| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 544  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:06 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

sweet_potato wrote:
I want pie now. And frosting. Anyone read Hyperbole and a Half (a pet peeve of mine is that she hasn't posted in ages)? She had a post about cake vs pie. I think she might've suggested a hybrid as a solution.

She is having a serious struggle with depression. You can look her up on Reddit. She posts about it occasionally. I also miss her.

My family grew up with Bostons and when I went looking for one I got Pugged. I could go into the why we love smashy faces but I am not really into explaining myself. I am most likely going to get a Boston this April from a friend who is retiring a mama from her breeding program. I am not sure there is a rational way to explain the love of a certain breed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Minatomachi wrote:
I thought a shelter and a rescue were the same thing.

i never quite figured out what the difference was.

from my limited experience a shelter has a physical building where they house the animals.
a rescue does not? but rather is a network of fosters and such?????

my first dog we adopted from a rescue. he had been a stray and was in the pound with another dog they were caring for. they also had other dogs in foster homes but they did not have their own physical building (they are actually trying to build one).
a few years later i got a guinea pig from the same rescue who was at a foster home.

our other dog came from a shelter where he was with a bunch of other rescue dogs (and cats!).

i guess to me adopting from one or the other is essentially the same in the end because it's a homeless animal that needs a home?????

we dont really have kill shelters around here so to me it's 6 in one/half dozen the other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm 
WRETCHED

A shelter is usually run by the county and mostly funded by tax dollars although some are partially funded by donations, a rescue is run by volunteers or non-profit organizations, both of which tend to be funded by donations.

And it must be crappy friend day because one of my friends just said she ordered a dog from the breeder. Apparently the dog just had the puppies. We aren't close enough that I can tell her what the fizzle but I have expressed my displeasure with her in the past in regards to animals. A couple years ago, she got a small animal (hamster? guinea pig? I can't remember), I mentioned to her about finding a small animal vet and she thought I was crazy to even suggest taking a small animal to the vet. I then asked about her cat, she also thought cats didn't need to go to the vet. She did spend thousands of dollars on vet bills for her last dog but apparently she thinks dogs are the only ones worth taking care of medically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

poor small animal!!!
i take my piggies to the vet! they can be damn expensive creatures!

it's very sad because a lot of people think of small animals (hammies, piggies, bunnies) as "throwaway pets" and would never take them to the vet :-(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

linanil wrote:

And it must be crappy friend day

Yeah. A friend of mine (who calls herself a vegetarian), posted on facebook that she was getting a new car. She asked her facebook friends if she should get leather or cloth seats. Something like 12 people responded, all of whom said leather, except for me. I said, "am I remembering wrong that you're a vegetarian?" And another of her friends responded to that, "haha, yeah, don't eat the seats!" And she said, "yes, I'm usually [what?] a vegetarian and I'm taking into account the ethics of the choice as well."

She got leather seats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My hand me down car has leather seats and I hate them! I've always hated leather seats! Burns your legs in the summer and extra cold in the winter. And clearly she wasn't considering the "ethics of the choice" at all - what a dopey thing to say!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:11 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

lepelaar wrote:
I like both cake and frosting, but I definitely think that crust is the only reason to even eat pie.

truth. if i wanted all filling, i could just heat up some jam. when i was little, my mom would take the leftover crust dough that had been trimmed from around the pie pan and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it and cook it in the toaster oven for me, and it was better than any dumb pie. CRUST FOREVER.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

linanil wrote:
A couple years ago, she got a small animal (hamster? guinea pig? I can't remember), I mentioned to her about finding a small animal vet and she thought I was crazy to even suggest taking a small animal to the vet. I then asked about her cat, she also thought cats didn't need to go to the vet. She did spend thousands of dollars on vet bills for her last dog but apparently she thinks dogs are the only ones worth taking care of medically.

This actually made me cringe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Minatomachi wrote:

On the other hand, it's a fact that mutts have lesser chances of being adopted than purebreds, so a purebred fixation may not be doing much good.

