| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 479  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
Yeah my biggest problem with that is kind of like its implied that these people who are supposedly offended don't understand dietary restrictions - self imposed or not. Like is it rude with someone with a fish allergy to visit Thailand and not wish to go into anaphylactic shock? Of course not, and people in Thailand might very well understand that without hurt feelings.
All of this, especially the last part; statements like Bourdain's imply that people of other cultures (or Grandma, for that matter) are somehow incapable of comprehending the idea that someone might have legitimate, personal reasons for choosing to eschew certain foods. When you give it a moment's thought, a statement like this is every bit as insulting to the putative "victims" of vegetarians' "rudeness" as it is to the vegetarians themselves.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:24 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

LisaPunk wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
linanil wrote:

My beagle had his dewclaws removed, probably when he was just a couple months old. He often licks the spot where they would've been. I feel bad that they took them from him.

Is that a beagle thing? Our little beagle mix is constantly tearing off his dew claws, and I've actually thought of having them removed. He is constantly licking at them where they still are!!

our beagle eats his paws CONSTANTLY. i thought it was a nervous twitch because he is fearful/timid but now im wondering if it's part beagle thing. he doesnt go for the dewclaws necessarily but just chows down on his paws. he's never done any damage to them which is weird to me (but good!) cause he really goes to town on them.
sometimes i want to taste one cause he seems to think they taste amazing

Chewing on paws might mean they're slightly allergic to their food.

About dewclaws being removed, i'm pretty sure it's mostly for aesthetics. Bonny had hers removed as a baby because she was being prepped for sale (ugh) just like her brothers and sisters and I know someone told me that little dogs tear their dewclaws so a lot of people do just remove them, but I don't know. Chester ripped one of his once because it got caught on something in the back yard, but other than that i've never met a dog who got their dewclaws forked up.

And then of course, I went to google:

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/0 ... _claws.php

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 am 
Chard Martyr

You know my uncle who is not coming to my wedding because the food is vegan? He bears an uncanny resemblance to Anthony Bourdain, and even his (clawing, grating, loud) voice is the same. Now that I am picturing Bourdain at my small wedding, I'm thrilled that he won't be coming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
Fee wrote:
Yeah my biggest problem with that is kind of like its implied that these people who are supposedly offended don't understand dietary restrictions - self imposed or not. Like is it rude with someone with a fish allergy to visit Thailand and not wish to go into anaphylactic shock? Of course not, and people in Thailand might very well understand that without hurt feelings.
All of this, especially the last part; statements like Bourdain's imply that people of other cultures (or Grandma, for that matter) are somehow incapable of comprehending the idea that someone might have legitimate, personal reasons for choosing to eschew certain foods. When you give it a moment's thought, a statement like this is every bit as insulting to the putative "victims" of vegetarians' "rudeness" as it is to the vegetarians themselves.

Ding ding ding.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Chewing on paws might mean they're slightly allergic to their food.

About dewclaws being removed, i'm pretty sure it's mostly for aesthetics. Bonny had hers removed as a baby because she was being prepped for sale (ugh) just like her brothers and sisters and I know someone told me that little dogs tear their dewclaws so a lot of people do just remove them, but I don't know. Chester ripped one of his once because it got caught on something in the back yard, but other than that i've never met a dog who got their dewclaws forked up.

And then of course, I went to google:

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/0 ... _claws.php

Often it is done for esthetics. But some dogs/breeds do have legitimate problems with dewclaws regularly catching on things. I had a few in daycare that had very prominent, sticky-outie dewclaws that were prone to injury. One dog did end up injuring himself badly enough one weekend on a trail run that they opted to have them removed as it wasn't his first time injuring himself fairly badly. But I don't think it should be an automatic thing and something to consider when they're getting fixed if there's been problems with them in the past.

And yes, foot licking is a very common indication of allergy, often food but sometime environmental. Those of you who have complained about your beagles having soft stools and sensitive bellies, if they are also foot licking, it's time to keep looking at diet. But my chihuahua foot licks a lot when her seasonal allergies flare up. Which reminds me to pick up some benaldryl.

That said, dogs that start to lick their feet due to allergies/discomfort often continue to do so when the discomfort has passed because it is self soothing. Dogs that are somewhat neurotic or anxious that have had a problem with allergies often learn that the licking made them feel better and then continue it later on and it can become obsessive for some and they lick themselves into epic hotspots.

Oh yes, dogs are fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

You lot are my bloomin' vegan pet peeve! I just had to go inspect Lexi to see if she has dew claws because I saw all you lot posting about them. Now she is awake again. Gee fricking thanks! I hate you all!!!! *flounces away*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:12 pm 
WRETCHED

Moon wrote:

That said, dogs that start to lick their feet due to allergies/discomfort often continue to do so when the discomfort has passed because it is self soothing. Dogs that are somewhat neurotic or anxious that have had a problem with allergies often learn that the licking made them feel better and then continue it later on and it can become obsessive for some and they lick themselves into epic hotspots.

