| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 506  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:11 am 
Tofu Pup

Went to a popular chain restaurant and ordered the spaghetti squash. Luckily, I thought to ask if it was prepared with butter. Sure enough, they did and were unable to give it to me without butter. Why do they do that? Why even offer spaghetti squash? I wish I could just stop eating out altogether. Unfortunately, my non-vegan wife loves eating out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went mattress window shopping yesterday because my mattress was a cheapy one that I got 7years ago and really doesn't give the correct support for my dodgy back. Most of the good supportive ones included cashmere and silk. Like why? Seriously why?

As for the sofas..... any that didn't have leather were stuffed with feathers?! Like what use is a sofa stuffed with feathers?!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
As for the sofas..... any that didn't have leather were stuffed with feathers?! Like what use is a sofa stuffed with feathers?!!

Ack, a feather-stuffed sofa?! Aside from not being vegan, that sounds like it would be comfortable for like a week before it was straight smushed. How ridiculous!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

atkinsaj wrote:
Why even offer spaghetti squash?

Good question. That's a weird menu item.

atkinsaj wrote:
Unfortunately, my non-vegan wife loves eating out.

Hiyo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ashley wrote:
They take down your driver's license number even when you have your receipt. Like a criminal or something.

What kind of fuckery is that? Is that even legal?! You are returning a pillow, not renting a vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

There are two Ross stores here...one of them in a high income neighborhood and one in a not-so-high income neighborhood. The latter really knows how to make you feel like a criminal, with security officers in cop uniforms standing at both doors full time. The former, has the security officer dressed in the same vest the cashiers are wearing, his just says loss prevention. He still has to stand there, but he's more of a greeter, putting carts back, saying hi to you when you come in, etc. The guy at the other store stands there like Billy Bad Asparagus and just looks you up and down when you come in and doesn't say a word. He stared at me the entire time I was in the shoe section and almost made me scared to go get a basket when I didn't want to carry a pair of shoes through the store while I looked at everything else.

The difference between the "feel" of the two stores is like night and day, even though the merchandise is the same and the layout is the same...like night and day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:36 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I worked at a Ross very briefly (like 2 months) right after college and they treated the employees like potential criminals too. We weren't allowed to leave the store without having our bags searched, couldn't make purchases without being rung up by a manager, etc. It was demeaning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Actually, YEARS ago, I worked at Canada's Ross (Winners) and we had to have our bags and purses checked every time we left the store. Even if it was for 15 minutes to sprint to the food court! God, I hate that kind of thing. It doesn't inspire any sense of pride or loyalty in the employee, just resentment. (DERAIL SORRY)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

vijita wrote:
ashley wrote:
They take down your driver's license number even when you have your receipt. Like a criminal or something.

What kind of fuckery is that? Is that even legal?! You are returning a pillow, not renting a vehicle.

Seriously, what the fizzle? What if you don't have a driver's license?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Barnes and Noble copied my id # too when I returned an item with a receipt too.

Pet peeve: dairy in otherwise vegan potato chips.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

lepelaar wrote:
vijita wrote:
ashley wrote:

Seriously, what the fizzle? What if you don't have a driver's license?

I guess you're out of luck then! I'm not sure, actually. The computer requires a DL license number in order to move forward with the return. I only did a couple of them when I worked there, so I never an into that situation. Maybe they enter a dummy number. Or maybe you really are just stuck with whatever you bought.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

vijita wrote:
ashley wrote:

They keep track of returns by ID # in order to spot fraud patterns. If you make a large number of returns (even across several different stores), it will show up on your credit report, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bodhi wrote:
daisychain wrote:

Ack, a feather-stuffed sofa?! Aside from not being vegan, that sounds like it would be comfortable for like a week before it was straight smushed. How ridiculous!

