| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't hate Oreo eaters, it's just when people start dipping them in milk. That's when they get on my bad side. They're not as bad as people who eat cake in a bowl with milk though. Those people deserve to be locked away.

(I actually don't mind Oreos and am totally craving them (or the Newman's Own version, which I like better for some reason) right now. Totally wishing I had bought some Jo-jo's when I was at TJ's today.....)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
vijita wrote:
Do you guys all hate vegans who hate Oreos and Daiya? Because I am one of those people.

I don't hate the sinner. We can pray this problem away.

I don't hate Oreo eaters, I just hate their lifestyle.

Oreo haters can eat any cookie they want...so long as its Oreo!

Some of my best friends hate Oreos. I once let one use my bathroom.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Shy Mox wrote:
Some of my best friends hate Oreos. I once let one use my bathroom.

I've been wanting a new sig for a while. . . thinking this is it. <3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

And now I want oreos.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 am 
Flounceiad 2011

zensquiggle wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
man now i want some velveeta!

I finally tried the Daiya cheddar wedge the other day, and it is eerily similar to what I remember Velveeta tasting like.
Absolutely. I find it really hits that "crappy processed cheese-food product" spot when I'm in that kind of mood. And suddenly, I'm in that kind of mood!

My pet peeve yesterday was a department event to talk about and promote the English major at my university. This is an annual thing where undergrads are invited to lunch, and faculty and grad students on hand to answer questions, chat, etc. The peeve part is that the "lunch" was pizza - about a bazillion trillion boxes of pizza of every conceivable cheesy meaty variety - and nothing else. I generally assume there won't be anything substantial to eat at these sorts of events and don't get too bothered, but there is usually at least a salad or chips or SOMETHING. I think I felt so particularly bugged because of the sheer quantity of food; they had way over-ordered, but there was literally nothing I could eat. The fact that I'd rushed out yesterday morning without breakfast, taught for 75 minutes, and was starving probably played a role in my annoyance, and I'm sure the other grad students were grateful for the leftovers, but seriously - why can't people ever seem to conceive of eating anything other than meat and cheese??

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yeah, that's what annoys me at work things - that there's so much wasted and still nothing I can eat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am 
Inflexitarian

Desdemona wrote:
My pet peeve yesterday was a department event to talk about and promote the English major at my university. This is an annual thing where undergrads are invited to lunch, and faculty and grad students on hand to answer questions, chat, etc. The peeve part is that the "lunch" was pizza - about a bazillion trillion boxes of pizza of every conceivable cheesy meaty variety - and nothing else. I generally assume there won't be anything substantial to eat at these sorts of events and don't get too bothered, but there is usually at least a salad or chips or SOMETHING. I think I felt so particularly bugged because of the sheer quantity of food; they had way over-ordered, but there was literally nothing I could eat. The fact that I'd rushed out yesterday morning without breakfast, taught for 75 minutes, and was starving probably played a role in my annoyance, and I'm sure the other grad students were grateful for the leftovers, but seriously - why can't people ever seem to conceive of eating anything other than meat and cheese??

Yeah, you'd think universities/academia in general would be better about this stuff, but no. I've been to conferences that had a large animal studies presence with many vegans and vegetarians presenting, but vegan food was still scarce. *Sigh.*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Efcliz wrote:
Yeah, that's what annoys me at work things - that there's so much wasted and still nothing I can eat.
It's crazy-making. And why is pizza always, always the automatic default food? Even if I ate it I'd get sick of having it at every damned thing!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's it. im getting a daiya cheddar wedge and making nachos.

im not that big of a daiya fan but if it tastes like velveeta im all for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 am 
Keepin' It Seal

My mom bought a daiya cheddar wedge for me because she saw it at WF and didn't know if I had tried it. I'm going to her house tonight to visit. I have half a mind to melt it down and mix it into pasta like velveeta shells and cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 am 
WRETCHED

Desdemona wrote:

When I went to college, we had companies come and recruit (talk about company, Q&A) and they'd always buy food when they did. Most of the companies would bring pizza and I didn't like pizza in college (well mostly, I didn't like the greasy kind where the bread tasted like cardboard). Some of the companies would bring in taco bars and I think even one company tried to fancy it up. But it was mostly pizza. These things happened on a weekly basis too so you'd think a company would try to distinguish itself by bringing something more than pizza but nope. I also have to say that CompSci was full of pizza loving guys so it didn't really matter to them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am 
Grandfathered In

LisaPunk wrote:
that's it. im getting a daiya cheddar wedge and making nachos.

im not that big of a daiya fan but if it tastes like velveeta im all for it.

You could also consider a wedge of Daiya jack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

A dead pigs head roasted in the middle of a table. It's unbelievably barbaric that anyone would think it looks appetizing and makes me want to cry seeing this shiitake on pinterest or instagram or whatever. It would be ok in a horror movie but on your table?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

linanil wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

When I went to college, we had companies come and recruit (talk about company, Q&A) and they'd always buy food when they did. Most of the companies would bring pizza and I didn't like pizza in college (well mostly, I didn't like the greasy kind where the bread tasted like cardboard). Some of the companies would bring in taco bars and I think even one company tried to fancy it up. But it was mostly pizza. These things happened on a weekly basis too so you'd think a company would try to distinguish itself by bringing something more than pizza but nope. I also have to say that CompSci was full of pizza loving guys so it didn't really matter to them.

When i went to college I still ate cheese, but having been raised in NYC and going upstate for college, I generally found the pizza, ie: Papa Johns and Dominos, to be terrible. Yea I'm a pizza snob even if I don't eat the stuff anymore.
The other thing I wonder is that so many people are lactose intolerant, or kosher, or gluten free, that how does anyone in this day and age remotely think that pizza is something every one can and will eat? vegan issues aside by ordering pizza and nothing else, you've already made sure no one with a gluten or lactose sensitivity can eat anything, and anyone on a kosher or halal diet can't either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Simply_Love wrote:
I don't hate Oreo eaters, it's just when people start dipping them in milk. That's when they get on my bad side. They're not as bad as people who eat cake in a bowl with milk though. Those people deserve to be locked away.

(I actually don't mind Oreos and am totally craving them (or the Newman's Own version, which I like better for some reason) right now. Totally wishing I had bought some Jo-jo's when I was at TJ's today.....)

What about apple pie in a bowl with milk?

It probably best we're on different coasts. Methinks I would repulse you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Someone just went ahead and ate my vegan meal at an academic conference when I arrived to lunch 10 minutes late last week, even though it had been specially put aside for me!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

frankly that calls for violence!!! >_<

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Nailed to the V

ndpittman wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:

What about apple pie in a bowl with milk?

It probably best we're on different coasts. Methinks I would repulse you.

Hold on, are we talking "cake/pie in a bowl" and a glass of milk? Or milk poured over the top like cereal? I find cream works better. Hey I could probably eat Oatly cream straight with a spoon. Or a straw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am 
ugh

I didn't know eating cake/pie in a bowl of milk/cream was a thing. I want to try it now.

And Oreos HAVE to be dipped in milk, they're too dry otherwise!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Imogen wrote:
Someone just went ahead and ate my vegan meal at an academic conference when I arrived to lunch 10 minutes late last week, even though it had been specially put aside for me!

Arrrrgh! I am mad on your behalf!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 pm 
Semen Strong

b.vicious wrote:
I didn't know eating cake/pie in a bowl of milk/cream was a thing. I want to try it now.

And Oreos HAVE to be dipped in milk, they're too dry otherwise!

I love strudel in a bowl of saucy vanilla custard. Oh my, the lily-gilding-decadence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

ugh anything in milk is disgusting. Milk is disgusting. I've eaten cereal dry since I was 2 cause milk is just terrible!

That sucks about the vegan meal being eaten!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ok I bought a daiya cheddar wedge today. Im gonna hold off on pepper jack for now. Im not a huge daiya fan so I wanna see if this cheddar one does indeed taste like velveeta. Do the wedges taste like the shreds cause the shreds are just ok to me. Im gonna make some nachos tonight. YUM! I even found a ripe avocado so I can make some guac.

I also found the earth balance popcorn and cheese poof things. Holy crepe is the popcorn bad for you! 11 grams of fat?!?!?! 7 grams polyunsaturated fat?!?!? Is that one of the good or bad ones?!?! I bought the popcorn even though the poofs were not nearly as bad for you cause they were the same price but the popcorn was 3 more oz.

The popcorn is ok. the first few handfuls I thought tasted like a pretty good equivalent to Smart Food but Smart Food definitely has more of a zing to it and is more flavorful. Then the next 20 handfuls I definitely tasted more of the butter flavor. At the very least it didn’t taste like Earth Balance which is good cause I think Earth Balance tastes really weird. I probably wont buy it again cause it’s $4 a bag and seems really bad for you but it’s serving its purpose for the day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The cheddar wedge tastes like processed American to me... I think it would make a good stand-in for Velveeta. I think it tastes different from the shreds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It seems to me that when people do something like order pizza for a group, the mindset is more along the lines of "what's the cheapest way to feed as many people as possible". They're actually not really trying to make sure that everyone can eat the thing. Sometimes it's ignorance (like they just haven't made the connection in their brain that people who couldn't eat the pizza didn't get to eat anything at all) and sometimes it's intentional (the idea being that if you can't eat what's offered, you should deal with that on your own), but I think it's way more likely that when it happens, it's because someone thinks that providing food for "most" people is "good enough", not because someone really didn't know that some people can't eat pizza.

This amateur psychological theorizing is brought to you by Dr. Choir "I Have No Idea What I'm Talking About" Queer. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 507  Next