| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 481  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made massive amounts of food for a party my boyfriend threw, and almost none of it got eaten. I mean, I figured people would mostly be eating the huge hunks of meat available, but all of my lovely sides (potato salad, quinoa salad, panzanella) were shunned in favor of mac and cheese and bacony potato casserole. Le sigh. People did like the dip I made though. I did not tell anyone that it had nooch in it, so that probably helped.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

On the yogurt tip, I am annoyed that So Delicious doesn't make big tubs on the greek almond yogurt. I go through that stuff with terrifying speed, and I hate all the plastic packaging I leave in my wake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

^ I bought some of that today! I really like it.

And actually, the WholeSoy shortage led to me meeting a delightful vegan woman in the yogurt section and discussing our other options. It was pretty awesome, because where I live I never just randomly meet other vegans out in the wild.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I bought some Almond Dream yogurt today at Earth Fare....hope it's good because I got 5. LOL It was priced pretty good...$1.59 each. Better than $1.99 for the So Delicious almond or coconut.

But I really hate spending 4 of my Weight Watchers points on 6 oz of yogurt when I can get a whole cup of unsweetened plain for 2 and put my own Stevia in it with fruit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Remember the duck thing I posted about in this thread? Well I found out last night that my boyfriend's sister and BIL got rid of their puppy a few months ago because they "couldn't take care of it anymore." Today they're giving their two-year-old a new puppy for her birthday. They're not going to get it spayed so they can have more puppies later. what the fizzle.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 pm 
Grandfathered In

They suck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:40 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FootFace wrote:
They suck.

yeah. i mean, i could say a lot of things, but it would all amount to this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Jigglypuff wrote:
Remember the duck thing I posted about in this thread? Well I found out last night that my boyfriend's sister and BIL got rid of their puppy a few months ago because they "couldn't take care of it anymore." Today they're giving their two-year-old a new puppy for her birthday. They're not going to get it spayed so they can have more puppies later. what the fizzle.

I am basically waiting for this exact scenario to happen in my family (well not the ducks, the dogs).

I think it might be one subpart of an ongoing wager with my husband, and so far I am batting 100.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

jordanpattern wrote:
On the yogurt tip, I am annoyed that So Delicious doesn't make big tubs on the greek almond yogurt. I go through that stuff with terrifying speed, and I hate all the plastic packaging I leave in my wake.

Our HFS got those in once and I was so excited to try it...They were over $3 each! I know that cannot be the case everywhere.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mrsbadmouth wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Our HFS got those in once and I was so excited to try it...They were over $3 each! I know that cannot be the case everywhere.

They definitely weren't that much at WF when I got them, but they may have been on sale. I think 2/$2? I don't know, but it's ruined me for other yogurts because now I expect yogurt to have 7 grams of protein, ha! I will buy and delight in Whole Soy lemon again for sure though, regardless of protein.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

the word "plantstrong".... uhhhh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We went to a family dinner last night, and my father-in-law made the caesar salad vegan for us (pet awesome not peeve!) But husband's aunt asked us what's in normal caesar that we wouldn't eat, so we list off anchovies, egg, etc. I KNOW that she knows what vegan means, because I'm sure we've had the conversation a billion times. She can be argumentative in general, and I think maybe she was just bored? Anyway, she's like "You don't eat anchovies?" I tell her we don't eat animals, just to keep it simple. "But anchovies, that's fish!" Most confusing thing ever, so I just say "Fish are animals," and she looks like she's having to think really hard, then says "Well okay."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

In an attempt to look as sad as possible about my lunch, I'm bringing half frozen soup with the knowledge that there may not be a microwave available. That'll teach 'em to not provide lunch for me. Or something.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Enough about bloody yoghurt, already!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Ruby Rose wrote:

Hahaha! You said what I was thinking.
Maybe there needs to be a separate thread for The Great American Yogurt Crisis of 2013.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

veg restaurants that don't have any sharp knives. I encounter this all the time, I can only assume they think we don't need them because all plant food is soft and can be cut with a butter knife, but that is really not the case.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 am 
Chard Martyr

Quarantined wrote:
veg restaurants that don't have any sharp knives. I encounter this all the time, I can only assume they think we don't need them because all plant food is soft and can be cut with a butter knife, but that is really not the case.

Ha, that's totally true. I recently found myself trying to cut through a whole roasted grilled leek with a crepe knife and I ended up throwing my fork at my husband accidentally.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am 

Ruby Rose wrote:

That's a little harsh and a revolting visual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am 
WELFARIST!

Quarantined wrote:

Yes!

ndpittman wrote:
revolting visual.

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Whole Soy Lemon-Blood Yogurt!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:06 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

ndpittman wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

They definitely weren't that much at WF when I got them, but they may have been on sale. I think 2/$2? I don't know, but it's ruined me for other yogurts because now I expect yogurt to have 7 grams of protein, ha! I will buy and delight in Whole Soy lemon again for sure though, regardless of protein.

@MBM: They're still expensive here, but not $3 each.

@NDP: Most soy yogurt has about that much protein.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 am 

Thanks, jordanpattern! I was looking at Almond Dream, and it only had 1g!

I've been my own vegan pet peeve lately. Veg-curious people have been asking me, "So, what do you eat?" And my response is mostly, "Um, I don't know. Food?" I wish I had a better answer, but I'm depressed and don't like to cook for myself, so I eat a lot of sandwiches, frozen dinners, cereal, etc. I did make mention of Appetite for Reduction. I feel like a good vegan ambassador would have a response that just makes people drool thinking of all of the culinary delights they'll get to experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Chicki wrote:
Unfortunately, I have experienced many peeves this long, long long week. Including ignorant coworkers and eating nothing but a bag of chips one day.

But the stupidest was a very posh restaurant I had lunch at, that had a farro risotto on the menu labeled as vegan and gluten free.

It had cheese and soy sauce in it. It even said: with Parmesan cheese, right next to the vegan symbol. What the huh? Who made that menu?

I just got it without cheese. But what if i was GF (or anyone else that orders that) and got sick? It was the only gluten free item on the menu too.

Stupid restaurants jumping on the food fad bandwagon without doing any kind of research. Considering my tiny-ass plate of farro and veggies was $30, you would think they would pay a little more attention to details.

The risotto was ok btw. Not great, but ok.

I'm so confused. Isn't farro a type of wheat? How can farro anything be gluten free?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I usually tell people "Fruit, veggies, beans, whole grains, tofu, cupcakes! Everything you eat, but without the animals products.", but somedays what I actually eat are bananas and pb & J's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 am 
WELFARIST!

Does anyone actually think that much about what they eat? I mean, really. If you go up to any person and ask them what they eat, what would they say? Probably the same thing, "Um, food. I eat food, you weird person asking me what I eat."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245 ... 481  Next