| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
Paleo people do believe beans cause disease.
I once caught the clap from a salty navy bean on shore leave. Damn beans.

Should've used a lentil dam.

Only the PPK could bring this amazingness. Only the PPK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 am 
Flounceiad 2011

choirqueer wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
Paleo people do believe beans cause disease.
I once caught the clap from a salty navy bean on shore leave. Damn beans.

Should've used a lentil dam.
Live and learn!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am 
Semen Strong

When he was done, did he do a runner bean to Lima bean, leaving your reputation with a black-eye pea?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 am 
Semen Strong

Why are "alternative" people so freaking gullible sometimes? If you start to see science as the purview of the medical establishment and Big Pharma then you will believe absolutely anything you want to believe, because there isn't an independent yardstick out there that you can reference.

I hate it when people reference the Blood Type Diet and say "People with bloodtype O have to eat meat or they become sick" and of course never mention that they aren't supposed to eat dairy or wheat. So you have all these people believing what they want - need meat! And conveniently forgetting to stay away from dairy. And then talking about how they are the cavemen/first people so they HAVE to eat meat.

Also, using the old tactic of asking me to defend why I am vegan to take the focus off the fact that you are relying on outdated and debunked information, especially when you say "why r u vegan ?! " is just annoying.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:26 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian's sister isn't paleo for any serious reason, for her it's just a diet fad. I don't know if that makes it worse or better. What makes it hilarious though, is that a few months ago I told her if she went paleo in her fitness quest I would throw up on her.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am 
Semen Strong

I feel like at least admitting its a diet fad is intellectually honest. Its just annoying to have someone selectively believe in science when it says what they want to believe, and conveniently discount everything that proves that what they believe is rubbish.

The Natural News is really big on that - its sciencey words without the spirit of science - being objective and willing to change your mind if the evidence shows you are wrong. I can't even read some of their articles without wanting to vomit.

When someone says "Oh I would LOVE to be vegan, because I LOVE animals, but sadly, I have Type O blood and I will get sick if I don't eat red meat at least 2x a week. Its a real hardship, but I do it for my health." while at the same time eating dairy and wheat with abandon, I just get annoyed.

I thought being vegan or vegetarian was supposed to make you kinder, peaceful, gentler and more tolerant. :) It has just made me way less tolerant of BS. (sidenote: BS - vegan or not :) )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My most recent peeve: going out for a day walking around a city with non-vegans who decide to go for lunch in a cafe with no vegan food, because "you can just wait till later, can't you?' and not eating lunch until almost 4pm.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the fake vegetarian at work (ie tells everyone she is veg then eats chicken) asked me once what my blood type was (which i thought was weird for someone i dont know that well) and was all a flutter when i said i had O blood.
and she started to go on about the blood type diet thing and i just cut her off and was like "yeah....NO"

this is also the same person who wanted to "send me some reiki" because ive felt like shiitake my entire pregnancy.
i was like "send me whatever you want as long as you dont touch me and i dont have to be there"

dont be shocked but i didnt magically feel better.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am 
Semen Strong

Imogen, that sucks! Were they friends? Did you say that you needed to be able to eat as well? I couldn't have managed to sit down while starving and watch others eat around me. I would have left and gotten food elsewhere, but perhaps that wasn't possible (like a business lunch). I try and keep a power bar in my bag for times like that, but then end up eating my "emergency ration" when I want a candy bar. I fail at vegan planning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 am 
WRETCHED

The blood type diet has been thoroughly debunked, I'm not sure why so many people still cling onto it.

And the paleo people I know are PALEO4LYFE types where they truly believe it but basically what that means to them is they go 'on challenges' where they eat as close to the definition of paleo they believe with some minor tweaks (usually in the form of using factory farmed meat because grass fed is too expensive) and they do that for 6-12 weeks, depending and do those challenges twice per year. So it basically ends up with them being 'as close to paleo as they are comfortable with' for a few months of the year. Even through the challenges, they aren't 100%, they feel that 80-90% is close enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I try and keep a power bar in my bag for times like that, but then end up eating my "emergency ration" when I want a candy bar. I fail at vegan planning.

hahaha, I do that too. I try to keep food in my desk at work for emergencies but I always just end up eating it right away. It totally defeats the point of being prepared.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Late to the party, but sigged!

Also, peoples still swear to me about the blood type diet a lot...didn't the authors conduct their own studies? That's not suspect at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Hah. D is the quote queen today. I snagged that yesterday after it made me giggle for a solid 3 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
Hah. D is the quote queen today. I snagged that yesterday after it made me giggle for a solid 3 minutes.

wait! Isn't it an unspoken rule that only one person can quote something? I always wondered about this.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't know, but I had it first, damn it. Does it matter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
I don't know, but I had it first, damn it. Does it matter?

of course! you have first sigging rights. Can we have a sig death match?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Death match sounds unvegan. I don't mind swapping to another, so somebody say something funny!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am 
Semen Strong

Well, Tenacious registered her claim in the thread, for all to see, soooo....

DEATHMATCH!!!!

*We all know an unperfected security interest is not binding against subsequent claims. Even if the subsequent holder knew, which Tenacious didn't. DEATHMATCH!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:08 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging it out in the end.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
Well, Tenacious registered her claim in the thread, for all to see, soooo....

DEATHMATCH!!!!

*We all know an unperfected security interest is not binding against subsequent claims. Even if the subsequent holder knew, which Tenacious didn't. DEATHMATCH!

Yeah, I always thought the unspoken rule was that whoever quoted the sigworthy thing and said 'Sigged!' got the sig. Anyway, both of them beat me to it, darnit.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

LisaPunk wrote:
a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging it out in the end.

Ok. I'm doing it properly this time. SIGGED!

Now I guess we hug it out.

(Tofulish's legalese just gave me a headache)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ermagherd im so famous!! :-D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh so, hey, on the topic of blood: I went to the hematologist today to set up iron infusions since I'm so anemic my blood comes out basically pink. He was great; super nice, eye candy, and he asked me if ice is my favorite food (haha).

Anyway, when we were talking and I mentioned that most of the women in my family have anemia even beyond my gastric bypass issues, he said that Irish and Scandinavians are much more likely to have pernicious anemia. Bingo!

So yeah, next time people tell you to go eat a forking steak, just blame it on the Irish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

That's really interesting and it sounds like he's a great hematologist, too! Do you have pernicious anemia or just the iron-related kind?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Both. It's a double whammy because now I absolutely cannot absorb B12 so I must have supplements and get periodic shots since I now lack the part of the intestines that has the co-factor/absorbs B12.

Reply to topic  [ 10601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 425  Next