I know. As it was it had incredibly crepe back support so after a bit of lounging around it would just be the pits. I did manage to find the perfect sofa in exactly the shade I want but it was at a serious discount so I doubt I will have the money back from work (if they give me the backpay for what I should have been getting) in time to get it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Seriously, what the fizzle? What if you don't have a driver's license?[/quote]
I guess you're out of luck then! I'm not sure, actually. The computer requires a DL license number in order to move forward with the return. I only did a couple of them when I worked there, so I never an into that situation. Maybe they enter a dummy number. Or maybe you really are just stuck with whatever you bought.[/quote]

A number of adults don't have licenses (including both of my parents). Usually people get state ID cards. They look and function very similar to a license, including having a number, you just can't drive with it. People who don't drive still have to prove who they are/how old they are just like the rest of us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's what I have and whenever a driver license number is required they just use my state id number.

Not everyone has that either though. For a long time I had no good ID. I applied for medicaid stamps because it required so little and I got a valid state id from that but for a few years I had nothing at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes, it's certainly difficult to not have any type of state ID or no ID at all. Even my friends who don't have them but have a passport or green card run into problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't think it's that difficult to go without an ID. The only time I ever use my ID is when I buy alcohol which is very rarely.

Anyway, I was given a down comforter when I was younger and I hated it. All it did was stab me all night and after about two nights with it, it was pretty flat and useless. I don't understand why people still use down. And what is the point in having a silk bed? You're just going to cover it with sheets anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's difficult if you need to open a bank account or travel or check into a hotel. It's also possible to be arrested for not having it in NYC.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Silk is a good insulator, although I'd think that would be bad in a bed. Mattresses are usually too warm, not too cold.

This makes me a bad vegan, but my husband and I use a down comforter he has owned for nearly twenty years (we met ten years ago). It is extremely comfortable. I am treating it the same way I did my leather shoes and silk blouses, using it until it is no longer usable then finding a vegan replacement. A related vegan pet peeve - we stayed at a "vegan" bed and breakfast in new paltz, ny that had down comforters on the beds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't think it's that difficult to go without an ID. The only time I ever use my ID is when I buy alcohol which is very rarely.

Anyway, I was given a down comforter when I was younger and I hated it. All it did was stab me all night and after about two nights with it, it was pretty flat and useless. I don't understand why people still use down. And what is the point in having a silk bed? You're just going to cover it with sheets anyway.

no bank accounts, no job (even my part time jobs in the past 10 yrs have all required direct deposit as a condition of employment), no library cards, no credit check to rent a place, hell, in my college town, you had to give them your id while you toured apartments at most complexes. I don't know how anybody can do anything without a drivers license or state id.

(This is why I don't understand the hullabaloo about voter id laws--we have always had to show id of some kind to vote in VA. It can just be your voter registration card, but you can't get that without a photo id. I know that the get out the vote crowd and others help people register to vote (including get an id if needed), but I've never heard of it being a barrier to people voting here.)

My favorite little pillow is down filled, but its older than I am! I guess I've dragged it around through dozens of moves as a security pillow. I don't understand down--the synthetic versions are much cheaper and better quality, so what is the rationale?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh man, the feather thing.

This has happened to me twice in recent years. 8 or 9 years ago, I bought a coat online that said "polyester" and only realized it was stuffed with down when I got stuck in a sleeting mess and smelled like DOG for my entire train ride home from school.

In the next, we looked at I can't even tell you how many sofas at 80 million furniture stores, finally found one we loved, made sure to get it microfiber, it didn't even occur to me that anyone would make a down couch. Well, a couple months later I'm all "why is there a feather poking out of my couch?" *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I would never have thought to check a sofa either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

What LW said about IDs. It is harder and harder to do anything without a lot of documentation. Sure, it might be easy to run to the grocery store, go to work/school without an ID in hand, but that's provided you do have an id in the first place, which allows you to do things like get a job, register for school, access state/federal benefits & aid, have a bank account, get a place to live etc. It's also provided you are not part of a marginalized group (for example homeless or POC) whom cops are inclined to harrass and demand ids from.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

lavawitch wrote:
(This is why I don't understand the hullabaloo about voter id laws--we have always had to show id of some kind to vote in VA. It can just be your voter registration card, but you can't get that without a photo id.

WHAT???? You are blowing my mind and I cannot fathom how that could be okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

There should be better resources to help people get ids. I don't understand why this isn't more of a focus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249 ... 506  Next