| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 537  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:55 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

missmuffcake wrote:
I just got a list of pre-order recommendations from Amazon. Like 9 out of 10 books were paleo books. I do not even know what the hell paleo is besides some trendy food-diet fad.

Also another rant about diet/healthy living books: why is it when they have a picture of juice they are holding a glass of it with both hands like it is soooooo big you need both hands and a huge straw? Is it to make you believe you can live off green juice morning to night and even snack time? Who needs evil soy, flour or agave when you have a biggggg mug of green juice!

Amazon is messed up in that paleo books and vegan books are both in the larger "vegetarian and vegetable cookbooks" category. It's a disservice to both genres.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:54 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Quarantined wrote:
annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

I know others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating! I agree.

Except in the case of Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge, I think their homemade vegan cheese sauce is nasty and I almost wish they would use Daiya.

HA!! I saw that, and all I could think was thank goodness Veggie Galaxy offers the Daiya option. Their homemade cheese is the pits. I mean, I feel like some days it's OK, and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am 
WELFARIST!

The whole 'is that MEAT?' thing happened again to me! Granted, I don't usually buy mock meats, but I've been interested in the new Kroger Simple Truth ones, because they're cheaper and accessible to me, for when I want something fast. So this time, it was the chicken strips that got me. I even spelled chicken as 'chickn'! And my vegan friend commented, 'What do you mean by Kroger chickn strips?' and I assumed she didn't know about them yet, so I told her all about them, and she said, 'Ok, that was what I thought/hoped.' Like, really?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 am 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.

Hahahahahahahaha

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 am 

allularpunk wrote:
The whole 'is that MEAT?' thing happened again to me! Granted, I don't usually buy mock meats, but I've been interested in the new Kroger Simple Truth ones, because they're cheaper and accessible to me, for when I want something fast. So this time, it was the chicken strips that got me. I even spelled chicken as 'chickn'! And my vegan friend commented, 'What do you mean by Kroger chickn strips?' and I assumed she didn't know about them yet, so I told her all about them, and she said, 'Ok, that was what I thought/hoped.' Like, really?

Ha! I almost commented because you specified vegan cream cheese and the vegan label was showing on the cream cheese. Also, I thought that sandwich looked awesome, and I wish I had one now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
annak wrote:
I apologize if this has come up like this before, but my peeve of the day is restaurants that used to have their own homemade faux-cheese sauces and such, that are now just dumping Daiya on stuff. I mean, Daiya's fine, I like Daiya, I use it at home... but one of the reasons I go out to eat is to try dishes made with more ambition than I have.

I know others have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating! I agree.

Except in the case of Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge, I think their homemade vegan cheese sauce is nasty and I almost wish they would use Daiya.

HA!! I saw that, and all I could think was thank goodness Veggie Galaxy offers the Daiya option. Their homemade cheese is the pits. I mean, I feel like some days it's OK, and other days it just tastes like mustard and sadness.

yes- mustard! Do they have a Daiya option? I must have missed that, doh. I feel like this is one time where I would willingly choose Daiya over a homemade option.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 am 

They added a Daiya option not too long ago, Quarantined. Although the last time I tried to get it, they still used the homemade stuff. It was one of the not too bad times though, so I just went with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Ha! I almost commented because you specified vegan cream cheese and the vegan label was showing on the cream cheese. Also, I thought that sandwich looked awesome, and I wish I had one now.

I know, seriously, if I was going to break vegan and eat chicken, I would totally buy dairy cream cheese for my bagelwich! (p.s. I really don't like that brand of vegan cream cheese, just what I get for straying from Tofutti!)

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
WRETCHED

annak wrote:

That has been my pet peeve for quite a while. Great Sage in MD used to have lovely cheese alternatives, now it is just Daiya.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

I really like Daiya but I also really liked that Veggie Planet used Teese. Now all they have is Daiya. :/ At least let me choose if I want Daiya or Teese.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I really like Daiya but I also really liked that Veggie Planet used Teese. Now all they have is Daiya. :/ At least let me choose if I want Daiya or Teese.

yeah, I used to like the Teese there too. But I know someone who went there and they just put the Teese on in one thick slab on top that didn't melt at all, which I can imagine was gross. Viva Natural in NYC did that to me once when Teese first came out.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Tom + Chee (small tomato soup and grilled cheese chain) uses Teese, which surprised me. I totally expected Daiya, probably the cheddar wedge just sliced, and could tell it was different. I saw it in their deli case on the way out the door (it's a former Penn Station so they have that meat/cheese case built into the counter) and was surprised, but pleasantly so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Went to Costco with a co-worker today and he practically threw a tantrum in the granola bar aisle. Costco has a lot of bars, most of which are not vegan. I picked up a box of Clif mojo bars because they're good! Dude wanted something else. I said okay, that's fine, but I can't eat them because they have honey. He gave me a big sigh and a, "Well, I TRIED!! Get yours, I GUESSSSSS, and we'll TRY them THIS TIME!"

