| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 426  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am 
Chard Martyr

Regarding the ham soup--some people are just shitty at wording. It's obviously not a meat-free lifestyle. It's a reduced-meat lifestyle, and I would be encouraging even though it's gross that they added the ham, obviously. You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. I have many friends who are aware that animal products are not very ethical/healthy/environmentally friendly to consume, so they reduce a bit, and it's a step.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

annak wrote:
My cat keeps humping things - blankets, sweaters, pillows - and I want him to stop, but I don't really want to suppress his sexual expression because that seems emotionally harmful and not very vegan. And it's not very vegan to put my needs above his, but on the other hand, I kind of want my slanket back.

My sister had a cat named Meow. Meow took a liking to a fluffy white Persian plush kitty that looked like him. This became his girlfriend. Maybe get your cat a kitty equivalent to a blow up doll!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:24 am 
Flounceiad 2011

vijita wrote:
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative.
Aaand sigged!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

annak wrote:
I called him a macro-vegetarian - he'd only eat animal parts that weren't big enough to see!

i love this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
annak wrote:
My cat keeps humping things - blankets, sweaters, pillows - and I want him to stop, but I don't really want to suppress his sexual expression because that seems emotionally harmful and not very vegan. And it's not very vegan to put my needs above his, but on the other hand, I kind of want my slanket back.

My sister had a cat named Meow. Meow took a liking to a fluffy white Persian plush kitty that looked like him. This became his girlfriend. Maybe get your cat a kitty equivalent to a blow up doll!

haha, in high school my bf's mom had a small white dog, who had a little teddy bear he would hump all the time.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've never heard of a cat humping things though. I'm so intrigued. They seem far too dignified for humping.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

njak wrote:
This is the vegan pet peeves thread. I thought it was okay to express my peeve here. I didn't and wouldn't criticize her.

i say rant away. this is totally the appropriate place for that and i agree it's totally annoying. i mean dont call yourself a vegetarian if you're eating ham soup ;-)

i also agree that it's not the best tactic to throw stuff like that in peoples' faces when they are trying but i didnt get the impression you did that.

i think when people start saying chicken stock is ok for vegetarians to eat (that's the implication of things like eating stock or a "little ham flavor") it makes it hard for those of us who dont eat the stock cause then we have to have those super annoying conversations like "NO i dont eat chicken/beef stock!!! it's still meat!!!!"

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
I've never heard of a cat humping things though. I'm so intrigued. They seem far too dignified for humping.

I bet all cats do it in secret, when they think no one is looking.

ETA: whatever you do, do not google image search "cats humping"

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Chard Martyr

Desdemona wrote:
vijita wrote:
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative.
Aaand sigged!

Ha! I love that I was being completely naively hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:59 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

A few companies I dig for vegan stuff has been on the evil GMO support list. The main one being Light Life, I want to avoid them but there goes a lot of my meals and future projects. I try to avoid things like Silk - I will only get it in my coffee if that is my only option at a coffee house...What does a ethical vegan do?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know what the evil GMO support list is but Lightlife says they don't use GMO ingredients in their products. They are owned by ConAgra though so I can imagine people have issues with that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I believe it is a Con-Agra thing...They did not want to see labeling of GMO products being passed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Ahh ok, I've already mentioned (possibly in this thread) that based on the bill that was being put up, I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't want to see it passed. I hope California (or even the US in general), comes up with a GMO labeling bill that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm 
Semen Strong

We can hear the feral cats outside mating, and our black cat Carlito, who was fixed later in life, starts to vigorously hump anything in sight. Maybe your cat needs a soundtrack? Give him a pillow and start the music going. Meowchickameow meow!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Meowchickameow meow!
Look, I already got one new sig today, all right??

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

linanil wrote:
Ahh ok, I've already mentioned (possibly in this thread) that based on the bill that was being put up, I wouldn't blame anyone who didn't want to see it passed. I hope California (or even the US in general), comes up with a GMO labeling bill that makes sense.

Yeah, you can be an ethical vegan that supports companies that voted to not have that bill passed, because...well I wouldn't have voted yes on it.

Cause I read all this: http://saywhatmichaelpollan.wordpress.c ... al-damage/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Meowchickameow meow!

If you aren't going to have it I might rob it since I have none at all!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Meowchickameow meow!

Clearly you need to bump the weiners.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Vantine wrote:
Being pedantic instead of encouraging them is not really going to convince anyone to go vegan. We know it's not meat free but it's a big step in the right direction.

Speaking of not being encouraging or helpful...this type of comment is not particularly welcoming to new users.

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Fee wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, you can be an ethical vegan that supports companies that voted to not have that bill passed, because...well I wouldn't have voted yes on it.

Cause I read all this: http://saywhatmichaelpollan.wordpress.c ... al-damage/

Backed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

We had a blanket that my Gershwin made his bride...over and over again. I grabbed it with tongs and threw it in the garbage eventually.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

when my parents visited over christmas, they forgot their chihuahua's grungy sex baby in my apartment, and i still haven't mailed it back. every couple of weeks my mom calls to remind me that the dog starts keening for his lover about half an hour before bedtime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

missmuffcake wrote:
A few companies I dig for vegan stuff has been on the evil GMO support list. The main one being Light Life, I want to avoid them but there goes a lot of my meals and future projects. I try to avoid things like Silk - I will only get it in my coffee if that is my only option at a coffee house...What does a ethical vegan do?

I just avoid buying from those companies as much as possible. it's hard because some of them are always on sale, but at least the alternatives taste better. Even if the California law was flawed, I don't want to give a company who doesn't want to label their gmo's my money.
If only we could be as smart as Europe and ban GMO's already. Because you know creating superweeds and polluting everything with more and more toxic pesticides is obviously a good idea, among all the other problems GMO's bring to the environment and biodiversity issues.
I tend to not consider GMO's vegan because some of the altered DNA could be from animals. I can't fault people for not buying organic or non gmo all the time. It costs more and it's more work and I'm not perfect at it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 pm 
ugh

missmuffcake wrote:
annak wrote:

May I recommend Sharky Shark the pillow pet? He's my cat's favorite and he leaves the blankets alone since we got him.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Molly adores my beanie baby gorilla. He is on a shelf now, but when he used to be on the desk. Ear her playground, she would randomly go snuggle up to him. Bird does like her snuggles. I've never seen her do any sort of mating type behavior. She could be too young still, but girl conures are not sex fiends the way some birds are (one reason I got a conure--do not want to repeat the agony of egg binding we went through with our lovely lady tiel)

She is afraid of almost all other beanie babies, including the sweet looking pink and white cockatoo, but she likes the more menacing mountain gorilla. Go figure.

Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 426  Next