| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 493  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My marketing director (bosses boss) is really sweet and keeps offering to buy me lunch since she is getting stuff ordered in...but the delivery place only has one option for me. A sad veggie wrap that is a white tortilla with lettuce and tomatoes. No dressing.

So I always politely refuse (since I always ALWAYS bring my lunch, even when lunch is catered just in case!) and my coworkers think I am a little crazy.

Sorry, I would much rather have my leftover hommade Pho Pheast than some shitty lettuce burrito.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

eyelashes made out of mink...um?

also a person that sales a lot of vegan baked goods is posting rodeo photos and stuff related to the rodeo, not cool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:14 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

A facebook friend who is vegetarian just posted asking how to get oysters out of their shells because she wants to try one. Even though someone posted on the status already I just had to repeat it again.... "I thought you were vegetarian?"

The girl gave me a headache last night with her stupidity on some other topic so I'm really thinking that her days are number as a friend on facebook. Pity I know her in real life. Luckily I don't see her too much anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm 
ugh

Oystrovegetarian?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:34 pm 

haha! Her reply was .... I'm not a vegan, I'm a vegetarian. I informed her that vegetarians don't eat anything with a central nervous system but pescetrians will eat animals that live in the sea. Then I got really all high and mighty and said veganism is more than what you put in your mouth, it's how you live your life.

She's just peeving me off rightly the past few days. Constant status about horse racing and who she has placed bets on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm convinced that nobody actually knows what "vegetarian" means.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm 

I know. Even when I was vegetarian I didn't fully know what it meant even though I certainly didn't consider eating anything with a CNS and once I knew something had gelatine there wasn't a hope I would eat it. There is no way I would have the bald asparagus cheek to call myself a vegetarian and try eat oysters "because they look good."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 am 

This is totally pedantic and doesn't change the situation, but technically, oysters don't have a CNS. The do have a nervous system, but it's very simple and not centralized. [/pedant]

But yeah, not vegetarian.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

daisychain wrote:
There is no way I would have the bald asparagus cheek to call myself a vegetarian and try eat oysters "because they look good."

Correction: they look like slate goblin ears filled with phlegm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:06 am 

Gulliver wrote:
daisychain wrote:
There is no way I would have the bald asparagus cheek to call myself a vegetarian and try eat oysters "because they look good."

Correction: they look like slate goblin ears filled with phlegm.

And this. Even when I was eating animals, I never understood the appeal.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:01 am 

lepelaar wrote:
This is totally pedantic and doesn't change the situation, but technically, oysters don't have a CNS. The do have a nervous system, but it's very simple and not centralized. [/pedant]

But yeah, not vegetarian.

Oh shiitake it! Shhhhh, she speaks in text speak so she might not be clued in enough to google that bit!

At least I was right on the not vegetarian bit so I can continue being a cocky know some of it vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This isn't really a pet peeve, just amusing - I had a work trip to Utah this week and I knew they'd be ordering in lunch so I told them I was vegan but that it was fine if they couldn't accommodate me since I always travel with snacks. So they ordered from a sandwich shop and told me there was a salad I could get, so I did. It was less of a real salad than even the typical sad salad is. It was just a box full of all the veggies they put on a sandwich! Shredded iceberg lettuce, PICKLES, sad tomatoes... I just laughed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 am 
WELFARIST!

I didn't want to post about this in the thread for Sarah Kramer because I would hate to pull away from her cancer battle with talk of idiots so I'm posting about this here. This kind of comment peeves me off- "As vegans, we tend to look towards natural sources of healing." NO, YOU look for "natural sources of healing". Don't speak for me, don't speak for other vegans. That's not a "vegan thing", it's a YOU thing. It reminds me of the time someone posted in one of my classes that, "All people believe in something, atheists believe in nature." No, atheist is just the lack of belief in any god or gods.

That "natural healing" statement was followed up by, "Please check out Kris Carr, Louise Hay (she has a whole book on healing affirmations that have to do with various illnesses. Very helpful!) and 30 Bananas A Day (I know you tried banana island before. Raw foods and lots of greens!!)"

