| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:02 am 
And you never will.

ashley wrote:
We ended up buying the Clif bars (I won!) and today he ate one and declared it "fantastic." And then tried to lecture me on how it wasn't vegan because of the "may contain traces of milk" warning on the package.

He was probably trying to convince himself it wasn't vegan because he didn't want to admit that he liked something that was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Flounceiad 2011

mollyjade wrote:
Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.
Plus they were religious fundamentalists, so that shiitake (along with genocide and imperialism) is divinely ordained!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:57 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Desdemona wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
Y'all, if the Pilgrims had been vegan, we wouldn't have turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving. If that's not a solid reason for factory farming, I don't know what is.
Plus they were religious fundamentalists, so that shiitake (along with genocide and imperialism) is divinely ordained!

Also, if the world were vegan, the Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bulls wouldn't exist. These are serious issues that vegans don't think about enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:37 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My vegan pet peeve of the day is forking rude hipster vegans. There must be nice, friendly, down to earth vegans in this city, but I have managed to meet all the crassholes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:55 am 
Semen Strong

Apparently beans and legume s contain "anti nutrients" so they are only to be eaten by adults, sprouted and in Small amounts. This paleo garbage brought to you by an IIN graduate.

I cld argue but the stupid is too strong. The mom s group I am in has so many Paleo and WAPF people. They are all so nice but they take the nutritional advice of those groups with no criticism

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Tofulish wrote:
Apparently beans and legume s contain "anti nutrients" so they are only to be eaten by adults, sprouted and in Small amounts. This paleo garbage brought to you by an IIN graduate.

I cld argue but the stupid is too strong. The mom s group I am in has so many Paleo and WAPF people. They are all so nice but they take the nutritional advice of those groups with no criticism

You could just remind them that in the exact same sense of the word calcium is an "anti-nutrient" because it interferes with iron absorption. Then just let them chase their tails trying to figure out how to rationalize their milk consumption.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

I don't think paleo people generally eat any dairy.

When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase, it seemed like raw vegan ingredients were pretty much the intersection of our diets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am 
Semen Strong

I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:39 am 
***LIES!!!***

Anti-nutrient usually means something that inhibits absorption of vitamins and minerals. Grains and legumes absolutely contain these, but luckily cooking, sprouting, or fermenting are similarly good at destroying many of these molecules. Also, the other side of this is that vegans tend to eat more iron than omnis to begin with, so it's not actually a danger to the overall nutrient density of your diet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

geez them paleos sure do have a strong anti-bean agenda.

how do people survive with no hummus in their life??????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

annak wrote:

When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase

This made me giggle!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am 
Flounceiad 2011

jogirl wrote:
annak wrote:

When my sister was in her paleo-except-for-makers-mark phase

This made me giggle!
It's the next big thing!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
I've never heard the word "anti-nutrient" before. Does it mean substance that inhibits the adsorption of other nutrients (like calcium and iron) or actual toxins?

personally I read 'anti-nutrient' and assumed it must be some sort of nutrient with the same mass a regular one but with the opposite charge and that is subject to rapid decay.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

It dawned on me just today (because I am slow) that this whole paleo business is probably a campaign brought about by Big Ag.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Badgermog wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

personally I read 'anti-nutrient' and assumed it must be some sort of nutrient with the same mass a regular one but with the opposite charge and that is subject to rapid decay.

I nearly snorted soda through my nose. Science jokes are the best jokes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The other day one of my students was going on and on about how she hasn't been eating any grains or beans or root vegetables, or "even fruit" because it's all so heavy and she feels so great, and so on. I'm happy for her that she's feeling good, but is she really trying to convince me that strawberries are heavier than a big plate of meat?!! And I'm not super vocal about it, but all my students know I'm vegan, so it seemed extra insensitive. It was just so weird and annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:47 am 

Shy Mox wrote:
Badgermog wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I nearly snorted soda through my nose. Science jokes are the best jokes.

I know right??! I have just started a science based degree and so I am finding this type of humour far more amusing than it should be. Is there a thread for this crepe? There should be...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 am 

I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

According to Paleo...

Beans (including soy) = Lectins = badbadbad

Nevermind all of the nasty fat and cholesterol in all that meat they're eating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Alaina wrote:
I know a paleo who drinks 6 glasses of milk for breakfast every day. Cause I guess back in the day cavemen used to chase down a lactating cow every morning and guzzle from the udder like crazy?

Oh my god. The idea of drinking 6 glasses of milk is making me feel barfy.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:43 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i thought that dairy was not paleo?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Inflexitarian

kilgore trout wrote:
Alaina wrote:

He's not paleo, but I know a guy who goes through several bags of milk a day (1 bag is approx 1.3 litres). We have a class together, and basically every class he shows up with a big glass, a bag, and the appropriate plastic container to hold the bag in, and goes through the entire thing over the course of the lecture. It's kinda scary! He argues that it's the most cost efficient source of calories on a student budget, but I am unconvinced.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

In university and still sucking on a mother's teat (basically)? What a catch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Tea wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
Alaina wrote:

He's not paleo, but I know a guy who goes through several bags of milk a day (1 bag is approx 1.3 litres). We have a class together, and basically every class he shows up with a big glass, a bag, and the appropriate plastic container to hold the bag in, and goes through the entire thing over the course of the lecture. It's kinda scary! He argues that it's the most cost efficient source of calories on a student budget, but I am unconvinced.

pretty sure that is cheap beer ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ameyfm wrote:
The other day one of my students was going on and on about how she hasn't been eating any grains or beans or root vegetables, or "even fruit" because it's all so heavy and she feels so great, and so on. I'm happy for her that she's feeling good, but is she really trying to convince me that strawberries are heavier than a big plate of meat?!! And I'm not super vocal about it, but all my students know I'm vegan, so it seemed extra insensitive. It was just so weird and annoying.

That is ridiculous! I feel really light after some wine and ice cream but I would prescribe it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 505  Next