Our Costco snack list includes 99% frozen meaty crepe and other shiitake I can't eat, and you're going to give me attitude about granola bars? Pardon me for wanting to be able to eat something!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Your coworker sounds like kind of a dillhole, ashley. If they keep frozen things around for you, check out the Aji-no-moto yakisoba pucks. They are my heroin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 pm 

Cool, I'll remember to look for those next time! We always just go straight for the cheese steaks and chicken bakes and move along. Healthy eaters in my office.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am 
Level 7 Vegan

spotted on OKCupid:
Quote:
Q: Are you either vegetarian or vegan?

A: Yes

Explanation: “I try to eat as little meat as possible. I very rarely will cook a bit of chicken, but generally stay away from it :)”

not uncommon, but it still bothers me. "not that much meat" is not the same as "no meat". (although "as little meat as possible" is technically none whatsoever, in which case you're veg, but that's sort of a confusing way of putting it.)

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ashley wrote:
Went to Costco with a co-worker today and he practically threw a tantrum in the granola bar aisle. Costco has a lot of bars, most of which are not vegan. I picked up a box of Clif mojo bars because they're good! Dude wanted something else. I said okay, that's fine, but I can't eat them because they have honey. He gave me a big sigh and a, "Well, I TRIED!! Get yours, I GUESSSSSS, and we'll TRY them THIS TIME!"

Our Costco snack list includes 99% frozen meaty crepe and other shiitake I can't eat, and you're going to give me attitude about granola bars? Pardon me for wanting to be able to eat something!

he couldn't get his own box o granola bars?!?!?!?!??!?/?????????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

A colleague (who I like) organized this series of lunch meetings (pet peeve right there!) where different people do presentations and lunch is catered. For the first one it was pizza and she tried to get the pizza place to help me, but the person on the phone was dumb and I knew ahead of time that I needed to bring my own lunch. Fine. The next one is coming up on Monday and the lunch is from a barbecue place. That means the room is going to smell terrible (the kind of smell that sticks to your clothes, too) AND I won't get anything to eat. I looked at the menu and there were a few sides with notes that said they could be made w/o meat, so my colleague called to see if they could be made vegan. They can make two of them vegan: black beans (yay! one of my favorite foods) and steamed broccoli. One of the ones that CANNOT be made vegan is collard greens, because they use butter. So my peeve is: REALLY? With FOUR DAYS' ADVANCE NOTICE, a RESTAURANT can't figure out how to cook collard greens w/o butter?

There are a couple of veg places near my work that do catering. I suggested that one time the lunch should be from there, since the great thing about veg food is that everyone can eat it! She is a true omnivore who even eats tofu and drinks green smoothies, so her resistance comes from not wanting to peas other people off. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:
ashley wrote:

he couldn't get his own box o granola bars?!?!?!?!??!?/?????????

We ended up buying the Clif bars (I won!) and today he ate one and declared it "fantastic." And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I do not like your coworker.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
I do not like your coworker.

Um, this! He probably just wants you to decide they're not vegan enough so he can eat them all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tonight I went to this cajun place in my 'hood that I know has a few veg options. it turned out only one of them was vegan, so i ordered it (veggie muffaletta w/no cheese) and the waitress says "so you're ok with the bread?" and i said "oh, um...it was vegan last time i asked about it..." and she said "well, all bread has a little egg and milk in it" and then i (kind of rudely) said "no it doesnt" and she was like "oh, really? huh."

then i ended up apologizing for being rude later, but it was a weird encounter. she probably should have said "do you want me to check and see if the bread has egg or milk in it?" She also assumed that the tofu po' boy wasnt' vegan, but now i'm wondering if it is or not since she just was sort of guessing that everything has egg and milk in it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Tonight I went to this cajun place in my 'hood that I know has a few veg options. it turned out only one of them was vegan, so i ordered it (veggie muffaletta w/no cheese) and the waitress says "so you're ok with the bread?" and i said "oh, um...it was vegan last time i asked about it..." and she said "well, all bread has a little egg and milk in it" and then i (kind of rudely) said "no it doesnt" and she was like "oh, really? huh."

then i ended up apologizing for being rude later, but it was a weird encounter. she probably should have said "do you want me to check and see if the bread has egg or milk in it?" She also assumed that the tofu po' boy wasnt' vegan, but now i'm wondering if it is or not since she just was sort of guessing that everything has egg and milk in it.

Gah. Hate when staff is uniformed! This person is obviously confused about what bread is. Just went to the build-your-own taco place near my house tonight. They are veg friendly, even do a meatless Monday night and what not. They always have a guacamole special that is usually vegan. Tonight it sounded good, with fennel and pecans and a vinaigrette. When we asked if it was vegan, the bartender said he didn't think so because it seems like it would have honey in it. I mean, Im glad he knew that honey isn't vegan, but if you didn't know for sure whether or not the dish contained it, couldn't you offer to check? Also, since this is a place that caters to vegans, can't the kitchen just tell the front of the house if the specials are vegan, or better yet, mark it on the menu?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ashley wrote:
And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.

He throws hissy fits about granola bars and he's the not-vegan vegan police? He sounds thoroughly charming.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 537  Next