| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

biorobotics wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I poop less and I'm more solid. I also fart less.

you're doing it wrong.

this was exactly what i thought when i read this!!! fart less, whaaaaaat?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
I didn't think about it until watching "Pink Ribbons, Inc," but one of the stage 4 cancer support group members makes an excellent point that claims that dietary changes will cure you skirt a thin line and often cross into victim blaming. Because it's still very much possible to eat tons of vegetables, eat low-fat, not drink, not smoke, etc etc etc and get cancer. But either way, telling people that if only they'd eat more of this or less of that they would be magically cured is pretty close to telling them that their personal habits caused their cancer.

Quoted for truth.

When my ex's Dad had a glioblastoma, that ended up killing him, even the Drs kept asking him "well, what do you think you did to cause this?" Um its a brain tumor, and there is no connection whatsoever to his lifestyle.

And the same holds true of breastfeeding - yes it might cut down on risks of getting breast cancer, but chances are you didn't get cancer because you didn't breastfeed.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There is this new food stand at our farmers' market this year that irritates me a lot. They use great, fresh stuff from their farm and the menu is different week to week. Typically, either one or both things they are offering look super easy to make vegan (e.g. dosas with potato leek filling) but there is always always always some kind of cheese/yogurt/honey something in the mix. Which, whatever, leave it off right? Except they cook everything on a griddle with stupid ghee. Ghee! And it's run by this group of very affected nouveau hippie kids who weave feathers into their beards and spontaneously break into song and shiitake. Which I might find less annoying if I could eat their stupid food.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Have you mentioned this to them? Businesses might not know they're losing customers.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yup. I don't think they care too much. They do a great business and there's a big contingent here who would rather eat a local duck egg or some ghee than something abominable like canola oil or whatever. They fill that niche. And there's an all vegan stand (Supreme Master type place) so I think a lot of the other vendors don't feel like they need to be accommodating.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:40 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

we are invited to a bbq in a few weeks and the only way i'd have something to eat there is if i make stuff. sometimes, when it's a bbq where you'll be the only vegan or vegetarian it just seems like way too much effort try to make soemthing that 1. you can eat and 2. will make vegan food look good. So, since it's mostly my husband's friends, not really mine, i'm just opting out. I don't feel like being a super vegan advocate all the time, especially when I know it will have no impact on any one and people will probably just ask me questions and or feel sorry for me. So, it's not really a peeve because I'm the one opting out. I just don't want to have to work hard just to eat food sometimes. I'm actually sort of glad to have a reason not to go because i probably wouldn't know too many people either and I won't have to be around a meat fest, which I am always willing to put up with, but would rather not.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:52 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

So I've been burnt out lately at my job, and in trying to talk to my boss about it, his first concern is that I am not eating enough 'chicken, fish, eggs- foods of substance.' Like if only I eat some drumsticks, the fact that no one who works with me bothers to show up and/or do their jobs, and that because of this I am working soul-crushing hours, it will all go away and stop being a problem. Especially because everyone else here lives incredibly unhealthy lifestyles and misses work all the time due to 'illness', and I have called in sick twice in seven years, it made so angry that somehow my diet/health is part of the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

vixki wrote:
All the vegan books at the library are CONSTANTLY on loan. I'm sure the vegans in my city must be library addicts or something. I haven't got the budget at the moment for new books so library it is, but although they're listed on the website, they're constantly on loan. Booooo.

You know you can request them though? I am probably guilty of hoarding books people want to borrow, since I work for the Libraries service and one of the very few perks of the job is that we get to borrow double the normal amount of books, and it's really easy for me to renew my books because I work with that system anyway. However, if someone puts in a request that means other people can't renew it for longer than an extra 2 days.

I think I read a while back that you're in the same city as me? If you're after anything in particular you should contact our Reader Development Services manager. He's really snowed under so he'll take a while to get to it, but I suggested Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Appetite for Reduction to be bought for stock recently and he got them both in!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just don't want to have to work hard just to eat food sometimes.

This is how I feel about 90% of family gatherings. It's so much work trying not to be left out that it's hard to focus on just hanging out and enjoying each other's company. I always want to make something that everyone will really enjoy, but at this point, I think I'd rather just keep it simple, because half of them skip over the vegan dish anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:27 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

annak wrote:
I didn't think about it until watching "Pink Ribbons, Inc," but one of the stage 4 cancer support group members makes an excellent point that claims that dietary changes will cure you skirt a thin line and often cross into victim blaming. Because it's still very much possible to eat tons of vegetables, eat low-fat, not drink, not smoke, etc etc etc and get cancer.

I was vegan for two years when I got cancer (and vegetarian since the 80s). Always exercised. I sometimes feel like a vegan failure for even getting breast cancer to begin with. But mostly I'm over that. But still, yeah.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Mr. Shankly wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
My pet peeve is now the lack of vegan Swiss rolls in my life. Thanks guys.

This! Seeing all of the Entenmann's, Little Debbie, Hostess and whatnot boxes drive me nuts. I just want to eat cheap, mainstream vegan junk food! I really don't want to eat $5 quinoa cookies! And I know we've talked about it before in other threads but I want cheapo $2 pizzas and easy mac and all of that terrible food for you.

Little Debbie fruit pies are vegan! Even the chocolate pudding ones. They're good in a really (reallyreally) bad way.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

TexTroosers wrote:
So I've been burnt out lately at my job, and in trying to talk to my boss about it, his first concern is that I am not eating enough 'chicken, fish, eggs- foods of substance.' Like if only I eat some drumsticks, the fact that no one who works with me bothers to show up and/or do their jobs, and that because of this I am working soul-crushing hours, it will all go away and stop being a problem. Especially because everyone else here lives incredibly unhealthy lifestyles and misses work all the time due to 'illness', and I have called in sick twice in seven years, it made so angry that somehow my diet/health is part of the problem.

