| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 537  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4099
Location: Austin
missmuffcake wrote:
I just got a list of pre-order recommendations from Amazon. Like 9 out of 10 books were paleo books. I do not even know what the hell paleo is besides some trendy food-diet fad.

Also another rant about diet/healthy living books: why is it when they have a picture of juice they are holding a glass of it with both hands like it is soooooo big you need both hands and a huge straw? Is it to make you believe you can live off green juice morning to night and even snack time? Who needs evil soy, flour or agave when you have a biggggg mug of green juice!

Amazon is messed up in that paleo books and vegan books are both in the larger "vegetarian and vegetable cookbooks" category. It's a disservice to both genres.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
Quarantined wrote:
annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

I know others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating! I agree.

Except in the case of Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge, I think their homemade vegan cheese sauce is nasty and I almost wish they would use Daiya.


HA!! I saw that, and all I could think was thank goodness Veggie Galaxy offers the Daiya option. Their homemade cheese is the pits. I mean, I feel like some days it's OK, and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: WV
The whole 'is that MEAT?' thing happened again to me! Granted, I don't usually buy mock meats, but I've been interested in the new Kroger Simple Truth ones, because they're cheaper and accessible to me, for when I want something fast. So this time, it was the chicken strips that got me. I even spelled chicken as 'chickn'! And my vegan friend commented, 'What do you mean by Kroger chickn strips?' and I assumed she didn't know about them yet, so I told her all about them, and she said, 'Ok, that was what I thought/hoped.' Like, really?

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: WV
ndpittman wrote:
and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.


Hahahahahahahaha

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
allularpunk wrote:
The whole 'is that MEAT?' thing happened again to me! Granted, I don't usually buy mock meats, but I've been interested in the new Kroger Simple Truth ones, because they're cheaper and accessible to me, for when I want something fast. So this time, it was the chicken strips that got me. I even spelled chicken as 'chickn'! And my vegan friend commented, 'What do you mean by Kroger chickn strips?' and I assumed she didn't know about them yet, so I told her all about them, and she said, 'Ok, that was what I thought/hoped.' Like, really?


Ha! I almost commented because you specified vegan cream cheese and the vegan label was showing on the cream cheese. Also, I thought that sandwich looked awesome, and I wish I had one now.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Boston, MA
ndpittman wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

I know others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating! I agree.

Except in the case of Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge, I think their homemade vegan cheese sauce is nasty and I almost wish they would use Daiya.


HA!! I saw that, and all I could think was thank goodness Veggie Galaxy offers the Daiya option. Their homemade cheese is the pits. I mean, I feel like some days it's OK, and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.

yes- mustard! Do they have a Daiya option? I must have missed that, doh. I feel like this is one time where I would willingly choose Daiya over a homemade option.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6516
Location: Boston, MA
They added a Daiya option not too long ago, Quarantined. Although the last time I tried to get it, they still used the homemade stuff. It was one of the not too bad times though, so I just went with it.

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5107
Location: WV
ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
The whole 'is that MEAT?' thing happened again to me! Granted, I don't usually buy mock meats, but I've been interested in the new Kroger Simple Truth ones, because they're cheaper and accessible to me, for when I want something fast. So this time, it was the chicken strips that got me. I even spelled chicken as 'chickn'! And my vegan friend commented, 'What do you mean by Kroger chickn strips?' and I assumed she didn't know about them yet, so I told her all about them, and she said, 'Ok, that was what I thought/hoped.' Like, really?


Ha! I almost commented because you specified vegan cream cheese and the vegan label was showing on the cream cheese. Also, I thought that sandwich looked awesome, and I wish I had one now.


I know, seriously, if I was going to break vegan and eat chicken, I would totally buy dairy cream cheese for my bagelwich! (p.s. I really don't like that brand of vegan cream cheese, just what I get for straying from Tofutti!)

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8862
Location: Maryland/DC area
annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.


That has been my pet peeve for quite a while. Great Sage in MD used to have lovely cheese alternatives, now it is just Daiya.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5323
Location: Gallifrey
I really like Daiya but I also really liked that Veggie Planet used Teese. Now all they have is Daiya. :/ At least let me choose if I want Daiya or Teese.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Posts: 2832
Location: Boston, MA
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I really like Daiya but I also really liked that Veggie Planet used Teese. Now all they have is Daiya. :/ At least let me choose if I want Daiya or Teese.

yeah, I used to like the Teese there too. But I know someone who went there and they just put the Teese on in one thick slab on top that didn't melt at all, which I can imagine was gross. Viva Natural in NYC did that to me once when Teese first came out.

_________________
"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 729
Location: Indiana
Tom + Chee (small tomato soup and grilled cheese chain) uses Teese, which surprised me. I totally expected Daiya, probably the cheddar wedge just sliced, and could tell it was different. I saw it in their deli case on the way out the door (it's a former Penn Station so they have that meat/cheese case built into the counter) and was surprised, but pleasantly so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
Went to Costco with a co-worker today and he practically threw a tantrum in the granola bar aisle. Costco has a lot of bars, most of which are not vegan. I picked up a box of Clif mojo bars because they're good! Dude wanted something else. I said okay, that's fine, but I can't eat them because they have honey. He gave me a big sigh and a, "Well, I TRIED!! Get yours, I GUESSSSSS, and we'll TRY them THIS TIME!"

Our Costco snack list includes 99% frozen meaty crepe and other shiitake I can't eat, and you're going to give me attitude about granola bars? Pardon me for wanting to be able to eat something!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3746
Location: Bella Napoli
Your coworker sounds like kind of a dillhole, ashley. If they keep frozen things around for you, check out the Aji-no-moto yakisoba pucks. They are my heroin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
Cool, I'll remember to look for those next time! We always just go straight for the cheese steaks and chicken bakes and move along. Healthy eaters in my office.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1558
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
spotted on OKCupid:
Quote:
Q: Are you either vegetarian or vegan?

