| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

paprikapapaya wrote:
I hate the "it's actually good!" No shiitake. Did you think I ate garbage?

"Yes, you're right, I am vegan because I forking hate delicious food. Ding ding ding."

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

poopiebitch wrote:
Haha, my favorite was recently when I gave someone a cupcake, and they surprisedly declared "it tastes like cake!"

WHAT did you think it would taste like??

when people do this, do you ever want to furrow your brow and apologize and take the cupcake back and mutter something about not knowing what went wrong as you walk toward the garbage with it? (p.s. i am a jerk.)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

acr wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Haha, my favorite was recently when I gave someone a cupcake, and they surprisedly declared "it tastes like cake!"

WHAT did you think it would taste like??

when people do this, do you ever want to furrow your brow and apologize and take the cupcake back and mutter something about not knowing what went wrong as you walk toward the garbage with it? (p.s. i am a jerk.)

Well NOW I do! That's hilarious.

I just read the phrase "humanely raised foie gras" and I almost injured myself with how hard I rolled my eyes. bisque, please.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:15 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i know i bitched about this before but damn it angers me! people sampling from the bulk bins...a guy drags his whole family to the natural foods section and grans a handful of nuts...i wanted to punch him.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

This: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... N_20130523

Like, if you can avoid animal products most of the time, and know the ethical, environmental, and health concerns involved...sigh. It's better than nothing though.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

paprikapapaya wrote:
I hate the "it's actually good!" No shiitake. Did you think I ate garbage?
Well, ERMAGERD IF IT ISN'T BACON what else could it possibly be?!?!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
Grandfathered In

vegancatlady wrote:

Like, if you can avoid animal products most of the time, and know the ethical, environmental, and health concerns involved...sigh. It's better than nothing though.

I totally agree that it's better than nothing. Maybe even much better than nothing.

But I still think Bittman's piece is incoherent. You shouldn't go vegan, because it's also beneficial to move toward being vegan?

You also shouldn't stop smoking cigarettes, because smoking only a few cigarettes a day is way better than smoking two packs!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:53 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

it's pretty frustrating. he answers the question "why not be vegan?" by telling us why being vegan is good, but he's saying, what, you don't want too much of that good thing? and then there's this:

"This much is known, now: We produce most animal products in deplorable conditions, and some of our health and environmental problems can be traced both to dominant production methods and our overconsumption. But we like to eat them . . ."

so i'm probably going to pinch him if i see him out and about, but i guess i'll try to wait until after 6:00? and it'll be like a little treat that i've earned by not pinching anyone all day.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

FootFace wrote:
vegancatlady wrote:

I totally agree that it's better than nothing. Maybe even much better than nothing.

But I still think Bittman's piece is incoherent. You shouldn't go vegan, because it's also beneficial to move toward being vegan?

You also shouldn't stop smoking cigarettes, because smoking only a few cigarettes a day is way better than smoking two packs!

I think this is kind of harsh. Bittman's whole thing these days is usually centered around the idea of "semi-vegan." We aren't his target audience--the people who can't imagine life without bacon are his audience. He can reach a lot of those people than we as full vegans can't because they just tune us out. He isn't threatening or telling people to stop eating meat. Instead, he is giving them baby steps.

Sure, some/most of it is annoying to vegans, but is it annoying or a wee bit convincing to the people he actually targets?

Of course, he is in a corner here--he can't actually go vegan himself because them he isn't as "safe" and he is out of his little niche. And he seems to need to pat himself on the back a bit for making an effort. But, most people don't make an effort, so I can't really fault people who make a sincere effort, even if it is kind of half asparagus and self-congratulatory.

He does back himself up with a lot of recipes and good advice. Overall, I think he helps make veganism more approachable and less of an oddball subculture of crazy animal and tree hugging loonies (don't we all know someone or several someones convinced all vegans are like this?)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I don't know, I used to like Bittman. I viewed him as a veg*n "ally", so to speak; I own his 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian". However, this article left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that we're not his audience, but it annoys the heck out of me that he's co-opting the term "vegan." I realize he is not alone in doing this by any means, but it still irks me. One simply cannot be a part-time vegan, the idea is nonsensical, such as saying one is a "Democrat before six". Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when people consider only the dietary aspects of veganism. I had to explain to my dad that doing animal experimentation (I'm in a cognitive psychology program) wasn't vegan just the other day. I've been veg*n for 17 years, and he didn't realize that I wouldn't be interested in shocking rats or whatnot.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

That bothered me too, that he touts veganism as a dietary choice only. I actually don't think the article would have irked me as much if it hadn't been obnoxiously titled "Why I'm Not Vegan", since he spent the article promoting a vegan diet, rather than discouraging it...it was a cheap way to catch readers' attention.

