| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 478  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have to say, reading Skinny bisque helped me on my road to veganism. I mean, at that point, I could have read any literature on how the dairy industry was so so cruel, but that's the one I read and the tone was good for me at the time. Yes, I did other research after reading it (to make sure!), but that was my initial push from vegetarianism to veganism.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

allularpunk wrote:
I have to say, reading Skinny bisque helped me on my road to veganism. I mean, at that point, I could have read any literature on how the dairy industry was so so cruel, but that's the one I read and the tone was good for me at the time. Yes, I did other research after reading it (to make sure!), but that was my initial push from vegetarianism to veganism.
God, I hated that book! I felt it portrayed vegans as shrill, braying rainbow-smugglers who secretly crave meat and cheese but are making some sort of sacrifice for their health and for the world. I couldn't even make it through the introduction of Skinny mustard.

It's not a sacrifice; it's a triumphant ninja high-kick with helicopters, explosions and a disco ball.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 am 
Saggy Butt

Gulliver wrote:

It's not a sacrifice; it's a triumphant ninja high-kick with helicopters, explosions and a disco ball.

Omg this! My first sigged quote.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

allularpunk wrote:

I think sometimes we come to veganism from weird places that don't always work for everyone. Honestly the reason I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan was mostly PETA, which is really not a group I'd endorse anymore. But I stuck with it because once I was vegan I really believed in what I was doing, even if I was distancing myself from the organization that had kind of gotten me into it.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
In fact, any quantity of woo immediately disqualifies people from vegan assistance in my world.

hehehehehee i love this

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:20 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Shy Mox wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
so i was reading the other comments on my friend's post about going paleo and apparently there is something called a "primal" diet which someone claims is like paleo but with cheese.

oooookkkkkkkkkkkk

She also tried to convince me beans will give me diabetes.

i had a response full of snark for this but im honestly just curious why someone would think that. what was their reasoning? (if they had any)

that surprises me as much as the "legumes are bad" point that came from somewhere (one of the ex-vegan blogs??)

is she confusing farting with diabetes? it's totally different :-P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am 
Dead by dawn

Oh dear god, I just saw a commercial rhapsodizing about how all animals deserve humane treatment, blah blah blah, charming images of cows and stuff. It was a forking Foster Farms chicken commercial. Apparently they are "American Humane Certified." Which obviously means absolutely nothing if you can murder hundreds of thousands of birds and still be called humane. WTFIWWP?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

happy chickens taste better!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:10 pm 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
so i was reading the other comments on my friend's post about going paleo and apparently there is something called a "primal" diet which someone claims is like paleo but with cheese.

oooookkkkkkkkkkkk

i had a response full of snark for this but im honestly just curious why someone would think that. what was their reasoning? (if they had any)

that surprises me as much as the "legumes are bad" point that came from somewhere (one of the ex-vegan blogs??)

Paleo people do believe beans cause disease.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

kilgore trout wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

I think sometimes we come to veganism from weird places that don't always work for everyone. Honestly the reason I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan was mostly PETA, which is really not a group I'd endorse anymore. But I stuck with it because once I was vegan I really believed in what I was doing, even if I was distancing myself from the organization that had kind of gotten me into it.

Exactly. There is no way I could go back and read that book now, but it was what worked for me then. I remember looking through the cookbook though, and being like...what the fork? I had already been cooking vegan food for 2 years for my vegan boyfriend, so I had a decent knowledge of the food and every recipe was fake this and fake that, and I kind of rolled my eyes, did some more research (the chapter that got me was the animal cruelty chapter, I don't even remember the rest of it), and made the switch that evening!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

LisaPunk wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I can't even tell you how often we talk about this at dinner. I just don't understand. To be fair, I haven't looked into it, because it sounds so ridiculous, but my best friend is doing this sort of Paleo/GI/way not enough calorie diet (that she tells me is still vegan, but she lives in Alaska, so I can't really know), and I end up ranting about it with my husband whenever I talk to her.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:51 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I went to a vegan meet up yesterday and it was full of very new vegans. All they talked about was protein and how they worry they aren't getting enough of it. I had a headache by the end of it and couldn't wait to get together with the well seasoned vegans so we could head off shopping.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
I once caught the clap from a salty navy bean on shore leave. Damn beans.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's when beans get into the house that you have a problem, they leave droppings everywhere. Sadly with the rise in paleo diets they have fewer natural predators and so their population can get out of control. Some companies will hire you a vegan, but to keep them under control you are advised to get your own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Cgvegan wrote:
It's when beans get into the house that you have a problem, they leave droppings everywhere. Sadly with the rise in paleo diets they have fewer natural predators and so their population can get out of control. Some companies will hire you a vegan, but to keep them under control you are advised to get your own.

Ha! Best ever! But too long to sig?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so my friend who is doing the paleo thing posted something on fb about how her fiance made her "paleo pancakes" for breakfast.

now im just flat out confused.

i may actually have to read into this paleo thing so i can properly make fun of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 am 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
so my friend who is doing the paleo thing posted something on fb about how her fiance made her "paleo pancakes" for breakfast.

now im just flat out confused.

i may actually have to read into this paleo thing so i can properly make fun of it.

They use eggs and probably coconut flour or almond flour because you know paleo man definitely had that.

At the grocery store yesterday, we saw paleo BBQ sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

one of the recipes i looked at used mashed plantains and baking soda. it had oil and spices too but i was confused how it turned into a pancake because hte picture looked like a pancake. there was no flour

then some other recipes i saw used almond and coconut flour and it was also heavy on coconut oil.

so if you didnt live in a tropical area you would die. htere was a lot of plantains and coconut products.

i get shiitake for being vegan all the time so even though it's probably immature i dont feel bad throwing it all back at something else.
hahahahah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian's sister has discovered paleo, which I knew. But she was worried about our dinner choice because she's 'not eating grains', but there was a wait at the restaurant so we went over to Starbucks where she got a trenta iced coffee and a brownie, and then after dinner we went to Cold Stone. So yeah.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Brownies are made of chocolate, not grains! duuuuuuhhhhhhh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Moon wrote:
Cgvegan wrote:

Ha! Best ever! But too long to sig?

Never! Signatures must be allowed to seek their own natural length, don't stunt them!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Brian's sister has discovered paleo, which I knew. But she was worried about our dinner choice because she's 'not eating grains', but there was a wait at the restaurant so we went over to Starbucks where she got a trenta iced coffee and a brownie, and then after dinner we went to Cold Stone. So yeah.

erm.....brownie's are paleo?
i cant get behind any diet that says any sort of fruit or vegetable is bad for you (i know paleo doesnt like some particlar veggies just not sure which) or whole grains. UNLESS it's some sort of allergen based diet (ie gluten free if you have celiac or a gluten intolerance)

pretty sure cavemen didnt have coffee!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vegan items coming to your table not vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My omni husband decided last week to "go paleo." He even agrees that the "science" behind it is non-existent but has seen lots of friends drop weight fast with it. I am actually kind of enjoying him being on the diet because now at least we can share a side dish of veggies at dinner. And yes, the paleo pancakes that were made involved almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, eggs, almond milk, banana and baking powder maybe? something so easy to put together all the bachelor cavemen were doing it. Seriously though. I am annoyed that I have been watching what I eat AND exercising for a month and have lost 7 lbs whereas he has been stuffing his maw with "pancakes" gobs of bacon and the like and has dropped 5 lbs in one week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Desdemona wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
I once caught the clap from a salty navy bean on shore leave. Damn beans.

Should've used a lentil dam.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 478  Next