Thank you for putting into words my actual problem with the situation. I wasn't being clear earlier.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That's how people feel about birds. I told somebody at work, who loves her cats, about taking Molly to the vet, and she couldn't understand it. People think small birds are like throwaways; just get a new one.

Even typing that makes my hands shake. There is only one Molly and she is the most amazing, sweet, wonderful creature I could possibly have in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

acr wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
I like both cake and frosting, but I definitely think that crust is the only reason to even eat pie.

truth. if i wanted all filling, i could just heat up some jam. when i was little, my mom would take the leftover crust dough that had been trimmed from around the pie pan and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it and cook it in the toaster oven for me, and it was better than any dumb pie. CRUST FOREVER.

YES!!! This is the BEST THING!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:23 pm 
WRETCHED

Which is why I don't talk to her about pet issues anymore. I could tell her how much I spent on my cats surgery or that I am performing follow up lab tests on my cat to test her urine crystallization (no news yet, I'm hoping the cat food is a success). If I tried to tell her that getting a puppy from a breeder is a bad idea, she'd just give me some excuse.

And I don't mind if people have breed preferences when it comes to animals. I love siamese cats which is why I will probably look towards the siamese cat rescue when we are ready for another cat. That doesn't mean I'd 100% get a siamese but the fact that they are not cats for everyone (really... loud mouth, can be skiddish, needy) and people buy them without knowing means they tend to end up in rescues. Same with many dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm 

Moon wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
My shelter mutt (shepherd/retreiver) is so chill and generally well behaved.

My purebred (I assume) Sheltie (who we got from a woman that needed to get rid of him after having him from a shelter for less than a year) is the most neurotic crazy unstable reactive dog ever.

That doesn't surprise me, shelties are known for being neurotic and typically do not do well in shelters. Maybe if he had never ended up in one, he'd be more stable now. Maybe not. My mother in law's shepX is mostly well behaved but also neurotic and spends most of his day in her bedroom and only comes down to socialize occasionally. When he was young he was a huge handful and needed a lot of work. So.... It can go either way.

Yes, once we had him for a day it was apparent that if we didn't keep him he was going to end up going from home to home for all eternity because of his extreme issues. Someone had obviously tried to train him by using a spray bottle and now he is intensely reactive to all things that resembles a spray bottle - windex, lysol, dish soap, air freshener, laundry detergent bottles, plus a million other weird things - the list goes on and on. It's a shame really. Poor little guy. Actually he is a big guy. He is a 45 lb Sheltie. He's not overweight, just large. So, I don't know if the shelter contributed to his issues, but his prior "training" definitely did. Anyhow, purebred not necessarily better than mutt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ugh, arguing about breeders. My dad is retired and has been talking about getting a dog, but he insists he must have a purebred dog from a breeder because of the "lineage". That shiitake makes me so sad and crazy. He has some issues with allergies so not all breeds would work for him, but it is possible to find a shelter dog that would suit his needs if he puts his mind to it. Growing up we actually had a couple of purebred poodles that came from breeders... now, I will say that both of them were very sweet, intelligent dogs, but they also had health problems like you wouldn't believe. The youngest one only lived to 9 because she had epilepsy and all these breathing problems. Maybe he's forgotten that because when he split with my mom she was the one who kept the dog, and my mom and I were the ones that had to had get her to eat epilepsy medicine 3x per day and care for her when she still had breakthrough seizures. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:05 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Oh that slippery slippery slope!