Oh yes, dogs are fun.

Yeah it is weird, he doesn't do it often and not enough to do it to make it raw but it seems to be a self soothing thing for him. He seems to do it when he is content and at night. It is just such a weird thing for him to lick only in the spot where he had dewclaws.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

When I worked at a vet clinic in high school I saw a lot (well, it seemed like a lot) of bloody, half torn off dew claws. I wouldn't do it automatically, but after that it would only take one or two incidences before I'd have them removed. Some just stick out more, or the dogs are wilder. I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Invictus wrote:
When I worked at a vet clinic in high school I saw a lot (well, it seemed like a lot) of bloody, half torn off dew claws. I wouldn't do it automatically, but after that it would only take one or two incidences before I'd have them removed. Some just stick out more, or the dogs are wilder. I don't know.

And people neglect those nails way more than other nails, so they get longer, grow faster and catch on things really badly. One dog at work was a husky mix and got her dewclaw caught on her collar loop - it was almost curled all the way around. Luckily I caught it in time and was able to whack them back so it didn't happen again. But she was so scared and would have injured herself quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
Moon wrote:

Oh yes, dogs are fun.

Yeah it is weird, he doesn't do it often and not enough to do it to make it raw but it seems to be a self soothing thing for him. He seems to do it when he is content and at night. It is just such a weird thing for him to lick only in the spot where he had dewclaws.

this is exactly what i think Marty's paw chewing is. he does it randomly and has never licked them raw or even dented the pad. it seems to be very self-soothing to him. he's a super sensitive dog. he was extremely fearful when we got him and had pretty bad abandonment issues and seperation anxiety. now he is totally cool at home when we are both there and sometimes will flounce off to a pillow, hurrumph us, and have a paw eating sesh. we've had him on different foods since we got him and high protein/grain free seems to do best for his poops. i actually cant remember the last time we actually had to go get his anal sacs expressed.

my vegan pet peeve du jour is Stop and Shop (large chain grocery store in New England, i think they have them in the South but they are called Giant). every single goddamn time i find a new product that #1 i can eat and #2 i like they take it off the shelf. im not much of a yogurt eater since going vegan. i thought all the soy yogurt i tried tasted like aspartame. but since becoming pregnant i was looking for more protein and calcium so i started eatig the Stonyfield O'Soy yogurt and actually liked it. yep it's gone now. after like maybe a month or 2. now they have Stonyfield "blends" whatever that is i didnt even look. and then next to that they have some brand of "lactose free" yogurt which obviously isnt vegan.

AHHHHHH!!!! so frustrating.

and if we're talking about Anthony Bourdain let's not forget when he said vegans are worse than terrorists!!! meh. i think he just likes to say shiitake to get attention so i say why bother.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:52 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:

my vegan pet peeve du jour is Stop and Shop (large chain grocery store in New England, i think they have them in the South but they are called Giant). every single goddamn time i find a new product that #1 i can eat and #2 i like they take it off the shelf. im not much of a yogurt eater since going vegan. i thought all the soy yogurt i tried tasted like aspartame. but since becoming pregnant i was looking for more protein and calcium so i started eatig the Stonyfield O'Soy yogurt and actually liked it. yep it's gone now. after like maybe a month or 2. now they have Stonyfield "blends" whatever that is i didnt even look. and then next to that they have some brand of "lactose free" yogurt which obviously isnt vegan.

I was just griping about a store the other day and it was Giant! I don't usually go there because they are overpriced but they used to carry a ton of vegan stuff but now a lot of that stuff is gone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Giant is overpriced? They are far cheaper than Food Lion and Wegmans here. Food Lion doesn't carry anything vegan except soy milk; tofu if lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:06 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, they used to sell soy ice cream for $6-$7 when you could get it at WF for $4-5. Other things are more expensive there as well, fruits, veggies, etc. In comparison to other grocery stores in the area, I thought both Safeway and Food Lion/Bloom were cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Interesting. Most things are at least $1 more at Food Lion (it used to be a Bloom).

Contadino crushed tomatoes are 1.29 at Giant normally; 2.49 at Food Lion. Amy's baked ziti is 4.69 at Giant; 6.99 at Food Lion, but I think they've now phased out most of the stuff Bloom sold.

Avocados at food lion at usually 2/$4-$5 instead of 1.50 each.

I am assuming this is because the Food Lion is a mile away, but Giant is 16 miles away and at the start of the populated areas.

