| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 498  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:
I like that he tried to exchange one plate of fish for an identical plate of fish.

OH THIS FISH IS VEGAN!

>_<

Yes, because the fish ate nothing but algae and plants all of its life. It must be vegan, how obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

linanil wrote:
Maybe they changed their ingredients because it looks like they do have some other vegan cheeses (which is news to me) but this one lists Sodium Caseinate as an ingredient on their site, I couldn't find the ingredients on the official Soya Kaas site:
http://www.shopwell.com/soya-kaas-natur ... 7801600482

Son Of A bisque. don't eat that.

see...I have been vegan for YEARS and this shiitake still slips past me. I don't know if I missed it, or they changed or what. Some dude at whole foods years ago helped me pick it out. He was a really strict vegan, and he reccomended it.

I have to keep reading labels, even for stuff I have been buying for years. We all should I guess. I see other people doing this all the time too.

At least, I don't like it that much. I have pretty much switched over to nooch on my pasta.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:

Son Of A bisque. don't eat that.

see...I have been vegan for YEARS and this shiitake still slips past me. I don't know if I missed it, or they changed or what. Some dude at whole foods years ago helped me pick it out. He was a really strict vegan, and he reccomended it.

I have to keep reading labels, even for stuff I have been buying for years. We all should I guess. I see other people doing this all the time too.

At least, I don't like it that much. I have pretty much switched over to nooch on my pasta.

Formulas definitely do change. I make pretty stupid mistakes sometimes because I don't realize how something could not be vegan but then it is. Which is a pet peeve... things that should be vegan but aren't somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

missmuffcake wrote:
So this is a gripe that is vegan related, since I am sure most of us shop in the bulk bins or have done so. On Sunday this couple came over to the bulk bins where I was looking at the dried fruit, the husband puts his hand in the chocolate nuts, pulls some out and starts eating them...I give them a dirty look, the wife just looks a bit embarrassed and then they walk off. I have seen this before. I find it rude and gross since every time I see it they just reach in - no tongs or gloves...

Ewwwwww!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Larisa wrote:
I went to my cousins' b'nai mitzvah this weekend. (That's a bar/bat mitzvah for twins -- Hebrew grammar is weird.) On the RSVP, there was a choice of chicken or fish. I wrote in "vegan." When the waiters came around to the tables to ask everybody whether they'd ordered chicken or fish, I said, "I ordered vegan." He said, "You're vegan, right, not vegetarian?" I said yes.

So they brought the food. They put a plate of chicken in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He put a plate of fish in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He took away the plate of fish, went over to another guest at the table, and exchanged that plate of fish for the seemingly identical plate of fish in front of the other guy, then put this new plate of fish in front of me. I said, "No, I'm vegan." He said, "Yes, this is vegan." I said, "No, that's fish." He said, "This is vegan." This went on for a while until he finally took the fish away. After about five minutes, he came back with a plate with some rice with vegetables (which was actually decent), some asparagus, and a piece of tofu. The tofu had been seared, but there was no other preparation -- no sauce or seasonings or anything.

Woah, I think I talked to the exact same person today! Well, it was a she. And it was the phone line for the company that runs the dinner cruises. The FRG (wives' group from my husband's ship, basically) is hosting a deployment halfway night on a dinner cruise. Nothing like being trapped on a boat with no food, right? Well the menu options are obviously not vegan and they want my meal choice, so I assure the woman organizing it, who seems to be feeling really bad about it when I assure her that I can just eat ahead of time and enjoy liquid meal aboard, that I'll call and talk to them and maybe they can veganize the vegetarian option (it's pasta with cheese and vegetables and bechamel) thinking they might just have a standard "picky as hell" option for my fellow dietary weirdos. I mean, this IS California.

So I call and say I'm vegan, and she's rattling off the menu options and assures me there's a vegetarian, and then I'm like, well, I don't eat cheese, and then it's well I can upgrade to steak, and then I say no, I don't eat those, but I was wondering if it was possible to get a vegetarian dish with no eggs or cheese, like if the pasta could be modified with just the red sauce and vegetables..Really? I don't eat cheese? What about the salmon? No? There's vegetable pasta with cheese, that's the vegetarian option!

ARGGH I was like, look, nevermind, Lara bars in each pocket and champagne dinner it is, I guess. Even the salad is listed as having cheese, and of course none of the desserts will work.. Mostly I just feel kinda bad for the woman who's organizing it, I hate making people feel bad at events like this when I'm not able to eat anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really think it says more about the "sad" factor of the SAD...where no one can fathom that someone would not eat cheese or eggs, because zomg cake just isn't good without animal products.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There's a paleo restaurant in my town now. And they have vegan cookies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

linanil wrote:
Formulas definitely do change. I make pretty stupid mistakes sometimes because I don't realize how something could not be vegan but then it is. Which is a pet peeve... things that should be vegan but aren't somehow.

Yes. I accidentally ate those stupid Morningstar Farm crumbles for almost a *year* after that ceased being vegan. Foooork.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

annak wrote:
ARGGH I was like, look, nevermind, Lara bars in each pocket and champagne dinner it is, I guess. Even the salad is listed as having cheese, and of course none of the desserts will work.. Mostly I just feel kinda bad for the woman who's organizing it, I hate making people feel bad at events like this when I'm not able to eat anything.

I never feel bad about explaining vegan diets and expecting to be fed well - this is their business and if they expect to book group dinners they need to accommodate everyone. But I am patient and nice rather than rude about it, and it is necessary to give advance notice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

quark wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yes. I accidentally ate those stupid Morningstar Farm crumbles for almost a *year* after that ceased being vegan. Foooork.

Remember the video "shiitake Vegans Say"? I feel like once a week when I'm getting groceries I almost buy something before CASEIN leaps out of me from the ingredients list and I'm like "Casein. shiitake."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the delicious Italian sausages from Vegan Brunch. It was my first time and I was rather proud of them. I got my grandmother to try a bite and though I didn't expect her to love it, I wasn't expecting: "Well I don't think I'm going to throw up." As a response to my asking how it was. How is that ever allowed to be said about someone's food? Especially while they're eating it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

Jill wrote:
annak wrote:

I never feel bad about explaining vegan diets and expecting to be fed well - this is their business and if they expect to book group dinners they need to accommodate everyone. But I am patient and nice rather than rude about it, and it is necessary to give advance notice.

I was trying to be patient, but I just kept getting greeted with "hey look, steak!" "oh, don't want steak? FISH!" "but Pasta!" "Oh, that won't work? STEAK!" rather than an answer to the simple question of whether they were able to modify the meals at all (with advance notice - it's a month away) to accommodate me. I was thoroughly prepared for the answer to be no, but not that the very idea of dietary restrictions not met by the 4 menu options would just be THAT incomprehensible to her. It was a national line, which may have been the trouble, I found a local contact number I might try when I'm feeling less..defeated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have a classmate who is fairly nice, but she loves to talk down my food. Yesterday I had tacos and she said "That actually looks kind of good for being *that* kind of food!". I actually replied "What is with you always complaining about my food?" and she said "What! I said it looked good!"

Maybe this doesn't come across in my shitty translation, but the way she worded it in Swedish it was a very obvious put-down. *That* kind of food as in "inferior and weird kind of food".

Then she proceeded to complain that her daughter's boyfriend is vegetarian and boast about how she makes him cook for himself when he comes over. "He thinks it's better for the environment, bless his heart!"

I just changed the subject, but really - it gets me down. I like eating with my fellow students, but every time we eat together she always comments negatively on my food. Either because it's vegan, but usually because it's "weird" - spicy or including veggies she doesn't like etc. She never comments on anyone elses food!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shy Mox wrote:
quark wrote:
linanil wrote:

Remember the video "shiitake Vegans Say"? I feel like once a week when I'm getting groceries I almost buy something before CASEIN leaps out of me from the ingredients list and I'm like "Casein. shiitake."

Ugh. For me it is "Dammit! Whey!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 am 
WRETCHED

I still get mad at the egg whites that are in the TJs Italian Sausages.

Although I guess the worst mistake I've made was by buying a "Beef and Potato" burrito from WFs. I swore it said bean, I even looked at the ingredient list. It wasn't until later that I realized Beef was not Bean.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

amonik wrote:
I have a classmate who is fairly nice, but she loves to talk down my food. Yesterday I had tacos and she said "That actually looks kind of good for being *that* kind of food!". I actually replied "What is with you always complaining about my food?" and she said "What! I said it looked good!"

Maybe this doesn't come across in my shitty translation, but the way she worded it in Swedish it was a very obvious put-down. *That* kind of food as in "inferior and weird kind of food".

Then she proceeded to complain that her daughter's boyfriend is vegetarian and boast about how she makes him cook for himself when he comes over. "He thinks it's better for the environment, bless his heart!"

I just changed the subject, but really - it gets me down. I like eating with my fellow students, but every time we eat together she always comments negatively on my food. Either because it's vegan, but usually because it's "weird" - spicy or including veggies she doesn't like etc. She never comments on anyone elses food!

This happens to me a lot. More when I worked in the restaurant and my co-workers saw me eat every time I was there. A few weeks ago, my gallery boss happened to walk in while I was eating (I generally am alone during eating hours there, though) and said, 'Normally I don't like your kind of food, but that looks good!' I don't understand why they always have to justify thinking something vegan looks tasty by saying that, by the way, there's no way they'd ever actually eat it, though. Keep yer trap shut, then!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

my almost vegan friend and her friend had a joint birthday thing last week, and i stopped on my way there to get a couple of pieces of cake from a nearby cafe. the shop sells both vegan and non-vegan goods, and this cake happened to be vegan. i was happy about it, but i'd probably have taken whatever they had (almost vegan friend will take dairy milk if the coffee shop doesn't have nondairy milk, and i'm pretty sure she'd eat an eggy cake outside of her home). anyway, i brought it in and put it on the table and didn't say anything about it. my friend ate her piece right away and said it was awesome. the other girl didn't touch her cake until we were almost ready to leave, and when she was halfway through it my friend asked her what she thought of it. she said it was really good, and my friend yelled, "IT'S VEGAN!" (she was a little drunk.) the girl stopped chewing, made a face, looked at me, somehow managed to choke down her mouthful of suddenly inedible cake, and said, "i could tell there was a taste, like a distinctive, different taste, but i didn't know it was vegan." um, that distinctive taste is almond extract, not vegan subterfuge.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

acr wrote:
um, that distinctive taste is almond extract, not vegan subterfuge.

Sigging!

ETA: Never mind... it won't let me. Not if I want to keep the pandacookie sig. Please someone sig this line so it's preserved for posterity!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lepelaar wrote:
acr wrote:

Sigging!

ETA: Never mind... it won't let me. Not if I want to keep the pandacookie sig. Please someone sig this line so it's preserved for posterity!

If you make your font in your sig line smaller, it will let you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

allularpunk wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
acr wrote:

Sigging!

If you make your font in your sig line smaller, it will let you!

Nope. Still wouldn't let me (and in fact adding the code to change the font size upped the character count).

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am 
Grandfathered In

People just don't know what vegan means. Even if you explain it. And then re-explain it.

I think plenty of people truly believe something is only vegan if it includes some kind of strange, not-really-food additive or concoction.

"Hey, this cake is good."

"Ha ha! There are no eggs in it!"

"Blarrrrf" *spits out cake*

I'll never get it.

I would understand "Well, it's good anyway" or even "I didn't know a cake without eggs could be this good." But not "No eggs?! What are you trying to do, poison me?!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lepelaar wrote:
Nope. Still wouldn't let me (and in fact adding the code to change the font size upped the character count).

Oh, lame.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

seeing the morning news team try out the new vegan tofu stuff from Chipotle and making stupid comments and faces...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm 
Grandfathered In

If they admit they like it, people will think they aren't real men.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

At two different restaurants that label the vegan menu items, I've seen items not labeled vegan although there was nothing in the description that would suggest they weren't. I asked what made them not vegan, and the answer both times was that they are fried in the same oil as other stuff. I don't care about that, but I then felt like I shouldn't order those items or they would think I wasn't really vegan. So maybe I am my own problem, but I was annoyed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 498  Next