| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 480  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Minatomachi wrote:
Well, we must be positive people (with a sweet tooth), because in a thread about peeves we always end up going on about nice things like oreos and frosting.

Yep...and I'm a "fixer" so I have a tendency to come in here and either want to or actually try to offer solutions.

And I'm totally an Oreo filling person. If I could just buy a tub of the filling that would be awesome. (And for some reason I'm thinking that existed not too long ago.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

linanil wrote:

I don't know if you have Jimbo's near you but they also have vegan baked goods. I never tried them though. My husband thought I was odd for starting at an entire display of vegan baked goods.

Jimbo's has the best vegan carrot cake I have ever had! I long for the days when they used to be on 30th Street, and apparently they are putting in a downtown location near Horton Plaza. Otherwise they are far away in No. County. I tend to hit them up on the way home from LA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've eaten too much cake recently and all this talk of cake is making me nauseous. Now my vegan pet peeve is that I can't read the vegan pet peeve posts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I don’t want to interrupt the great cake vs frosting debate (im on Team Frosting btw) but I have a rant. It’s not specifically a vegan rant but it’s animal welfare related.

Why do people think it’s ok/cute/great to just breed their dogs?!?!?!

Ive come across 2 acquaintances recently who were just yammering on about how either their dog was going to have puppies or their dog was the stud for a litter of puppies.
Apparently both of these people have supposedly purebred dogs so somehow they think that gives them permission to just add to the pet population cause it’s “cute”

Just because you have a purebred dog doesn’t mean you should breed it. it means you should get it FIXED and enjoy your PET. These people know nothing about health testing. It makes me so angry and then im supposed to ooh and ahh over pictures of the puppies cause they know im obsessed with animals and really it just makes me want to vomit cause I think of all the dogs getting euthanized because these idiots are breeding their dogs.

And im not even going to start ranting about my friends whom I just learned over the weekend just stopped giving their dog his thyroid meds. Im relatively certain the reason is because the vet wouldn’t keep prescribing the Rx unless they did a yearly blood panel (totally legit request! my own dog needs to go in soon for his yearly blood panel for his behavioral meds) and my friends didn’t want to pay for it. AHHHHHH!!!! DON’T GET ANIMALS YOU JACKASSES!!!!!!!!!!

GO TEAM FROSTING!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I will eat frosting until it makes me sick! Every time! Because I lurves it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am 
Semen Strong

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 am 
Semen Strong

doublepost

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am 
Chip Strong

I think I'm Team Cake. If pie is involved I'm definitely Team Crust.

However, I do like to eat leftover canned chocolate frosting out of the fridge with a spoon.

Why do the generally smart and thoughtful people I know continue to BUY purebred dogs when there are so many dogs sitting in the shelter needing homes? :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:02 am 
WRETCHED

Crust is why I don't like pie.

And I think people are convinced that animals in the shelter are damaged goods or difficult or what not. I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

linanil wrote:

And I think people are convinced that animals in the shelter are damaged goods or difficult or what not. I don't know.

Quoted for crust truth. Team Filling.

Also, yeah, why don't people just go to shelters? It's so annoying! I have this friend who is a generally intelligent human being and she wants to get a dog. I said she should get a shelter dog, but she really wants a German Shepherd. I didn't understand...you can get a German Shepherd from a shelter? You just might have to look a little harder. But she wants papers. Why? What the fork does it matter? She did say that she at least was going to get one from a rescue. Then I said something about not understanding why people want purebred dogs. When she pointed out that I have a purebred dog (Rowdy is a bordercollie), I was like, um...it doesn't matter? I just got him from a shelter. The fact that he is a bordercollie is superfluous. I mean, I guess his breed has something to do with his personality, but I wasn't looking for any particular type of dog, except not a small one (yappy barks make my head explode). She looked at me like I had 3 heads.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 am 
Smuggling Raisins

allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:
She looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Perhaps she'd be more intelligent with a couple additional heads.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:

i agree with this. i think alot of people think shelter dogs AUTOMATICALLY come with behavior issues.
soemtimes im embarassed because one of my dogs is such a bad advocate for shelter/rescue dogs becuase he does have a boatload of problems!!
that being said tons and tons and tons of awesome dogs are sitting in shelters.

i can understand people wanting a certain type of dog and a certain breed may be more in line with their personality than others but mutts are the best.
my husband and i knew we wanted a lab. strangely enough we had to look kinda hard to find one and we got what we assume is a lab mix (he might be purebred i dunno he's kinda small but i really could care less if he's a mix or purebred).
we just knew that a labby type dog would fit well with our personalities and lifestyle

that being said our second dog ended up being a hound mix. though the shelter called him a lab mix. lol.

mutts and shelter dogs are the best. backyard breeding should be illegal it's just wrong.
otherwise intelligent people just seem to not get this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

LisaPunk wrote:
And im not even going to start ranting about my friends whom I just learned over the weekend just stopped giving their dog his thyroid meds. Im relatively certain the reason is because the vet wouldn’t keep prescribing the Rx unless they did a yearly blood panel (totally legit request! my own dog needs to go in soon for his yearly blood panel for his behavioral meds) and my friends didn’t want to pay for it. AHHHHHH!!!! DON’T GET ANIMALS YOU JACKASSES!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, i'm actually worried that when Chester's currently bottle of meds runs out that this will be the time they tell me he needs the blood panel because a) I won't go to my vet anymore because she did me dirty so I just call to get the prescription filled at Walgreens and b) we're moving soon (like a month, and he has two weeks of pills left) so I don't want to find a new vet HERE for one visit. But my solution to that is just going to be to drive him to our new town for a vet visit, i'm not going to let his thyroid crash like a dick.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

Also, yeah, why don't people just go to shelters? It's so annoying! I have this friend who is a generally intelligent human being and she wants to get a dog. I said she should get a shelter dog, but she really wants a German Shepherd. I didn't understand...you can get a German Shepherd from a shelter? You just might have to look a little harder. But she wants papers. Why? What the fork does it matter? She did say that she at least was going to get one from a rescue. Then I said something about not understanding why people want purebred dogs. When she pointed out that I have a purebred dog (Rowdy is a bordercollie), I was like, um...it doesn't matter? I just got him from a shelter. The fact that he is a bordercollie is superfluous. I mean, I guess his breed has something to do with his personality, but I wasn't looking for any particular type of dog, except not a small one (yappy barks make my head explode). She looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Looking for a breed of dog in particular (or a mix with a particular breed in it) doesn't make you crazy. I know there are dog breeds I can not handle (labs, boxers, most terriers) and therefore I'm not going to adopt those dogs. I love sight hounds and a shepherd from the shelter is not likely to mesh well with me. I know most sight hounds do. So why can't I go through a greyhound specific rescue? My chihuahuas came from chihuahua rescue and could have easily ended up in a shelter if the breed specific rescue did not take them in.

And not all small dogs are yappy. Lots of border collies are. There's definitely something to breed specificity, and you don't understand her wanting a German shepherd just as I don't understand your generalization that all small dogs are yappy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she should be gunning for a shepherd just because she wants one. She could find lots of shelter dogs with similar personality and looks at a shelter. And I'm always telling people to not get hung up on breed and to focus on personality traits. But a dog adopted from a private rescue is just as worthy of a home as a shelter dog.

As for friends breeding their dogs? Those people know that I am not going to be their friend if they do. But that's something that's high on my list of things to be excessively vocal about.

ETA: team pie filling!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I like both cake and frosting, but I definitely think that crust is the only reason to even eat pie.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Moon wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

Looking for a breed of dog in particular (or a mix with a particular breed in it) doesn't make you crazy. I know there are dog breeds I can not handle (labs, boxers, most terriers) and therefore I'm not going to adopt those dogs. I love sight hounds and a shepherd from the shelter is not likely to mesh well with me. I know most sight hounds do. So why can't I go through a greyhound specific rescue? My chihuahuas came from chihuahua rescue and could have easily ended up in a shelter if the breed specific rescue did not take them in.

And not all small dogs are yappy. Lots of border collies are. There's definitely something to breed specificity, and you don't understand her wanting a German shepherd just as I don't understand your generalization that all small dogs are yappy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she should be gunning for a shepherd just because she wants one. She could find lots of shelter dogs with similar personality and looks at a shelter. And I'm always telling people to not get hung up on breed and to focus on personality traits. But a dog adopted from a private rescue is just as worthy of a home as a shelter dog.

As for friends breeding their dogs? Those people know that I am not going to be their friend if they do. But that's something that's high on my list of things to be excessively vocal about.

Oh and which reminds me, my inlaws are shepherd people but weren't always that way, they have had a ton of dogs. They get emails from shepherd rescues all the time. Some of the dogs are already highly trained. If you want a shepherd or a shepherd mix, there are a ton of them waiting to be adopted.

I got a beagle not on purpose but I love hounds and I was actually looking at various dogs at the shelter and ran into my beagle purely by accident. I am definitely going to look at greyhound rescues when we are ready for another dog at some point in the future because they seem to be great dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm 
Chip Strong

My shelter mutt (shepherd/retreiver) is so chill and generally well behaved.

My purebred (I assume) Sheltie (who we got from a woman that needed to get rid of him after having him from a shelter for less than a year) is the most neurotic crazy unstable reactive dog ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Moon wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

In my experience, the small dogs I have been around were mostly yappy. I guess I didn't explain myself well, or you just don't like my position. I do support her going to a rescue, though.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

erynne936 wrote:
My shelter mutt (shepherd/retreiver) is so chill and generally well behaved.

My purebred (I assume) Sheltie (who we got from a woman that needed to get rid of him after having him from a shelter for less than a year) is the most neurotic crazy unstable reactive dog ever.

That doesn't surprise me, shelties are known for being neurotic and typically do not do well in shelters. Maybe if he had never ended up in one, he'd be more stable now. Maybe not. My mother in law's shepX is mostly well behaved but also neurotic and spends most of his day in her bedroom and only comes down to socialize occasionally. When he was young he was a huge handful and needed a lot of work. So.... It can go either way.

Allularpunk, it just seems like you're really down on her because she's not willing to go into a shelter and just pick. I guess people with their pets are like people with their cars. Some people will go to the used car lot and pick a car that drives and fits their budget. Other people want to research gas usage, price of parts and insurance. Some people will say, only buy volkswagens. But I'm sorry if I'm just misreading your post or I'm just taking it the wrong way.

Linanil, do it! Especially if you're already used to scent hound hard headedness. I think our next dog will be a greyhound. Maybe. Because you never know who is going to pop in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Moon wrote:
Allularpunk, it just seems like you're really down on her because she's not willing to go into a shelter and just pick. I guess people with their pets are like people with their cars. Some people will go to the used car lot and pick a car that drives and fits their budget. Other people want to research gas usage, price of parts and insurance. Some people will say, only buy volkswagens. But I'm sorry if I'm just misreading your post or I'm just taking it the wrong way.

From my point of view, the problem is one should not consider buying an animal the same way as buying something inanimate like a car. Even people who like brand-new, luxury things should not keep that attitude when it means buying an animal from breeders rather than adopting one that needs it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Minatomachi wrote:
Moon wrote:

From my point of view, the problem is one should not consider buying an animal the same way as buying something inanimate like a car. Even people who like brand-new, luxury things should not keep that attitude when it means buying an animal from breeders rather than adopting one that needs it.

Right, but that's not what I'm saying at all and you're taking my comparison too literally.
Whether you walk in to a shelter and pick the first dog you think is cute, or you research breeds and go for a breed specific rescue where the dogs are in foster homes and they know their personalities better, you're still helping an animal in need. Both approaches have pros and cons and those pros and cons are going to weigh in differently for the prospective adopter. Plus most breed specific rescues are called to pull animals from shelters so either way a dog that was in a shelter gets helped.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I understand. I thought allularpunk was annoyed thinking the friend in question was not going to adopt a dog because of her wish for a purebred, but that was me not reading properly. I thought a shelter and a rescue were the same thing.

On the other hand, it's a fact that mutts have lesser chances of being adopted than purebreds, so a purebred fixation may not be doing much good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Minatomachi wrote:
I understand. I thought allularpunk was annoyed thinking the friend in question was not going to adopt a dog because of her wish for a purebred, but that was me not reading properly. I thought a shelter and a rescue were the same thing.

On the other hand, it's a fact that mutts have lesser chances of being adopted than purebreds, so a purebred fixation may not be doing much good.

Absolutely! I think I mentioned above that I always recommend people focus on personality over breed. Because the vast majority of people will find the characteristics they want from a pure bred in a mixed breed dog.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I want pie now. And frosting. Anyone read Hyperbole and a Half (a pet peeve of mine is that she hasn't posted in ages)? She had a post about cake vs pie. I think she might've suggested a hybrid as a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The author of that blog has been dealing with some serious depression issues for a long time, I don't really expect her to come back to it now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11978 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 480  Next