| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 546  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
lostgirl12 wrote:
Korisnory wrote:
Just had a conversation with someone who believes that vegan = cure all miracle diet. I hate conversations like this because it’s not true, not everyone has some magical healing experience after becoming vegan and you’re giving people unrealistic expectations! I’ve met plenty of people like this before but this particular conversation was the most frustrating because she basically told me that if I still have to be on medication after becoming vegan I must be doing something wrong because food IS the best medicine and because when she went vegan she was able to get off all her medication so if my experience isn’t the same I must be screwing up somehow. ): Sorry for the rant but when people claim things like that and act like I'm not a real vegan because I have to take medication it really peas me off.


I hate this. So, so much. Especially since I am seeing more and more of it among the vegan blogging community. There are a few highly influential, popular vegan celeb bloggers out there that constantly make this claim. I find it extremely irresponsible and misleading.


Yep. I really need to unfollow HH on my facebook, but sometimes I think that I just like to be annoyed.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:22 am
Posts: 691
Location: Midlands, UK
All the vegan books at the library are CONSTANTLY on loan. I'm sure the vegans in my city must be library addicts or something. I haven't got the budget at the moment for new books so library it is, but although they're listed on the website, they're constantly on loan. Booooo.

_________________
blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1506
Location: Berlin
allularpunk wrote:
lostgirl12 wrote:
Korisnory wrote:
Just had a conversation with someone who believes that vegan = cure all miracle diet. I hate conversations like this because it’s not true, not everyone has some magical healing experience after becoming vegan and you’re giving people unrealistic expectations! I’ve met plenty of people like this before but this particular conversation was the most frustrating because she basically told me that if I still have to be on medication after becoming vegan I must be doing something wrong because food IS the best medicine and because when she went vegan she was able to get off all her medication so if my experience isn’t the same I must be screwing up somehow. ): Sorry for the rant but when people claim things like that and act like I'm not a real vegan because I have to take medication it really peas me off.


I hate this. So, so much. Especially since I am seeing more and more of it among the vegan blogging community. There are a few highly influential, popular vegan celeb bloggers out there that constantly make this claim. I find it extremely irresponsible and misleading.


Yep. I really need to unfollow HH on my facebook, but sometimes I think that I just like to be annoyed.


so do i. i read it daily and get angry all the time.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com


ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 am
Posts: 496
I became vegan and now I can leap tall buildings in a single bound and see through walls... Does that not happen to everyone? Bummer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 am 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm
Posts: 3315
Location: The Bene
I haven't tried because I'm too busy trying to hike up my saggy butt.

_________________
Ain't no guarantees in life, and nothing that comes out of my vagina can change that. - Erika Soyf*cker

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:33 am 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1607
Location: santa cruz!
Yeah, between being vegan, and being a yoga teacher, I get this from all angles. You would think that I would be able to resist all disease, all forms of negativity, and rise above humanity into an ethereal realm of glory. Sadly, I am still waiting.

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Oregon
kilgore trout wrote:
Korisnory wrote:
Just had a conversation with someone who believes that vegan = cure all miracle diet. I hate conversations like this because it’s not true, not everyone has some magical healing experience after becoming vegan and you’re giving people unrealistic expectations! I’ve met plenty of people like this before but this particular conversation was the most frustrating because she basically told me that if I still have to be on medication after becoming vegan I must be doing something wrong because food IS the best medicine and because when she went vegan she was able to get off all her medication so if my experience isn’t the same I must be screwing up somehow. ): Sorry for the rant but when people claim things like that and act like I'm not a real vegan because I have to take medication it really peas me off.

I hate this too. Now and again I see pictures circling around tumblr saying that fresh fruits and vegetables should be your medicine and I think that's really shitty and dismissive of people who, you know, have medical problems.


Exactly! I had to unfollow about a dozen people on instagram because I'm just sick of seeing that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:24 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1506
Location: Berlin
Grrr, I'm so angry with myself. I bought detox + 10 day something something plan off happy herbivore. its just her recipes that are the same as the in her cookbooks and a lot of non-science woo. Why did I fall for this?

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com


ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Oregon
lostgirl12 wrote:

I hate this. So, so much. Especially since I am seeing more and more of it among the vegan blogging community. There are a few highly influential, popular vegan celeb bloggers out there that constantly make this claim. I find it extremely irresponsible and misleading.


Completely agree! This person went on to say that by eating the right things you're basically immune to all kinds of cancers and can ever cure it. I can't even....ughghh!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 pm
Posts: 297
Location: NY
Korisnory wrote:
Just had a conversation with someone who believes that vegan = cure all miracle diet. I hate conversations like this because it’s not true, not everyone has some magical healing experience after becoming vegan and you’re giving people unrealistic expectations! I’ve met plenty of people like this before but this particular conversation was the most frustrating because she basically told me that if I still have to be on medication after becoming vegan I must be doing something wrong because food IS the best medicine and because when she went vegan she was able to get off all her medication so if my experience isn’t the same I must be screwing up somehow. ): Sorry for the rant but when people claim things like that and act like I'm not a real vegan because I have to take medication it really peas me off.



Thank you for this. One of the most common questions I get is, "Have you noticed any changes in your health since becoming a vegan?" And obviously there are some major health benefits to eating this way. I went down this path because of the prevention/health promotion aspect. But I don't think I've noticed anything different. I didn't consider myself "unhealthy" to begin with. Maybe I'm just overanalyzing things, but it does make me feel fake because I haven't noticed anything "good" in particular about myself, and it's like I don't want to represent veganism in a bad light or anything. Because when you're the lone vegan among many omnis, I've found that people do see you as the representative of veganism. I'm having an off day and am probably a little extra emotional because of it, but thinking about this made me feel "less than" again.

_________________
When people ask about my plans for after graduation: "PhD in knitting blanket forts, bisque!" -Mars


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1506
Location: Berlin
Mhm, I did feel better after cutting out dairy (and I was vegetarian before that) but not when I also cut out eggs & honey. And everyone is always surprised Im vegan so long because I'm fat.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com


ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Oregon
I’m sorry you’re having an off day sweet potato, I understand though. I think the people that experience all those amazing changes when they become vegan are probably the minority even though it doesn’t feel that way. I have a lot of health problems and it’s very obvious when you look at me (rosacea, eczema, plus I’m kinda chubby) and sometimes I feel embarrassed about telling people I’m vegan because I feel like a bad representation of the vegan community but I try not to let it bother me too much anymore, but it is hard sometimes. *hugs*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:30 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am
Posts: 671
Location: Sweden
I've never been asked about health benefits when people find out I eat vegan. Rather the opposite, a lot of people wonder how I get everything I need from a vegan diet. I think the dominating vegan stereotype here is still a pale and skinny teenager.

_________________
I tend to hook up with people who give me chocolate, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing./tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
Yeah, the stereotype here is the same, amonik. People always tell me I look healthy for a vegan.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
My roseacea did improve some after going vegan, but that's probably because dairy was one of my triggers and I removed it, which isn't specifically related to going vegan. (And roseacea is never cured) If you have an ailment that is caused by something in your diet, then removing it will cure it, assuming that the cure is that simple, and it probably is that simple for as many people as it isn't. The bottom line is That depending on what your health issues are changing your diet may cure or improve them, or may do nothing on all. Because health and treatment aren't that black and white.
I could see how someone who lived on McDonalds could go vegan with that change to cooking for themselves and not eating tons of crappy food, feel tons better and associated it with that. But they could also probably achieve similar results if they traded their daily bigmac for a grilled chicken salad. But people don't realize that because they don't associate the change that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm 
Offline
Brain Made of Raw Seitan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Posts: 1212
Location: Under a bridge
Whenever people ask me what health improvements I've seen as a result of becoming vegan, I tell them that I poop more often. Which is true! Beans have a lot of fiber. If they have a sense of humor they laugh and if they don't they shut up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm 
Offline
Dying from Nooch Lung

Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm
Posts: 3301
Location: Ireland
I poop less and I'm more solid. I also fart less.

On another note it has made an amazing difference to my asthma because I'm fairly darn lactose intolerant.

I also don't get 3pm slumps anymore.

_________________
Meowchickameow meow! - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:22 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 2:10 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
A huge Teacher Appreciation potluck at my work provided by the parents...there were two things I could eat, luckily I brought my lunch and there were some dark chocolate Godiva truffles I could eat for dessert. I've just been craving good desserts this week so it sucked to be faced with white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, carrot cake, pound cake, etc. I'm only on week 3 of being vegan so "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"...oh well. Going to go home and make vegan almond joys tonight!

_________________
The taste of anything in my mouth for five seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life. (Source)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 889
Location: Montreal
amonik wrote:
I've never been asked about health benefits when people find out I eat vegan. Rather the opposite, a lot of people wonder how I get everything I need from a vegan diet. I think the dominating vegan stereotype here is still a pale and skinny teenager.


yeah, that. all the time!

_________________
~SARAH~

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I poop more now that I think about it. I like pooping more. I feel less clogged up. I also don't throw up while having diarrhea at the same time on account of eating too much ricotta cheese anymore, like if I had stuffed shells. And then wake up with pustules on my face the next day. I should remember to tell people that when they ask how I manage to not miss cheese.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5349
Location: Gallifrey
amonik wrote:
I've never been asked about health benefits when people find out I eat vegan. Rather the opposite, a lot of people wonder how I get everything I need from a vegan diet. I think the dominating vegan stereotype here is still a pale and skinny teenager.

That is the perception of vegan from most people/omnivores. The perception of vegans is different for people who are obsessed with odd health cliques and whatnot.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
vegancatlady wrote:
A huge Teacher Appreciation potluck at my work provided by the parents...there were two things I could eat, luckily I brought my lunch and there were some dark chocolate Godiva truffles I could eat for dessert. I've just been craving good desserts this week so it sucked to be faced with white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, carrot cake, pound cake, etc. I'm only on week 3 of being vegan so "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"...oh well. Going to go home and make vegan almond joys tonight!

Aww, always bums me out when that happens. It's staff appreciation week where I work (after school program) too, and a lot of the parents made goodies for us that I can't eat. There were ice cream cupcakes! And marbled quickbread of some kind!

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3750
Location: Bella Napoli
I didn't think about it until watching "Pink Ribbons, Inc," but one of the stage 4 cancer support group members makes an excellent point that claims that dietary changes will cure you skirt a thin line and often cross into victim blaming. Because it's still very much possible to eat tons of vegetables, eat low-fat, not drink, not smoke, etc etc etc and get cancer. But either way, telling people that if only they'd eat more of this or less of that they would be magically cured is pretty close to telling them that their personal habits caused their cancer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 170
Location: UK
Cgvegan wrote:
I became vegan and now I can leap tall buildings in a single bound and see through walls... Does that not happen to everyone? Bummer.


I gave up dairy and grew wings. Envious? You should be. *smug*

(I also sparkle in direct sunlight, but I think that's due to a vampie bite)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 695
Location: ontario
daisychain wrote:
I poop less and I'm more solid. I also fart less.

you're doing it wrong.

_________________
everything stays the same, only more so.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211 ... 546  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bsd, Exabot [Bot], FootFace, supercarrot and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer