| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This happened to me at a Japanese place with dumplings. They comped our whole meal, probably because it was downstairs in our building and we ate their a lot. The owner was also a very nice guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Whoa Desdemona I can't believe they charged you! Brian and I went out with a group once and I ordered their spring rolls sans shrimp - I bit into one and it was clearly chicken, which was not mentioned in the menu description. I already had two other things to eat, so when I went to the bathroom I told Brian to tell the waitress that I just didn't want them because they took a long time to make anyway. She apologized to me when I came back and asked if I was sure I didn't want new ones, and then she took them off of the bill.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:24 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This thread is making me anxious about eating at omni restaurants, which I do often. Meat bites have happened before...re-order and get a different meat.

I try to repress these memories.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:28 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Whoa Desdemona I can't believe they charged you! Brian and I went out with a group once and I ordered their spring rolls sans shrimp - I bit into one and it was clearly chicken, which was not mentioned in the menu description. I already had two other things to eat, so when I went to the bathroom I told Brian to tell the waitress that I just didn't want them because they took a long time to make anyway. She apologized to me when I came back and asked if I was sure I didn't want new ones, and then she took them off of the bill.
Yeah, and the best part was that they charged us for both orders - the first one they got wrong, and the second one they got wrong they got wrong in exactly the same way. At least they're consistent!
Chicki wrote:
This thread is making me anxious about eating at omni restaurants, which I do often.
Yes, it's really disconcerting to hear how often it happens. We just got back from 4 days in and around NYC, which was like a vegan paradise of gluttony. Among other things, we had sit-down meals at Blossom, Candle 79, and Hangawi, fast grab-and-go wraps and onion rings at Blossom du Jour...and everything was vegan so we didn't even have to think about it. It makes me wish more than ever that there were more all-vegan establishments (in more places) so that people wouldn't have to find themselves in the position of having something on their plate - or in their mouths - that really shouldn't be there.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I was once brought a hamburger when I had clearly ordered the veggie patty option at Cheddar's (this was when I was vegetarian, in college...I doubt it's vegan but could be wrong). Mom and I had split the huge onion ring appetizer and both ordered burgers (which at the time didn't come with sides) and when they came, they both had the beef patty. I asked if that was the veggie burger (because if it was, it was certainly an impressive stand-in!) and she said, "Oh, no, I'm so sorry"...I then had to wait 15 minutes for my food and mom was completely done by the time I got what I actually ordered.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know it's not my fault, but I felt totally guilty for my friend who had never eaten there taking a big bite of meat, because I ordered them and said "have at it!" Of course, when he came to the table, he was like "you ordered a number 2?" and it looked right, so I said "yep!" Reflecting, I realized the vegetarian ones were the number 3, but I only know what they're called! I didn't memorize the menu item numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Sometimes getting meat/animal products at an omni restaurant is truly a mistake, be it from misunderstanding, not caring, ignorance, language barrier, or whatever. But I do know that there are omni places where the staff take great delight in serving vegans non-vegan food. Even if you think they got your veggie burger right, the cooks may be snickering in the back about how they cooked it in bacon fat (I'm not being cynical.....I've seen and heard it). I don't think I'm missing out on anything by not going to omni restaurants.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's probably true, in the way that it's true that some restaurant employees spit in people's food. I'm sure it's few and far between.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
That's probably true, in the way that it's true that some restaurant employees spit in people's food. I'm sure it's few and far between.

Yeah, I think this is the case. There are a lot of omni places that are really accommodating to vegans, too. I've been to a couple places that will write that you're vegan on your order, stuff like that.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

So I was talking to my boyfriend about going to this new restaurant that has a total of one (1) vegan option on the menu. Which is the norm. For a menu here to have two vegetarian options....it just doesn't happen. Unless you count the garden salad. Anyway, he doesn't eat fish and like maybe 5 or 6 of the dishes on the menu had fish and he's all "they all have fiiiiiish"
mother hubbard.

There are about 10-20 things on that menu that you CAN eat. Stop complaining.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

At a restaurant we've been to quite a few times:

We both ordered 2 different vegan dishes. Mine came with chicken & shrimps. I hate sea food so much that just seeing it on my plate made me sick and I had to run to the bathroom. My boyfriend took my dish then, since he's not vegan. So I ate the other dish and it had beef in it, next to the seitan. We complained about it after I didnt tip (this is Germany, so tipping is optional...) and the guy cursed at me in vietnamese. He then said it was our fault for not saying anything before, and surely i didnt even say it was supposed to be vegan or I was just too quiet. And he kept saying there wasn't beef in the other dish, man, there was! It was just two pieces, but still.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

If I get meat in my food at an omni restaurant I never go back there. I think if a dish is supposed to made of x,y and z, as listed on the menu, then it shouldn't contain other ingredients. It's poor control of what the kitchen is doing. Especially if you've asked questions about what is in the food and stated that you don't eat yadda yadda.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

At an omni place with a big veg section I found chicken in my tofu...They remade my food. The second time it happened, I told them I was not coming back & the food was free...I never went back.

The place we eat at in town almost every weekend is omni....but they are so super clean and concious about vegan needs! Find places that care...

Oh and when Alicia Siverstone does something wonly in the world of vegan motherhood why must it reflect on all of us?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, the manager at Panera was super, super nice after I found bacon in my sandwich, but I have no interest in going there again. I really can't fault her customer service or handling of the matter (she insisted on personally making me a new sandwich, plus insisted on a full refund for the other stuff on the receipt that was perfectly fine and for my coworkers).

I really feel that the bacon was put there on purpose. How do you miss half a slice of bacon on a hummus sandwich?

But, even so, again, they handled it well and showed me that they take vegetarian concerns seriously, so I don't want to malign Panera.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

An otherwise intelligent woman just posted on Facebook:

Quote:
Wait wait wait...... Isn't breast feeding anti-vegan? Mind blown.

I replied, 'No. No it's not.' Gahhhhhh.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't understand how people believe that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:28 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Me either. I'm going to bed and getting a good night's sleep before I have to offer a bunch of obvious answers to silly questions.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Do any of you have friends who are vegan one minute, asking how to veganize things and driving pretty far to vegan-friendly restaurants and raving about vegan cupcakes or whatever, and totally not vegan the next, posting about the burgers they're eating?

I just don't effing get it. I mean, it's fine, I'm not out to convert everyone, but I feel like answering questions is a waste of my time.

Also: you know what I found in between my couch cushions today? An unopened condiment pouch of honey (like what you'd get taco bell hot sauce in, only..honey). I don't know if it was the babysitter or a random visitor or a houseguest or what, but finding nonvegan stuff in my couch cushions is a new one for me. I don't specifically avoid honey for reasons I won't get into here, but it's still -weird-.

ETA: other than, you know, discovering the goose down that I only discovered was in my couch cushions after owning the couch for months, because it didn't even occur to me that I had to worry about the -inside- of the sofa.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Just thought of another thing that's been bugging me lately: the constant charity grubbing at checkouts. I used to not mind this when it was just at the pet store collecting for a local animal shelter. But now it seems like I can't get out of the grocery store or just about any box place without being asked to round up or add a dollar or whatever for some random medical charity du jour. Personally, I don't like to give to medical research charities. I will give to local organizations that directly help people in the community with medical/disability issues, but no research - I don't want to be directly donating to support animal testing.

I am usually given the stinkeye like I'm some sort of grinchy monster for saying "no thank you" when asked if I want to donate, but I like to choose my own charities to support, rather than just contributing to the tax deduction of the corporation at which I happen to be shopping. I wish this odious business of register fundraising would just stop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

annak wrote:
Do any of you have friends who are vegan one minute, asking how to veganize things and driving pretty far to vegan-friendly restaurants and raving about vegan cupcakes or whatever, and totally not vegan the next, posting about the burgers they're eating?

I just don't effing get it. I mean, it's fine, I'm not out to convert everyone, but I feel like answering questions is a waste of my time.

I met someone who told me she was vegan in the course of our conversation. Days later, she's noshing on mac and (dairy) cheese. I didn't say anything because it's not my business what she eats, but I kept seeing her eat non-vegan things over the course of a few weeks. Then, I heard her telling someone else she was vegan, as she ate a burger! I couldn't keep it in any longer, so I said something to the effect of 'meat isn't vegan.' She replied that she's not an obnoxious vegan, and she's not going to 'throw a fit' if there's nothing she can eat at a restaurant (that's apparently why she had the burger), and actually, she's only about 95% vegan anyway. To be perfectly honest I think she believes that veganism makes her seem more interesting, so she throws it out as a conversation starter.

Lady, you're an omnivore. It's okay. Really. Just embrace it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:32 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annak wrote:
I am usually given the stinkeye like I'm some sort of grinchy monster for saying "no thank you" when asked if I want to donate, but I like to choose my own charities to support, rather than just contributing to the tax deduction of the corporation at which I happen to be shopping. I wish this odious business of register fundraising would just stop.

Yes, I always feel so guilty!! I totally agree with you, annak. I don't want to give money to an organization I've never even heard about. I like to research charitable orgs online, see how much of the money even goes to the people who need it (rather than admin or advertising), see if their ethics align with my own. If I get the stink eye now (the only time recently has been at Whole Foods when they ask for donations around the holidays), I just say I already have charities that I have vetted and choose to give money to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am 
***LIES!!!***

couroupita wrote:
annak wrote:

Yes, I always feel so guilty!! I totally agree with you, annak. I don't want to give money to an organization I've never even heard about. I like to research charitable orgs online, see how much of the money even goes to the people who need it (rather than admin or advertising), see if their ethics align with my own. If I get the stink eye now (the only time recently has been at Whole Foods when they ask for donations around the holidays), I just say I already have charities that I have vetted and choose to give money to.

I just say "no thank you" and it seems like they mostly get "no thank yous" and mostly are doing the asking because they are being required to rather than because they give a rat's asparagus, so never any stink eye over here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 pm 
Grandfathered In

You know what I hate?

The obnoxious vegans. You know, the ones who, like, don't eat meat or other animal products?

So rigid.

We should all be the nice kind of vegan. The kind that isn't vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:13 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I never notice a stink eye, but I also tend to avoid eye contact. I feel guilty about saying no, but in theory I wouldn't since I know they're only asking because they have to and the business is only asking so they can take your donation as a tax deduction, so it's not like they're really great people asking me to a good person too. Some of things I've been asked to donate to are just so stupid, too. Like sending cards to soldiers overseas....I never understood that, why would they want a generic card from CVS saying "we're thinking of you!" ...why don't you send them something they can use?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

annak wrote:
I will give to local organizations that directly help people in the community with medical/disability issues, but no research - I don't want to be directly donating to support animal testing.

Same boat as you. I just tell them no. At WF when asked what I want to do with my bag credit "I say donate it if it is to an animal charity"...I kept getting odd looks for that, so now I just say "donate"...

Each week when I buy Mar food at Pet's Mart I donate $2 to their charity and buy a bag of kitten food for the adoption weekend staff to help with the no kills rescues...I figure this is doing my part. I now only donate to rescuers I know...A few months back I bought a cat trap for what I thought was a charity, it was just a women being stingy with resources...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 496  Next