| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 474  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:25 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

When I went vegetarian it seemed like I had to defend my decision to everyone. After explaining, the usual response was "Well, okay I guess... As long as you don't go vegan!"

Eh, what? Would the lack of dairy and eggs in my diet offend you?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yes, it would OFFEND THEM GREATLY. Because other people care so much about what we put into out bodies, they just could not possibly tolerate you deciding what to eat and what not to eat.

Ugh. I still can not understand what drives people to care so much about others choosing not to eat animal products. It's not affecting them.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Flying Apron Bakery is, literally, a block up from where I work, so I go there pretty frequently.
I LOVE their scones, and they serve Stumptown coffee.

But they have dairy milk for oatmeal and lattes. Right on their forking sign they say "Seattle's Gluten-Free and Vegan Bakery."
It makes me really forking angry. Especially since they occasionally use honey. I just...I love their stuff. And it's really good since I'm avoiding processed sugar, too. But I can't handle giving my money to a business that gloats its veganity, but has dairy milk on the premises.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i just spent the weekend in the hamptons with a friend. she's very sweet, esp the part where she invites me to stay with her in the freakin' hamptons. but i ran into A LOT of little vegan pet peeves. one of the things was placing orders at restaurants-- i prefer asking about what's in the order rather than immediately telling my server, "I'M VEGAN I CAN'T HAVE ANIMAL PRODUCTS." it just seems like a bit of personal info that i don't like to dish out unless it's necessary. my friend and i were splitting a toasted bagel at a cafe one morning and she tells the guy at the counter, "and i'd like cream cheese on the side because she's vegan and she can't have cream cheese!" ok, thanks for advertising my ethical decisions to the world...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

it's also really annoying when you're eating out and everyone gets crepe with dead animals in it and then they're all like, "can i try what you're eating?" and you feel obligated to let everyone have a bite of your avocado roll and then they're like, "oh, i wish you could try some of mine. it's so good"

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

and it also bugs me eating out a bunch on vacation w/ omnis because inevitably i get less food w/ less calories because of leaving stuff out of orders to make it vegan or getting the salad (which is fine i guess because there's other things to enjoy while on vacation) but then it's tough because it's like i'm hungry all the time and everyone else is like, "didn't you just eat?" and i'm thinking, "yeah, and y'all had half my avocado roll." ::sigh:: /rant

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

chouettes crêpes wrote:
it's also really annoying when you're eating out and everyone gets crepe with dead animals in it and then they're all like, "can i try what you're eating?" and you feel obligated to let everyone have a bite of your avocado roll and then they're like, "oh, i wish you could try some of mine. it's so good"

I get kind of annoyed at things with kids because invariably I go to meetings like this: mine starts acting up out of hunger, and I've packed a couple snacks. I open a bag of something and then another hungry 1-year-old wanders over so I offer some (with permission of that kid's parent) and end up feeding half of her snack to another kid. Soon enough my daughter's out of snacks and only then does the other parent bring out goldfish crackers or something similarly nonvegan to offer their kid. Thanks. Meanwhile mine is still kinda hungry and now I have to police her eating.

I've started taking like 3x the snacks I think I'll need, but sometimes what I think will be a <1 hour thing turns into a several hour meeting, so it's tough.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

chouettes crêpes wrote:
and it also bugs me eating out a bunch on vacation w/ omnis because inevitably i get less food w/ less calories because of leaving stuff out of orders to make it vegan or getting the salad (which is fine i guess because there's other things to enjoy while on vacation) but then it's tough because it's like i'm hungry all the time and everyone else is like, "didn't you just eat?" and i'm thinking, "yeah, and y'all had half my avocado roll." ::sigh:: /rant

And let's not even get started on the fact that you ordered the steak/chicken/fish salad, hold steak/chicken/fish, and still have to pay for full price. Hungry and unnecessarily light in the pocket. Pooh.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

emmalv wrote:
And let's not even get started on the fact that you ordered the steak/chicken/fish salad, hold steak/chicken/fish, and still have to pay for full price. Hungry and unnecessarily light in the pocket. Pooh.
I've learnt that saying asking for X instead of Y is always preferable to just asking for a meal without Y.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

chouettes crêpes wrote:

Dude, this is my life when I go out to eat with people. My guy is still learning that what I eat vs what he eats in restaurants is calorically very different. We went out for sushi last week and I ate 3 veggie rolls (so good) and he just had, like, fried crab or something, and when I was hungry 2 hours later, he's like, 'But! We just ate!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, guy, I had rice and vegetables. Think about that.' I mean, he's not a turd about it, but it's funny to me that people don't realize that your meal is way lighter than theirs, even if maybe it's the same size or whatever.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My lip balm went moldy :(

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh gross! I've never heard of that.

The other day my bagel had mold that I couldn't see anywhere, but could taste. :( I was a very sad, hungry panda.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

allularpunk wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:

Dude, this is my life when I go out to eat with people. My guy is still learning that what I eat vs what he eats in restaurants is calorically very different. We went out for sushi last week and I ate 3 veggie rolls (so good) and he just had, like, fried crab or something, and when I was hungry 2 hours later, he's like, 'But! We just ate!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, guy, I had rice and vegetables. Think about that.' I mean, he's not a turd about it, but it's funny to me that people don't realize that your meal is way lighter than theirs, even if maybe it's the same size or whatever.

