| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 497  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
I have another vegan pet peeve with myself (but not related to farts). Whenever I'm at the grocery store and see a baked good or snack with vegan on the package I'm compelled to buy it. I have really delicious raspberry rugelach now. And I mean, it's good, but like, I do not need to be eating this!

It's so true! I don't even like flavored popcorn and yet I feel compelled to try the earth balance stuff everyone's talking about and I will make a special trip to the store if there's a new vegan candy bar or whatever just because. I don't often have cravings for cupcakes but every afternoon I think about walking to Sprinkles to buy their vegan cupcake just because it exists.

I think it's a response to so many years of having no options and my brain is trying to make up for lost time??? I never cared about new products as an omni or even as a vegetarian. Stop it, brain!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:59 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I do that with coupons. If there's a coupon for a vegan item, I will feel compelled to buy the item just because it's vegan! And I can save a few cents on a product I wouldn't have otherwise bought!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
I have another vegan pet peeve with myself (but not related to farts). Whenever I'm at the grocery store and see a baked good or snack with vegan on the package I'm compelled to buy it. I have really delicious raspberry rugelach now. And I mean, it's good, but like, I do not need to be eating this!

I might never have a chance to eat this again, so I have to get it now, even though I am not hungry. Yep, been there, over and over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quote:
Like irradiation - none of the scaremongering stuff I've read about it is really true, but it's still a way to pass off crops as being fresher than they actually are.

Its also great for food safety though. Store bought sprouts are one area where it would come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

MOVE ON.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mrsbadmouth wrote:
MOVE ON.

Sorry I just finished reading the thread (anyways irradiation is a totally different issue)

anyways

my pet peeve .... the "less than 1%" section of ingredient lists...really it NEEDS that whey, seriously??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ndpittman wrote:

Guilty. I will buy anything vegan once, even if it's something I don't expect to like. One of the worst foods I have EVER eaten was vegan "liver"... It was made out of eggplant and I don't know what the fork they did to it to make it so vile, but the taste was so bad that I still remember it almost a decade out.

But if I saw another brand of it and it was labeled vegan liver!!! I'd fall for that trick all over again. Because, you know, vegan.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have no desire to try vegan Leberkäse I saw in Austria.

I have to admit though:
- I love vegan pate, meat pate used to make me gag
- I eat vegan mayonnaise, I wasn't able to eat egg mayonnaise (I would always replace it with sour cream in salads)
- I eat vegan minced meat, I used to avoid minced animal meat
- I used to hate bacon (and eat it only when I was really poor), I sometimes make tempeh / eggplant / tofu "bacon"
- cow milk caused me nausea, I can drink plant milks
- one non-vegan thing I do miss are - sardines

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I once tried vegan fake frog in Japan just because, youse guys, FAKE FROG. I'm pretty sure it was just breaded deep fried mushrooms in sauce, which is delicious either way, but still, they could've given me a raw carrot and called it vegan frog and I would've ordered that dish, 'cause I'm a sucker.

There's a restaurant (Gasthaus Schillinger I think) that makes a vegan deer pate with little ginger root antlers sticking out of it. Even though I would find actual deer pate with actual antlers totally macabre, I've wanted an excuse to go back to Austria and eat that shiitake for YEARS, people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm allergic to shrimp and was amused when I heard about vegan fake shrimp. Its ironical to think now I'm vegan, I could eat shrimp again.

Vegan non-peeve: today is OREO DAY, yay!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I don't really have the issue of buying products just because they are vegan, but a pet peeve is that there are all these "special" vegan candy bars, chips, protein or granola type bars, fake meats, and that they are expensive. I don't have the budget for groceries like this, so I stick with beans, grains, noodle and pasta dishes, dried tvp use rather than crumbles, oatmeal, grow most of my vegetables, etc. And I have to insist over and over again to people who inevitably ask about what I eat, don't listen and start saying "But isn't being vegan sooo expensive?!" while I am talking about some great dinner I made for about $2 total, or something. Then they will keep going on about, "But don't you have to buy, like, fake stuff, blah blah, calling my food fake and expensive when they haven't taken the time to even hear me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ndpittman wrote:

Ooh I totally do this, with anything new and vegan or anything that's been verified delicious by the ppk. Exhibit a: speculoos butter. Normally, I wouldn't have looked twice at that tasty little jar of fat and sugar. Exhibit b: (much healthier) Dave's Killer Bread. I feel compelled to buy all the vegan things because what if no one buys them and I never see them again? I must support the vegan option!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

ashley wrote:
I do that with coupons. If there's a coupon for a vegan item, I will feel compelled to buy the item just because it's vegan! And I can save a few cents on a product I wouldn't have otherwise bought!