It's kind of ridiculous to assume that people will listen more to a part-time vegan...I mean, isn't it kind of our job as vegans to show that not all vegans are fanatical crassholes? I like to think that living by example is the most convincing form of "evangelism", if you will.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:22 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Side note: VeggieBeat, what alternatives does your program offer for those who are morally opposed to animal experimentation?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Why am I not at Vida Vegan Con. That is my peeve. Every tweet and photo looks amazing. I think Portland must be like some divine manifestation of the PPK right now!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Vegancatlady- my program actually did away with their animal program quite some time ago, so I don't have to worry about it! Students who want to work with animals can do so with the neuroscience department, but I don't think anyone is, at least not right now. My advisor (and therefore me!) typically only conducts experiments with the undergrads. I don't think I could go through a program that required it. I have enough trouble learning about past animal studies; they make me so sad, and unfortunately they come up often in some classes.

Also, I agree with your sentiment about the title of Bittman's article- ick!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Veggiebeat wrote:
Vegancatlady- my program actually did away with their animal program quite some time ago, so I don't have to worry about it! Students who want to work with animals can do so with the neuroscience department, but I don't think anyone is, at least not right now. My advisor (and therefore me!) typically only conducts experiments with the undergrads. I don't think I could go through a program that required it. I have enough trouble learning about past animal studies; they make me so sad, and unfortunately they come up often in some classes.

This was an issue with me and my studies (neuropsychology) but fortunately it has seemed like psychology is moving away from animal experimentation. Would you agree?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:34 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Veggiebeat wrote:

This was an issue with me and my studies (neuropsychology) but fortunately it has seemed like psychology is moving away from animal experimentation. Would you agree?

Yes, it does seem so! We have fairly widely-available technology that allows us (lowly grad students) to experiment with human subjects (neuroimaging and the like), as well as statistical software packages that enable us to analyze vast amounts of data, so animal research isn't as integral. The neuropsych people in my department do fMRI or EEG experiments, or conduct metanalyses. Also, it does seem that people are more concerned about the ethics of animal research! I've heard a number of other students express their dislike of it. Whether or not this concern extends to the animal products in their plates and on their bodies, I don't know, but it does make me happy.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:02 am 
Dead by dawn

Tofulish wrote:
Why am I not at Vida Vegan Con. That is my peeve. Every tweet and photo looks amazing. I think Portland must be like some divine manifestation of the PPK right now!

I wish you were going to be there!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My mom told me today that her doctor told her that if she wants to feel better she needs to adopt a plant based diet or live with the aches and pains. She told me this today then looked at me all mean like and said "I am going to do it because I want to feel better, not because I care or think about those animals in anyway."

Part of me understands she is having a hard time with it and she would rather not, in fact I will be surprised if she makes it half way. That being said I will do everything I can to help her and support her. I even told her to slowly cut the dairy and meat out of her diet as to not shock her body to much.

I have not been real crazy for the animals vegan. All I really say when she has asked me why I went vegan is that I think it is better for me, the earth and the animals. I understand it is a bit extreme but it is right for me and that I think most folks should at least try to cut their consumption of animal products. I was kind of shocked at how angry she seemed.

Then I went out to my car and got her my extra copy of Vegan For Life. Also told her I have a spare copy of the Forks Over Knives cookbook at home and will bring it to her.

I guess my peeve is people who I love being told to go plant based by a doctor and ranting to me about how they don't care about the animals. While they hold 4 dogs on their lap.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 am 
Grandfathered In

I think people look at it like they're joining a cult. I'm not one of those people, those crazy animal people. I'm just doing what my doctor told me to do! You don't know me!

I'm my own person!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 am 
Seagull of the PPK

PugMom wrote:
My mom told me today that her doctor told her that if she wants to feel better she needs to adopt a plant based diet or live with the aches and pains. She told me this today then looked at me all mean like and said "I am going to do it because I want to feel better, not because I care or think about those animals in anyway."

Part of me understands she is having a hard time with it and she would rather not, in fact I will be surprised if she makes it half way. That being said I will do everything I can to help her and support her. I even told her to slowly cut the dairy and meat out of her diet as to not shock her body to much.

I have not been real crazy for the animals vegan. All I really say when she has asked me why I went vegan is that I think it is better for me, the earth and the animals. I understand it is a bit extreme but it is right for me and that I think most folks should at least try to cut their consumption of animal products. I was kind of shocked at how angry she seemed.

Then I went out to my car and got her my extra copy of Vegan For Life. Also told her I have a spare copy of the Forks Over Knives cookbook at home and will bring it to her.

I guess my peeve is people who I love being told to go plant based by a doctor and ranting to me about how they don't care about the animals. While they hold 4 dogs on their lap.

ha, i was one of those people. i was definitely afraid to drink the koolaid. and give up my cheese. i was all about people and the environment, and i also may have said out loud a few times that i was not "that type of vegan". Now I am definitely "that type of vegan!!"
give her some time, she may come around. good for you being there to support her and make sure she doesn't just eat plain pasta and newman-o's.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:22 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
vegancatlady wrote:

This is why I still insist on smoking crack a few times each day; I don't want to be seen as an extremist.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I'm only a racist/homophobe/antisemite/chauvinist pig after 6.

[i also think Bittman's shpiel is better than nothing, but it's fun to take the peas out of him]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:16 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I only eat babies after 6. Before that, I just sniff them and wait.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:18 am 
Semen Strong

And this is why my cat attacks you only after 6.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:34 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I thought that was because I was sleeping and defenseless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 546  Next