| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 494  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:11 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Maybe you can say you're not eating the apps to save room for more sushi? Or bring edamame in pods. They take a while to eat, so it'll be something to busy yourself over so people don't notice you're not eating anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 am 
WRETCHED

Oh then I wouldn't worry about the appetizer then but again, if there is a few days before the event, I'd still tell the organizer/host about your dietary restriction. I'd feel horrible if I planned some food items for everyone to share but then didn't find out until the event that someone was left out due to a dietary restriction I didn't know about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am 
Chip Strong

linanil wrote:
Oh then I wouldn't worry about the appetizer then but again, if there is a few days before the event, I'd still tell the organizer/host about your dietary restriction. I'd feel horrible if I planned some food items for everyone to share but then didn't find out until the event that someone was left out due to a dietary restriction I didn't know about.

It's tonight. The friend announced the very specific list of planned apps yesterday. At that time I was surprised at the quantity of apps she was making when we had already planned sushi for dinner and I said something like "dont worry about me for food, my diet is too complicated, i'll make up for it in wine, lol". She is the type of person that is so nice she would feel terrible and try to come up with something gf vegan for me and frankly its not that easy even for me to come up with gf vegan apps - especially that other people might want to eat.
It was supposed to be a low key hangout with sushi takeout. It's a pet peeve that I am even spending time thinking about this. I sometimes wish I could go out without having people comment on what I am/am not eating and having to think about what I'll be eating I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am 
Chip Strong

joyfulgirl wrote:
Maybe you can say you're not eating the apps to save room for more sushi? Or bring edamame in pods. They take a while to eat, so it'll be something to busy yourself over so people don't notice you're not eating anything.

I thought about edamame, that might be a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am 
Chip Strong

It makes it extra complicated with gluten free in there, and it confuses people, and I can't give a succinct "for the animals" response (like that is ever succinct lol) because then i also have to explain that i also feel a lot better when i dont eat gluten but no im not celiac and by that time they are looking at me like i have 9 heads and doing the "what CAN you eat OMG???!!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

For me, the hardest part of being vegan hasn't been not eating foods. It's been rejecting people who make food and get all excited and then i have to tell them i won't eat it. All of my family and friends know me as a baker, cos i have loved baking since i was a wee little kid. So they'll make some scones or something and tell me i HAVE to try them, and give them my opinion. And than i just tell them that i'm sure it's delicious, but it doesn't fit with my diet and it feels awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

paprikapapaya wrote:
Olives wrote:
ashley wrote:
I decided to come here before I started ranting in the daiya thread. I am tired of vegan being lumped together with gluten free. I'm happy there are options for gluten-free people, but I like gluten. Every time I get excited about something bready (like those new daiya pizzas) being vegan and then see that it's also gluten free, my heart sinks a little.

This must be why omnis always seem to think vegans can't eat gluten. I like bread, god damn it.

This. I love gluten. Gluten, gluten, gluten.

YES. I love bread, I don't have an allergy or sensitivity, and it confuses people when those things are lumped together. I'm vegan, not gluten free, dammit.

A lot of the companies who make one type of allergy-free product like to be as inclusive as possible. Think of it from the other side, people who are gluten-free but AREN'T vegan can't really get a frozen pizza either, but if Daiya makes theirs GF then they have that whole market too. Also, if I see something in the GF aisle that looks tasty, like a cookie or crackers or whatevs, and then I look and it has eggs or milk, I get really annoyed because it's always something that could easily also be vegan.

I'm not GF but I love the Amy's vegan mac and cheese and I don't think you can even tell that it's GF.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

^Yeah I think that's really true. I like to bring baked goods to one of my evening classes this semester and I try to make things that are gluten free because there's one guy who can't have gluten and I know how it feels to not be able to eat snacks and it sucks!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

paprikapapaya wrote:
Olives wrote:
ashley wrote:
I decided to come here before I started ranting in the daiya thread. I am tired of vegan being lumped together with gluten free. I'm happy there are options for gluten-free people, but I like gluten. Every time I get excited about something bready (like those new daiya pizzas) being vegan and then see that it's also gluten free, my heart sinks a little.

This must be why omnis always seem to think vegans can't eat gluten. I like bread, god damn it.

This. I love gluten. Gluten, gluten, gluten.

YES. I love bread, I don't have an allergy or sensitivity, and it confuses people when those things are lumped together. I'm vegan, not gluten free, dammit.

The flip side is, as a gluten-free vegan it makes me crazy when there is a vegan option and a gluten-free option but not both. Like if I go to a vegan-friendly pizza place with vegan crust and vegan cheese but their gluten-free crust has eggs in it, which is ridiculously common, and so in spite of how accommodating they're attempting to be, I can only eat a salad. Gluten-free bread is also frequently not vegan, so there are lots of places with vegan sandwiches OR gluten-free sandwiches but not both. Or you can get gluten-free frozen ravioli and vegan frozen ravioli, for example, but there's no xgfx option available as far as I know. There are a ton of other things like that.

Though of course every time I'm complaining about lack of vegan gluten-free options, I have to remind myself that I probably live in the best place in the world to be a gluten-free vegan. And it's not like I can't go out for vegan gluten-free pizza everywhere, I just wish I could get it at Hot Lips!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 pm 
WRETCHED

It appears non-vegan gluten free people have plenty of options for commercial pizza chains, including Dominos (although I thought they always had the worst pizza) so I'm not sure that they have the same/fewer options as us as they appear to have more options.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 pm 
Chip Strong

strawberryrock wrote:
The flip side is, as a gluten-free vegan it makes me crazy when there is a vegan option and a gluten-free option but not both. Like if I go to a vegan-friendly pizza place with vegan crust and vegan cheese but their gluten-free crust has eggs in it, which is ridiculously common, and so in spite of how accommodating they're attempting to be, I can only eat a salad. Gluten-free bread is also frequently not vegan, so there are lots of places with vegan sandwiches OR gluten-free sandwiches but not both. Or you can get gluten-free frozen ravioli and vegan frozen ravioli, for example, but there's no xgfx option available as far as I know. There are a ton of other things like that.

Though of course every time I'm complaining about lack of vegan gluten-free options, I have to remind myself that I probably live in the best place in the world to be a gluten-free vegan. And it's not like I can't go out for vegan gluten-free pizza everywhere, I just wish I could get it at Hot Lips!

Yes, as a gf vegan eggs are the bane of my existence!!! Actually my sister is gf but not a vegan, and she happens to be allergic to eggs! She she can't eat a lot of gf stuff either. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

A lot of people with celiac disease also can't eat dairy, so that's another reason why gluten-free and nondairy are often lumped together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:36 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I understand the inclusiveness from the point that it makes sense to catch-all allergens instead of one, but I'd love to buy a gluteny cupcake in this city, but the vegan bakery is also gluten-free. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My pet peeve that I had forgotten about until today at lunch are veggie burgers served on a bun that are too soft too be eaten on a bun so when you take a bite the "burger" squishes out the other side. I just went out for lunch with a friend at a nearby new restaurant and the curried lentil burger was very tasty but there was no way I could eat it by hand . I took the top of the bun and ate it with a knife and fork. It was nice and made in house but *not a burger*. I think next time I have to order a veggie burger I will ask for it to be served on a bed of greens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 pm 
And you never will.

Clearly the solution is to come visit me, so I can make xgfx cupcakes for gf-ers and gluteny cupcakes for the rest of us! CUPCAKES FOR ALL!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 pm 
WRETCHED

I think of it like vegans and cheese, sure we get cheesy like products but they aren't cheese. Some people may really like them, some people don't, some people would rather have real cheese if real cheese was vegan. So like gluten free, if you like gluten, gluten free is often a poor substitute. I rarely eat vegan cheese because honestly I loved regular cheese so much. If I was gluten free, I doubt I'd eat gluten free baked goods very often because I just don't care for them for the most part. Some of them are ok but I think they'd make me miss my normal gluteny goodness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:48 pm 

Lately I've had several conversations where I've told people who are huge fans of Back to Eden, a bakery here, that it's all gluten-free, and they're really surprised. I don't know what witchcraft they use there (and it sucks for people with nut allergies, I think, because I think they use some nut flours?) but I feel like if a gluten-free cupcake tastes, um, really gluten-free, it's just not a very good cupcake and as a gluten-free vegan I don't want to eat it either! But then gluten-free shiitake also tends to be more expensive. I'm not trying to eradicate gluteny cupcakes from the planet or anything, don't worry, though. Also I'm sure that poopie's xgfx cupcakes are amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm sure poopie makes the best cupcakes. I've had Babycakes in NY and they were ok to try once but I didn't care for them. I just say its not the same, it can certainly approximate gluteny stuff but just not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:56 pm 

I agree that babycakes isn't the same, and their gluten-free cupcakes are especially not that great, though I like their toasties a lot. You can definitely tell that their cupcakes are gluten-free there, there's kind of this dryness to them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i've never eaten a babycakes cupcake. i either win or lose at being vegan in nyc. those jammy biscuits are the bomb, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've had some great gluten-free baked goods. I have no objection to eating gluten-free foods even though I'm not on a GF diet, I'm just tired of stupid people who don't understand the difference asking me why I don't eat gluten, because I do eat gluten, I just don't eat the animal foods. Or like when there's a potluck or something, the organizer contacting me to confirm I am vegan (nice of her) and then asking me if any of the people I barely know who are attending are gluten-free (why would I know that?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm 

I am super into their frosting and those damn toasties. Like, what even if a toastie? I don't know. I could eat them all day.

Back to Eden's cake is waaaay better though. And I feel like dismissing all gluten-free baked goods when you've had a few is a lot like the people who are like "I had vegan cake once and I didn't like it." I'm not saying DON'T eat gluten cake just because I can't have it, but it's not true that there aren't gluten-free baked goods that are just as good. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad gluten-free baked goods out there as well. I'm pretty picky about my cupcakes too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I've had quite a few gluten free things that I've tried and some have ranged from really bad inedible to just ok. I mean if someone made something gluten free, I'd certainly try it but I wouldn't seek out gluten free options especially if there are gluteny options available. Or if you gave me a choice of 'buy this $5 gluten free vegan cupcake or go cupcakeless", most likely I'd go cupcakeless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I was at a work dinner (that I didn't plan, usually I am the planner) and had some nasty gumbo they swore was vegan. Even though they garnished it with cheese.

I ate it anyway (sans cheese) and was sick ALL NIGHT. awful cramps.

But then again, I was drinking the water in New Orleans all week, and it had been making me sick too. so who knows. Good to be home where I can drink tap water and I know what I put in my food.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

strawberryrock wrote:

I totally agree. I've been vegan for over a year, and GF for a little over a month now. It worked for me, so I'm sticking with it. It drives me nuts how omnis think eggs have magical properties in baking, and apparently eggs are even more magical in GF baking. :( The options for eating out do tend to be mutually exclusive of one another, or the GF menu is nothing but meat and potatoes.

Which brings me to another peeve I've developed in the last month...the fact that a lot of GF omnis are all about the paleo.

Argh.

But I do have several really good local options, and I'm lucky to have that. I've had the Domino's pizza too and did not react negatively to it in spite of their warnings about cross contamination in their shared kitchen. La Rosa's in Cincinnati is one place I seriously miss, but their GF crust has dairy and GELATIN. Seriously, gelatin in a pizza crust? Eww.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 494  Next