This is me!! I feel guilty if I don't use the coupon! Especially if I can get a product that's normally $5 for like $1.50 with coupons. I just cannot pass up a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love trying new vegan stuff! Like rhelune mentioned, there's a lot that I didn't like before I went vegan that I like the vegan version of. I used to hate bacon as an omni but I love tempeh bacon. I don't care how gross it sounds, I'll try almost anything vegan once (to be fair, I can be a pretty gross person sometimes).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 am 
Nailed to the V

On the other hand, my mum and my MIL buy me all sorts of tasty crepe that says 'vegan' on it, because "hey I found something you can actually eat!"

which is cool, but seriously, I cannot get through three cartons of chocolate soya milk a week!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:13 am 
Keepin' It Seal

stellamarie wrote:
Ooh I totally do this, with anything new and vegan or anything that's been verified delicious by the ppk.

The PPK seal of approval is the best endorsement any product can have. I HAD to run out and get peanut chews, Chik-o-sticks, those fudge-covered oreo things, the keebler peanut butter fudge stick things, I even signed up for swaps just so I could try tartex, cheezly, hagelslag, and vegan kit kats. the list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Moon wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

And just because something isn't technically food doesn't mean it's not vegan.

Oreos?

Yeah, I really don't consider Oreos food. Yuck!

Guess you two aren't on the Paleoreo diet. Sucks for you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I totally do that with vegan things I wouldn't normally buy. As in the frozen pizza that has been in my freezer for months and I bought just because it said vegan, although I make better pizza from scratch and never eat pre-prepared food if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I always feel like I *have* to buy a vegan product I see to show support for it. My local grocery store just started carrying Daiya, so I bought a few bags to freeze to show them that there is a market for vegan cheese. At the farmer's market a booth that sells frozen tamales and what-not started carrying vegan tamales. Even though they were over-priced, I felt like I had to buy a package to show support for vegan options. Etc etc.

Edit: In retrospect, complaining about too many vegan options is a much better pet peeve to have than complaining about a lack of vegan options I suppose.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

One comes from the other- if there was vegan food everywhere we wouldn't feel compelled to buy what there is!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I buy vegan products just because to. Sometimes I get a winner or sometimes I get a loser. I will not buy $6 kale chips again because after trying a few brands I come to the conclusion I like my kale fresh or sauteed not dried out like tissue paper!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 am 
Bathes in Braggs

vegetable_assassin wrote:
And I have to insist over and over again to people who inevitably ask about what I eat, don't listen and start saying "But isn't being vegan sooo expensive?!" while I am talking about some great dinner I made for about $2 total, or something. Then they will keep going on about, "But don't you have to buy, like, fake stuff, blah blah, calling my food fake and expensive when they haven't taken the time to even hear me.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well, and not even "vegan" but just healthy. More expensive than, say, only bread and pb, but definitely less expensive than the vast majority of people's diets.

My work pet peeve is when the snacks come out in the morning and people take the accidentally vegan cookies before I can get one. (Maybe that's a peeve-brag - we get snacks mid-morning at work)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

joyfulgirl wrote:
stellamarie wrote:
Ooh I totally do this, with anything new and vegan or anything that's been verified delicious by the ppk.

The PPK seal of approval is the best endorsement any product can have. I HAD to run out and get peanut chews, Chik-o-sticks, those fudge-covered oreo things, the keebler peanut butter fudge stick things, I even signed up for swaps just so I could try tartex, cheezly, hagelslag, and vegan kit kats. the list goes on and on.

I made a new discovery at Pak n' Save that might be vegan (needs a double check): The Snack Artist Cookies
Oatmeal Creme Image

wait...vegan kit-kat...TELL ME MORE!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I always feel like I need to put $$$ towards showing support for places carrying vegan options. It's like, my duty. My tasty duty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

SkepticalVegan wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
stellamarie wrote:

I made a new discovery at Pak n' Save that might be vegan (needs a double check): The Snack Artist Cookies
Oatmeal Creme Image

wait...vegan kit-kat...TELL ME MORE!!!

70% Dark Chocolate kit kats! available in parts of Canada. Find yourself a canadian PPKer and bribe them with copious amounts of local goodies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 497  Next