| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 547  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

couroupita wrote:
, and then he was saying how we need to eat clean

Is steroids part of clean eating? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

missmuffcake wrote:
couroupita wrote:
, and then he was saying how we need to eat clean

Is steroids part of clean eating? ;)
Depends - are they organic, non-GMO steroids?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This is going to sound seriously first world problem, but our local Native Foods is about 30 miles north of the city. Which is OK for occasional trips but it makes it out of the way and annoying when I think about getting a catering platter from there. So I'm all "hey, we're getting Veggie Grill, right? Maybe they're open and maybe they do catering trays!!" Well, they're not open yet but they do do similar tray options, but get this... All THREE of the locations are still way north (La Jolla/UTC area, Del Mar, and Carlsbad)!!

This bodes well for Legoland trips, but.. why not one within 10 miles of here?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

annabazoo wrote:

After this i gave up and drank more margaritas.

This is me at every wedding/corporate event. Yay for margaritas!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm 
WRETCHED

annak wrote:
This is going to sound seriously first world problem, but our local Native Foods is about 30 miles north of the city. Which is OK for occasional trips but it makes it out of the way and annoying when I think about getting a catering platter from there. So I'm all "hey, we're getting Veggie Grill, right? Maybe they're open and maybe they do catering trays!!" Well, they're not open yet but they do do similar tray options, but get this... All THREE of the locations are still way north (La Jolla/UTC area, Del Mar, and Carlsbad)!!

Conversely, whenever I visit my parents in the north part, I am sad that all the veggie options are way south. So this bodes good for me? I'll be eating at Native foods in a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
Having to eat crappy food because someone made the effort. I ate a sandwich with banana peppers, black olives, tomato, and canned mushrooms because the deli that does the food for the GED meetings sent a vegan one. I hate all of those things, but it's the first time they've had something vegan, so I couldn't not eat!

The subway platter? That's the worst.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

linanil wrote:
I'll be eating at Native foods in a couple weeks.

It does feel like a pilgrammage. When I am in LA, my place is 5 minutes from the Culver City Native Foods, but here in SD it's will probably take close to an hour to get there. A solid 45 anyway.

Maybe it's good that it isn't closer. I have a deep and abiding love for the meatball sub and would eat it every day, probably, if they were closer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:
annak wrote:

Conversely, whenever I visit my parents in the north part, I am sad that all the veggie options are way south. So this bodes good for me? I'll be eating at Native foods in a couple weeks.

Sorry, annak!

Yeah I remember being so sad when all the veg options were farther south. I feel bitter cause my parents moved to friggin middle-of-nowhere Washington right when all the vegan places moved to north county. But isn't there a vegan fast food place in SD proper? I thought I remembered one opening, though I've never been. Maybe they do platters?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Evolution! Don't know if they cater, but we had ranchos cater a party for us and it was great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:05 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Why do people feel so compelled to tell vegans all their bullshiitake excuses for why they aren't vegan? Do they want our blessings? I ran into someone I know at the supermarket and she was saying that she isnt vegan because "i just couldnt think about food that much." ugh. I was, like, "oh, okay," but in my mind i was more like "if you gave a shiitake you could!" Tonight I am a little cranky, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That's so annoying, Amey! For a while at work I was getting that all the time, so I started saying real nonchalantly, "if you care strongly about an issue, you find ways to make time/think about food/quit eating cheese/excuse of the day." I know it's not very kind, but it's true. I think people got the message (and I don't think anyone thinks I was being too jerky!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

A person I know in real life moved away from here years ago. He was vegetarian then but put something on Twitter the other day about being able to be vegetarian again if it wasn't for a certain soup recipe. So I said well why don't you be vegetarian except for the soup in that case, and he didn't reply and unfollowed me. Ha.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

ameyfm wrote:
Why do people feel so compelled to tell vegans all their bullshiitake excuses for why they aren't vegan? Do they want our blessings?

Yes, a lot of the time they do. Or at the very least they want you to validate their excuses. Colleen Patrick-Goudreau has a whole podcast about this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:54 am 
Baking In The Flavor

karichelle wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
Why do people feel so compelled to tell vegans all their bullshiitake excuses for why they aren't vegan? Do they want our blessings?

Yes, a lot of the time they do. Or at the very least they want you to validate their excuses. Colleen Patrick-Goudreau has a whole podcast about this.

I always think of this as someone trying to show and interest, or connect with you. People do it a lot with other topics (if you've into tattoos, people will inevitably say 'Oh, I always wanted a tattoo but was too scared to get one'; if you're an actor they'll tell you about their high-school play in which they played a haybale) so I try to remember that they're not deliberately being annoying* :)

*I still get a bit annoyed of course , but then again that's what this thread is for :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:01 am 
Nooch of Earl

Ranchos catering sounds awesome, and yes there are tons of veg places around here, including Evolution not being that far, so it's just me being a total lazy-butt... But the other day I stopped at NF on the way home from Legoland and there was a woman picking up a giant catering order full of big meal salads, sammich platters, and wings for a PTA meeting, and I had two thoughts: 1) that looks awesome and delicious and I could totally take one of those trays of wrap sammiches into a boat party and have it be "stealth vegan" and 2) I need to find out what school that is, steal a child, and join their PTA.

Anyway, I love their online ordering. Most places that will just make a tray o' food you can bring somewhere require lots of advance ordering and dealing with humans on the phone, and then it's all screwed up when you pick it up anyway (or they haven't started making it). NF may not be the best vegan meal I've ever had but they're just such a consistently good experience, esp. for the besprogged.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:54 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

couroupita wrote:
Blergh, I was listening to a podcast and the guest was a vegan wrestler. Dude was really ignorant...first he said vegans who eat junk food aren't real vegans. Then, he was talking about protein and said that the body can make any protein it needs out of the carbs and fat you eat (he was thinking about amino acids, but I guess doesn't understand the fundamental difference between protein, fats, and carbs), and then he was saying how we need to eat clean and stay away from additives like fluoride in water, because you know fluoride is the main ingredient in Prozac. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH head explosion. I turned it off as soon as I had a free hand. So my vegan pet peeve today is vegans who have a platform to say uninformed stuff.

I hate shiitake like this. Using fear mongering to promote any cause is bullshiitake.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 am 

Chicki wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

Haha yes! At least they don't put steak or weird milk products in margarita mix. *knock on wood*

I never actually mentioned my pet peeve in that post because i was too caught up in it, but i meant to say that it annoys the shitake outta me how there is this double standard between annoying omnis and annoying vegans. Why is it okay for them to call my food gross, but if i do it i'm a Nazi vegan? There is a real good quotation in Sexual Politics of Meat about both groups (veggies and omnis) having the same bias, just their bias is supported by the majority population. Since they're the majority, it's okay for them to say my sandwich is gross and yell at me if i say meat is slimy. Ugh. I just wanna eat my freakin non-cruel vegetable sandwich without being harassed by my friend's meat-worshiping aunts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I really liked that book and had always wondered the same thing.

I know someone who thinks if I ate chicken, I would start eating eating chicken because it tastes good. Like one I don't care if it tastes good, (which it never did to me), I'm not eating a dead animal. Two, chocolate tastes good too, therefore everyone should stop eating chicken and start eating chocolate, right? At least by his logic.

I have another friend who was going on about how she finally had tofu that tasted good. So now she wants to eat tofu. But her whole reasoning is to lose weight, but she doesn't want to give up burgers and pizza. So she's somehow thinking that if she eats lots of tofu she can plan a diet around being able to eat burgers and pizza? But while I'm biting my tongue about how she's not going to lose weight if she's still eating fatty food all the time, I'm also telling her that food that cooked good tastes good, and food that isn't doesn't, like you've had a bad hamburger before right. And she's like well yea, but no, even if it's bad it's still good because it's meat. so like basically it's ok for meat to taste bad, because it's meat, but tofu has to taste good all the time....because?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

annabazoo wrote:
Chicki wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

Haha yes! At least they don't put steak or weird milk products in margarita mix.
How much do you want to bet that some psychopath has invented the bacon margarita? Along similar lines, I was having lunch with a friend at a local Mexican place and their guacamole of the day featured - wait for it - bacon and gorgonzola. I mean, why would anyone do that to guacamole??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have an amazingly sweet co-worker who brought back some chocolate from vacation, and he wanted to share with me, but it all had milk fat or something. Fine, no big deal. But it's the way he says it like, oh, well you could take one for a special treat. Nope. Not how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:18 am 
Discovered unobtainium

D called it.

http://simple-cocktails.com/2012/09/jal ... margarita/

But! They are probably vegan since the Torani syrup might be, so no need to jump off the vegan ship for bacon margaritas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:41 am 

Bacon margaritas sounds like salty crushed ice. I'll pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

a german vegan blogger just turned ex-vegan. and it was the same bs as always. and of course in the next entry she spoke of "those few comments that hurt". Oh shut up, i linked to the vegan rd, no need to cry about it.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:53 am 
***LIES!!!***

Alaina wrote:
I'm also telling her that food that cooked good tastes good, and food that isn't doesn't, like you've had a bad hamburger before right. And she's like well yea, but no, even if it's bad it's still good because it's meat. so like basically it's ok for meat to taste bad, because it's meat, but tofu has to taste good all the time....because?

My husband awhile back started noticing that every time he ate chicken he was disappointed. It just never tasted all that great and he actually much preferred to eat Boca chik'n patties instead for his chewy/meaty/salty fix. I don't think people notice how often their food just doesn't taste very good. I posted in the Vegan Awesomes thread about going out to a vegan restaurant with coworkers - the very anti-vegan one could not stop talking about how good the food was and how vegetables cooked without meat have some kind of special magical flavor (I said - they taste like vegetables, that's what vegetables taste like). She was beside herself trying to figure out how they made the food taste so good. I couldn't help but think her diet must be pretty disappointing most of the time.

On the other hand, I don't think I ever ate a less than delicious meat burger. Fat content and umami cover a lot of cooking sins. But I didn't give up meat because I didn't like the taste, so whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

lavawitch wrote:

But! They are probably vegan since the Torani syrup might be, so no need to jump off the vegan ship for bacon margaritas.

yup - that syrup is vegan! i have it in my kitchen!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 547  Next