or any other corn derived garbage in it. I'll eat organic corn chips or organic corn tortillas. And people are always like oh but why don't you eat corn, it's a veggie? My response is that I don't consider genetically modified pesticide written packaged cancer to be food. Which some people understand less than veganism.

I don't understand that either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 am 
Chard Martyr

linanil wrote:
I love mushrooms, send all the mushrooms to me.

And me! But no limp portobellos on a burger bun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LisaPunk wrote:
Alaina wrote:
couroupita wrote:

i was veg forever before going vegan so i dont think my poops changed much but i did go through a period of "bloody vegan poops" which was basically really hard poops that hurt my butt coming out and made it bleed (TMI????)
that eventually went away.

as a veg and a vegan i swear i poop in like 30 seconds flat. the sort of cliche that you go into the bathroom with a newspaper and set up shop to poop confuses me. i am a lightening pooper!

that being said no one has asked me about my vegan poop.

I was veg before going vegan for forever too, and I didn't really notice any difference. I also usually poop quick too. The only times I don't are when I've been eating out more often, or traveling. Something about traveling makes my butt zip up.

Come to think of it my onmi bf has really smelly poops....like someone put an oil refinery in the bathroom smelly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Limone wrote:
My mom asked me if my poop was different since going vegan. But this is the woman who would scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! CHEESE IS BINDING!" every time I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich in a diner as a kid.
I once went out with an American guy who mentioned cheese being a known constipation-maker, something I'd never heard of. I'd assumed he'd just made it up, but this makes me suspicious that it might be a thing? I assumed, secretly, that he only ate cacky processed cheese when it became evident that he lived off bread and cigarettes.

Not that it's relevant to my life in any way. Back to poo!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dead by dawn

Gulliver wrote:
Limone wrote:
I once went out with an American guy who mentioned cheese being a known constipation-maker, something I'd never heard of. I'd assumed he'd just made it up, but this makes me suspicious that it might be a thing? I assumed, secretly, that he only ate cacky processed cheese when it became evident that he lived off bread and cigarettes.

Dairy definitely has the potential to be constipating. The only time I've ever been constipated was when I had my wisdom teeth out and lived for a couple of days on milkshakes. Miserable. So glad I'm not one of those people who are perpetually bad poopers! (I say potential because I'm given to understand that it affects the lactose intolerant quite the opposite way...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:26 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

monkeytoes wrote:
Dairy definitely has the potential to be constipating. The only time I've ever been constipated was when I had my wisdom teeth out and lived for a couple of days on milkshakes. Miserable. So glad I'm not one of those people who are perpetually bad poopers! (I say potential because I'm given to understand that it affects the lactose intolerant quite the opposite way...)

You have learned well! I am pleased to say I now poop only 2 or 3 times a day thanks to no dairy in my life. I think to get that down to once a day I am going to have to break-up with gluten but for now I am enjoying the destructive relationship.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

one of my ph.d. supervisors goes out to eat a lot in amsterdam. since he found out that i'm vegan (and have trouble eating out here...........because i prefer pure veg restaurants), i've started getting updates from each of his preferred ams.restaurants about what is already accidentally vegan, or could easily become vegan, or etc. on the one hand, awesome! his eyes are open, and he's thinking about me and how accommodating (or not) restaurants can be. on the other hand, i don't want to hear about potentially awesome vegan food alongside the description of his dead dinner which inevitably accompanies it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

monkeytoes wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
Limone wrote:

i think that can be one of the symptoms of lactose intolerance. i know for me my body decided randomly right around age 27 that it was no longer going to process dairy. i was so sick for so long cause i had no idea what was going on. finally i figured out it was dairy and if i ate something dairy heavy like pizza or ice cream i would get a really bad stomach ache and feel like i was going to have diarrhea but really i was super constipated.

