| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 546  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I know this has been talked about before but images like this on FB:

I see this shiitake all over tumblr and I hate it so much. Ugh.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i attended a vegan 'brunch for dinner' themed movie night, and apparently vegans around here talk about hardcore biking, and juice fasting, while scarfing down breakfast treats.
no judgement; myself and one other guy pretty much devoured a giant chocolate chip cookie, and i had a couple of muffins, and it was fine, but i don't really want to be discussing how they were ready with the juicer in case so-and-so came since she was on a juice fast right now, and how the majority of the group was going to be meeting at 5am for a 40km bike ride, while i did this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tofulish wrote:
And this was the response I got.

Quote:
And I find it sad wen people try to shove their ideals down people's throat but I know they have the freedom to do that, as I have the freedom to listen or ignore it. Some people chose to feed and shelter feral cats even though they bring a negative ecological impact, but that's their choice to do it. Colleen if you still want to do it I can ask the farm where I get free range eggs from if they'd want the chicks. Their chickens are running around the farm, barn, etc.

So I've left the group. I hate people.

Ugh. This is the worst response. If you have a genuine concern about something then it is not "shoving your ideals down people's throat". It irritates me how overused that phrase is. If you were bringing up a vegan ideology when it was barely relevant, that would be one thing, but voicing your concern is NOT shoving your veganism down anything simply because they may not agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:56 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

jean wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
The expression "cow pus yoghurt" is disgusting and makes me disgusted to be associated with people who use that expression via veganism. "Pus yoghurt" vegan silliness just as bad as "how do you live without meat?" meat-eater silliness.

Positivity > Negativity

I was unaware that this term was offensive or made other vegans uncomfortable. I thought it was common knowledge that cow's milk often contains pus from infected udders - but that's beside the point.
Given the responses on this thread, I stand corrected and will not use the term any longer - in fact I don't think I've used it before my post on vegan pet awesomes.

You could have had the common decency to inform me directly that this made you uncomfortable. I think your approach in informing me of my innocent gaff was very mean-spirited. I'm sorry you are disgusted to be associated with me. To be honest, I don't enjoy catty childish behaviour such as this. So consider the feeling mutual.

I know you aren't talking specifically about me here but as I agreed with him I thought I'd just say that I had no idea you or anyone else on here had used that phrase; I don't go in or read every thread and even if I did I most likely wouldn't remember who'd said what, so it most certainly wasn't a dig at you. But I still stand by my dislike of that term - it's common knowledge that lots of food contain fairly unsavoury ingredients but I don't think anyone stands to gain much by calling that food by the name of the ingredient.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh. I didn't know that Gulliver's post was referring to anyone on the PPK.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:08 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Jigglypuff wrote:
I don't think that it was. I've also heard that expression (and others like it) from vegans outside the PPK, and for what it's worth I agree that employing gross-out euphemisms isn't the most persuasive rhetorical position, especially if we're hoping to help people examine things in a different light, and maybe even change their minds. It's been my observation that putting people on the defensive shuts down discourse and makes them get more deeply entrenched in their comfort zone: a common reaction to any perceived attack. (NB that this comment is not directed at anyone; it's just a general observation in response to the original remark about the term in question.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Fee wrote:
I remember one time I confided in my boyfriend that some vegans out there in the world call milk "rape juice"

I kinda feel this way when my no-weaning-not-never-no-how toddler runs toward me, yanks down my shirt, and yells "NURR PEEEEZ!" though...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

annak wrote:
Fee wrote:
I remember one time I confided in my boyfriend that some vegans out there in the world call milk "rape juice"

I kinda feel this way when my no-weaning-not-never-no-how toddler runs toward me, yanks down my shirt, and yells "NURR PEEEEZ!" though...
*SNORT*

This reminds me of a friend's anecdote about when she was beginning to wean her toddler. He'd been doing great for the first couple days, and then - at a multi-generational family picnic, of course - he launched himself into her lap and started applying himself to her blouse. When she reminded him that they weren't doing that anymore, he shouted, in a pitiful, pleading voice: "Please, mama! Just one more time!"

Awkward for her; hilarious for everyone who heard the story later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Today I did go with the plate of chips for my lunch. Damn good!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Desdemona wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
I don't think that it was.

in Vegan Pet Awesomes, jean wrote:
While at the supermarket today I noted that the big tub of organic soy yogurt was cheaper than the organic cow pus yogurt (poor cows). Yay! I will buy some tomorrow.

Four hours later, Gulliver wrote:
The expression "cow pus yoghurt" is disgusting and makes me disgusted to be associated with people who use that expression via veganism. "Pus yoghurt" vegan silliness just as bad as "how do you live without meat?" meat-eater silliness.

Positivity > Negativity

If Gulliver wasn't referring to jean's post, it's an awfully big coincidence. Dude, I loves me some Gulliver, but if this was aimed at jean, it was kind of a passive aggressive move.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I will helpfully (not) chime in with my own story. When I was in middle school my mom had a friend who was vegan and she would call ice cream "cow snot." If I said I was going to go get some ice cream she would taunt me by saying "You mean cow snot?" and it was pretty off-putting. As in, put me off veganism for a while.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

So I may have to buy Mar cottage cheese and eggs for his new special needs diet...I kinda feel the need to point out that these are for my ckd cat - that I am still vegan! I vegan police myself guys...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

missmuffcake wrote:
So I may have to buy Mar cottage cheese and eggs for his new special needs diet...I kinda feel the need to point out that these are for my ckd cat - that I am still vegan! I vegan police myself guys...

