| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:00 pm 
WELFARIST!

She can eat my diet, I have no problems keeping weight on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Elimination diets have become the recommendation du jour from doctors for nursing problems. In practice, from what I hear from a LLL involved friend, this generally doesn't show dairy to be the culprit of their problems but does drive people to formula and sour them on giving up dairy, since they're just told to do it with no guidance or resources.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

"Had" to eat vegan cheese? Instead of just leaving the cheese off? Pretty much any omni I know would choose the latter, even if Daiya or Teese were an option.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm sorry, she had to eat Vegan Cheese From McDonalds? WHAT? Has McDonalds turned into some secret vegan paradise while we've been hand-grinding almonds for our artesanal cheeses?? What on earth did she claim to be eating that was vegan?????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I went out with friends this weekend and there was this person I had never met before who arrived in a full-length fur coat. I was hoping it wasn't real and my friend said she didn't think it was real, so I just kind of convinced myself it wasn't because otherwise I didn't know how I would be civil to this new person. So then my other friend tells the fur person that I'm vegan, and the fur person is like oh, sorry about my coat then, and continued that "When I wear it, I don't even think about it being from an animal!" Isn't that the WHOLE POINT of fur, that it comes from an animal? How could you wear it and not continuously be aware of the poor tortured raccoons all over your body? Anyway, then she said "good for you" that I am vegan (not in a snarky way, but in that way that shows they think it's a huge sacrifice) but that she didn't care about animals. At least she admitted that - I find it much worse when people profess their love for animals but continue to eat (and wear!) them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:26 am 
Semen Strong

Speaking of fur, did you see that Marc Jacobs was busted using dog fur and selling it as fake? It is so disturbing that dog fur is so cheap that it is being used instead of fake.

Quote:
An investigation by the Humane Society has revealed that the "faux fur" jackets by designer Marc Jacobs sold at Century 21 department stores actually contain dog fur.

The jackets are said to have been made from the fur of Chinese raccoon dogs. This breed of dogs is a soft and cuddly looking creature that resemble a fox. The fur of these dogs is way cheaper than synthetic fur which might be the reason behind its use.

http://gawker.com/5990922/some-marc-jac ... ontain-dog

And my pet peeve is that it is so freaking hard to find coats that don't have even a bit of faux fur, and I don't want to wear even the tiniest amount of obviously fake fur, because fur is repugnant to me.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:32 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, the dog fur/fake fur thing is pretty big. It has been found in loads of stores. I believe the consensus is that the distributors are marketing as faux and the companies using it were largely unaware.

I saw a pic on FB yesterday of Jessica Alba wearing fur - looked like it could have been real, but some expensive faux furs are getting pretty convincing. I thought she was vegan, is that not the case?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:15 am 
Saggy Butt

Tofulish wrote:
And my pet peeve is that it is so freaking hard to find coats that don't have even a bit of faux fur, and I don't want to wear even the tiniest amount of obviously fake fur, because fur is repugnant to me.

Last year I got a new winter coat (long one!) with a fake fur trim around the hood attached with buttons. I took it off and gave it to the cats but they weren't impressed either.

The Chinese restaurant we went to last night had no tofu dishes. Now I know this one is more a "Canadian" Chinese restaurant but a huge menu and no tofu? At least the veggies were good and the omnis were happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

One of my responsibilities for the Saturday work I'm doing for the museum is getting everyone lunch. This past Saturday, I did Chinese so that I could eat what they were eating. I got tofu with mixed veggies and some broccoli with garlic sauce. There is one woman who is vegetarian, so I assumed she would eat that stuff, too. She perked up when I mentioned tofu, took the container and picked out ONLY THE TOFU, not a single vegetable and I was like, hey you can have these veggies too (sincerely! I thought maybe she had made a mistake!) and she said, 'Oh, no. I don't eat vegetables.'

WWWWWTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

I mean, eat what you want, whatever, but I just really can't stand it when people don't eat vegetables. Like, at all. How are they still alive?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I do not mind faux fur, I rather see a bunch of faux and see people grab onto that than dead animal hide...I do find the mislabeling really bad though. Like is it a language barrier thing?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah I kind of love fake fur, especially when it's hot pink or something. Too bad I can't buy it because of fear it's actually real.

My friend's rabbit died. They had been together several years and the rabbit brought my friend a lot of comfort as his own health declined. He spent a ton on veterinary care for her. All along, he posts pictures of his insanely meat heavy diet to Facebook, including rabbit dishes. I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

This thread makes me head spin. How are people so stupid?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 am 
WELFARIST!

It's not a language barrier. Raccoon dog fur is cheaper than synthetic therefore companies will use that instead.

Also, I find fur on people to be incredibly ugly. I have never understood how people find that attractive or classy. Running with that peeve and into this one- I was ordering oils the other day and the one oil came with a "free gift for your lover" which was a "genuine fox tail charm". What? Gross!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am 

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not mind faux fur, I rather see a bunch of faux and see people grab onto that than dead animal hide...I do find the mislabeling really bad though. Like is it a language barrier thing?

No, there has been deliberate misnaming of fake fur for sale, especially with items made in China. I originally found the whole thing a little amazing, because super cheap faux fur is so easy to distinguish. But with more expensive faux furs becoming more realistic, I guess it has become easier and cheaper to use this Chinese fur.

I have a pair of old winter boots that have some fake fur on them and are vegan, so I am not going to throw them out while they are still usable. But I completely understand people not wanting to look like they support wearing fur by wearing the fake stuff. A lot of stuff that has faux trim has it easily removable, though, so it doesn't hurt to take a closer look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like 'monster fur', which is usually neon and obviously fake, but I won't wear a coat that has faux-but-looks-real fur on it because I don't want anyone to think that it might be.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 am 
ugh

My winter coat has fake fur trim and the entire inside of the jacket is lined with it, so it's super warm and cozy. I wouldn't buy any "fake" fur item willy-nilly but this brand is safe - the fur is made of hemp! It even has hemp leaves kinda etched into the fur.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Before yoga this morning 2 Chainz came on, one of the lines in his song is 'Some people wear faux fur, on the Source cover I wore a fox'...yuck.

A few weeks ago when the Beyounce shoe scandal came out a lot of people were posting how horrible the skin shoes were. I saw some really racist comments. I saw the terms ghetto and pimp culture come into play from white people. Anna Wintour wears fur and other gross crepe but I have never seen 'pimp culture' and 'ghetto' thrown at her. You cannot be compassionate and a racist at the same time...Seriously flawed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

isnt Marc Jacobs a really high end designer? why on earth would they be using dog fur?!?!?

that one baffles me as does a vegetarian that doesnt eat vegetables? what do they live on? cheese and tofu? cheesy-fu?

here's my peeve du jour.

i have a coworker who had a son almost a year ago. they are definitely big meat/dairy eaters. i think her husband is a big hunter. so anyways they had the baby, brought him home. i think she tried breastfeeding for like a day and it didnt work out. not sure why but they started using formula. kid screamed bloody murder for 3 weeks straight. turned out he had an allergy to some milk protein. so they had to switch him to soy.
so she is like convinced he is going to be deficient in something. like you cant eat soy only and still be alive. except formula is formula. the way i understand it is either cow or soy formula is so heavily modified to meet the needs of a newborn TO STAY ALIVE. so i kept my mouth shut from saying things like "well your son isnt a cow you know"
like what is the magical ingredient in cow products that some people think a baby needs to live?????
so a month or so ago (he's almost a year now) she was complaining about how he couldnt eat cheese. so i sent her an email abou daiya and explained what it was and some other milk-free cheese options including the one (i cant remember the name) that is lactose free but has casein in it, etc. and she was basically like "yeah the dr said sometimes they just grow out of the allergy around a year so im just gonna wait and see if he can tolerate it after his first birthday. i cant imagine him not eating cheese!!!!" she had no interest WHATSOEVER in trying alternatives.
so i was like....ooookkkkkkkkkk......your kid has an allergy, why would you foist that food upon them for the sake of that is what you think he needs to eat?

