| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 423  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 pm 
WELFARIST!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5039
Location: Gallifrey
Beans are oily? What?

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
So apparently two of my co-workers won't be here on Friday, so I asked the one that asked if I wanted to go to a steakhouse if he was going to be here and his reply was, "Yes i'm going to be here, i'm taking you to lunch!" Uggggh. So I mentioned, again, that I was going to the indian buffet (cause it's a special treat at $10 and there's no indian place where we're moving and it's been my Last Meal plan for two weeks) and he said I didn't have a choice. Uh, the fork I don't. I am, in fact, an adult.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
DAFUQ?!

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2066
Location: Western North Carolina
For travel food- our celery sticks were highly popular. Who knew! But celery and peanut butter or hummus is goooood on trips. When you feel like garbage cuz you were just awkwardly sleeping and have to pull yourself together, celery is really refreshing, and the crunch is wonderfuls.It keeps really well!

Obviously if you are flying internationally it has to be finished on the plane, but that is ok.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4672
Location: United States of New England
you have no choice vegan! you are going to a steak house! you are going to eat dead cow and you are going to like it!

that is sooo forked up.

id be all over the Indian buffet.

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:53 pm
Posts: 2225
mollyjade wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
flying is the worst. we always tend to buy candy for flights but i realized that if i eat shiitake all day then inevitably by the end of a long travel day i feel like shiitake so last time we flew i made a conscious effort not to eat only candy. we had a semi long layover somewhere and were just like wandering around the airport looking for vegan food. it was a pretty major airport too like Detroit or something.

i finally ended up with a very basic veggie sandwich, a banana, and some juice. not exactly filling.

i think it's times like those that my veganism really annoys my husband. apparently wandering around the airport for hours with all your luggage looking for something ANYTHING with no cheese is not his favorite past time

VegGuide has started listing vegan airport food: http://www.vegguide.org/region/860

My go-to airport meal is hummus and pretzels, a banana, and a soy latte. And I usually get a tomato juice on the airplane. It's pretty much the only time I drink tomato juice, but vegetables can be hard to find when you're traveling.


ha. I drink tomato juice on planes too! No ice! Probably terrible for me, with all the sodium, but I feel like I get some veggies in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am
Posts: 2523
Location: SF Bay area
Chicki wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
flying is the worst. we always tend to buy candy for flights but i realized that if i eat shiitake all day then inevitably by the end of a long travel day i feel like shiitake so last time we flew i made a conscious effort not to eat only candy. we had a semi long layover somewhere and were just like wandering around the airport looking for vegan food. it was a pretty major airport too like Detroit or something.

i finally ended up with a very basic veggie sandwich, a banana, and some juice. not exactly filling.

i think it's times like those that my veganism really annoys my husband. apparently wandering around the airport for hours with all your luggage looking for something ANYTHING with no cheese is not his favorite past time

VegGuide has started listing vegan airport food: http://www.vegguide.org/region/860

My go-to airport meal is hummus and pretzels, a banana, and a soy latte. And I usually get a tomato juice on the airplane. It's pretty much the only time I drink tomato juice, but vegetables can be hard to find when you're traveling.


ha. I drink tomato juice on planes too! No ice! Probably terrible for me, with all the sodium, but I feel like I get some veggies in.

Me too! I'm not a big juice drinker so it's a special treat. Plus the oj they have on flights is usually terrible.

I love the idea of bringing celery on a flight. I never bring my own food (other than dry foods) because I'm afraid my expensive goodies will get confiscated at security.

_________________
http://hotveganchickpeas.wordpress.com (food blog)
http://baybalcony.wordpress.com (gardening blog)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Maryland/DC area
I've never had food confiscated at security but when we were going to Antarctica, I took something like 40 snack bars (luna, clif, lara, can't remember what else). They did look at it but they were like whatever.

I can't do tomato juice myself, usually ginger ale is my plane treat.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4672
Location: United States of New England
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:17 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:47 pm
Posts: 2066
Location: Western North Carolina
LisaPunk wrote:
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.



International travel rules- no bringing fresh food from other places that could have diseases that you will unleash on them.

_________________
Evolved a vascular system, so I went from bryophyte to lycophyte.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Maryland/DC area
Yeah, California is very picky about that stuff too. They will also confiscate jars of peanut butter.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
Mediocre Tart
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4571
Location: under the skyscrapers
LisaPunk wrote:
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.

Well, they will likely confiscate food that could be considered a paste if it's over 100mls and you can't fit it in that wee baggie that make-up and such goes in. Hummus, tartex, speculoos pasta and such.

_________________
"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine
"I have so much more creepiness inside of me that I should share with the world" - bastah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
Mediocre Tart
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4571
Location: under the skyscrapers
Oh, fresh stuff- i'm slightly obsessed with those Australia border control tv shows. You can't take ANYTHING to Australia, it seems!

_________________
"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine
"I have so much more creepiness inside of me that I should share with the world" - bastah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4672
Location: United States of New England
lycophyte wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.



International travel rules- no bringing fresh food from other places that could have diseases that you will unleash on them.



yeah i know about produce and stuff but i was thinking like snack food and like sandwiches.

though i do specifically remember about a million years ago when i was in high school i went to france for 2 weeks and when we flew back to boston we were walking through customs and they were just like sort of saying stuff out loud asking us if we had wine, cigarettes or SANDWICHES>

i was like sandwiches?!?!?!
they never asked about produce and i think i had a piece of fruit in my bag :-P

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:34 pm 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7989
Location: Maryland/DC area
interrobang?! wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.

Well, they will likely confiscate food that could be considered a paste if it's over 100mls and you can't fit it in that wee baggie that make-up and such goes in. Hummus, tartex, speculoos pasta and such.


Which reminds me, I was flying to see Pandawithcookie and I had a couple tartex's in my bag. They pulled me to the side, looked at it and asked me if it was cat food. Then a supervisor came over and said "oh I know that stuff, it is ok" and they let me keep it!

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm 
Mediocre Tart
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4571
Location: under the skyscrapers
linanil wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
why would they confiscate food? i think food is fine.
ive never had an issue with it but usually i only have candy and granola bars.

Well, they will likely confiscate food that could be considered a paste if it's over 100mls and you can't fit it in that wee baggie that make-up and such goes in. Hummus, tartex, speculoos pasta and such.


Which reminds me, I was flying to see Pandawithcookie and I had a couple tartex's in my bag. They pulled me to the side, looked at it and asked me if it was cat food. Then a supervisor came over and said "oh I know that stuff, it is ok" and they let me keep it!

I threw out my shampoo to take a pot of speculoos pudding home from Amsterdam last year in my carry-on. I think I made the right choice.

_________________
"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine
"I have so much more creepiness inside of me that I should share with the world" - bastah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3712
Location: Edinburgh
My bean dip got confiscated when I was on my way back to the UK from my last US trip! I was super disappointed because that was gonna be my layover snack. But I had another can in my checked luggage, so I ate that when I got home. And then it turned out that bean dip was better at 11 than at 33 with several years of hummus-eating behind me.

ETA
interrobang?! wrote:
I threw out my shampoo to take a pot of speculoos pudding home from Amsterdam last year in my carry-on. I think I made the right choice.

That was a wise decision.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 9566
Location: Illinoize
LisaPunk wrote:
you have no choice vegan! you are going to a steak house! you are going to eat dead cow and you are going to like it!

that is sooo forked up.

id be all over the Indian buffet.

Well, vegan isn't a factor because i've managed to keep it quiet. But i really resent it when, especially if it's supposed to be FOR me, someone tells me they don't like my choice so they're going to override it. He is a friendly dude, but i don't want to go out alone with him while making small talk and answering a ton of questions even if he wants to go with me to the buffet.

I guess this is more of an anxiety peeve than a vegan one.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3385
Location: Bella Napoli
lavawitch wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I just happened to be looking at the Vegan Essentials new products and saw that Eco Planet now has frosted vegan pop-tart type things:

http://store.veganessentials.com/eco-pl ... p3924.aspx

Of course, they're also gluten-free.

I don't care for these myself but I thought of this thread immediately.

ETA: ouch, the reviews are terrible though

Pfff! Stop trying to make new products, Eco Planet, and dedicate all your efforts to brining your cheddar crackers back into production.


Yes, please.



I've been wondering where those are!

My pet peeve with them is that the shapes are articulated with such detail that they end up breaking into little pieces. I don't need an elaborately stamped prius, I just want something to compete with the ambient goldfish crackers that surround my daughter in a miasma of toddler snack whenever we hang out with other people. Something she can easily grab with little hands.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4672
Location: United States of New England
mrsbadmouth wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
you have no choice vegan! you are going to a steak house! you are going to eat dead cow and you are going to like it!

that is sooo forked up.

id be all over the Indian buffet.

Well, vegan isn't a factor because i've managed to keep it quiet. But i really resent it when, especially if it's supposed to be FOR me, someone tells me they don't like my choice so they're going to override it. He is a friendly dude, but i don't want to go out alone with him while making small talk and answering a ton of questions even if he wants to go with me to the buffet.

I guess this is more of an anxiety peeve than a vegan one.



yeah i wouldnt want to go either just because of the anxiety thing.
seems like at the VERY least if it's for you he should let you pick the place!

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:54 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I fly back from Vienna with a suitcase that is almost all processed vegan food (hello Tartex and Bacon Cheddar Cheezely). No one has ever said anything. I've probably just been lucky. I think enforcement is so dependent on whom you happen to catch.

I've been sniffed up and down by the food sniffing beagle and still passed. Man that dude is cute. Its hard not to pet him.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 pm 
Mediocre Tart
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4571
Location: under the skyscrapers
Tofulish wrote:
I fly back from Vienna with a suitcase that is almost all processed vegan food (hello Tartex and Bacon Cheddar Cheezely). No one has ever said anything. I've probably just been lucky. I think enforcement is so dependent on whom you happen to catch.

depends if you're doing hand luggage only though, I think? It's all good if you're putting things in the hold, but when carrying things onto the plane in your handbag or whatevs it can be a problem. But agreed it can depend on luck and the airport in question!

_________________
"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine
"I have so much more creepiness inside of me that I should share with the world" - bastah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:04 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9163
Location: Seattle
Airplane tomato juice drinkers unite!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3451
Location: Nashville, TN
This bakery in my husband's hometown has added a few vegan items to their cafe menu, along with some not so great, but edible vegan baked goods. I was checking out their menu to see if it was worth stopping in for lunch today, and their vegan breakfast plate (mostly bread and spreads) comes with a side of honey. Now I'm extremely distrusting of their desserts too...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 pm 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
interrobang?! wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I fly back from Vienna with a suitcase that is almost all processed vegan food (hello Tartex and Bacon Cheddar Cheezely). No one has ever said anything. I've probably just been lucky. I think enforcement is so dependent on whom you happen to catch.

depends if you're doing hand luggage only though, I think? It's all good if you're putting things in the hold, but when carrying things onto the plane in your handbag or whatevs it can be a problem. But agreed it can depend on luck and the airport in question!


You are right that checked luggage is more closely monitored, but there are limits to what you can bring over in your checked luggage as well - as lycophyte says - because people want to avoid invasive species, but also raw milk cheeses, sausage and processed meats. Hence the beagle at JFK. I really just want to rub his ears and tickle his tummy but that would probably get me a bit in Club Fed.

International PPKer meetups are the best. Such good snack hauls. ::mad love to Veg-Eric, who drove across the continent with a pallet of Speculoos::

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Last edited by Tofulish on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 10572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 423  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beer and Tofu, Google [Bot], zwingtip and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer