| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 494  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 pm 
Semen Strong

There is a woman in our vegan parenting group who always posts The Most Vegan links ever - sad pictures of cows, long diatribes about milk coming from a grieving mother, and today she posted a long and detailed recipe for chicken in another group.

I am confused. Does she not read her own links? Would you say something privately to her or just ignore?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think it might depend on the originating airport. From Tokyo to Guam, I got a fruit salad with a main entree that was asparagus and other veggies in a red sauce that did not seem problematic at all (other than the wrapped, unlabeled pat of what I assume was butter, but like I said the condiments are usually standard). But on the west coast (!!!) they seem very iffy on reading the definitions they're supposed to be using.

Recently I got the tapas snackbox and I think the olives, hummus, pita chips, tapenade, and cream crackers (!) were OK.. the olive oil crackers (!), dark chocolate blueberries, and cheese spread were NOT VEGAN. You can get the hummus and pita chips a la carte, though. (If you plan ahead you can sometimes buy the Go Picnic boxes in the airport, the sunflower butter and hummus ones are vegan I think. I learned the other day that apparently the company was started by an alumna of my high school, another good reason to support them!)

ETA: Best VGML ever was when my morning snack - I think on a flight to Amsterdam from the east coast, maybe Hartford - was a Now & Zen cinnamon roll. Those days appear to be long gone.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
There is a woman in our vegan parenting group who always posts The Most Vegan links ever - sad pictures of cows, long diatribes about milk coming from a grieving mother, and today she posted a long and detailed recipe for chicken in another group.

I am confused. Does she not read her own links? Would you say something privately to her or just ignore?

Well I find myself veganizing chicken recipes a lot, maybe she makes it vegan?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Out here in the Pacific, United should be good about the vegan entree. I'm not saying it will taste good though! On flights I've been on that are catered in Tokyo or Guam, it's been like plain white rice with equally plain and mushy vegetables. Sometimes there is a bland tomato sauce and some kidney beans. Now as far as your snack goes, don't count on a special snack. Ice cream sandwiches and turkey sandwiches are snacks and I can't recall ever getting a veg version of either. On ANA I have gotten a white bread, lettuce and tomato sandwich for snack (oh goody) but united doesn't seem to make the effort for snack out here. On the plus side, Japan has delicious fruit that you can bring and veggie/organic items are getting more popular. There's even a special Lawson now with a brown sign that carries mostly organic stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Waaaait just a minute Annak, are you on Guam? If so do you need help finding vegan treats here?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Well I find myself veganizing chicken recipes a lot, maybe she makes it vegan?

Well it starts with "take chicken pieces - any parts will do..." And its to a non-vegan audience, so ...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Maybe she just cares about cows. In all seriousness, I would just ignore it. It sounds a little weird though.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i hate to say this, but i have passed on non-vegan recipes from pregan days to people who want them. i don't think i'd do it on FB because of how it might make my vegan friends on FB feel, though. I have a reputation to keep up.

Can I also take this opportunity to vent? someone posting on a gorgeous cake i posted saying "why do vegan foods always have to say "delicious vegan cake" or "scrumptious savory tart"?" I responded back saying that it was so that a) vegan police don't get all CAKE IS NOT VEGAN and b) because people assume vegan food is terrible and so we feel a need to say something to head off the rabbit food comments. If it hadn't been a good friend of mine from way back who, to be fair was commenting between Eurovision spells and probably was at least 3 sheets to the wind, i would have started ranting.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
I think it might depend on the originating airport. From Tokyo to Guam, I got a fruit salad with a main entree that was asparagus and other veggies in a red sauce that did not seem problematic at all (other than the wrapped, unlabeled pat of what I assume was butter, but like I said the condiments are usually standard). But on the west coast (!!!) they seem very iffy on reading the definitions they're supposed to be using.

Recently I got the tapas snackbox and I think the olives, hummus, pita chips, tapenade, and cream crackers (!) were OK.. the olive oil crackers (!), dark chocolate blueberries, and cheese spread were NOT VEGAN. You can get the hummus and pita chips a la carte, though. (If you plan ahead you can sometimes buy the Go Picnic boxes in the airport, the sunflower butter and hummus ones are vegan I think. I learned the other day that apparently the company was started by an alumna of my high school, another good reason to support them!)

ETA: Best VGML ever was when my morning snack - I think on a flight to Amsterdam from the east coast, maybe Hartford - was a Now & Zen cinnamon roll. Those days appear to be long gone.

I was very pleasantly surprised by that tapas box on a united flight. Gave the non vegan bits to my neighbor and she gave me her olives because my toddler was a fan.