Meh. I buy a bottle of some type of oil every payday. Now that is sooooooo not vegan. And I eat oreos.

I hope the new diet helps with getting Mar better xx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 pm 
Chip Strong

Goodness! Okay, I thought this was done and dusted yesterday. But to clarify - if it helps. Gulliver was addressing my comment on vegan pet awesomes. Via pm to me he admitted he was having a rather bad day, but that there was no excuse for his behaviour. He apologized gracefully for which I thanked him.

As a vegan I have never used terms such as cow pus in front of omnis, I have far better social skills than that, and all my loved ones are non vegans. I do often use cow pus in my head though because cow's milk and cow's milk yogurt are something I crave often, and I like to remind myself why I don't buy it for myself, even though I'm on budget and cow's milk items are often cheaper. I thought it was a safe term to use on a vegan forum - I admitted my ignorance and still stand corrected on the term.

And thank you lepelaar, you were correct and I appreciate your help.

I think this is an example of how we can all be guilty of letting our manners slip a bit on internet forums - myself included.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Glad it is sorted it out amicably. I love it when things work out nicely.

Life would be boring if we were all perfect though. We wouldn't learn a thing if we didn't make a faux pas (sp?) every so often. I sure make plenty of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think it depends how you word your use of the word cow-pus milk. Like I wouldn't say something like "I ain't eating no cow-pus milk", but if someone was asking enough stupid questions I may something like "I'm not drinking something that contains pus because the animals are usually sick". Although that's never really happened to me in real life, but there's are tactful ways to point out that milk contains pus, I think. Or there could be a tactful way to state it.

I hate people asking me if I crave meat. I haven't eaten it since I was 13. So that's usually my answer. But I also hate the whole notion that despite the fact that I have a fully functioning brain, I should give into whatever craving I (meaning the person annoying me's cravings) whenever they come about, because apparently I have no self control and should just shove whatever food I get a craving for into my mouth as soon as the urge hits?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 pm 
Chip Strong

daisychain wrote:
Glad it is sorted it out amicably. I love it when things work out nicely..

Me too! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm 

Kinda a silly one but, I hate how everyone puts dark chocolate together with mint. I hate mint chocolate. Please give me orange chocolate, or, or, anything but mint chocolate!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Blergh, I was listening to a podcast and the guest was a vegan wrestler. Dude was really ignorant...first he said vegans who eat junk food aren't real vegans. Then, he was talking about protein and said that the body can make any protein it needs out of the carbs and fat you eat (he was thinking about amino acids, but I guess doesn't understand the fundamental difference between protein, fats, and carbs), and then he was saying how we need to eat clean and stay away from additives like fluoride in water, because you know fluoride is the main ingredient in Prozac. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH head explosion. I turned it off as soon as I had a free hand. So my vegan pet peeve today is vegans who have a platform to say uninformed stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm 
Semen Strong

You never know what is going to move someone. A friend of mine said that the thing that made her give up dairy was reading that chocolate milk is the milk that is too stained from blood and pus to regain its white color, so they toss chocolate in it to cover it. Just thinking of her milk containing blood and pus has kept her vegan for over 10 years now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:
chocolate milk is the milk that is too stained from blood and pus to regain its white color, so they toss chocolate in it to cover it.

Is that actually true?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
Semen Strong

Not according to Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chocmilk.asp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Tofulish wrote:

That's what I thought! I was pretty sure chocolate milk came about to get kids drinking milk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 pm 

I went to my best friend's graduation party. I had brought some Field Roast chipotle sausages, but after a few hours of drinking and hanging out in the sun i was hungry. So, i made myself a burger-less sandwich using burger toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, ketchup, and mustard. A lady looked at my plate and said "EWWW GROSS." I asked her why and apparently ketchup is gross without meat. Whatever, people have their own personal food preferences and i was just trying to eat something tasty (which it was) not get into a discussion of my diet, so i didn't really say anything else.
Then the other ladies sitting at the table started asking me about my diet. I explained that not only do i not consume animal flesh, but i choose not to eat eggs or dairy either. They asked me if i miss meat, and i said that i don't because meat is slimy and gross. One of the ladies interrupted me and said "NO NO NO DON'T SAY THAT." because apparently she couldn't handle hearing anything bad about meat. I didn't say a thing about the terrible conditions it comes from; all i said was that i think it is slimy, which was just too much for her. I should have just left then, but being the polite person i am, i continued this conversation.
They said something about it being too hard to cut out animal products. I said that it wasn't an all-or-nothing decision. She could just replace some animal products with plant based ones, not eat meat every day or every meal, etc. I used the example of replacing steak with pasta and veggies, to which she replied "Oh, i'm watching my weight so i can't eat pasta." BECAUSE STEAK IS SOOOO MUCH HEALTHIER THAN PASTA.
After this i gave up and drank more margaritas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Having to eat crappy food because someone made the effort. I ate a sandwich with banana peppers, black olives, tomato, and canned mushrooms because the deli that does the food for the GED meetings sent a vegan one. I hate all of those things, but it's the first time they've had something vegan, so I couldn't not eat!

Good thing it didn't have green pepper. Total deal breaker.

On the other hand, it was nice they remembered and asked for something vegan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 546  Next