| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 498  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:49 pm 
Semen Strong

acr wrote:
so, don't immediately lick the top of the slice of cake to mark it as yours while giving everyone else at the table the stinkeye? *makes note*

That sounds very effective. *makes note*

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just kind of make an effort to shove the cake into my face as quickly and aggressively as possible. If this does not communicate to everyone that the cake is mine and mine alone, at least I get the majority of the cake for me.
I mean, not really. But imagine if I did.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

All this talk of eating cake with spoons makes me want to address another pet peeve: eating cake with spoons!!!

Cake is meant to be eaten with a fork.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

True, which makes it even more confusing that they gave me three spoons.

ETA: and two were soup spoons.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Heehee. I never offer to share my dessert with omnis. I just pretend I didn't see the extra utensils.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:20 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

That reminds me of my other pet peeve - when omnis think they're doing you a favor by eating your food. One of my first vegan thanksgivings I had a roll of sushi from whole foods for myself and my uncle sees it away from all the other food and is all "hurr hurr what is it?" And then takes a piece and says "I don't trust it but I'll try it" and without being totally rude I couldn't say "no one asked you to"

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
acr wrote:
so, don't immediately lick the top of the slice of cake to mark it as yours while giving everyone else at the table the stinkeye? *makes note*

That sounds very effective. *makes note*

FYI: If you make this joke around children, they WILL indeed lick the cake.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 am 
Huffs Nooch

acr wrote:

Ha, my little brother sometimes did that when we were given something to share when we were kids. And if it was smaller things like sweets or popcorn he'd stick his whole head in the bowl and make sure everything touched his hair.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

"I licked it; it's mine!" May or may not have been a common phrase for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 am 
Semen Strong

Kelly wrote:

Leela has learned that I will eat her food even if she licks it! So if she licks the cake than basically only she and I will eat it, and bonus, I don't have to be the gross person licking the cake (just the gross mom of the gross person licking the cake).

Fee wrote:
That reminds me of my other pet peeve - when omnis think they're doing you a favor by eating your food. One of my first vegan thanksgivings I had a roll of sushi from whole foods for myself and my uncle sees it away from all the other food and is all "hurr hurr what is it?" And then takes a piece and says "I don't trust it but I'll try it" and without being totally rude I couldn't say "no one asked you to"

Made worse when they then insult your food that they've just eaten, leaving you hungry and defensive.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Shamini wrote:
acr wrote:

Ha, my little brother sometimes did that when we were given something to share when we were kids. And if it was smaller things like sweets or popcorn he'd stick his whole head in the bowl and make sure everything touched his hair.

little do they know that once a parent has wiped your asparagus and cleaned your puke, whether your pudding has a precious strand of your little hair in it or not, or a bit of the same spit that is currently saturating the air due to your snorting and sneezing, nobody cares- that shiitake is fair game.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've eaten stuff they've already chewed, licking it would not faze me!

(When you have some half chewed sandwich in your hand and no bin in sight...)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:46 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Leela has learned that I will eat her food even if she licks it! So if she licks the cake than basically only she and I will eat it, and bonus, I don't have to be the gross person licking the cake (just the gross mom of the gross person licking the cake).

Made worse when they then insult your food that they've just eaten, leaving you hungry and defensive.

I mean, she eats food that comes out of your boobs, it seems only fair that you get to eat cake that she licks.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I spent the weekend with some omnis who were grilling out a bunch. I ate about 8 soydogs over the course of said weekend. Most of the people were totally chill and my guy made sure my stuff wasn't contaminated by their millions of pounds of meat, but the host just really could not understand veganism. Or, he wasn't willing to. I don't talk about my lifestyle choices unless people ask me about them, and he was asking, and once I finally got him to understand that I only eat plants, he said, 'So only things that grow out of the ground?' And I said, 'Yep!' and then he said, 'But animals grow out of the ground!' Dude...I know we've been drinking, but you're not even close.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

GAAAAAAH!!!! Why oh why do sweet companies go out of their way to not have gelatine in their sweets and use that as their selling point then have shellac or beeswax in it? GAAAAAH!!!!! Break my heart just after I do a happy dance in the confectionary aisle of Tesco why don't you.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

if you were going to start your own business marketing a line of bottled fresh-pressed soy milks, don't you think you'd make at least one kind that didn't contain honey? like, maybe the chocolate peanut butter one? because putting honey in something that i want to try so much is SO MEAN.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I pretty much hate honey, ACR. Sorry that milk isn't working for you; it sounds delightful.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

getting asked about a billion questions or getting snark when i am getting checked out at the store....it is like sorry dude that tofu boggles you mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am 
Saggy Butt

http://beefreehonee.com/

i tasted this product at our spring new products show and it won't be in our stores until the end of July!
it is seriously deeeeeeeelicious.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:32 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Well fork. I went to Panera today, hoping for better luck. I just opened my mediterranean veggie to add my potato chips and found BACON. What the fork is that shiitake? An entire piece of bacon on one half of the sandwich. How the fork does that happen accidentally?

$7 only because I have a long day today and needed more than my yogurt. I don't have time to go take it back, so the whole thing is wasted.

I'm not going back there again.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i ate at a salad bar and it tasted forked up. turned out there was bacon in the spinach...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am 
Discovered unobtainium

For some reason people think spinach and bacon go together.

But how does an entire slice of bacon get into hummus?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm 
WRETCHED

And I thought the feta in the veggie sandwich was annoying. I thought they only had cilantro hummus though?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, but if I'm hungry enough it isn't too horrible since they only smear on a very miserly amount. So, it's mostly peppadews, red onion, cucumber, and lettuce. I thought I would give it a try today anyway.

I give up now.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

vegancatlady wrote:
Yesterday after work I went on a field trip (seriously, I can spend hours there) to the Whole Foods megastore not-at-all-close to my apartment, and impulse-bought a Daiya frozen pizza (red flag #1-I've never tasted Daiya before). So I go home and bake it, raising my eyebrow at the instructions to heat the oven to 500 degrees fahrenheit (red flag #2). Well, 14 minutes later, I go to take it out of the oven and it is burnt to a crisp. So I broke off a small non-burnt part to taste the cheese, and it was horrible-it reminded me of fake cheese from a can or something equally disgusting.

I'm just hoping that WF will give me a refund, because I paid $10 for that piece of garbage!

Lesson learned: if you're not a big fan of frozen pizza to begin with, and you're trying a vegan product for the first time...just say no. Sigh.

I really wish I would have read this prior to buying and cooking the pizza. The cooking instructions are way wrong! I knew 500 was way too high, so I did it at 450 on the rack and it didn't burn to a crisp but the middle of the pizza literally melted away and fell the bottom of the oven. So all I had left to eat was the outer ring. And it wasn't melty on top like I know it was supposed to be. But the bottom was done all the way to almost being burnt so I couldn't leave it in anymore. It def needs to be cooked on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Which they say you do, but I was too lazy to pull my stone out. I really liked it over all though. For being a frozen gluten free vegan pizza it was tasty and loved the texture of the crust. I think I will email them with my results, hopefully they can make some revisions to their directions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223 ... 498  Next