| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Try it and let us know how good/gross it is. I'm morbidly fascinated by all these bacon things, but don't actually want to try them.

My mom made maple bacon doughnuts. I was amazed that she liked them and I didn't. We used the coconut bacon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Just spent £90 as our family's share at a seafood resterant.
Here are some of the things I didn't say:
1. This place stinks of old fishy oil
2. Do not apologise for my veganism Sister-in-Law
3. Also do not describe it as a variety of 'picky eating'
4. Oh manager/waitress, you were so helpful when I emailed to organise something I could eat. You know what I did? I got my hopes up.
5. Oh manager/waitress thank you for making me a special salad for a starter. A note for the future- vegans can eat dressing.
6. Thank you also for making the 'veggie paella' vegan, but seriously what are you putting in the vegetarian version, beef stock?!
7. How could vegetables and rice in a pot taste of absolutely nothing at all?! There should be some flavour surely, how did you suck it out?!
8. I was really hungry but I still couldn't eat it- not because it was disgusting, because it was so forking morning I just lost the will to lift my fork.
9. My husband tried some and described it as 'ricey'. Yup.
10. 'Saffron rice' has saffron in it, you can't just dye it yellow.
11. Awesome score bringing the vegan paella first time with mussels on top. Thank you (seriously) for making a completely new one, though I suspect a longer cooking time might have created some flavour and less crunchy rice.
12. I wish I hadn't contacted you in advance and had just eaten fries and gin (and made husband drive)
13. I shan't be coming back, sorry I just smiled weakly and thanked you. Probably I should have been tactful but honest but I just wanted to get home for a large beer and something to eat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

14. Ps my omni husband said his food sucked too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Being at a two week intensive dance course and having the same forking conversations every forking day about:
- "Poor you! How hard it must be being vegan!"
- "But you must be deficient in protein/vitamin B12/calcium/whatever else just springs to mind if you don't eat forktons of meat/dairy/eggs every day to keep going!"
- "There's so little you can eat! You must spend all your time miserable/checking labels/hungry."
- "I could never be vegan!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Ariann wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I'm also telling her that food that cooked good tastes good, and food that isn't doesn't, like you've had a bad hamburger before right. And she's like well yea, but no, even if it's bad it's still good because it's meat. so like basically it's ok for meat to taste bad, because it's meat, but tofu has to taste good all the time....because?

My husband awhile back started noticing that every time he ate chicken he was disappointed. It just never tasted all that great and he actually much preferred to eat Boca chik'n patties instead for his chewy/meaty/salty fix. I don't think people notice how often their food just doesn't taste very good. I posted in the Vegan Awesomes thread about going out to a vegan restaurant with coworkers - the very anti-vegan one could not stop talking about how good the food was and how vegetables cooked without meat have some kind of special magical flavor (I said - they taste like vegetables, that's what vegetables taste like). She was beside herself trying to figure out how they made the food taste so good. I couldn't help but think her diet must be pretty disappointing most of the time.

On the other hand, I don't think I ever ate a less than delicious meat burger. Fat content and umami cover a lot of cooking sins. But I didn't give up meat because I didn't like the taste, so whatever.

Yea that was my friend with the tofu that tasted good. It's not meat it's tofu and it tastes good so they obviously did something magical!
I can't get how you wouldn't notice your food doesn't taste good. I always notice that. I eat it anyway cause I hate wasting food, but I notice it.
There's a diner where I am that my boyfriend said made a pretty not good burger. I guess if you work at it fat and umami can't cover up everything. They also served me spaghetti and marinara that looked gray. So it was the first and last time we went there.
I guess I just don't get the high expectations of vegan food having to taste good all the time, when there are plenty of bad tasting meaty things out there, but it's ok if they taste bad?
And that's so sad if you've never had vegetables that tasted good! And how is that even possible when you can eat so many of them raw? But probably a lot of people don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Evolution! Don't know if they cater, but we had ranchos cater a party for us and it was great.

Also, I would think that Loving Hut could cater the shiitake out of something even if it was all special rolls and spring rolls.

Evolution is just inconsistent. I love hate it and totally miss Kung Food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am kind of tired of explaining things to people, even non-judgmental well-meaning people. Like the other day a co-worker was like "salad for breakfast?" And I was, because I've been working 70 hours a week, the salad was already made and easy to grab, and all of the bread we have in our work kitchen has high fructose corn syrup, a litany of unpronouncable shiitake, and probably non-vegan crepe in it. And I will eat any type of food for breakfast anyway.
he then proceeds to say "yeah, I guess you really can't eat anything for breakfast except for fruit." I was too tired to go into any type of explanation but what I really wanted to say is that I can* eat pretty much anything, because there are foods like oatmeal and most other things are easily veganize-able. Like pancakes for instance. But I didn't, and afterwards I sort of felt bad for being a crappy ambassador. I don't want to lecture but I want to clear up this misconceptions (if in context) that veganism is all about sacrifice and that we eat nothing but sad small plates of plain lettuce and canned beans. Do you all bother in such situations? Because I'm getting to the point where its kind of exhausting at times.

(I asterisked "can" because I hate that term. I can eat anything I want I just choose not to.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

emmalv wrote:
I am kind of tired of explaining things to people, even non-judgmental well-meaning people. Like the other day a co-worker was like "salad for breakfast?" And I was, because I've been working 70 hours a week, the salad was already made and easy to grab, and all of the bread we have in our work kitchen has high fructose corn syrup, a litany of unpronouncable shiitake, and probably non-vegan crepe in it. And I will eat any type of food for breakfast anyway.
he then proceeds to say "yeah, I guess you really can't eat anything for breakfast except for fruit." I was too tired to go into any type of explanation but what I really wanted to say is that I can* eat pretty much anything, because there are foods like oatmeal and most other things are easily veganize-able. Like pancakes for instance. But I didn't, and afterwards I sort of felt bad for being a crappy ambassador. I don't want to lecture but I want to clear up this misconceptions (if in context) that veganism is all about sacrifice and that we eat nothing but sad small plates of plain lettuce and canned beans. Do you all bother in such situations? Because I'm getting to the point where its kind of exhausting at times.

(I asterisked "can" because I hate that term. I can eat anything I want I just choose not to.)

I'd probably just be like I can eat whatever I want and this is what I wanted. I like salad. Like who cares what you eat for breakfast anyway? I'm planning on making tofu scamble and salad tomorrow for breakfast cause I like leafy crunchy greens.
Yea it's annoying. I never felt like I sacrificed anything. When I went from vegetarian to vegan I felt like I had more food choices then before, ha!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My best friend dates a fisherman and I just can't be around them anymore. I've never said anything to him but me just being a vegan seems to make it so that he can't even say hello to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

emmalv wrote:

yes, this! i dislike it when people apologize for my food, like it's somehow lesser quality?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I rarely to never have to be at the whim of people who aren't accommodating for my husband and me, so it really sucks on the occasion that it actually happens. We got up early to go do the pride walk in Tennessee summer heat with my mom's partner. By the time it was over, we were all sweaty and thirsty and starving. She suggested a couple places that we would actually be able to find something to eat, and everyone was okay with them except her sister. Sis was super insistent that we go somewhere that her picky asparagus 15 year old (who didn't even really seem to care) would find something he liked. I hate to be that person who's like "BUT I'M REALLY HUNGRY AND WOULD LIKE TO EAT SOMETHING," so my input was just "Do what you want to do. We'll eat if there's something on the menu for us." There was literally nothing we could eat except a plain baked potato, so we just had a couple beers and went out by ourselves for vegan sammiches afterwards. It just amazes me that she would be so insistent that two adults in the group have absolutely nothing to eat for lunch so that her kid could have half of a dry chicken sandwich instead. She's generally pretty dramatic and demanding, so I guess I should've spoken up if I cared that much. I just expect more out of people.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The characterization of ethical vegans as PETA-card carrying, red-paint throwing extremists in this article: Are You Vegan or Are You Plant Based?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh, just the title fills me with rage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 am 
Semen Strong

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ugh, just the title fills me with rage.

