| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

on the whole, latin america is not the veg-friendliest place i can think of. there are some wonderful exceptions, but the traditional cuisine is meat heavy in many places and there's not great understanding of vegetarianism. i think the president of IVU may even be Brazilian [assuming she's still in office] and there is some cool veg cuisine, but the average person is not super sympathetic [although they're not necessarily douches like the person above!].

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mr. Shankly wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
karichelle wrote:
When people feel compelled to tag me in random Facebook posts of piles of fruit posing as cake. Um, I eat cake.

This sort of happened to me, but it was a picture of a nude Richard Simmons laying around in a pile of vegetables.

NO! You're kidding me? I was tagged in that exact same picture about 3 years ago. Hivemind insanity.

Totally not kidding! Weird!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

allularpunk wrote:
karichelle wrote:
When people feel compelled to tag me in random Facebook posts of piles of fruit posing as cake. Um, I eat cake.

This sort of happened to me, but it was a picture of a nude Richard Simmons laying around in a pile of vegetables.

I hope one day I can be tagged in such a picture!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Quote:
sorry it is Authentic Venezuelan food... so far we don't believe on vegan bcs our food is too good.

I would not even go to a place that could not take the time out to write 'because'....

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this article really irritated me.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

it's about a study done about red meat and heart disease. instead of just looking at fat and cholesterol as the culprits they look at a chemical that gets "burped" out of your intestines after you eat red meat.

they fed a steak to a vegan as part of the experiment which perplexes me but SCIENCE!

the part that annoys me is they seem to come to a conclusion about this chemical and how it links red meat and heart disease but instead of saying "gee we should really limit our intake of red meat cause here is MORE bad news" they are like "oh we'll make an antibiotic pill instead and then we can all keep eating our red meat.

what kind of BS is that?
they then go onward to say how vegans and vegetarians have a much lower amount of this chemical in their gut so when they do eat red meat it has almost no effect (cause you know we vegans love our steak on occasion!)

and then the last line.......don't get me started on the last line.......

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:59 am 
Grandfathered In

I thought this was the dumbest part:
Quote:
The study does not mean that red meat is entirely bad or that it is best to avoid it entirely.... Meat contains protein, for example....

So does... almost everything else.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh my god i was so irritated by the previous sentence about it not being entirely bad (after they tell you all the bad things about it) that i didnt even see that.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

what a peas poor sentence :-P

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

geeksweetheart wrote:

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm hoping this stuff tastes like the green shaker can. I liked Parmesan, but nothing tastes better on spaghetti than that to me, lol.

Ok, this stuff tastes JUST like the kraft in a can cheese you are looking form. My omni partner loves it. I found it at whole foods, and also a local health food store.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:56 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I was having a conversation about the farm sanctuary I visit and this older co-worker comes up to me and says, "You know you people are destroying the environment, right?" I said, "what? How do you figure?" "well, they're knocking down rainforests in the amazon to make way for soy" "maybe so, but that's mostly for animal feed"

GRJHGJKFHDJKFHDFJK.
And then she wouldn't believe me.

So I just emailed her a list of articles about how most of that soy is for animal feed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

Chicki wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm hoping this stuff tastes like the green shaker can. I liked Parmesan, but nothing tastes better on spaghetti than that to me, lol.

Ok, this stuff tastes JUST like the kraft in a can cheese you are looking form. My omni partner loves it. I found it at whole foods, and also a local health food store.

Awesome! I'll look at WF. Is it in the refrigerated section or on the shelf? The kind I bought was actually on the shelf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

paprikapapaya wrote:
I was having a conversation about the farm sanctuary I visit and this older co-worker comes up to me and says, "You know you people are destroying the environment, right?" I said, "what? How do you figure?" "well, they're knocking down rainforests in the amazon to make way for soy" "maybe so, but that's mostly for animal feed"

GRJHGJKFHDJKFHDFJK.
And then she wouldn't believe me.

So I just emailed her a list of articles about how most of that soy is for animal feed.

This is the anti-vegan argument that gets thrown at me the most. It's crazy-making!!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Then it devolved into the person I was originally talking to and this lady talking about how they love meat and cheese, right in front of me. I feel really disrespected right now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

Just a guess, but I don't think it is vegan. The other soya kaas products aren't and I found one site that listed casein as an ingredient. Obviously if you have the canister, you can tell the ingredients better than I.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I was thinking the same thing!
isn't soy kaas the one that is lactose free but has casein in it?

maybe the shaky cheese doesn't because I think the casein is in the other products to make it melty?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

Maaaaaan. Well we'll see how the one I got (specifically labelled vegan) is. If it's good then I won't need to worry about it!
Thank you all for your assistance in my quest for shitty shaker cheese. :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The shakey one is vegan, but I know some of their other products are not.

It's in the refridgerated section, with the other non-dairy cheese...usually right next to the cheese

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
WRETCHED

Maybe they changed their ingredients because it looks like they do have some other vegan cheeses (which is news to me) but this one lists Sodium Caseinate as an ingredient on their site, I couldn't find the ingredients on the official Soya Kaas site:
http://www.shopwell.com/soya-kaas-natur ... 7801600482

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You guys cannot find Parma? Parma is pretty easy to find at Whole Foods, unless I am missing out on something...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:07 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

missmuffcake wrote:
You guys cannot find Parma? Parma is pretty easy to find at Whole Foods, unless I am missing out on something...

Parma is the best, unless you're making your own. It's just walnuts, nooch and salt - unless you're buying one of their newer varieties: http://www.eatparma.com/. But making your own is so much cheaper - all you need is a good food processor or even a small coffee grinder.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I don't think it's at all whole foods, mine doesn't have it.

Not complaining,I've always hated Parmesan cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 am 
Naked Under Apron

I went to my cousins' b'nai mitzvah this weekend. (That's a bar/bat mitzvah for twins -- Hebrew grammar is weird.) On the RSVP, there was a choice of chicken or fish. I wrote in "vegan." When the waiters came around to the tables to ask everybody whether they'd ordered chicken or fish, I said, "I ordered vegan." He said, "You're vegan, right, not vegetarian?" I said yes.

So they brought the food. They put a plate of chicken in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He put a plate of fish in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He took away the plate of fish, went over to another guest at the table, and exchanged that plate of fish for the seemingly identical plate of fish in front of the other guy, then put this new plate of fish in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He said, "Yes, this is vegan." I said, "No, that's fish." He said, "This is vegan." This went on for a while until he finally took the fish away. After about five minutes, he came back with a plate with some rice with vegetables (which was actually decent), some asparagus, and a piece of tofu. The tofu had been seared, but there was no other preparation -- no sauce or seasonings or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

WHY ARE YOU SO PICKY?

[sorry, my sympathies. this is why when i go to family events i just drink.]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I like that he tried to exchange one plate of fish for an identical plate of fish.

OH THIS FISH IS VEGAN!

>_<

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

So this is a gripe that is vegan related, since I am sure most of us shop in the bulk bins or have done so. On Sunday this couple came over to the bulk bins where I was looking at the dried fruit, the husband puts his hand in the chocolate nuts, pulls some out and starts eating them...I give them a dirty look, the wife just looks a bit embarrassed and then they walk off. I have seen this before. I find it rude and gross since every time I see it they just reach in - no tongs or gloves...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

umm....EW!!!!
that is gross!!

im not really a germaphobe but that is gross!

Reply to topic  [ 10595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 424  Next