I just.....I am too frustrated to post anymore about this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is the 2nd time ive come across a reference to that 30 bananas a day website.

is that like a real thing? that people think it's a good idea to eat 30 bananas in one day?

i actually have a weird too many bananas anecdote.
i had major jaw surgery in October 2010, i went vegan January 2011. in either February or March i attended something called "Ladies Rock Camp" in Boston. (omg so fun)

i was still not fully healed from surgery (still wearing braces! fun!) and i was a brand new vegan so i was unsure of what to feed myself that was both vegan and easy on the old busted jaw. i couldnt really chew much at that point.

i ate alot of bananas in those 3 days and i believe the last day i literally ate like 6 bananas that day.

i have never in my life felt so bloated and constipated. if you look at pictures of me from the showcase which is the big show at the end of camp i look like a balloon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:01 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I hate Kris Carr and anyone selling cures for $20 a pop for a book or $200 for a miracle tour...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I was introduced to Louise Hay over twenty years ago. I'm so surprised people are still peddling that shiitake. Affirmations are great and all, if you're into that kind of thing, but to be told that you should say affirmations to heal yourself of cancer, sheesh. That person deserves to have Louise Hay's books thrown at them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had to google Louise Hay to remember who she was and i remember her books from when i worked at Borders.
looking at her website i see for only the low low price of $5.99 you can get a mobile phone app of affirmations to cure cancer!!!

i think a positive attitude can be enormously helpful when dealing with a serious illness but it's not a replacement for like actual healing!

and selling stuff claiming it will cure people makes my stomach churn!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I am all for meditation, prayer, healing energy, I am pretty spiritual - however I know there is only so much my colorful rocks can do or positive thoughts. I kinda use new age stuff as a supplement, more of a mind-calming thing.

FYI: I just smudged the house...Ya, I am that chick!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
...selling stuff claiming it will cure people makes my stomach churn!
This. At best it's irresponsible and misleading, and at worst it reeks of opportunism; attempting to cash in someone else's challenges and misfortunes is pretty much the bottom of the ethical barrel. (In fact, that's a big part of why I became vegan in the first place.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Every time I read about someone doing a juice cleanse I get so forking irritated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 pm 
Semen Strong

The "natural" cancer cures reek of opportunism. A friend of ours just paid $7000+ to do a three week long Gershon cure, after he was diagnosed with colon cancer. Its all raw vegan food, juices and coffee enemas. Yes there are a lot of good anecdotes, but its not scientifically tested and their successes don't seem to be reproducible. It kind of sucks to hold out false hope to people and to make it so expensive. I can't imagine how hard it is to recognize that you can't afford something marketed as a cure for something that is as scary as cancer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:25 pm 

I'm doing a booze cleanse right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LisaPunk wrote:
this is the 2nd time ive come across a reference to that 30 bananas a day website.

is that like a real thing? that people think it's a good idea to eat 30 bananas in one day?

I know someone who does this, and often has days where he only eats bananas. Drives me crazy when he advises other people to do this. Eating just one food, any food, is a terrible idea.

The first rule of nutrition is to eat enough calories, but the second has to be, eat a variety of foods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ugh, the facebook posts about how coconut water/bananas/acai/other BS can beat cancer. So stupid. I call people out on it every time too. Usually they don't even bother thinking about that stuff, they just share thinking...well I don't know what they are thinking. I hardly ever share stuff. Especially stuff like that.

My new marketing events and campaign job is great. Working hard, but I like it.

The only bummer is we do events at horse race tracks and rodeos sometimes. I will put my foot down at going to the Rodeos (has not come up yet that I attend, but I plan on refusing). I will still plan the events though. Usually just renting a suite at the rodeo centers, conference rooms, bar tabs etc.

Can't get away from the horse races though. Those are huge events. Sigh. Poor horseies. Luckily, we do a lot of charity events, and I plan on doing some that benefit animals in the future to balance it all out. But being there will be tough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:30 pm 

Well at least with 30 bananas a day you would save a fortune on loo roll since you will probably never poop ever again. Always look for the positives!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 493  Next