Clearly, you're vegan :D

Quote:
"However, vegan vitriol, it scares people away from even trying it,” says Alex Jamieson.

::rolls eyes:: Didn't scare you away from making money off it though!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:45 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I really want to post some shiitake about this Amazon selling foie gras bs but my boyfriend's brother works there. and I work in publishing so I've already posted pre-him being hired there rage things sooo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:04 am 
WELFARIST!

lepelaar wrote:

Neither- I'm carbon based.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:24 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

Neither- I'm carbon based.
Vitriol-based!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:
The characterization of ethical vegans as PETA-card carrying, red-paint throwing extremists in this article: Are You Vegan or Are You Plant Based?

I hate everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

Vegans who leave bad ratings and reviews for vegan food they don't find healthy or organic enough for them and leave stupid comments like this:
Quote:
Listen,I want to buy this, I really do,but the amt of salt in it means I can't I don't know what the manufactures need to know besides the fact that the public is overweight, with High Blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. Can you companies give us a breat?? I only buy Amy's products that say Low Sodium and they are listed at HIGHER PRICES. COME ON GIVE US A BREAk. If we drop dead there will be less vegans buying your food.

and this:
Quote:
I am a big fan of Daiya and appreciate how they have made being vegan a lot easier. But unlike their shreds and wedges, these new slices contain carrageenan which has been linked to stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. Wish they could stick to their original recipe and do without that ingredient! In the meantime, I'll just keep slicing my wedges.

All I want to know is if it tastes good! If you don't like an ingredient or it's not healthy enough for you, fine! Don't eat it! But don't take it as an opportunity to stand on your soap box and complain about everything you don't like in life. Just don't eat it and be on your way!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hazel wrote:
...if you're an actor they'll tell you about their high-school play in which they played a haybale ...

I would really like to see that play.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Vegans who leave bad ratings and reviews for vegan food they don't find healthy or organic enough for them and leave stupid comments like this:
Quote:
Listen,I want to buy this, I really do,but the amt of salt in it means I can't I don't know what the manufactures need to know besides the fact that the public is overweight, with High Blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. Can you companies give us a breat?? I only buy Amy's products that say Low Sodium and they are listed at HIGHER PRICES. COME ON GIVE US A BREAk. If we drop dead there will be less vegans buying your food.

and this:
Quote:
I am a big fan of Daiya and appreciate how they have made being vegan a lot easier. But unlike their shreds and wedges, these new slices contain carrageenan which has been linked to stomach ulcers and stomach cancer. Wish they could stick to their original recipe and do without that ingredient! In the meantime, I'll just keep slicing my wedges.

All I want to know is if it tastes good! If you don't like an ingredient or it's not healthy enough for you, fine! Don't eat it! But don't take it as an opportunity to stand on your soap box and complain about everything you don't like in life. Just don't eat it and be on your way!

This is annoying as balls, even reviews that are like "I don't buy processed food, BUT..." I mean, I'll maybe address sodium or fat or something if it's relevant to my experience with a product, but not in a judgmental way, and definitely not shiitake that hasn't been proven, like all the carrageenan scare-mongering crepe out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:11 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

creep wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

I hate everything.

This and all of the comments before it are making me lol. I have the article open but I just keep skimming and seeing sentences followed by red EVERYWHERE.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm having trouble finding a replacement milk that I like. One grocery store was having a sale on Silk Almond, but they were out of unsweetened original. FWP? The carrangeenan got me thinking about it again. I wish I knew what was in the milks that I don't like. For now I'm blaming carrangeenan because I'm hip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

Well, what is it about the milks that you don't like? Texture, too sweet, too watery?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That would be the practical thing to consider, Mr. Shankly. So of course I have no use for it.

I think it's mostly a texture thing. Maybe a sweetness too? WF unsweetened almond was smooth, relatively thin, but not rice milk thin or watery, and I don't know. It just tastes like milk to me. And like almonds.

ETA: The WF unsweetened soy milk is pretty good. I'm still going to be grumpy though and tell kids to get off my lawn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13008 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239 ... 521  Next