My now ex-vegan roommate went ovo-vegetarian last month, but still said she wasn't eating dairy. Now I see feta cheese and non-vegan yogurt. I mean, that slippery slope is slippery, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

We went to a play and the play director was holding down the concession stand, offered the boyfriend a beer and my boyfriend then said, he only drinks vegan beer, she then tells him she is vegan and my boyfriend was like "you need to meet my girlfriend!", she replied "I am married"...Um? So I meet her, she tells me she used to be vegan and now is veg, was awkward and I felt weird. :/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Limone wrote:
Ugh, arguing about breeders. My dad is retired and has been talking about getting a dog, but he insists he must have a purebred dog from a breeder because of the "lineage". That shiitake makes me so sad and crazy. He has some issues with allergies so not all breeds would work for him, but it is possible to find a shelter dog that would suit his needs if he puts his mind to it. Growing up we actually had a couple of purebred poodles that came from breeders... now, I will say that both of them were very sweet, intelligent dogs, but they also had health problems like you wouldn't believe. The youngest one only lived to 9 because she had epilepsy and all these breathing problems. Maybe he's forgotten that because when he split with my mom she was the one who kept the dog, and my mom and I were the ones that had to had get her to eat epilepsy medicine 3x per day and care for her when she still had breakthrough seizures. :(

Yeah, but if he has to be super selective due to allergies, those rescue dogs available to him will more likely be back yard breeder castoffs and have health issues despite "hybrid vigour". Maybe you can pursuade him to look at breed specific rescues at least?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, that's true, and it's not like he wouldn't care for the dog if it did turn out to have health issues. We talked about breed-specific rescues, but his main holdup with that is that he wants "the lineage". Why?!? Arrrrrgh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think it's common to want the type of dog you grew up with or have fond memories of. I grew up with mutts mostly, so when we went to adopt Chester and they asked me what kind of dog I wanted I said, "I dunno...medium sized? Nothing too tiny and nothing that's going to tear my arm off on walks." I met one dog who was SUPER hyper, and then I met Chester. We took him home five minutes later, he was really into me and seemed pretty chill. Now that I have him, I have a soft spot for beagles.

I never knew I wanted a little dog until I got Bonny, and I loved her a lot and she was the best dog, but when people commented on how she made them want a Yorkie, i'd tell them that her parents and siblings were total annoying crassholes. I would not get a yorkie again unless I could get one that was fostered or who had been with a rescue group so they could tell me which dog is more chill and less ankle nipper.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

acr wrote:
if i wanted all filling, i could just heat up some jam.

But pecan pie, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, lemon pie, sugar pie, maple pie and many others have fillings that are nothing like jam, and they're my favorites! Same for fruit pies, unless one uses those horrible canned fillings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:49 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

See for that reason I pretty much refuse to make those crusts and use store bought. I'm not going to make stupid crust, it's the part I try to avoid anyway.

But fruit pie crust is yum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My pet peeve is a general produce peeve, I guess.

I went to the store today because I needed avocados for tonight's dinner, and they were on special (yay!) but they were all horribly under-ripe and would've taken days to ripen in a paper bag (boo!) so I had to pay twice as much for the avocado mush that Wholly Guacamole makes.

In conclusion, avocados. I love them, but I don't want to have to plan my avocado containing meals days in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:29 pm 

Freetahtah wrote:
My pet peeve is a general produce peeve, I guess.

I went to the store today because I needed avocados for tonight's dinner, and they were on special (yay!) but they were all horribly under-ripe and would've taken days to ripen in a paper bag (boo!) so I had to pay twice as much for the avocado mush that Wholly Guacamole makes.

In conclusion, avocados. I love them, but I don't want to have to plan my avocado containing meals days in advance!

Yes! Avocados are produce roulette! Even if you do need one ripe and you find a ripe one it's often been mistreated and is useless and grey and icky inside. That's $2 in the trash around here! I try to buy them hard and let them ripen on my counter, but even then... you can't buy too many or they all ripen on the same day. I try to stagger my avocado purchasing, limit to unripe, and remind myself not to buy too many, even if they're on sale.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

A friend of mine is throwing himself a vegetarianism-quitting party.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Jigglypuff wrote:
A friend of mine is throwing himself a vegetarianism-quitting party.

Hah, invite my roommate? Well, she's not eaten meat that I know of, but...yeah. So weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 544  Next