| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm 
ugh

Re: avocado + banana ripening tip - it also helps if you put them in a paper bag together and close the top with a chip clip or something. Just don't forget to check on them!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
It was at Max & Dylan's but they do a Monday night thing where they serve the menu of Papagayo. I've never been to the actual Papagayo so I wasn't sure about their vegan-ness.

What the hell?! I hope this was just a Max & Dylan's screw up and not a regular Papagayo's thing. I work right next to that restaurant and have eaten there a few times.

wait, so Papagayo's rice is normally vegan? If I go to the Monday night thing again I'm going to ask them again- or maybe I'll email Papagayo's and see what they say.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

There is a cable commercial that is on all the time. A girl walks in sees her mom cooking, looks at a tray of meat and says "mom, *guy name* is coming over for lunch and he is vegetarian!"...Mom gets online and whips up something vegetarian thanks to her high speed connection. Then it shows the family eating, the boyfriend is pleased and the dad keeps looking at his plate in disgust and rolling his eyes.

I hate this commercial!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

rhelune wrote:
My last avocado batch took 10 days to ripen, of which 7 days under bananas.

Huh. Guess it doesn't work for everyone.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Simply_Love wrote:
Ugh, try having to explain to people why you'd 1) have pet rats in the first place and 2) spend more money a year on them a year at the vet than you do on your two dogs and two cats combined (seriously! those little buggers were expensive).

Most people seem to be able to just leave it at an eye roll for rabbits or guinea pigs, but pretty much everyone feels the need to express their disgust for you having "vermin" and make sure to let you know that you're completely insane for taking them to the vet, as well as for even having them as pets in the first place.

Whatever, my little furballs were awesome and they were worth every penny.

High five, fellow rat person! Though I am easing myself out - the rat rescue game can be emotionally exhausting as rats have all the medical weirdness of rabbits and piggies but you only get a couple years of life out of them. Plus I'd like to be a proper quarantine foster home for my friends who rescue regularly.

I have a local vet that I only use for super emergency euthanasias, a slightly less local vet for less complicated issues like respiratory infections and getting revolution for lice and mites, and then the vet that's a proper drive into the city for weird cases/surgeries.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 pm 
ugh

Quarantined wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
It was at Max & Dylan's but they do a Monday night thing where they serve the menu of Papagayo. I've never been to the actual Papagayo so I wasn't sure about their vegan-ness.

What the hell?! I hope this was just a Max & Dylan's screw up and not a regular Papagayo's thing. I work right next to that restaurant and have eaten there a few times.

wait, so Papagayo's rice is normally vegan? If I go to the Monday night thing again I'm going to ask them again- or maybe I'll email Papagayo's and see what they say.

I assumed it was since I ask them to leave out any dairy stuff. I've never asked about meat because it was called vegetarian. I guess that's what I get for assuming a restaurant knows what vegetarian means.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

I assumed it was since I ask them to leave out any dairy stuff. I've never asked about meat because it was called vegetarian. I guess that's what I get for assuming a restaurant knows what vegetarian means.

ugh, yeah. That's what pissed me off too. since it was labelled vegetarian, I don't always ask about the rice in that case either.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Quarantined wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

ugh, yeah. That's what pissed me off too. since it was labelled vegetarian, I don't always ask about the rice in that case either.

A million years ago when my husband and I first started dating we went to Chili’s a lot. They had a super yummy veggie burger called a “vegetarian bandito burger.” I had it several times before a kindly server asked me if I was “actually vegetarian” and I was like ummm yeah…..they proceeded to tell me that the burger had lard in it and the black beans were cooked in chicken stock. So it was in fact not actually vegetarian like labeled. I was pissed over for DAYS over that. I never went back to Chili’s ever. I do think we left the server a big tip though for being kind enough to tell me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Quarantined wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

I went and looked at their menu, every enchilada entree says it comes with rice except the vegetarian enchiladas. So it'd seem like they aren't saying their rice is vegetarian?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:

A million years ago when my husband and I first started dating we went to Chili’s a lot. They had a super yummy veggie burger called a “vegetarian bandito burger.” I had it several times before a kindly server asked me if I was “actually vegetarian” and I was like ummm yeah…..they proceeded to tell me that the burger had lard in it and the black beans were cooked in chicken stock. So it was in fact not actually vegetarian like labeled. I was pissed over for DAYS over that. I never went back to Chili’s ever. I do think we left the server a big tip though for being kind enough to tell me!

