| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 425  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

These sorts of people are the perfect audience for plush pets and plush pets only.

My heart is sad for that duck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh for fork's sake. Guess what? Boyfriend's BIL has also talked a friend into getting a duck for HER kid to play with, too. Great.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

As the parent of a toddler I find this almost hilariously absurd, it's such a dumb idea. Like I don't have enough creatures running around shitting all over the place! Ahahahhahhahahaa.

I suppose it is not at all funny for the poor duck though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

In my school we used cows' livers. They stank so much and no one in my group would touch them so I had to do it. Later that day I was eating a sandwich (I was alreay vegetarian for years at this point) and I could still smell it. I felt so sick.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:

I guess bringing this back to pet peeves, I think these dissections turn a lot of people off of classes they might otherwise take. My sister didn't take AP bio because at her school it meant a cat dissection.

This. I actually loved biology and had a really high grade in it. In high school I wanted to be a cetacean biologist. Then it came to dissection (worms, frogs, and fetal pigs, with the promise of cats if I were to continue on to AP) and I freaked out. I started skipping class for the first (and only) time in my life. My parents got called in and we had a whole conference about the situation. I wanted out completely, but there was no way they were going to let me do that and still pass. The compromise that was made was that my lab partner would do all the actual physical dissection but I had to be there to observe and take notes. Still wasn't happy about this and it scared me off from pursuing a career in the biological sciences. I ended up studying art history in college. Now in my 40s, I really think I've got more of a head for the sciences than for the humanities (I've since done a masters in archaeology and focused more on the science end of things) and I wish I had persevered and found a way to continue while conscientiously objecting to dissection.

Jigglypuff wrote:
(warning: mention of sad animal death) My boyfriend's sister and BIL got a new duck for her toddler to play with. The last one died after running into something and breaking her neck. I really, really hope it dawns on them that animals are not playthings. I can't imagine that the poor creature is very happy in a random yard with a German shepherd, a grabby kid, and no pond or duck family.

This is just awful. I don't know what your relationship with them is like or if you'd even have the opportunity, but is there any way you could say something to them about this? I hate how so many people seem to consider birds (especially fowl) as disposable pets.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:35 am 

I wanted to study biology when I was a teenager. It was my favourite subject. Then we got another weird teacher (the one where we used cows' livers & had a "live" human fetus ) who was so horrible. My grades got bad and I got so insecure about biology. I blame him for me not studying a sciency subject...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

A popular German vegan cookbook author calls his newest book "Vegan Forever Young". He smartly branded the combination of healthful eating and exercise "triet". Introducing this brand new concept, he claims a temporary (!) vegan diet "free from chemical addititives" will not only make you lose weight. Most diet related chronical diseases will be cured after 30 days. And if you follow the "triet" you can turn around ageing processes in your own body. Scientifically proven!!!

I hate, hate, hate how veganism is exploted for this kind of shiitake so much lately. I cannot turn a corner anymore without seeing "veganism makes you skinny and lets you poop gold nuggets" claims everywhere. So frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:35 am 

oh, no, i havent heard the name of it yet but.. argh! mihl I read your last blog post and I agree 100 %. I was just too depressed to leave a comment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:03 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

On a happy news in the dissection front, it has been the law in California that students have to be given an alternate assignment if they object to dissection for almost 20 years. It wasn't law yet when I took physiology, but my teacher happily let anyone who wanted to go to the library and do something else during the fetal pic dissection day. Maybe it's better other places too now. I hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:10 am 
Discovered unobtainium

annak wrote:
"a new duck for her toddler to play with"?

a NEW duck for her toddler to play with?
a new DUCK for her toddler to play with?
a new duck for her TODDLER to play with?
a new duck for her toddler to PLAY WITH?

There, now I have expressed my incredulity at each individual detail.

Nice summary of the only possible response(s).

They do dissections at my school. I hate it--so unnecessary. The vet schools don't even do all those live dissections anymore. One of the vet students here maybe will chime in with more details, but my friend at the VT school said its rare and only for specific purposes. If they don't need to do them, why the heck do high school students? The research even shows that virtual dissections are more (or as) meaningful as an educational tool. Lots of peer reviewed studies on this is the science education literature.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That's great that they're giving students that option now in CA! I really wish I'd had that option back in the day. I would have happily studied an anatomical atlas from front to back as an alternative.

I also just remembered that making matters worse during the module on dissection, some of the kids thought it was funny to chase me around with their dissected fetal pigs and do horrible things with the organs to "gross me out" and the teacher seemed ok with this. Urhg... memories.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:19 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm sure kids have the option to opt out, but most kids don't. I have no idea what would happen if a teacher wanted to opt out. I'm guessing it might cause a shiitake storm, at least in parent complaints alone.

The last thing we dissected in my class was a soil sample, so ethical qualms were kept to a minimum (mostly whiny kids who don't like getting their hands dirty--who doesn't want to play in mud in science class?!)? I mean, sheesh, I'm the nail polish queen and always have nails as perfect as I can get them (I'm not Kitteh!) and I don't mind digging in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

When I took AP bio my junior year, after the AP test was over and we basically weren't doing any coursework anymore, the teacher let students dissect whatever they wanted from the closet. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

mandycoot wrote:
When I took AP bio my junior year, after the AP test was over and we basically weren't doing any coursework anymore, the teacher let students dissect whatever they wanted from the closet. Ridiculous.

Yeah, pretty much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I had no idea about this duck trend. Well it looks like I might have to let some monkeys and pythons into the wild so I can make room for ducks then.

It really is hard keeping up with the Jonses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am 
WELFARIST!

I agree with Annak on all points regarding the duck thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 am 

annak wrote:

well said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

annak wrote:

Quoting along with everyone else because everything. My brain hurts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lavawitch wrote:
I'm sure kids have the option to opt out, but most kids don't. I have no idea what would happen if a teacher wanted to opt out. I'm guessing it might cause a shiitake storm.

When my husband was in graduate school 30+ years ago he was a TA for Intro Biology. For anything he had to demo he would go out and find roadkill to use. For any of his students who wanted to opt out of "required" dissections he worked out a procedure for them to do a paper version/diagram from book references. He almost got thrown out of the his Zoology PhD program, in a formal hearing/vote with the whole department, but he won out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This isn't really a vegan pet peeve, per se...more of a runner pet peeve...but it goes with ducks.

People who drop off pet ducks at a park when they don't want them anymore, leading to hundreds of ducks living in this park...and people who bring their kids to feed the ducks bread at the park and chase them around and generally be mean...which leads to the ducks trying to chase me when I run at the park, and getting all mad when I don't have food for them. Pretty sure bread isn't a part of a duck's natural diet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

Daiya gas. When I eat daiya, even in small amounts over time it gives me massive pains and bloats me. It makes it difficult for me to walk and it just overall gives me a huge amount of pain. I guess it's not just daiya, though. The TJ's cheese did that to me, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'd be looking for a common ingredient between the two -- sounds like you have a sensitivity or allergy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
WRETCHED

I think a lot of people have complained of stomach issues with Daiya.. I even thought someone called it the Daiyas or Daiyarea or something hah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

karichelle wrote:
This isn't really a vegan pet peeve, per se...more of a runner pet peeve...but it goes with ducks.

People who drop off pet ducks at a park when they don't want them anymore, leading to hundreds of ducks living in this park...and people who bring their kids to feed the ducks bread at the park and chase them around and generally be mean...which leads to the ducks trying to chase me when I run at the park, and getting all mad when I don't have food for them. Pretty sure bread isn't a part of a duck's natural diet.

This! The ducks aren't as bad for me as the gooses. I wish I could remember what I read exactly and where I read it, but it said something a long the lines of if you're going to feed the ducks, you should give them fruit or veg, because white bread really is not natural for them and difficult for them to digest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Speaking of Daiya, AMERICAN FLATBREAD IS GOING BACK TO DAIYA! I am so excited. I should probably post this in vegan pet awesomes, but I was talking about it here, I think.

Anyway, yes to the horrible gas. Although most stuff gives me horrible gas. I'm super fun to live with.

Reply to topic  [ 10621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 425  Next