| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am 
Grandfathered In

Yeast, being a fungus, is indeed non-sentient.

This is not a gray area.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I know some people who don't eat yeast because of bullshiitake "candida" shiitake...maybe people are confusing quackery with veganism?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:42 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

This one kind of gets me. I know mother's day isn't about me, so I don't make a fuss or say anything about the restaurant choice for that day. I ask my mom a couple times where we're going but she says she doesn't know 3 or 4 times so I was just like, fine, if she chooses some place that has no options for me I guess I just won't eat. It's not about me. The day of they actually wait until we're in the car driving around to finally pick some place we happen to be passing. I'm like suuuper aggravated at this point because we were supposed to leave two hours before so I'm actually hungry. No one asks about a place I can eat, and yet is SUPER SHOCKED when we sit down and place our orders and I get water and nothing else. Sorry? I never said I could eat here? I never claimed I wanted to eat in the first place? If everyone is going to act like it's so outrageous that I don't eat a meal with everyone else, then tell me ahead of time where we're going. I never said doing the spontaneous vegan dining thing in Baton Rouge was easy.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I knew a vegetarian who said that when she was vegan she did not even eat bread - because it was not vegan. I bet it was the yeast nonsense. Bring on the bread bisques!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

FootFace wrote:
Yeast, being a fungus, is indeed non-sentient.

This is not a gray area.

Oh, no, I know yeast isn't sentient. But I know that there was that whole debate about oysters or something a few years back and whether they had nervous systems? And were they sentient? Am I making that up? Anyway, I'm not eating oysters, but I am eating yeast. Lots and lots of yeasty yeast.

Olives wrote:
So the whole yeast thing doesn't even make sense. Yeast is not an animal (like not scientifically classified as an animal.) Vegans avoid animal products. So why would we avoid yeast?

I think that some people legit think that yeast is an animal or something? Maybe we're confusing them all too much with the honey thing and their minds went to mush?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ugh, the yeast thing makes me crazy. I have nearly been denied bread at multiple events because the server/kitchen declared it not vegan based on yeast. It was only because I pressed them on "what is in it that is not vegan?" That I got my damn bread.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I never got the yeast thing from anyone. There's yeast in my vagina. Why would I not eat something that is all over my body and there's nothing I can do about it?
I usually get people thinking that all bread has milk and eggs. Or they ask if I eat bread, and then totally don't understand that I eat bread as long as it doesn't have meat, milk, eggs or honey in it, and keep asking if I eat bread. Because bread isn't comprised of ingredients or something, and either all bread is vegan, or all bread isn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Alaina wrote:
I never got the yeast thing from anyone. There's yeast in my vagina.

And now that is the response I will use when someone tells me it's not vegan to eat yeast.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I never got the yeast thing from anyone. There's yeast in my vagina.

And now that is the response I will use when someone tells me it's not vegan to eat yeast.

I imagine this "Vegans can't eat yeast?" You: "Of course I can! There's yeast in my vagina!"

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

right, but then someone will say, "well, there's meat all over your body." and then if you're me you'll have a nightmarish flashback of dans ma peau and crawl into a closet to cry, and some smart asparagus omni will think he or she just argued you into a literal corner.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm 

Eh. just tell them humans are vegan, other animals aren't. Tell them human babies are delicious.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gosh, you people call yourselves vegans and you eat bread?!!!!!!! Don't you know there are mummy breads out there weeping in sorrow because their little loaves have been taken away for your dining pleasures. Sick crassholes.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

vixki wrote:
All the vegan books at the library are CONSTANTLY on loan. I'm sure the vegans in my city must be library addicts or something. I haven't got the budget at the moment for new books so library it is, but although they're listed on the website, they're constantly on loan. Booooo.

My problem is that I request them through inter library loan, and even though they are not checked out/ have no holds, the libraries they are coming from wait months to send them to mine. I had to wait over 2 months for AFR for no reason.