dairy is evil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When someone posts that they plan on going veg on FB and people start in with the animal products that they cannot give up...One person wrote "one word: bacon" and I wrote "two words: tempeh bacon"....she is going on but I do not need to justify my replacement products. I always find it funny when people get all bisque-y about people going vegan. Why not care about your own diet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Cheese totally is binding (at least for me). My tactless mother was right! Totally TMI, but I crepe with far greater regularity since I cut out dairy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

missmuffcake wrote:
When someone posts that they plan on going veg on FB and people start in with the animal products that they cannot give up

ugh this is another peeve of mine! ok so you can't give up milk in your coffee. fine. why are you still eating cheese then? If you gave up everything except milk in coffee, you'd be eating drastically fewer animal products. and I'd actually be able to eat the food that you offer me all the time because you never offer me coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm 

joyfulgirl wrote:
If you gave up everything except milk in coffee, you'd be eating drastically fewer animal products. and I'd actually be able to eat the food that you offer me all the time because you never offer me coffee.

This reminds me of a militant animal rights chick I knew. She wore a vegan shirt, told everyone to go vegan, got into fights about animal stuff but...um she was not vegan! She could not give up milk in her tea. what the fizzle?!? She scared people off veganisim because she was loud and angry but was not even vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:32 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I really don't get the milk thing. That's like the easiest thing to replace! There are so many non-dairy options now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
When someone posts that they plan on going veg on FB and people start in with the animal products that they cannot give up...One person wrote "one word: bacon" and I wrote "two words: tempeh bacon"....she is going on but I do not need to justify my replacement products. I always find it funny when people get all bisque-y about people going vegan. Why not care about your own diet?
Yes, this stuff really bugs me, too. A young friend recently posted that she was going to "try to be vegan," and I was pretty horrified at the complete lack of support (indeed, the opposite of support) being offered by her "friends" in the form of comments like, "I hope this is a joke," and "I bet you a cheeseburger you won't last three days," along with highly original things like, "BACON!" and "what about cheese????" I said a few encouraging things and PM'd her a bunch of resources, including the PPK. I just think it's super shitty when people pour cold water on something someone else is excited about. If you can't be encouraging - for instance, a person I know posted about the "incredible" bacon pancakes they made - just look away, say nothing, and move on. Why go out of your way to be a jerk?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm 

That's pretty much why I didn't tell anyone I was thinking about it/changing my diet until afterward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm glad I don't have Facebook so I don't have to deal with false friends (or should I say I'm glad I can't USE Facebook because my Facebook identity was stolen right after I created an account, after which Facebook sent me an automated email saying they couldn't help me delete the account... GRRR I don't like Facebook.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:24 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
That's pretty much why I didn't tell anyone I was thinking about it/changing my diet until afterward.
It's not fair that a person should feel they have to "hide" something like this to avoid the nonsensical reactions of people who (by and large) only care about scoring points. This girl is 19 and finally in a position (i.e., out of her parents' house, with a certain degree of autonomy) to think about how she wants to live her life. I saw her over the holidays and we had a long talk about the links between veganism and feminism, and it was clear that those lightbulbs were starting to go off. I think those of us who have been vegan a long while, or who made the change as adults, and are used to being in charge of our own lives on a daily basis (along with our kitchens and groceries) can forget how difficult it can be to push back against ideas, beliefs, and behaviors that have been in place your whole life. I first went vegetarian when I was 16 (the week before Thanksgiving; my parents loved that!), and I still remember the load of crepe I took for the first couple years. Changes are hard, especially when you're meeting with active resistance and/or hostility. Anyway, I felt really bad for her having to defend herself against her "friends," but all I can do is be encouraging and suggest recipes, reading materials, etc.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
I said a few encouraging things and PM'd her a bunch of resources, including the PPK. I just think it's super shitty when people pour cold water on something someone else is excited about.

I am like that. I am always like 'hey if you want help let me know'...I send recipes and stuff too. People have to be super jerks to anything they seem to feel threatened by. OMG because tofu is sooooooo scary!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 473  Next