Where I teach GED, there is only a Food Lion unless you drive an hour rt. some wealthy areas, but many poorer ones. People are ecstatic at the Walmart being built because they feel they will be have affordable food options finally. Food Lion gouges if they have no competition and they sell very little produce. What they do sell is poor quality and enormously expensive. It makes me so angry. Cheap rents and expenses combined with a pretty captive clientele should mean same or cheaper prices, not huge markups.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Desdemona wrote:
Fee wrote:

Yep. And how condescending is it to assume that people in these countries live for nothing more than feeding foreigners? That they will be crushed if you kindly refuse their free food? Is being vegan more rude than bringing TV crews into people's homes?

Also, I live in a place that's way more meat- and dairy-centric than most of the places Bourdain visits, yet I'm able to move through life without offending anyone with my dietary choices.

Also also, my grandma isn't a dictator about food. If I'm at her house, I'll still eat vegan stuff and she'll be supportive and cool.

Finally, he was annoying on Archer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:30 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My only experience with Food Lion stores is when I lived in NC 10 years ago, but even then they had a really sad selection of produce.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:51 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a pet peeve about Stop & Shop. They only stock all that weird pseudo-vegan cheese products, you know, the ones with casein? And next to that, Nayonaise. Who uses Nayonaise? This whole section, which is near the tofu, appears untouched.

In the regular dairy section they have Tofutti cream cheese in stock about 5% of the time, and Tofutti sour cream in stock 50% of the time.

I really think they need a more up to date buyer for their natural/vegan foods section. The products they stock seem outdated. Outdated as in there's no vegan friendly person on staff to say, "Daiya is the new big thing, let's bring some of that in!" (Not outdated as in expired)

Some Daiya would really be great. And Vegenaise. And Tofutti that's actually in stock. I have been thinking for literally years that I should approach a manager about this. But I never do because frankly, in a defeatist Eeyore sort of way, I doubt it will do any good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:54 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

erynne936 wrote:
I really think they need a more up to date buyer for their natural/vegan foods section. The products they stock seem outdated. Outdated as in there's no vegan friendly person on staff to say, "Daiya is the new big thing, let's bring some of that in!" (Not outdated as in expired)

This might sound cranky old lady-esque, but you could totally write your local store a letter expressing your concerns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
WRETCHED

At my Giant, they got rid of tofu, no tofutti cream cheese, no soyrizo, no non-dairy ice cream, no whatever (they used to have that stuff). I think when Wegman's comes in (2 months?), it is going to kill the 2 Giants that are near me (I'm kind of in the middle between 2, 1 mile one way, another mile the other way).

I'll admit I rarely shop at regular grocery stores though. On the weekends, I usually drive 10 miles to go to a mostly organic grocery store. Sometimes hit up the Asian markets, sometimes go to Trader Joe's.

Last edited by linanil on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:56 pm 
Chip Strong

Limone wrote:
erynne936 wrote:

This might sound cranky old lady-esque, but you could totally write your local store a letter expressing your concerns.

I know, I know. But see paragraph 4 where I really doubt it will make any difference. Which is really negative of me I know. Maybe I will put on my to do list.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

They might not be aware that they aren't properly serving that market...I definitely think it would be worth a try.

That said, I have been unsuccessful so far in getting Meijer to carry Daiya instead of the Veggie Shreds that I'm sure they throw away constantly when they expire.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Our Giant has decent enough produce and the natural foods section is decent. They don't have yogurt, but usually have Tofutti, they sell tofu, tempeh, Gardein, and vegan harvest and Tofutti frozen pizza plus lots of ice cream and ice cream ar choice.

Not the selection of Wegmans, but no real complaints.

The Giant five miles further down the road is a ghastly pit of a place. I'd rather shop at Walmart.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh which was weird, ours added Gardein but tofutti pizza was one of the things they got rid of. They basically cut their 'natural foods' aisle in half and got rid of mostly everything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:

I just wanted to note that Stonyfield soy yogurt isn't vegan (but I agree that it's maddening when stores play bait and switch with products): http://www.vegblog.org/archive/2007/08/28/osoy-yogurt-not-vegan/

The Trader Joe's soy yogurt is vegan; I love the vanilla and buy it by the quart, but the peach and strawberry are also good come in individual containers.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm 
Cranky

erynne936 wrote:
I have a pet peeve about Stop & Shop. They only stock all that weird pseudo-vegan cheese products, you know, the ones with casein? And next to that, Nayonaise. Who uses Nayonaise? This whole section, which is near the tofu, appears untouched.

In the regular dairy section they have Tofutti cream cheese in stock about 5% of the time, and Tofutti sour cream in stock 50% of the time.

Some Daiya would really be great. And Vegenaise. And Tofutti that's actually in stock. I have been thinking for literally years that I should approach a manager about this. But I never do because frankly, in a defeatist Eeyore sort of way, I doubt it will do any good.

Some Stop & Shop stores do have Daiya! The one in Woburn did, and it wasn't even a very big store.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11953 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 479  Next