| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 426  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:02 am 
And you never will.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 pm
Posts: 3984
Location: Meh-phis
ashley wrote:
We ended up buying the Clif bars (I won!) and today he ate one and declared it "fantastic." And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.

He was probably trying to convince himself it wasn't vegan because he didn't want to admit that he liked something that was.

_________________
I'm in a pure mood with poopietits now. Damn her jugs! - interrobang?!
give my you inquiries! and give poopie you burritos. - acr
Sometimes I think, it's really my lack of cybernetic implants that keeps me from being truly human. - Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4881
Location: A New England
mollyjade wrote:
Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.
Plus they were religious fundamentalists, so that shiitake (along with genocide and imperialism) is divinely ordained!

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:57 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3791
Location: Austin
Desdemona wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.
Plus they were religious fundamentalists, so that shiitake (along with genocide and imperialism) is divinely ordained!

Also, if the world were vegan, the Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bulls wouldn't exist. These are serious issues that vegans don't think about enough.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: Sacramento
My vegan pet peeve of the day is forking rude hipster vegans. There must be nice, friendly, down to earth vegans in this city, but I have managed to meet all the crassholes.

_________________
grocery budget blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:55 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Apparently beans and legume s contain "anti nutrients" so they are only to be eaten by adults, sprouted and in Small amounts. This paleo garbage brought to you by an IIN graduate.

I cld argue but the stupid is too strong. The mom s group I am in has so many Paleo and WAPF people. They are all so nice but they take the nutritional advice of those groups with no criticism

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 402
Tofulish wrote:
Apparently beans and legume s contain "anti nutrients" so they are only to be eaten by adults, sprouted and in Small amounts. This paleo garbage brought to you by an IIN graduate.

I cld argue but the stupid is too strong. The mom s group I am in has so many Paleo and WAPF people. They are all so nice but they take the nutritional advice of those groups with no criticism


You could just remind them that in the exact same sense of the word calcium is an "anti-nutrient" because it interferes with iron absorption. Then just let them chase their tails trying to figure out how to rationalize their milk consumption.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 am 
Nooch of Earl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3407
Location: Bella Napoli
I don't think paleo people generally eat any dairy.

When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase, it seemed like raw vegan ingredients were pretty much the intersection of our diets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am 
Semen Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18627
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am 
***LIES!!!***
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3446
Anti-nutrient usually means something that inhibits absorption of vitamins and minerals. Grains and legumes absolutely contain these, but luckily cooking, sprouting, or fermenting are similarly good at destroying many of these molecules. Also, the other side of this is that vegans tend to eat more iron than omnis to begin with, so it's not actually a danger to the overall nutrient density of your diet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4684
Location: United States of New England
geez them paleos sure do have a strong anti-bean agenda.

how do people survive with no hummus in their life??????

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2274
Location: UK
annak wrote:


When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase

This made me giggle!

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 4881
Location: A New England
jogirl wrote:
annak wrote:


When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase

This made me giggle!
It's the next big thing!

_________________
You can always politely suggest a ham alternative. ~ vijita
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 359
Location: London, UK
Tofulish wrote:
I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?


personally I read 'anti-nutrient' and assumed it must be some sort of nutrient with the same mass a regular one but with the opposite charge and that is subject to rapid decay.

_________________
"Gee, that's interesting. I guess you can be intellectually gifted and still be morally bankrupt." - Daria Morgendorffer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 1036
It dawned on me just today (because I am slow) that this whole paleo business is probably a campaign brought about by Big Ag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1850
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
Badgermog wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?


personally I read 'anti-nutrient' and assumed it must be some sort of nutrient with the same mass a regular one but with the opposite charge and that is subject to rapid decay.


I nearly snorted soda through my nose. Science jokes are the best jokes.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: santa cruz!
The other day one of my students was going on and on about how she hasn't been eating any grains or beans or root vegetables, or "even fruit" because it's all so heavy and she feels so great, and so on. I'm happy for her that she's feeling good, but is she really trying to convince me that strawberries are heavier than a big plate of meat?!! And I'm not super vocal about it, but all my students know I'm vegan, so it seemed extra insensitive. It was just so weird and annoying.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 359
Location: London, UK
Shy Mox wrote:
Badgermog wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?


personally I read 'anti-nutrient' and assumed it must be some sort of nutrient with the same mass a regular one but with the opposite charge and that is subject to rapid decay.


I nearly snorted soda through my nose. Science jokes are the best jokes.


I know right??! I have just started a science based degree and so I am finding this type of humour far more amusing than it should be. Is there a thread for this crepe? There should be...

_________________
"Gee, that's interesting. I guess you can be intellectually gifted and still be morally bankrupt." - Daria Morgendorffer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 pm
Posts: 719
Location: Indiana
According to Paleo...

Beans (including soy) = Lectins = badbadbad

Nevermind all of the nasty fat and cholesterol in all that meat they're eating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
Alaina wrote:
I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?

Oh my god. The idea of drinking 6 glasses of milk is making me feel barfy.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4684
Location: United States of New England
i thought that dairy was not paleo?

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am
Posts: 728
Location: Toronto
kilgore trout wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?

Oh my god. The idea of drinking 6 glasses of milk is making me feel barfy.


He's not paleo, but I know a guy who goes through several bags of milk a day (1 bag is approx 1.3 litres). We have a class together, and basically every class he shows up with a big glass, a bag, and the appropriate plastic container to hold the bag in, and goes through the entire thing over the course of the lecture. It's kinda scary! He argues that it's the most cost efficient source of calories on a student budget, but I am unconvinced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 5883
In university and still sucking on a mother's teat (basically)? What a catch.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am
Posts: 4684
Location: United States of New England
Tea wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?

Oh my god. The idea of drinking 6 glasses of milk is making me feel barfy.


He's not paleo, but I know a guy who goes through several bags of milk a day (1 bag is approx 1.3 litres). We have a class together, and basically every class he shows up with a big glass, a bag, and the appropriate plastic container to hold the bag in, and goes through the entire thing over the course of the lecture. It's kinda scary! He argues that it's the most cost efficient source of calories on a student budget, but I am unconvinced.


pretty sure that is cheap beer ;-)

_________________
Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.~~Moon

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2027
Location: Austin, TX
ameyfm wrote:
The other day one of my students was going on and on about how she hasn't been eating any grains or beans or root vegetables, or "even fruit" because it's all so heavy and she feels so great, and so on. I'm happy for her that she's feeling good, but is she really trying to convince me that strawberries are heavier than a big plate of meat?!! And I'm not super vocal about it, but all my students know I'm vegan, so it seemed extra insensitive. It was just so weird and annoying.

That is ridiculous! I feel really light after some wine and ice cream but I would prescribe it!

_________________
blarg Lazy Smurf's Guide to Life
twitter @veganLazySmurf
Pinterest


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 10647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 426  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blondiefk, ComradeSquirrel, Fleurdenoir, jordanpattern, vijita and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer