| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am 
Semen Strong

Nature's Organics makes fantastic vegan, not-animal-tested stuff!

I donated all the non-vegan bath products from my shower (my BIL's girlfriend worked for J&J so I got a baby tub full of their products) to a program that provides support for low income parents and their children. I do think you can also take it to Target or whatever and try and return it.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

If it was a premade basket they might not have realized it was goat milk soap, or noticed it was there at all. You should have no problem finding a program to donate it to. Heck, put it on kijiji as free to good home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I was given a bar of dark chocolate that had milkfat in it, because it said "all natural". Apparently if something says all natural on it it's vegan? I have no idea where people come up with this stuff. I explained that the "all natural" label doesn't mean anything, it's just a gimmick to make you pay more for food when you can buy the exact same thing without the label and pay less, and it has absolutely nothing to do with vegan foods at all. I also explained that you have to read the ingredients, if it has milk or whey anything, it's not vegan, or if it has eggs. But I think this person doesn't want to read ingredients on packaging. Which is fine, just don't buy me stuff to eat then. But what is so hard about turning something over and reading the ingredients?? My mom can do it. If my mom can do it anyone can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
Nature's Organics makes fantastic vegan, not-animal-tested stuff!

I donated all the non-vegan bath products from my shower (my BIL's girlfriend worked for J&J so I got a baby tub full of their products) to a program that provides support for low income parents and their children. I do think you can also take it to Target or whatever and try and return it.

that's a good idea. I also received in the mail yesterday milk based formula samples from Enfamil. I must be on some list.....

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You probably gave your e-mail address at a maternity store. You are now on all the lists.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im grumpy about lunch today.
no one's fault just had bad timing.

I went to a sandwich/deli place I go to sometimes to get a falafel/tabouli wrap and they told me they had just run out of falafel :-(
so I ordered a different sammich that has tofu and curried eggplant on it and they said ok.

couple minutes later I hear someone shouting my name.

they are out of tofu :-(
they asked me if I wanted feta in place of the tofu and I said I didn't eat dairy and what did they have with no meat and no dairy.

I ended up with a wrap of brown rice and really boring grilled veggies. :-(
they claimed they were gonna put hummus on it but they must have been low on that too cause I couldn't detect much.

it was ok just not something I wanted to pay for :-/

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
You probably gave your e-mail address at a maternity store. You are now on all the lists.

seriously. my MIL very very early on in my pregnancy sent me a $100 gift card to I think it was called Destination Maternity and I finally got to use it like a month ago.

we had to find a store called Destination Maternity and then when you check out they do everything but photocopy your driver's license and ask for you SSN.
normally I don't like to complain to cashiers or anything cause I feel like they are just doing what their evil overlords are commanding them to do but it got to the point where I was like "I don't even WANT to buy maternity clothes and you're making this even more unpleasant"

address, phone #, probably email........geesh.
they claimed I couldn't refuse or the register wouldn't spit out the receipt.

at the very least I never have to go their again.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

If I shop at places that INSIST on getting my email and phone, when I don't want to give it, I just give a fake one.

I have worked in email marketing. I know how those lists get bought, sold and distributed. I want NO part in that shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Alaina wrote:
I was given a bar of dark chocolate that had milkfat in it, because it said "all natural". Apparently if something says all natural on it it's vegan? I have no idea where people come up with this stuff. I explained that the "all natural" label doesn't mean anything, it's just a gimmick to make you pay more for food when you can buy the exact same thing without the label and pay less, and it has absolutely nothing to do with vegan foods at all. I also explained that you have to read the ingredients, if it has milk or whey anything, it's not vegan, or if it has eggs. But I think this person doesn't want to read ingredients on packaging. Which is fine, just don't buy me stuff to eat then. But what is so hard about turning something over and reading the ingredients?? My mom can do it. If my mom can do it anyone can.

Unless this person is a very close friend of yours, I wouldn't be that ticked about it. People who aren't vegan (or who don't have food allergies) generally don't think to read ingredients lists on the label. They may have heard you say once that you can have some dark chocolate because it's vegan and they had good intentions. I had a friend (who knows I am vegan, but isn't close) buy me those sriracha potato chips. He didn't even think to look at the label, because it's just not something he does, and who assumes that there is milk in potato chips? Not most (nonvegan) people, that's who!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont think omnis understand how pervasive milk products are.
the sriacha chips are a perfect example.

one of my coworkers keeps like candy and stuff on the file cabinet behind her desk. usually it's stuff i cant eat but no biggie.
one week she was all excited because she bought these granola bars. they had pictures of endangered animals on them and had all sorts of key words like "ORGANIC!" and "NATURAL" and "GLUTEN FREE" on the packaging and hten later after she bought them she read the ingredients and saw there was milk in them.

she just assumed it was vegan because of all the buzzwords.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Unless this person is a very close friend of yours, I wouldn't be that ticked about it. People who aren't vegan (or who don't have food allergies) generally don't think to read ingredients lists on the label. They may have heard you say once that you can have some dark chocolate because it's vegan and they had good intentions. I had a friend (who knows I am vegan, but isn't close) buy me those sriracha potato chips. He didn't even think to look at the label, because it's just not something he does, and who assumes that there is milk in potato chips? Not most (nonvegan) people, that's who!

Not a close friend, but someone whose been told multiple times that you have to read the ingredients. They knew cause last time they asked I said you have to read the ingredients on the dark chocolate to make sure there's no dairy in it. Some don't have dairy and some do, you have to read the ingredients. But every conversation seems end like "I want to buy you vegan food but not if I have to read packaging". And goes in circles too. Like Them: "Do you eat bread?", Me "if it doesn't have milk or egg ingredients" Them: "So do you eat bread?" Me: head desk.
But what really got me was "it said all natural so isn't that vegan?" I know I never said that. Like even if you won't turn something over to read the ingredients what about an "all natural" label on the front of the package would make someone think it's vegan? Like you see that on meat and dairy products too. I'm not ticked, but like it's going to keep happening with this person, and I've told them they don't have to buy me anything food related, it's fine not too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
i dont think omnis understand how pervasive milk products are.
the sriacha chips are a perfect example.

one of my coworkers keeps like candy and stuff on the file cabinet behind her desk. usually it's stuff i cant eat but no biggie.
one week she was all excited because she bought these granola bars. they had pictures of endangered animals on them and had all sorts of key words like "ORGANIC!" and "NATURAL" and "GLUTEN FREE" on the packaging and hten later after she bought them she read the ingredients and saw there was milk in them.

she just assumed it was vegan because of all the buzzwords.

Ah is that the answer: buzzwords?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm 

I think buzzwords are the answer, for sure! On a somewhat related topic, I absolutely love it (like, for real) when I get texts from omnis in grocery stores that say, 'Cocoa butter?' It's happened at least three times and it always makes me giggle. Because I really can see why that might be confusing to them. Sort of. Although when they say, 'Peanut butter?' I am not quite as amused. I had a server at a restaurant ask me if I could have flour the other day. She was checking to see if the fried pickle batter had milk or eggs. It didn't, but it did have flour. Not sure how that's confusing, but...thanks for asking?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, hopefully, they won't buy you chocolate again. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:53 pm 

Oh man, if they are so easily deceived by buzzwords, they should brush up on what they mean, or don't mean. Not to buy food for vegans, but so they know what they are buying for themselves at least. Someone I work with insists that "you don't know if organic is organic" but buys everything all natural, even though that label is totally meaningless.

I routinely get asked if I can eat broccoli. I don't know why, but something about me saying I'm vegan brings people to ask if I eat broccoli. And pasta, which is another, if it doesn't have eggs, diary thing.... It's also amazing how many people never realized pasta has ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Restaurants claiming a dish is vegetarian despite having parmesan cheese in it. More of a vegetarian pet peeve but if this country can't get vegetarian right how will I ever trust them with getting vegan right!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When the local co-op announces that they have started carrying beyond meat on Facebook and first comment is, but is it nogmo organic, the second is why would you want to eat something that resembles a slaughtered animal, and third third is I think it tastes like dog food.

Way to support out people who might have considered trying this product to cut down on their meat intake crassholes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Most vegetarian dishes are covered in cheese, and most vegetarians do not consider rennet. If you avoid rennet, almost no vegetarian dish anywhere actually is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 pm 

daisychain wrote:
Restaurants claiming a dish is vegetarian despite having parmesan cheese in it. More of a vegetarian pet peeve but if this country can't get vegetarian right how will I ever trust them with getting vegan right!

I don't understand...parmesan is vegetarian, right? It's cheese.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Most hard cheeses use animal rennet. Parmesan definitely does, so it isn't any more vegetarian than jello is, but loads of vegetarians who would not eat jello or take gel caps will eat hard cheese or cheese with unspecified rennet.

I'm including myself here. Totally idiotic disconnect and Im not sure why I never thought it through properly. Probably because not eating jello is a lot less inconvenient than OMG cheese pizza or cheddar grilled cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think it could also be that its not in the ingredients list so its easier to ignore. I never even heard of rennet until I went vegan and started reading stuff about how cheese isn't even vegetarian.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Rennet is in the ingredient lists for cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe not in Canada? I just checked my roommate's parm, no rennet.

ETA: I just checked all the cheese in the house, seems like all the brands use microbial enzymes instead of rennet. Explains why I never heard of it, seems not to be common here!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm 
Mediocre Tart

allularpunk wrote:
daisychain wrote:

I don't understand...parmesan is vegetarian, right? It's cheese.

Parmesan always has animal rennet in it, at least if it's actual parmesan:

"Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano). In order to be called ‘Parmesan’ this has to be produced according to traditional methods which use calf rennet. The regulations for its production state the following ingredients; cows milk, salt and calf rennet. The milk comes from cows reared in the defined geographical area and the use of the term parmesan as a product description is limited by European Union labelling law to being region specific"
http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=495

Shy Mox wrote:
Maybe not in Canada? I just checked my roommate's parm, no rennet.
It's not parmesan, then. Not that it matters to us in terms of eatings! but parmesan, to be called parmesan, is a particular thing made in a particular manner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

allularpunk wrote:
I think buzzwords are the answer, for sure! On a somewhat related topic, I absolutely love it (like, for real) when I get texts from omnis in grocery stores that say, 'Cocoa butter?' It's happened at least three times and it always makes me giggle. Because I really can see why that might be confusing to them. Sort of. Although when they say, 'Peanut butter?' I am not quite as amused. I had a server at a restaurant ask me if I could have flour the other day. She was checking to see if the fried pickle batter had milk or eggs. It didn't, but it did have flour. Not sure how that's confusing, but...thanks for asking?

Hehe, I get those texts too. "Guar gum?" I almost have biker boy cursing gratuitous whey as hard as I do. But, hey, he reads labels for me and texts me if he doesn't know what something is, so that's really a vegan pet awesome. (I think cocoa butter is genuinely confuzzling for a lot of people. I sounds so... buttery.)

Reply to topic  [ 10622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 425  Next