And I didn't read to see if anyone else suggested this, but doesn't your library have a hold/request system for books that are checked out? The person who has it can't re-check it out, and then the library sets it aside for you. It's pretty much the only way I get to read most of the new books that I am interested in, as I can't afford $30 for a new hardcover book either.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 pm 

I was just asked repeatedly to eat a piece of (not vegan) cake. I kept saying no thanks, cause I didn't want to bring up the V-word, but since they kept going on about it, I say it has dairy and eggs and I don't eat that. And said person said "Oh well I tried". What does that mean? Is it necessary to get vegans to eat non-vegan cake? Who cares if people eat cake or not? Who cares what I eat and why do you have to try to get me to eat things?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

chouettes crêpes wrote:
have y'all seen that Softsoap handsoap soft that says it's, "milk protein and honey"? when i'm at people's houses and about to wash my hands, i'm like, "eww! what is that??", then i just rinse and dry. but what the frack? is there really milk protein and honey in that handsoap? why would anyone want to put that on their hands?

Yes to this! It's like, milk protein and honey? One is hardly necessary, two is just overkill. Next they'll be making "baby cow blood soap" so you can wash your hands away with sin.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think some of the yeast people might be getting all mixed up about bread and gluten free and vegan.

I am going to a conference at a hotel today. I checked "vegetarian" as my meal request - it was nice they at least had that option! Then I called and asked if the entree could be made vegan for me by holding the cheese/butter/eggs/whatnot. The woman on the phone said something about the veg option being grilled or roasted vegetables, so here's hoping I end up with something edible. It might be a peeve later on.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 am 
Saggy Butt

erynne936 wrote:
I think some of the yeast people might be getting all mixed up about bread and gluten free and vegan.

I am going to a conference at a hotel today. I checked "vegetarian" as my meal request - it was nice they at least had that option! Then I called and asked if the entree could be made vegan for me by holding the cheese/butter/eggs/whatnot. The woman on the phone said something about the veg option being grilled or roasted vegetables, so here's hoping I end up with something edible. It might be a peeve later on.

This happened to me recently. I checked the "vegetarian" option for a conference I attended two weeks ago. I got an email saying an Indian buffet would be available to me each day. It was not. I ended up eating salad greens a few days, some days with no dressing as it was dairy based. Two days the salads were filled with cheese and the rest of the items meat. So a bag of pretzels one day and the other I had to leave the conference to find food. I was so mad but really, I knew this would happen going in. I was at a conference with almost 10K people. You would think there would be others there who also do not/could not eat dairy. I guess they figure those folks will just eat the meat. Its just so infuriating.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Conferences can be the worst! At least the conferences I have been going to have been serving fewer meals (likely for economic reasons) which means I get time to leave to eat (with a group to a not vegan friendly restaurant, but at least you can ask for them to make something!)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've griped about this before, but I am super annoyed that this "celiac=vegan...look we have options for you!" is such a thing in omni restaurants. And I've even noticed that vegetarian restaurants are now more concerned with g/f options than they are with vegan stuff. I have had the "no, we can't make it vegan, but it's gluten-free" response too many times to count. My friends and I went for a beer at this super hipster burgers & wings joint that advertise tofu wings (!) with a choice of 37 or something vegan sauces! I asked about the batter for the tofu and the server excitedly told me that it was gluten free, so they needed to add egg as a binder. Same for their veggie burger and falafel. I was surprised (and suspicious) when they said the fries were vegan. But the worst thing is that the vegan community here is angrily freaking out and telling no one to go to this restaurant, when really we could just be asking the owners for options. It sucks not being able to get food when you are hungry, but celiacs have societies and stuff that are getting everyone everywhere to offer options, and a lot of the vegan groups here just tend to yell/sulk (yes I sulked)/or boycott. I think we need to be more vocal, but in a friendly way to let them know we are out here!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am 
WELFARIST!

erynne936 wrote:

Nah, I have repeatedly been asked specifically if yeast is vegan.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:55 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yep. "Yeast is alive, right?"

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

vijita wrote:
I have had the "no, we can't make it vegan, but it's gluten-free" response too many times to count.

I have gotten this to. When asked if something is vegan I have gotten a blank look then they tell me it is gluten free with a smile, um not the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Had to unfollow a FB page for saying Angelina Jolie could have prevented cancer with a vegan diet and exercise.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

i hate that shiitake. i see it all the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

missmuffcake wrote:
vijita wrote:
I have had the "no, we can't make it vegan, but it's gluten-free" response too many times to count.

I have gotten this to. When asked if something is vegan I have gotten a blank look then they tell me it is gluten free with a smile, um not the same thing.

When one of my co-workers first heard that I was vegan, her immediate response was "my niece is gluten-free!" I didn't really know how to respond. "oh..that's...nice?"

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 521  Next