| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Easter Sunday brunch at a buffet restaurant that my grandparents love. Toast and fruit salad, here I come!

Also I have a feeling that my uncle will give me mild grief for not eating eggs or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Limone wrote:
I was mentioning to someone the other day this really good hangover brunch I made once with potatoes and soyrizo, and their response was something along the lines of "Sounds good... except soyrizo, THAT'S NOT FOOD BLEHHHHHHHHH."

I think Soyrizo sells out faster with the meat eaters here than the veg folk, because I know meat eaters who recommend the stuff to other meat eaters! People grow up with chorizo, find out how gross it is, still want it and then go for the soyrizo.
We eat it with potatoes in tacos a lot! Chili is also good with the stuff. The boyfriend was hell bent on not eating it for a long time, I made it, he ate it, now he digs on it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 am 
Dead by dawn

missmuffcake wrote:
Limone wrote:
I was mentioning to someone the other day this really good hangover brunch I made once with potatoes and soyrizo, and their response was something along the lines of "Sounds good... except soyrizo, THAT'S NOT FOOD BLEHHHHHHHHH."

I think Soyrizo sells out faster with the meat eaters here than the veg folk, because I know meat eaters who recommend the stuff to other meat eaters! People grow up with chorizo, find out how gross it is, still want it and then go for the soyrizo.
We eat it with potatoes in tacos a lot! Chili is also good with the stuff. The boyfriend was hell bent on not eating it for a long time, I made it, he ate it, now he digs on it!

I bought the Tofurky brand chorizo once to take to an omni taco night, kind of out of desperation/short notice. I didn't think anyone would even try it but they all did, they all liked it, and the whole damn package got eaten even though they had two meat filling choices as well. At least I know if I ever describe a meal to these folks they're never going to say "THAT'S NOT FOOOOOOOOOD!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 am 
Saggy Butt

Ariann wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Both. It's a double whammy because now I absolutely cannot absorb B12 so I must have supplements and get periodic shots since I now lack the part of the intestines that has the co-factor/absorbs B12.

Oh wow that sucks.

Lavawitch--not to make light of this issue, but everytime I hear Pernicious Anemia it makes me think of Vermicious Knids. Both are evil, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

geeksweetheart wrote:
Ariann wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
Both. It's a double whammy because now I absolutely cannot absorb B12 so I must have supplements and get periodic shots since I now lack the part of the intestines that has the co-factor/absorbs B12.

Oh wow that sucks.

Lavawitch--not to make light of this issue, but everytime I hear Pernicious Anemia it makes me think of Vermicious Knids. Both are evil, of course.

I DO TOO!!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

geeksweetheart wrote:
Ariann wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Oh wow that sucks.

OMG, I just took out that book last night and it fell open to a drawing of one of them! I was like 'Vermicious Knid!!!' and my manfriend was like, 'whaaaa?'

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Last week in a pub and a whole table of blokes who I know but not that well were asking me about protein and without even thinking what I was saying I told them I got it from semen. There was pretty much a stunned silence.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Efcliz wrote:
Last week in a pub and a whole table of blokes who I know but not that well were asking me about protein and without even thinking what I was saying I told them I got it from semen. There was pretty much a stunned silence.

I've been tempted on occasion to simply answer the "where do you get your protein?" question with "I swallow".

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 am 
Saggy Butt

lepelaar wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I've been tempted on occasion to simply answer the "where do you get your protein?" question with "I swallow".

Hee hee hee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Moon wrote:
Easter Sunday brunch at a buffet restaurant that my grandparents love. Toast and fruit salad, here I come!

Also I have a feeling that my uncle will give me mild grief for not eating eggs or something.

Me too. I'm a little worried that Easter brunch at my inlaws will involve me getting drunk by noon because there will not be one single vegan dish on the table, and my father in law will mock me and will grill me the entire time about my eating choices. I'm already on thin ice with them due to a fiasco that happened at Christmas, so I don't want to be rude or impolite, but when you have to sit at a table with people who are eating murdered animals and defend your decision to not partake in that, well, I don't know how long I'll be polite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

The bulk manager at Vitamin Cottage didn't know what Vital Wheat Gluten was. ....???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Moon wrote:

I've taken to bringing those packets of Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread to meals like this. Who wants yucky buffet eggs when you could be eating chocolate hazelnut toast?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

TexTroosers wrote:
Moon wrote:

Me too. I'm a little worried that Easter brunch at my inlaws will involve me getting drunk by noon because there will not be one single vegan dish on the table, and my father in law will mock me and will grill me the entire time about my eating choices. I'm already on thin ice with them due to a fiasco that happened at Christmas, so I don't want to be rude or impolite, but when you have to sit at a table with people who are eating murdered animals and defend your decision to not partake in that, well, I don't know how long I'll be polite.
Can't you bring something (or even several somethings) nice to share? That way if they eat it, fine - and at least you can say you tried - and if they don't, you're still assured of being fed! (Not that "drunk by noon" is necessarily a bad thing, but "drunk by noon with a bellyful of yummy food" is always better!)

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LisaPunk wrote:
my sister in law (the one i really like not the one who is a gun toting republican crazy person) was vegan for 5 years and i swear my MIL at some point said something about how vegans were allowed one (usually dairy/non-meat product) cheat food they still ate. and my SIL's was mayo.

ive often pondered this because it makes almost no sense. it could be my MIL was completely confused/crazy

also if you are going to be vegan with one cheat food why would it be mayo??

I want to know who it is that's doing all this "allowing"! Who wrote that permission slip?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lepelaar wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was at a girlfriend's birthday party yesterday and i brought the cake (raspberry blackout cake w/ chocolate mouse frosting!) and her boyfriend's family were very curious about the cake bc i guess my friend let it out that it was vegan. they were honestly just being curious and it was obvious that everyone loved the cake (going back for seconds and thirds), but one of them was like, so what'd you put in the cake instead of milk? and i was like, "Magic." i should get bonus points for being cute and facetious. bc i did tell them that it had soy milk in the end.

My boyfriend takes his coffee with lots of (dairy) milk, and if I'm making the coffee that morning, I make it for him with dairy milk. The first time I made him coffee, though, I told him I'd made it with a secret ingredient. I meant "love" (yeah, we were in that mushy phase) but he said/whined "Oh no! You didn't put soy milk in there, did you?" To this day, ever time I make him coffee, I tell him there's a secret ingredient in there, and he mock whines "Oh no! Not soy milk!"

Feel like makin' soyyyyyyy to youuuuuuuu...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

choirqueer wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
i was at a girlfriend's birthday party yesterday and i brought the cake (raspberry blackout cake w/ chocolate mouse frosting!) and her boyfriend's family were very curious about the cake bc i guess my friend let it out that it was vegan. they were honestly just being curious and it was obvious that everyone loved the cake (going back for seconds and thirds), but one of them was like, so what'd you put in the cake instead of milk? and i was like, "Magic." i should get bonus points for being cute and facetious. bc i did tell them that it had soy milk in the end.

My boyfriend takes his coffee with lots of (dairy) milk, and if I'm making the coffee that morning, I make it for him with dairy milk. The first time I made him coffee, though, I told him I'd made it with a secret ingredient. I meant "love" (yeah, we were in that mushy phase) but he said/whined "Oh no! You didn't put soy milk in there, did you?" To this day, ever time I make him coffee, I tell him there's a secret ingredient in there, and he mock whines "Oh no! Not soy milk!"

Feel like makin' soyyyyyyy to youuuuuuuu...

Hahaha! Awesome!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

i just saw someone on FB post a product for vegan stuff and the words 'to all my friends who have evolved'. um...i just find it odd...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

maybe omni's are amoebas??????

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

missmuffcake wrote:
i just saw someone on FB post a product for vegan stuff and the words 'to all my friends who have evolved'. um...i just find it odd...

A reaction to everyone who says we need to eat meat, or the paleo nonsense? Also, we can evolve socially/culturally to choose not to eat meat.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Desdemona wrote:
TexTroosers wrote:
Moon wrote:

Can't you bring something (or even several somethings) nice to share? That way if they eat it, fine - and at least you can say you tried - and if they don't, you're still assured of being fed! (Not that "drunk by noon" is necessarily a bad thing, but "drunk by noon with a bellyful of yummy food" is always better!)

I just bought VCTOTW, so I was thinking about making some cupcakes since dessert is all I really care about anyways. Seeing as they already don't like me, I don't want to show up with a whole buffet of food and have them feel like I'm trying to upstage all their cooking, because I know they put a lot of effort into it. And the cupcakes would be a win-win, if people eat them and like them, they can experience for themselves how good vegan baking is, and if they don't, then I get to take all the leftovers home for myself!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

mollyjade wrote:
Moon wrote:

I've taken to bringing those packets of Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread to meals like this. Who wants yucky buffet eggs when you could be eating chocolate hazelnut toast?

That would be lovely if the stuff existed here! I guess I could make my own to bring if I was so inclined but I'm not. I'm a big fan of peanut butter so if they have pb I will live. But really, I can have pb&j at home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is probably the one good thing about my mom not realizing she scheduled my baby shower for easter weekend. now i wont be subjected to my 13 year old nephew's really loud opinions on my veganism and other weird things like for example a burrito is not a burrito unless it has meat in it (this is not opinion to him it is a cold hard fact).

so much for teaching kids manners

yay for no easter dinner!
boo for having to survive my baby shower
yay there will be vegan cake!

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had lunch today with a couple friends, one I hadn't seen for a long time. For years she's been a (very shitty) vegetarian. I guess she eats meat now. Because her hair was falling out. And she's telling everyone who'll listen that being vegetarian made her hair fall out and beef fixed it. Blaaaaarrrgghh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so my friend who is doing the paleo thing just posted a picture of what her fiance made them for dinner.

bacon wrapped meatloaf cups.

im 99.99999% they are doing this for weight loss not because they believe the whole paleo schtick so im not sure how bacon or beef equates to weight loss and im not sure how bacon or beef is actually paleo either.

so as discussed earlier the paleo thing is basically just a reason to eat a lot of meat :-(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LisaPunk wrote:
this is probably the one good thing about my mom not realizing she scheduled my baby shower for easter weekend. now i wont be subjected to my 13 year old nephew's really loud opinions on my veganism and other weird things like for example a burrito is not a burrito unless it has meat in it (this is not opinion to him it is a cold hard fact).

so much for teaching kids manners
I had that nephew. He is now an adult, and I'm sorry to say the situation hasn't been improved by the addition of alcohol. Alas.

LisaPunk wrote:
yay for no easter dinner!
boo for having to survive my baby shower
yay there will be vegan cake!
I will be there with you in spirit; take elaborately detailed notes and report back!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 425  Next