THEN apparently they have been trying different solid foods with him for awhile and they tried different kinds of meat with him lately. it didnt make him sick, it sounds like he was just 100% disinterested and wouldnt eat it. she was like in a panic and saying how annoying it was and how he better start to eat meat at some point. blah blah blah.
first off the kid is 11 months old. he may just be picky or unsure of new things.
secondly so what if he doesnt want to eat meat right now?
why cram it down his throat?

ugh.
the whole thing was just annoying.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

missmuffcake wrote:
how horrible the skin shoes were

I don't get it. All leather is skin (many languages use the same word for leather and for skin). What kind of shoes did she wear? Human leather?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i believe it was several different kinds of exotic animal skin all on one really ugly shoe.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/peta_slams_beyonce_animal_skin_shoes_r9yzdyujEi9ikuFVXrSKbJ

"The "King Bey" shoes are made from crocodile and anaconda skins, stingray, ostrich and calf hair."

i feel like Jay-Z was wearing something particularly cruel recently too but i cant remember what.

i mean yeah leather is leather but this seems even worse......do people eat anaconda and stingray?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

LisaPunk wrote:
so a month or so ago (he's almost a year now) she was complaining about how he couldnt eat cheese. so i sent her an email abou daiya and explained what it was and some other milk-free cheese options including the one (i cant remember the name) that is lactose free but has casein in it, etc. and she was basically like "yeah the dr said sometimes they just grow out of the allergy around a year so im just gonna wait and see if he can tolerate it after his first birthday. i cant imagine him not eating cheese!!!!" she had no interest WHATSOEVER in trying alternatives.
so i was like....ooookkkkkkkkkk......your kid has an allergy, why would you foist that food upon them for the sake of that is what you think he needs to eat?

ugh.
the whole thing was just annoying.

I used to have a coworker whose son had severe dairy and egg allergies, so she was always asking me about vegan recipes for birthday cake and stuff. Which was fine and I was happy to help out. But she was also one of those "soy will kill you and mess up your hormones" people. And she referred to her son as a "vegan who eats meat. Lots of meat." And then she was like giddy with joy when they eventually told her that the allergies were better and he could eat cheese now because "kids need to eat cheese!"

Yeah. Annoying.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
i believe it was several different kinds of exotic animal skin all on one really ugly shoe.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/peta_slams_beyonce_animal_skin_shoes_r9yzdyujEi9ikuFVXrSKbJ

"The "King Bey" shoes are made from crocodile and anaconda skins, stingray, ostrich and calf hair."

i feel like Jay-Z was wearing something particularly cruel recently too but i cant remember what.

i mean yeah leather is leather but this seems even worse......do people eat anaconda and stingray?

I heard something about him/her releasing elephant skin shoes? Don't know if it's true and I don't really care to look.

Had someone come into work and buy chicken nuggets for her kid, stating its the only meat her kid will eat. And she said "I swear, hes a born vegetarian! But I have to get protein in him some how!" And then I was sad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It's really ugly. I thought about human skin because book covers used to be made from it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropodermic_bibliopegy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Moon wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I heard something about him/her releasing elephant skin shoes? Don't know if it's true and I don't really care to look.

Had someone come into work and buy chicken nuggets for her kid, stating its the only meat her kid will eat. And she said "I swear, hes a born vegetarian! But I have to get protein in him some how!" And then I was sad.

maybe that was it about Jay-Z that i read.
ugh. SO. WRONG.

and the thing about chicken nuggets is just so sad i mean i wonder how much actual protein is in a chicken nugget? and that stuff is just soooooooooooo bad for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Stupid Weston Price people making people think that veganism will destroy your teeth.

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Dec ... _vegan.htm

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Reply to topic  [ 10610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 425  Next