Considering Chili's doesn't make their black bean burger at their restaurants, I'd be surprised if a server would know. Depending when a million years ago was... :) Chili's black bean burger is vegetarian but it isn't vegan. I'm guessing the server was joking with you. (And I'd hazard a guess that no chain restaurant has used lard in 20-30 years)

Last edited by linanil on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It wasn't actually that official restaurant but this abbreviated menu (Max & Dylan's is like a sister restaurant of theirs, owned by the same people I think):

http://www.maxanddylans.com/pdfs/mexicanMondays.pdf

It didn't mention rice but when I asked the waiter he said it came with rice but that he'd leave it off since it had meat. I don't know how they normally serve it. If it doesn't normally come with rice then it was sort of a meager meal since it was just a pile of beans and some tiny enchiladas.

Ah well, I don't even know what I'm peeved off about anymore haha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm 
WRETCHED

Well it isn't like it is hard to make rice without chicken stock or... make plain white rice if you must for vegetarians (like Baja Fresh does).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Traditional Mexican rice is so freakin' simple to maske vegan: white rice, olive oil, can of tomato sauce. The trick is to brown the rice in the olive oil to get it toasty...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Considering Chili's doesn't make their black bean burger at their restaurants, I'd be surprised if a server would know. Depending when a million years ago was... :) Chili's black bean burger is vegetarian but it isn't vegan. I'm guessing the server was joking with you. (And I'd hazard a guess that no chain restaurant has used lard in 20-30 years)

this was almost 15 years ago at this point. he wasnt joking either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also i dont remember 100% but i dont think it was a black bean burger specifically. it was a veggie burger made of maybe like rice or something and served with black beans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
also i dont remember 100% but i dont think it was a black bean burger specifically. it was a veggie burger made of maybe like rice or something and served with black beans

Yeah, I dunno. I'd almost suspect someone told the server that and he believed them. Lard in restaurants, especially a restaurant like Chili's would just be very unusual. Especially since they mostly just reheat the food there, rather than cook it themselves, I'd suspect that many of the cooks might not even know the ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There's a Mexican restaurant here that, if you have beans on the side, it has lard, but in the veggie burrito, its fine. Its really weird.
There's also a bread brand here that's common in Newfie grocery stores, and lard is one of the first ingredients. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Yeah, I dunno. I'd almost suspect someone told the server that and he believed them. Lard in restaurants, especially a restaurant like Chili's would just be very unusual. Especially since they mostly just reheat the food there, rather than cook it themselves, I'd suspect that many of the cooks might not even know the ingredients.

right but everything comes in a box and the ingredients would be on the box so it would be fairly simple for the server to go and look if someone happened to have asked him once.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:27 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
linanil wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

right but everything comes in a box and the ingredients would be on the box so it would be fairly simple for the server to go and look if someone happened to have asked him once.

True, it just would seem pretty unusual for a large chain restaurant. Smaller restaurants, I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Chez Victor restaurants in my city have "vegetarian" burgers, but I heard their bread has lard. And it's not a fast food really, it's fancy burgers so you'd expect they'd make an effort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 pm 
Semen Strong

I was once in a diner in Ohio with a friend for breakfast. The waitress said their bread had milk in it, and their toast wasn't even vegetarian, because they toasted it in the bacon drippings. Its kind of mindblowing how many unnecessary animal products can sneak their way into your food.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Like, whey in the delicious looking rye at my inlaws' tonight. I so wanted a piece :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I was at Quiznos today & was looking at a Sobe juice drink & it said it had milk in it. Why is there milk in a juice drink?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

as a side note i sometimes babysit for these kids and their parents sometimes buy that Silk fruit and protein drink and they call it, "milk juice." i think it's pretty cute.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

as a pet peeve, i hate it when i'm somewhere crappy and i wonder if i can at least eat some toast w/ jam, but i feel like i can't ask (and trust) the server to tell me if the bread has dairy in it or not. but i feel like it probably does, because a lot of those cheap brands do, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 521  Next