| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

MSG - easy to pronounce! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

missmuffcake wrote:
MSG - easy to pronounce! ;)

And my favourite food.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:28 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

When people think that you need to love all the animals to be vegan, or that because you are vegan you love all the animals.
I have a horrible fear of dogs. This happens when you are attacked not once but twice, both times simply walking on the sidewalk. While I am working on it... I won't naturally just love your dog. Sorry.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

So true! We dislike our cat (we were suckered into taking her). We are committed to providing her with a lovely home, lots of enrichment, vet care, way too expensive food necessitated by her way to expensive medical issues, and a scrupulously clean litterbox for the rest of her life, but my mom cannot get over the fact that we just don't like her. "But you're vegan! You love animals!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Articles likes this: Conscious Case Against Veganism
It’s almost like the author has no understanding of why she went vegan in the first place. So many things in this I could argue about!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i mean yeah who wants to be part of something that makes you eat food that uses quotation marks.

fork this veganism thing i want some veal! not some "veal" but some veal!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im sorry but i actually found that article to be funny. it's such a thinly veiled 'i dont want to do this anymore so im going to grab onto anything that makes me feel morally better'

i mean if she doesnt want to be vegan then that's her choice but that article was just sad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

LisaPunk wrote:
i mean yeah who wants to be part of something that makes you eat food that uses quotation marks.

fork this veganism thing i want some veal! not some "veal" but some veal!

what is god's name does this even mean?

Quote:
I mean, would you eat “apples” or “corn” on the cob? Processed food is processed food, even if it is “vegan.”

This article is hilarious.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The best part is how at the end she throws in little comments like
Quote:
Plus, a fried egg on whole-wheat toast with a side of steamed collard greens is a heaven unto itself

I think it would bother me less if the comments weren’t filled with people thanking her on such a “thought-provoking” article.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

pretty sure the quotation marks make the food unethical.
Stupid "chik'n"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Her whole thing on goat milk made zero sense. So goats just magically produce milk year round? And having full udders with no baby around is pleasurable? Oooookay.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The goat bit was particularly annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This line made me giggle for reasons I don't quite understand:

Quote:
eating oysters is ethically equivalent to downing a big bowl of kale chips

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

at least it doesnt mention happy cows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:44 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Maggie Muggins wrote:
The best part is how at the end she throws in little comments like
Quote:
Plus, a fried egg on whole-wheat toast with a side of steamed collard greens is a heaven unto itself
Gee, heaven sounds pretty boring (and gross). Good thing I haven't any chance of getting sent there!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You should totally eat meat because vegans are boring and it's probably not bad really and anyway it tastes good. Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

[quote]Sure, it’s cool that cows and chickens aren’t directly harmed in the process, but what about the farm workers’ daily exposure to pesticides and fertilizers, the degradation of the environment, and our population’s chronic sickness?[quote]

Right underneath the picture of ORGANIC dairy free ice cream.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

what other things do people get super defensive about when they quit? i'm sure there are other things, but quitting a vegan/vegetarian diet seems to be a big one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ijustdiedinside wrote:
what other things do people get super defensive about when they quit? i'm sure there are other things, but quitting a vegan/vegetarian diet seems to be a big one.

Hare Krishna?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Drinking. Obviously not everyone, but there are definitely people who get very passive aggressive about non-drinkers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh yeah, drinking. that's true. i've had people get actually mad at me for not drinking, which has also happened for not eating non-vegan food, so yeah, i can see how those are very similar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:16 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i was talking to the boyfriend's hair stylist about the southern/soul food dinners I have been making....She asked if I was still vegan. I guess I forgot the air quotes on my meals?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

missmuffcake wrote:
i was talking to the boyfriend's hair stylist about the southern/soul food dinners I have been making....She asked if I was still vegan. I guess I forgot the air quotes on my meals?

I find it annoying to have to use quotes all the time. I mean, once people know I'm vegan, I should be able to mention cheese or milk without quotes when I'm talking about my food.

Also, in French, we have the ugliest vegan word equivalent of "cheeze": "fauxmage", which means "fake cheese"... yeah... who wants to call their food fake? Just because it isn't made of dairy doesn't mean it's fake. Not to mention saying "fauxmage" out loud makes you sound like a three-year old who can't yet pronounce "fromage" right.

In French, "non-dairy" doesn't sound right either, because "milk" and "dairy" are almost the same word. Talking about "lait non laitier" would puzzle people. So what I do is tag "végétalien" (French for "vegan") to about every food I name, and that gets old very fast.

mollyjade wrote:
oh yeah, drinking. that's true. i've had people get actually mad at me for not drinking, which has also happened for not eating non-vegan food, so yeah, i can see how those are very similar.

I don't drink and I am vegan. I feel sure from now on people around me will start to think vegans don't drink... It's like once you're vegan, everything you do is related to veganism.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I still think that article/blog post is insanely goofy and weird but it made me think a bit. I think there is a really big dichotomy in veganism that is becoming more and more prevalent as it becomes more and more talked about in the mainstream media and more people convert. There seems to be two camps. One is the ethical vegan, which I would say is the bulk of the people on ppk, and also to me what veganism actually means (an ethical practice of living rather than a diet). And then there are the “plant powered, whole foods” people who see it more of a diet for health rather than an ethical/moral lifestyle.

I think either way you come to veganism is totally cool. the more people eating a vegan “diet” the less animal suffering. I am predominantly an ethical vegan but I enjoy that my “diet” also is a healthy one and offers many health benefits. That being said I like oil, I like sugar (cupcakes! Cookies!) and right now I am eating a bagel with tofutti, and drinking coffee with soy creamer. I don’t think there is a whole food anywhere in my “meal” right now. Im ok with that.

I do think that sometimes new plant-powered people get really jazzed up about their new way of life in the same way new ethical vegans want to share what they’ve learned with everyone on the planet. I think that zealousness sometimes translates into other people being confused as to what vegans eat. Some vegans think oil is the devil because Dr Ornish or Dr Barnard or whomever said so. Some vegans are all about the vegan cupcakes. I think all the media that the “plant powered” diets are getting means a bit of confusion for people who are unfamiliar with veganism and they think that veganism=no oil, no processed foods, nothing that isn’t a whole food. And then people take that even further and think you cant eat anything that any diet of any kind restricts (most people think I cant eat gluten for some reason and then they get confused on what a gluten actually is, LISA YOU CANT EAT RICE!!!!)

So anywhooo that’s a little bit of what the “quotation mark food” comments made me think of in that blog post though overall the blog makes very little sense and is clearly grasping at straws to make themselves feel better morally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh how did I forget this little jem.... I was having a sandwich one day for lunch and a colleague said.... but you can't eat bread! There's wheat in that, you're a vegan. Then she offered me some of her brie cheese because I am allowed to have that apparently. Scary thing is, she works in the catering side of health care.

As for preachy vegans, can we just do a sniper thing and shoot the lot?!!! Someone I know recommended a facebook vegan group to me. I joined but only lasted a few days. The posts usually went like this.... New vegan, or transitioning person would post asking a question or asking where people stand on certain ethical issues, "real" vegans would come along and announce that they shouldn't even be in the group if they buy certain products and they aren't even a vegan if they would entertain debating eating certain foods. It is meant to be a group specifically for helping new vegans transition. I left without ever posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 547  Next