I used to get insanely good vegan meals on continental - cheeseburgers that were super tasty, giant ABC cookies, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

Alaina wrote:
couroupita wrote:
Alaina wrote:
Soy that has been genetically modified, sprayed with chemicals, and then processed in even more chemicals, like hexane, is bad for you.

I know we've been over this before like a billion times and Alaina, I'm not trying to pick on you, but I have major issues with statements like this. I think it's equally fear-mongering to go on about genetic modifications and "chemicals" (does this mean pesticides?? what chemicals are we talking about?) when there's no definitive study showing there are legitimate issues with GMOs, hexane, etc. It's fine if that's your personal belief, but it's misleading to make such a bold statement as if it's undisputed fact, just like it's misleading and wrong to say soy gives you manboobs. Of course hexane is not great for you, but the levels in soy are *incredibly* low and you'd have to consume an awful lot of soy products to get anywhere near the harmful levels. I work with hexane every day, probably even inhale a bit (which is much, much more harmful than ingesting a few ppm's worth), but it's not been shown even among chemists like me who are exposed every day that there is an actual health risk unless you're huffing or bathing in the stuff. There are many other things you're exposed to every day -- like UV, air pollution, or certain solvents used in everyday products -- that are way more likely to negatively impact your health but are not given as much air time because they're not nebulously science-y and don't make sexy sexy news stories.

If we're willing to roll our eyes over obviously dopey health claims about soy and other foods, then we should be willing to question and research (with lots of skepticism) every other health claim that people make.

Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, chemicals fertilizers, I meant the whole slew of everything that's considered a chemical. There's also no definitive study (as if there's any such real thing as 100% definitive when it comes to something that has a margin of error) that those things are not bad for you, and that's the problem. You can't say that are safe, because that's also making a bold statement as undisputed fact. People aren't science experiments and we shouldn't be ingesting things that haven't been proven to be safe. And no I do not believe GMO's are safe. In fact I shouldn't be asked to believe for them to be safe, because it should proven that they are, before they are fed to people. There's already lots of studies showing that BT corn causes cancer and leukemia in lab mice and lab rats as well.
I'm fully aware of all the solvents and pollution in other things, but we were talking about food. When you live in a world where there's toxic chemicals everywhere, you need to reduce your exposure as much as you can to as much as you can. I have much more personal control over what I eat versus what I breathe, so that's a good place to start taking out as many toxic chemicals as possible. I buy everything at home organic and GMO free, it's reduced my rosacea outbreaks and lessened other skin problems, and I have less allergic reactions, all from reducing my exposure to GMO foods, pesticides, and weird food additives. I also lost a bit of weight and I didn't change my caloric intake or workout routine.

We've already been told to stop posting about this topic in this thread. There are literally tons of other threads on this subject and you can post them in there. This thread is for pet-peeves, not the debate over agricultural practices.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

stellamarie wrote:
Waaaait just a minute Annak, are you on Guam? If so do you need help finding vegan treats here?

Are you on Guam? I didn't even think to ask here, I just assumed the chances of there being Guam PPKers was close to zero. I am here, for a little while!! If you have any suggestions I'm all ears. We had a heck of a time finding anything open on Sunday yesterday, and after an unsuccessful trip to Singapura for their veggie menu (it had closed permanently) ended up at the Micronesian mall for sushi. The grocery store in there did have lots of surprising stuff, including two of the largest Vegenaise displays I've ever seen (in the natural foods and regular sections)!

Especially any tips on where to get dinner would be appreciated. Most of the vegetarian stuff seems lunch-only.. We were going to go to Simply Food or Heavenly Veggies for lunch but my husband had to go right back to work so we settled for Subway.. Might try Margarita's tonight.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yes ma'am I'm on Guam and happy to help :)

For breakfast and lunch you need to go to Pika's Cafe! It's on Marine Drive across from St Johns School. They have a ranchero scramble for breakie and for lunch Tofu bahn mi, yummm! yes they have veganaise, but specify just to make sure. They have a soyrizo wrap that is bomb too. For snack or dessert Frost Bite is next door - it's this special shave ice that you can get made vegan.

For morning snacks and coffee the blueberry muffin at infusion is vegan. Get it in the morning though as when I have had one in the afternoon it's been dry.

Are you trying to stay in Tumon for dinner? If so - Jamaican grill veggie plate with all Jamaican rice (red rice has bacon flavor). Margaritas is not so great, Calientes in Agana is better but if you're used to stateside Mexican I would skip it on Guam. If you want some yummy Thai you need to go to Dededo (past the mall going north) and hit Fortune Cookie. It's not vegan but the owner is and he can be trusted to leave the fish sauce out when you ask.

