| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12029 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

missmuffcake wrote:
Today I saw someone at the bookstore buying "Betty Goes Vegan"...I was like "that is a cool book! are you vegan?" she said "yes", I replied "me too!"...I thought I could make a new vegan friend, she said something and left. :/

I've done this before too! It's so sad when there's no reciprocation!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

when I went to Rock Camp they were super awesome about dietary restrictions. and they were also like "if the dietary restrictions don't apply to you please don't eat that food so the people who need it can have it"
we were all sitting around eating pizza for lunch and I noticed someone else was eating the vegan pizza and I was like "omg are you a vegan too?!?!?!"
and they gave me a look and were like "no im just super allergic to dairy" and then I felt like a jerk who was policing the vegan food when all I wanted was to make a vegan pal.

im terrible at making friends anyways so I crawled back into my hermit crab shell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:28 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got a new book on eating for beauty...I like this sort of stuff. Um until the recommended breakfast comes into play...3 stalks of celery. Um? Granted I am not a huge breakfast person: a Luna fiber bar or a small plate of fruit with tea...but 3 pieces of plain celery???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:32 am 
Semen Strong

Is there something special about celery or is it just suggested because the book equates being hungry with beauty? If I had 3 stalks of celery for breakfast, I would turn into Oscar the Grouch

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Is there something special about celery or is it just suggested because the book equates being hungry with beauty? If I had 3 stalks of celery for breakfast, I would turn into Oscar the Grouch

I guess it is high in water content...but it is either celery or some green drink...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Its all very nice to say "there is no one way of doing things" but science is not a matter of opinion.

If WAPF is putting out the idea that vegan women's breastmilk is nutritionally imperfect and so they need to be feeding their children raw milk instead or commercial formula, then (1) people should debunk that shiitake, because (a) its dangerous and (b) in the marketplace of ideas, if you throw something out, someone else has the right to call bullshiitake and (2) given that as individuals we cannot do the scientific studies for ourselves, organizations that present themselves as impartial or objective experts should have some responsibility to the individuals consuming the data they put out there.

http://unlatched.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... -advocate/

There is enough fear about what to feed babies, that it is really irresponsible to capitalize on those fears (debunked by the AAP) to push your agenda.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

HAH! If I only ate 3 piece of celery for breakfast, I would murder someone before lunch. Blood spatter = the new black

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

Quote:
3 pieces of celery for breakfast

That's three pieces of celery wrapped in tempeh bacon and sitting on a bed nooch filled tofu scramble, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tofulish wrote:
Its all very nice to say "there is no one way of doing things" but science is not a matter of opinion.

If WAPF is putting out the idea that vegan women's breastmilk is nutritionally imperfect and so they need to be feeding their children raw milk instead or commercial formula, then (1) people should debunk that shiitake, because (a) its dangerous and (b) in the marketplace of ideas, if you throw something out, someone else has the right to call bullshiitake and (2) given that as individuals we cannot do the scientific studies for ourselves, organizations that present themselves as impartial or objective experts should have some responsibility to the individuals consuming the data they put out there.

http://unlatched.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... -advocate/

There is enough fear about what to feed babies, that it is really irresponsible to capitalize on those fears (debunked by the AAP) to push your agenda.

wow homemade formula and raw milk.
wow wow wow wow wow
there are no words.

isnt homemade formula like something they vehemently warn people against doing????????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Quote:
3 pieces of celery for breakfast

That's three pieces of celery wrapped in tempeh bacon and sitting on a bed nooch filled tofu scramble, right?

no - just 3 pieces of celery...according to the books i am reading you cannot eat sugar, wheat, fruit juice, soy products (for the most part) and be beautiful...some of the advice is good and is helping me with a project/my own studies but a lot of it is kinda not good. i am sorry but lemon juice in water is not a night time snack!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's not even an appealing drink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If celery weren't gross, that might work as breakfast for me at, say, 5 am, assuming I eat actually real food at 8 or 9. That's sort of what I do in the mornings since actual food at 4:30-5 makes me sick.

If that's not a precursor to a later breakfast, what the fizzle? Passing out is so sexy, right? Maybe you time your celery intake just right so your swoon lands you in the arms of Fabio?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:06 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

missmuffcake wrote:
I got a new book on eating for beauty...I like this sort of stuff. Um until the recommended breakfast comes into play...3 stalks of celery. Um? Granted I am not a huge breakfast person: a Luna fiber bar or a small plate of fruit with tea...but 3 pieces of plain celery???

What is the book, if you don't mind sharing? I like stuff like that too, although I don't always apply everything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

baps wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:
So they same news team that was talking smack about the veg burritos yesterday had a burger guy on today...The anchor was like "your my hero, I read that you turned your wife into a meat eater after she was vegetarian for 17 years"...."Dude my wife is vegetarian give me some tips"...

I have a tip for his wife: leave him...jerk.

ugh, wanker. I have an uncle who likes to say he takes great pleasure in converting vegetarians back to meat. I think my cousin's girlfriend was veggie but now eats meat again or something and he seems to think it's his doing.

A co-worker at another division that I was visiting made this comment:
"I had a girlfriend that* was a vegetarian. I broke her of that habit."

Like its crack or something, and he should feel good about forcing her out of her food choices.
(And I asterisked "that" because dumbpants doesn't know the difference between that and who. Unless he meant his girlfriend was an object, which is entirely possible. Regardless, I want to have my small "grammar superiority" moment because the guy was a tool. Or a wanker, to smartly quote baps.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 pm 

gaia13 wrote:

What is the book, if you don't mind sharing? I like stuff like that too, although I don't always apply everything.