I used to work for this awful, awful woman, right when I went vegan. Didn't make a big deal out of it, but being the event/marketing person, it was pretty obvious when we ate so many meals together.

I hardly EVER get sick, especially now that I am vegan (ancedotal really, no science to back this in case you are wondering) but still, with a lot of travel, I often get the "I'm feeling like I am getting sick, let me rest and take a ton vitimans day off" and I rarely get sick.

Well my total bisque of a boss tried to bitch-block my sick days, since I was not really sick, just 'tired from starving myself' or some other bullshiitake. Whenever I complained I was tired or anything (like after working 2 weeks without a day off) somehow my diet would come up.

Yes, that is totally illegal. I complained. It was the beginning of the end of that job, shiitake got real - real quick. She basically made me miserable enough to quit, which I did.

You diet, what you eat is not your employers business, period. And that shiitake I just talked about was not even the worst from her. Ugh. SO glad I quit that job...right in the middle of a recession. Took me forever to find something else. Worth it though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:05 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Queen Couscous wrote:

Little Debbie fruit pies are vegan! Even the chocolate pudding ones. They're good in a really (reallyreally) bad way.

So where does one find these? I never see them in the markets!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

dropscone wrote:
vixki wrote:
All the vegan books at the library are CONSTANTLY on loan. I'm sure the vegans in my city must be library addicts or something. I haven't got the budget at the moment for new books so library it is, but although they're listed on the website, they're constantly on loan. Booooo.

You know you can request them though? I am probably guilty of hoarding books people want to borrow, since I work for the Libraries service and one of the very few perks of the job is that we get to borrow double the normal amount of books, and it's really easy for me to renew my books because I work with that system anyway. However, if someone puts in a request that means other people can't renew it for longer than an extra 2 days.

I think I read a while back that you're in the same city as me? If you're after anything in particular you should contact our Reader Development Services manager. He's really snowed under so he'll take a while to get to it, but I suggested Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and Appetite for Reduction to be bought for stock recently and he got them both in!

Yeah don't you have to pay to request books though? Or is that just reserving? I moved into the city not long ago so am used to county libraries (read, mobile library with super friendly librarian who'd do anything if you brought him cake!) and there are differences! It's pretty easy to renew online yeah, that's what I tend to do!

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I just got out AFR today actually!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missmuffcake wrote:
Queen Couscous wrote:

So where does one find these? I never see them in the markets!

Convenience store/ gas station minimarts... Aka vegan junk food paradise.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

have y'all seen that Softsoap handsoap soft that says it's, "milk protein and honey"? when i'm at people's houses and about to wash my hands, i'm like, "eww! what is that??", then i just rinse and dry. but what the frack? is there really milk protein and honey in that handsoap? why would anyone want to put that on their hands?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

for moisture...i carry my own hand soap & sanitizer, i am a germaphobe.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Queen Couscous wrote:

They don't sell those anywhere near me. I've look for them in two states and have never seen them. But anyway, yeah I have a thread going about mainstream cheapo vegan food but a lot of it seems hard to find in my area and I really just want it to be as mainstream and cheap as non-vegan food is.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:04 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

vixki wrote:
dropscone wrote:
vixki wrote:

Yeah don't you have to pay to request books though? Or is that just reserving? I moved into the city not long ago so am used to county libraries (read, mobile library with super friendly librarian who'd do anything if you brought him cake!) and there are differences! It's pretty easy to renew online yeah, that's what I tend to do!

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I just got out AFR today actually!

If you live within the city area you don't have to pay to reserve books we already own, and it's the only way to get some very popular books in any reasonable amount of time. You have to pay for inter library loan requests (if we can fulfil them), but where it says something like "can't find what you're looking for? request it" you can state that you don't want to pay for an inter library loan, but you want to suggest that we buy the book because it's good/you think it will be popular/we already have the rest of the series... They (Reader Development) may not go for it, but it's worth a try.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made a book suggestion a couple of years ago to our library and I was very surprised when they ordered it the next week and put me first on the reserve list. They have a certain budget for books and the librarians really want to know what the people who use the library want so they can buy those books.

ILL only costs $1 here -- I got Veganomicon that way for a few weeks since it was so pricey and I wasn't sure if I'd use it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I really get grumpy when people who don't really know the ingredients in things say if it is vegan or not...Somebody said Sriracha was not vegan because it had 'milk or eggs - something like that'...

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I had a chef friend (the same guy who prepared me a lovely little meal on Sunday to go along with what he made for the omnis) totally insist to me the first time I met him that real vegans don't eat yeast. And, I mean, he still thinks that, even though I was pretty emphatic that that is NOT A THING. But apparently he has met vegans where it is a thing? Hey, crazies, we eat yeast! Later I was trying to explain to my guy why I eat yeast (naturally, we were all drinking, so my brain wasn't working properly) and I finally came out with, 'It's not forking sentient!' And for whatever reason, that did the trick, and now I'm not a bad vegan for eating yeast. Who are these vegans who aren't eating yeast because they say it isn't vegan? Why are they doing this to the rest of us?

Also, I totally realize that the sentient thing may or may not hold water.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I bet the no yeast vegans are the same vegans who won't eat vegan carrot cake prepared by a vegetarian because they can't trust it (after being told that it was exact recipe that had been recommended by them and ingredient list) and who then eat chocolate cake at their graduation because it's a "special occasion."

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Perhaps!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So the whole yeast thing doesn't even make sense. Yeast is not an animal (like not scientifically classified as an animal.) Vegans avoid animal products. So why would we avoid yeast?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212 ... 507  Next