Annd if you need a PPK-er to have lunch with send me a PM! No vegan should be stuck eating Subway here! Even Submarina is better, they have locally baked bread and avocado is an option. How long are you here ?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

And yes for your airplane snacks you'll want to hit Payless in micro mall and also Simply Food. Simply Food is a lunch counter but there is also a tiny health food store attached. Expensive yes but they have some stuff you can't find anywhere else on island. The lunches are good too, just basic sandwiches, soups, and a few hot choices. Not all vegan though, some of their fake meat is only vegetarian and they use dairy in some things. It is catty corner from Naval Hospital.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Someone who I am in a volunteering group with and see at least one weekend a month has recently started trying to pick on reasons why I'm supposedly a vegan hypocrite every time he sees me, such as that if I'm in a rush I don't always find time to check whether a beer is vegan or not before I buy it. What makes it worse is that when I ask him politely to stop and remind him that I don't sit there criticising his own ethical choices (he eats meat), he won't stop but just keeps repeating these criticisms.

I used to get on all right with this guy, but this kind of behaviour (along with a few other annoyances) is starting to really get to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Grandfathered In

See, if you drink nonvegan beer, he doesn't need to examine any of his assumptions or choices.

I don't get it either, but that's how it works?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Right. Because if you can't be perfect, why even bother?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

A facebook friend is lecturing me on how processed food is horrible. At 3 AM last night, he checked in from a Burger King.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I had my first ever vegan related drama the other day. A group of my friends and I arranged a get together to watch Eurovision. As normally happens, we decided to all chip in with the food. I was going to bake some bread and make soup, which meant that if the other food was non-vegan (two of the other people coming are omnis, the rest vegetarians) I'd still be okay with my soup. Anyway, two days before the event, the friend who was hosting (not a super-close friend of mine) emailed my best friend saying she "wasn't comfortable" with people bringing food, but it was okay if someone brought the dessert, and sure, dip, etc was okay...basically it all came down to my soup was not welcome. And btw, she made it clear she wasn't going to make anything vegan. First of all I decided f*ck it, I'm taking soup anyway, but she told my friend that if I did, I should only bring it for myself (what the fizzle?? my other friends were looking forward to sharing my soup and bread!), so then I said I'd just eat at home before I went. But finally, I just decided not to go. It was SO petty and annoying, and I *still* don't quite understand what motivated this ridiculous series of events!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:36 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

when articles shine a negative light on veganisim, carnivores become insta-health know it alls:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... ther-dies/

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:07 pm 
WELFARIST!

Karena wrote:
I had my first ever vegan related drama the other day. A group of my friends and I arranged a get together to watch Eurovision. As normally happens, we decided to all chip in with the food. I was going to bake some bread and make soup, which meant that if the other food was non-vegan (two of the other people coming are omnis, the rest vegetarians) I'd still be okay with my soup. Anyway, two days before the event, the friend who was hosting (not a super-close friend of mine) emailed my best friend saying she "wasn't comfortable" with people bringing food, but it was okay if someone brought the dessert, and sure, dip, etc was okay...basically it all came down to my soup was not welcome. And btw, she made it clear she wasn't going to make anything vegan. First of all I decided f*ck it, I'm taking soup anyway, but she told my friend that if I did, I should only bring it for myself (what the fizzle?? my other friends were looking forward to sharing my soup and bread!), so then I said I'd just eat at home before I went. But finally, I just decided not to go. It was SO petty and annoying, and I *still* don't quite understand what motivated this ridiculous series of events!!

Sounds like they were just being difficult to be difficult! I hate it when other people ruin fun things for other people like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think that's what it was! I think she just wanted to assert her will in a really annoying way. She can be quite unforgiving, narrow-minded and judgemental (which goes some way to explain why she's not a close friend) and sees veganism as a silly affectation. I felt the whole thing was a storm in a teacup on one hand, just so trivial and ridiculous, but on the other hand, it's about respect (or lack of).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:15 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I had a co-worker tell me a few minutes ago that the reason I am cold all the time is because I need to eat more meat.

I smiled and said "oh yeah, show me scientific proof that eating meat makes me warmer"

his reply?
"cavemen" and then he walked away

what the huh?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Paleo-no he didn't!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

ndpittman wrote:
Paleo-no he didn't!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

missmuffcake wrote:
when articles shine a negative light on veganisim, carnivores become insta-health know it alls:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... ther-dies/

OH MY GOD my friend emailed this to ME AND MY BOYFRIEND even though we are not engaged nor planning to start a family any time soon, along with a lecture about how I better be careful about what I do or our future child will die.

What the actual fork.

I NEVER talk about my diet, except if I am asked for a reason as to why I have politely declined an offered piece of food. Just because my boyfriend and I have casually mentioned that maybe someday in the future we might have a kid am I now going to have to deal with this kind of shiitake? What the hell. What the goddamn hell.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217 ... 494  Next