The Beauty Detox Foods - Kimberly Snyder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I know this is an oft-mentioned one, but yesterday my department had a small (but hugely helpful) dissertation-writing conference, which included a catered lunch from a local Thai place. I only heard about the lunch the day before, but I wasn't expecting anything vegan, and packed an apple, a coconut yogurt, and some nuts to hedge my bets. When the food arrived at noon, it turned out that they had made a point of ordering a ginormous pan of vegetarian pad thai - but of course it was full of eggs, so I couldn't eat it. There were also some vegetarian dumplings and plain rice (and I hadn't expected even that), so I was fine, but the girl was like, "Oh, you can eat this!" and I had to say, "It has eggs in it, but I'm fine, don't worry about it," which makes me feel ungracious and as if I need to apologize even though I A. never asked or expected to be catered for, and B. it's not as if the food was wasted because hello? Grad students + free lunch = no leftovers. Somehow it's sort of worse when someone tries to accommodate you and misses the mark then when they're just like, "Oh, we're having pizza, nevermind."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Desdemona wrote:
Somehow it's sort of worse when someone tries to accommodate you and misses the mark then when they're just like, "Oh, we're having pizza, nevermind."

I definitely agree with this. I always feel extra terrible turning food down when someone tried, even if I never asked in the first place.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kilgore trout wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Somehow it's sort of worse when someone tries to accommodate you and misses the mark then when they're just like, "Oh, we're having pizza, nevermind."

I definitely agree with this. I always feel extra terrible turning food down when someone tried, even if I never asked in the first place.

Yep.

A few weeks ago my boss brought coffee for everyone, but hot chocolate for me because she knew that I don't drink caffeine (bc I'm a crazy person), and I had to say no because the hot chocolate had dairy in it. So I was touched that she recognized my anxiety issues, but still couldn't accept the gift. Accessibility is a bisque.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes Des! meetup yesterday at a pizza place "so that you vegetarian types can have something to eat too". le sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm 
Chard Martyr

We went to this super posh country hotel in Southern England for my grandma's 95th birthday yesterday. My aunt so kindly arranged for my meal to be vegan, and Jay's vegetarian. His starter: creamy garlic soup that he was oohing and aahing over, and a delicate polenta dish with grilled asparagus and beautifully cooked root veggies along with a salad. Mine? A couple of chickpeas on some lettuce for a starter, and then more chickpeas in a bland sauce with mysteriously no veggies other than two broiled cherry tomatoes. I get that they have vegetarian dishes in their repertoire that are tried and tested, and appreciate the "effort", but my aunts paid through the roof for that occasion and I had to assure my entire family constantly that "YES! I am so happy with this meal!" because the occasion wasn't about me and everyone can get quite sensitive about those things in my family. My aunt tried to sneak me some vegan chocolate from her purse while the others were having cake, but our server (understandably, I work in service too and I know how that goes) gave her the stink-eye. Even though we were allowed to bring in our own cake! Anyway, never mind. I had to really work to assure my aunts that I was (and am) SO GRATEFUL for their accommodating me, and that I did love (but didn't) what they offered.

Vegan pet peeve: having to lie about the quality of food because someone else paid for it; and I loathe being picky with servers because I don't want them to hate me even more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

vijita wrote:
We went to this super posh country hotel in Southern England for my grandma's 95th birthday yesterday. My aunt so kindly arranged for my meal to be vegan, and Jay's vegetarian. His starter: creamy garlic soup that he was oohing and aahing over, and a delicate polenta dish with grilled asparagus and beautifully cooked root veggies along with a salad. Mine? A couple of chickpeas on some lettuce for a starter, and then more chickpeas in a bland sauce with mysteriously no veggies other than two broiled cherry tomatoes. I get that they have vegetarian dishes in their repertoire that are tried and tested, and appreciate the "effort", but my aunts paid through the roof for that occasion and I had to assure my entire family constantly that "YES! I am so happy with this meal!" because the occasion wasn't about me and everyone can get quite sensitive about those things in my family. My aunt tried to sneak me some vegan chocolate from her purse while the others were having cake, but our server (understandably, I work in service too and I know how that goes) gave her the stink-eye. Even though we were allowed to bring in our own cake! Anyway, never mind. I had to really work to assure my aunts that I was (and am) SO GRATEFUL for their accommodating me, and that I did love (but didn't) what they offered.

Vegan pet peeve: having to lie about the quality of food because someone else paid for it; and I loathe being picky with servers because I don't want them to hate me even more.

And this is totally the worst. So this dinner cruise I'm supposed to go on, the person organizing it on our end keeps asking what I'd like for a meal, and I keep trying to explain that I can't eat any of it, so it doesn't really matter. I've tried contacting the company directly, and mostly at this point I am more concerned about how others will react to my not eating than that I'll have to eat ahead and stash a lara bar in my pocket. I don't mind paying for a meal I won't eat for one night to go on a boat trip with friends, I just hate the awkward moments where everyone's feeling sorry for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:06 pm 

vegan jealousy...the boyfriend got to try the new vegan sofritas from Chipotle. i have to go for lunch....i need to get over my fear of asking them to wipe things down due to allergies. i tip well though! that is good right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am 

I just got a list of pre-order recommendations from Amazon. Like 9 out of 10 books were paleo books. I do not even know what the hell paleo is besides some trendy food-diet fad.

Also another rant about diet/healthy living books: why is it when they have a picture of juice they are holding a glass of it with both hands like it is soooooo big you need both hands and a huge straw? Is it to make you believe you can live off green juice morning to night and even snack time? Who needs evil soy, flour or agave when you have a biggggg mug of green juice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

I know others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating! I agree.

Except in the case of Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge, I think their homemade vegan cheese sauce is nasty and I almost wish they would use Daiya.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12029 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 482  Next