This shiitake drives me crazy. The other day we had a taco bar at work, and there was a big salad. My first plate was mostly salad with a little bit of beans and a couple of tortillas on the side. I went back for more salad, and my co-worker was all "whoa, going back for seconds?!"

1. It's almost never appropriate to comment on the amount of food someone is eating, and
2. It's salad, so shut the fork up!! You're eating meat tacos filled with cheese and sour cream, so it's not the same.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My vegan meal at the work thing two weeks ago was some vegetables in what I suspect was a jarred sauce, and rice. I was hoping for some chickpeas underneath but no dice. The omni selection was a huge buffet with two meat and loads of sides, plus a nice selection of desserts.

My peeve, though, is that the event was to include three meals: lunch when we arrived, dinner that evening and breakfast the next day. When I got to the lunch there was a pizza and salad buffet so I asked one of the servers if there was a meal for me. She called the head guy over and he looked confused and said he wasn't told there was supposed to be a vegan meal for lunch. I said that I had indicated when I rsvp'd the invitation that my special dietary request was "vegan" and he said, Oh yes, we have a vegan dinner for you tonight. Maybe he thinks vegans only eat one meal a day?

So they made me a non-cheese pizza for lunch that was actually quite good - roasted peppers and mushrooms. Breakfast the next morning was mounds of scrambled eggs, bacon, and pastries, plus juice. Again, confusion about my food but a very nice server went in back and got me some of those little boxes of cereal. No non-dairy milk - luckily I had brought my own.

I hate to think how much my ~ 600 calories of food cost my employer. I discussed it with the organizer so hopefully the feedback will get back to them, and next time I will make sure beforehand that I am extra clear on my food needs (though I didn't think I need to tell them I eat lunch and breakfast too).

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Gulliver wrote:
emmalv wrote:
I've learnt that saying asking for X instead of Y is always preferable to just asking for a meal without Y.

Yeah if I see there are beans on other things on the menu I'll explore that option as a sub, but most of the time if in the situation where the only edible thing is a salad sans meat, the place doesnt have beans or tofu. Once I asked for extra veggies instead of cheese and was told I'd be charged extra. (I'm pretty sure I bitched about that in this forum already.)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

annak wrote:
Oh gross! I've never heard of that.

The other day my bagel had mold that I couldn't see anywhere, but could taste. :( I was a very sad, hungry panda.

Super gross. And it was in the middle hole part so I couldn't even cut the moldy part off. Maybe it's unfair to blame the veganism of the product, but I'm going to do that anyway. Just seems like something that only happens to all-natural/vegan/hippie stuff

Condolences re: bagel.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Arisaig that sucks. Isn't funny how we always feel the worst for the organizers when these things happen? They're overpaying, they're (sometimes) totally embarrassed about it, which sucks. Plus I always worry that it makes veganism look bad.

So I have that dinner cruise tonight. Cocoa almonds and builder's bar ready to go in my purse!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

not finding otc vegan meds...herbs it is!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:04 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

chouettes crêpes wrote:
i prefer asking about what's in the order rather than immediately telling my server, "I'M VEGAN I CAN'T HAVE ANIMAL PRODUCTS." it just seems like a bit of personal info that i don't like to dish out unless it's necessary. my friend and i were splitting a toasted bagel at a cafe one morning and she tells the guy at the counter, "and i'd like cream cheese on the side because she's vegan and she can't have cream cheese!" ok, thanks for advertising my ethical decisions to the world...

I have a friend that does this and it's sooo annoying!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:37 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I just don't like it when people say that I "can't" have animal products. I "can" have whatever I want to! I don't eat animal products by choice. "Can't" sounds to me like I've been involuntarily deprived of something I would eat if I could. I'm not deprived at all and I could eat animals if I chose to (and I don't choose to)!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

stellamarie wrote:
I just don't like it when people say that I "can't" have animal products. I "can" have whatever I want to! I don't eat animal products by choice. "Can't" sounds to me like I've been involuntarily deprived of something I would eat if I could. I'm not deprived at all and I could eat animals if I chose to (and I don't choose to)!

I feel the exact same way! It's like everyone expects me to feel so deprived by my sad vegan diet, when most of the time, whenever I'm eating looks 10x better than theirs.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 am 
Cranky

This comes up a lot. I say can't. It's easier, and honestly, I get sick when I eat non-vegan things, so it's true. Also, saying "I won't" or "I don't" sounds more like a judgment to me. Your mileage may vary on that one, of course, but that's how I feel.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i say can't, also, particularly in restaurants because I hope that makes it sound like an allergy that they should take seriously, but it's i'm not straight up lying and saying i'm allergic. whenever I say that I don't or won't eat something, certain people take that as an invitation to get me to "just try a bite" or try something "just this once."

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Yeah, I prefer "can't" as well. "Won't" just sounds like I'm being picky. I don't take "can't" to mean that "I'm physically unable to" but rather as shorthand for "I can't eat something within the framework of my ethics/beliefs".

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:06 am 
Flounceiad 2011

lepelaar wrote:
Yeah, I prefer "can't" as well. "Won't" just sounds like I'm being picky.
I also say "can't" precisely because it leaves the door open to various interpretations. Maybe I'm vegan, maybe I'm violently allergic, maybe I have some sort of spiritual prohibition, maybe I'm on some crazy diet I heard Dr Oz talking about on the idiot box, maybe it's something completely different. Ultimately it's none of their business; my concern is that I don't get served animal products, and "can't" seems more likely that "don't" or "won't" to keep that from happening.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11832 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 474  Next