A: Yes

Explanation: “I try to eat as little meat as possible. I very rarely will cook a bit of chicken, but generally stay away from it :)”

not uncommon, but it still bothers me. "not that much meat" is not the same as "no meat". (although "as little meat as possible" is technically none whatsoever, in which case you're veg, but that's sort of a confusing way of putting it.)

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4099
Location: Austin
Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
Offline
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 5480
Location: United States of New England
ashley wrote:
Went to Costco with a co-worker today and he practically threw a tantrum in the granola bar aisle. Costco has a lot of bars, most of which are not vegan. I picked up a box of Clif mojo bars because they're good! Dude wanted something else. I said okay, that's fine, but I can't eat them because they have honey. He gave me a big sigh and a, "Well, I TRIED!! Get yours, I GUESSSSSS, and we'll TRY them THIS TIME!"

Our Costco snack list includes 99% frozen meaty crepe and other shiitake I can't eat, and you're going to give me attitude about granola bars? Pardon me for wanting to be able to eat something!



he couldn't get his own box o granola bars?!?!?!?!??!?/?????????

_________________
Unimpressed Baby Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Posts: 461
A colleague (who I like) organized this series of lunch meetings (pet peeve right there!) where different people do presentations and lunch is catered. For the first one it was pizza and she tried to get the pizza place to help me, but the person on the phone was dumb and I knew ahead of time that I needed to bring my own lunch. Fine. The next one is coming up on Monday and the lunch is from a barbecue place. That means the room is going to smell terrible (the kind of smell that sticks to your clothes, too) AND I won't get anything to eat. I looked at the menu and there were a few sides with notes that said they could be made w/o meat, so my colleague called to see if they could be made vegan. They can make two of them vegan: black beans (yay! one of my favorite foods) and steamed broccoli. One of the ones that CANNOT be made vegan is collard greens, because they use butter. So my peeve is: REALLY? With FOUR DAYS' ADVANCE NOTICE, a RESTAURANT can't figure out how to cook collard greens w/o butter?

There are a couple of veg places near my work that do catering. I suggested that one time the lunch should be from there, since the great thing about veg food is that everyone can eat it! She is a true omnivore who even eats tofu and drinks green smoothies, so her resistance comes from not wanting to peas other people off. We'll see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm 
Offline
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Sacramento
LisaPunk wrote:
ashley wrote:
Went to Costco with a co-worker today and he practically threw a tantrum in the granola bar aisle. Costco has a lot of bars, most of which are not vegan. I picked up a box of Clif mojo bars because they're good! Dude wanted something else. I said okay, that's fine, but I can't eat them because they have honey. He gave me a big sigh and a, "Well, I TRIED!! Get yours, I GUESSSSSS, and we'll TRY them THIS TIME!"

Our Costco snack list includes 99% frozen meaty crepe and other shiitake I can't eat, and you're going to give me attitude about granola bars? Pardon me for wanting to be able to eat something!



he couldn't get his own box o granola bars?!?!?!?!??!?/?????????

We ended up buying the Clif bars (I won!) and today he ate one and declared it "fantastic." And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I do not like your coworker.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4578
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
lavawitch wrote:
I do not like your coworker.


Um, this! He probably just wants you to decide they're not vegan enough so he can eat them all.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 pm 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10860
Location: Astoria, NY
Tonight I went to this cajun place in my 'hood that I know has a few veg options. it turned out only one of them was vegan, so i ordered it (veggie muffaletta w/no cheese) and the waitress says "so you're ok with the bread?" and i said "oh, um...it was vegan last time i asked about it..." and she said "well, all bread has a little egg and milk in it" and then i (kind of rudely) said "no it doesnt" and she was like "oh, really? huh."

then i ended up apologizing for being rude later, but it was a weird encounter. she probably should have said "do you want me to check and see if the bread has egg or milk in it?" She also assumed that the tofu po' boy wasnt' vegan, but now i'm wondering if it is or not since she just was sort of guessing that everything has egg and milk in it.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:43 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Cleveland, OH
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Tonight I went to this cajun place in my 'hood that I know has a few veg options. it turned out only one of them was vegan, so i ordered it (veggie muffaletta w/no cheese) and the waitress says "so you're ok with the bread?" and i said "oh, um...it was vegan last time i asked about it..." and she said "well, all bread has a little egg and milk in it" and then i (kind of rudely) said "no it doesnt" and she was like "oh, really? huh."

then i ended up apologizing for being rude later, but it was a weird encounter. she probably should have said "do you want me to check and see if the bread has egg or milk in it?" She also assumed that the tofu po' boy wasnt' vegan, but now i'm wondering if it is or not since she just was sort of guessing that everything has egg and milk in it.


Gah. Hate when staff is uniformed! This person is obviously confused about what bread is. Just went to the build-your-own taco place near my house tonight. They are veg friendly, even do a meatless Monday night and what not. They always have a guacamole special that is usually vegan. Tonight it sounded good, with fennel and pecans and a vinaigrette. When we asked if it was vegan, the bartender said he didn't think so because it seems like it would have honey in it. I mean, Im glad he knew that honey isn't vegan, but if you didn't know for sure whether or not the dish contained it, couldn't you offer to check? Also, since this is a place that caters to vegans, can't the kitchen just tell the front of the house if the specials are vegan, or better yet, mark it on the menu?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
ashley wrote:
And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.

He throws hissy fits about granola bars and he's the not-vegan vegan police? He sounds thoroughly charming.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 537  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Erika Soyf*cker, Google [Bot], jogirl, jojo and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer