| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 521  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I think because people are so used to eating all those foods with animal products in them, it is hard for them to understand that pasta doesn't have to be covered in cheese, that veggies don't need to be cooked in chicken broth, etc. It is disappointing how much animal products are thoroughly engraved into our culture that people cannot understand that you don't need them, and that it's not like you have to make this whole complicated weird meal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Now they're all panicking because they don't know what to feed me and I'm not "allowed" to cook my own meal because they want to do it for me. I'd suggest some things but I don't even know what's available back there (it's a super small town) and even things that seem basic to me like burritos, curry, etc. are totally foreign to them.
I hate how much anxiety this is causing me, it feels like the stress I get from going to an omni Christmas dinner where you can't bring anything..but it's going to happen over and over for two weeks. Gah!

Put your foot down and assert yourself! Even if they try to object, they'll be relieved in the long run. Let them know that you will be doing some cooking for yourself, and ask if they'd like to try some yummy things you'll be making too. If you can't check out grocery availability online before you go, and as long as you're not going across international borders, take along some herbs/spices, dry beans of your choice, etc.

And if you're too shy, have your husband tell his family 'what's what' for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

biorobotics wrote:
it's frustrating how most non-veg*ns make your food so complicated. it's like "omg what are we going to feed you?! you can't eat anything!", and you're like, "uh. rice, beans, vegetables. bread. salad. veggie burgers/dogs. pasta." and on, and on. it's really not difficult to eat vegan! basic foodstuffs are usually fine.

I find it particularly frustrating when it's often a simple matter of serving a given dish with cheese or meat on the side. I went to a party once and the only thing I could eat that I didn't bring myself was a (very tasty) pasta salad someone brought with proscuitto and asiago cheese in small bowls instead of mixed in. I made a point to thank them for their forethought!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:04 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Jill wrote:
Maggie Muggins wrote:
Now they're all panicking because they don't know what to feed me and I'm not "allowed" to cook my own meal because they want to do it for me. I'd suggest some things but I don't even know what's available back there (it's a super small town) and even things that seem basic to me like burritos, curry, etc. are totally foreign to them.
I hate how much anxiety this is causing me, it feels like the stress I get from going to an omni Christmas dinner where you can't bring anything..but it's going to happen over and over for two weeks. Gah!

Put your foot down and assert yourself! Even if they try to object, they'll be relieved in the long run. Let them know that you will be doing some cooking for yourself, and ask if they'd like to try some yummy things you'll be making too. If you can't check out grocery availability online before you go, and as long as you're not going across international borders, take along some herbs/spices, dry beans of your choice, etc.

And if you're too shy, have your husband tell his family 'what's what' for you.

Agree. If it was one day, or even a weekend, I would just deal with it and eat Luna bars and trail mix. But two weeks? You gotta eat hon. Call them up and explain, politely of course. Maybe you can help cook, or at least go to a local grocery and get some frozen dinners or something.

If you eat just steamed veggies and salad with no dressing for two weeks, just to be polite, that is NOT good for you. I have eaten badly on trips like this, and gotten sick.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My vegan pet peeve right now is having a non-vegan pet. I obviously want to feed my cat the best food (that I can afford), but I feel guilty buying him meat, especially lamb. Or duck - I walk by a waterway that has ducks in it, and I love watching them, so I can only think of them when I see cat food with duck in it. I try to make myself feel better by buying stuff from companies that aren't owned by vivisecting parent companies, but I still feel like a crasshole.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

They've stopped selling tofu and meat substitutes at the two Krogers that are closest to me, having filled THE ENTIRE AREA with Greek yogurt. So I went to the one that's a 20 minute drive, the fancy one, thinking they will not have forsaken me! Same thing. Except at that one, there's a sign saying 'Tofu and vegan products have been moved until we can get a cooler big enough for everything' and then it says where they are, which is two different places on opposite ends of the store. I mean, I'm glad they're still selling them, but why do we have to get bumped around to accommodate that stupid yogurt? Put that shiitake somewhere else! I mean, they moved most of the vegan stuff to the dairy aisle. Uh...wouldn't it make more sense to just put all that yogurt there?

I was pretty pumped to see that they actually used the word 'vegan' instead of vegetarian, though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh how annoying, AP!! I would be throwing a tantrum in the Greek yogurt aisle.

ETA my peeve: Something gave me dog farts and I have no idea what. Breakfast was mostly wheat (basil muffins) and I just had lunch. Didn't eat much in between. Just a new tea.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
My vegan pet peeve right now is having a non-vegan pet. I obviously want to feed my cat the best food (that I can afford), but I feel guilty buying him meat, especially lamb. Or duck - I walk by a waterway that has ducks in it, and I love watching them, so I can only think of them when I see cat food with duck in it. I try to make myself feel better by buying stuff from companies that aren't owned by vivisecting parent companies, but I still feel like a crasshole.
We have a dog and two cats and I feel the same way about the cat food. Both our cats are rescues, so the way we justify it is that we've decided that giving these animals a chance at life outweighed our issues with supporting the pet food industry. We love our furbabies, and also go out of our way to find the least of available evils in terms of brands, but it never stops being uncomfortable.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

allularpunk wrote:
They've stopped selling tofu and meat substitutes at the two Krogers that are closest to me, having filled THE ENTIRE AREA with Greek yogurt. So I went to the one that's a 20 minute drive, the fancy one, thinking they will not have forsaken me! Same thing. Except at that one, there's a sign saying 'Tofu and vegan products have been moved until we can get a cooler big enough for everything' and then it says where they are, which is two different places on opposite ends of the store. I mean, I'm glad they're still selling them, but why do we have to get bumped around to accommodate that stupid yogurt? Put that shiitake somewhere else! I mean, they moved most of the vegan stuff to the dairy aisle. Uh...wouldn't it make more sense to just put all that yogurt there?

I was pretty pumped to see that they actually used the word 'vegan' instead of vegetarian, though.

Maybe they will add an entre aisle like the nice Kroger in B'burg did!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I am going to a BBQ tonight hosted by some relatives I am not very close to at all. Another family member who knows that I do not eat meat and who herself prefers not to eat meat (but is not vegetarian nor vegan) told me she will have them grill some veggie burgers. I told her that that was not necessary at all, that I would be fine without any food (I will have already eaten dinner). I know that she won't listen, and that she doesn't really understand veganism. I know the stores where these people shop, and I already know that they will have already made some of the non-vegan Morningstar burgers before I even get there, and I will have to come up with some polite way of declining them without , and they will keep insisting that I eat (non of the sides are likely to be vegan)

I get that they are trying to be hospitable and all that, but more often then not, I wish people wouldn't try to be, as more often than not, it actually makes things more difficult for me. If someone tells you that they will not need food, just listen to them!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I agree! I think people feel bad about not serving you, i guess because they are trying to be hospitable and inclusive, but it does make it harder. The hardest part about veganism for me is not resisting foods; it is rejecting food when your lovely aunt tells you how excited she is for you to taste her scones, or when your best friend's mom gives you an Easter basket full of milk chocolate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Went to a baby shower, and the host apologized like three times for not having food for me. I ate some crackers and fruit and had a glass of punch. The only other things besides that were bacon pretzels (what the fizzle, right?) and a cheesy dip, so it's not like there was a ton of food I couldn't eat anyway. I can only say "no big deal!" a couple times before I start feeling a little uncomfortable too...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My boyfriend's mother would always try to feed me and couldn't understand what vegan meant and it would be awkward.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:56 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Mine is also cat food related. We're fostering and mr kitty will only eat this one brand of food that's owned by forking Nestlé who we've been boycotting since before we were vegan. Nick thought he'd just be able to slowly transition him to a more ethical brand but it just makes him sick which is obviously not okay. I feel so icky about the non-vegan food anyway and it having to be this shitty evil brand is bumming me out.

I also don't think we should be paying for all the food anyway given that we more looking after him so Nick's friend can go travelling but that's a whole 'nother matter!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

I didn't think you could feed cats a vegan diet anyway? That sucks about having to throw dollars unwillingly at Nestlé though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:07 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
I didn't think you could feed cats a vegan diet anyway? That sucks about having to throw dollars unwillingly at Nestlé though.

Oh no, as far as I know you can't. We just wanted to buy something "ethical". I mean I'm definitely finding the smelling meat in my house thing icky (& it's definitely a reason we put off having meat eating animals around for ages - I had a hamster before!) but I extra haaaaate that it's shitty Nestlé.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ah, gotcha!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel this way especially when I'm taking care of large amounts of cats. Right now the cats at one place (a rescuer) eat 8-10 13 oz cans, 8-10 5.5 oz. cans and 4-6 3 oz. cans a day. It's so much meat! And kittens eat SO MUCH!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

There are vegan cat foods (this is probably mostly beyond the scope of pet peeves but I bet over in the yard you will find people who've done it), though we ended up having to switch back to omni food. It's a little easier with female cats, though.

This is what we used for a while.. Unfortunately some cats are prone to urinary crystals on a plant-based diet, as ours was, and supplementing with the prescription cranberry supplement powder our vet gave us and other attempts to make it work just didn't help us..
http://www.evolutiondietstore.com/categ ... tegoryId=5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

blondiefk wrote:
My boyfriend's mother would always try to feed me and couldn't understand what vegan meant and it would be awkward.

Sometimes I think we should all make a list to give to people of commonly available vegan foods in our area that we like or will tolerate (like regular Fritos are vegan, some people may not want to eat those at a party though).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:44 pm 

That's interesting annak, I was under the impression it was a definite no no. With our situation mr kitty will be going back to live with his real cat mum next March and she'll just go back to feeding him whatever cheap food she can get at the corner store so I'm not sure two big changes like that (now and then again in march) would be fair / worth the hassle just to make us feel more comfortable.

I think the best plan in our sitch' would be to email the girl whose kitty it is, explain that we're not ok with paying for this food and ask her to pay the £10pm for it. I'm pretty sure my husband won't be up for that idea as he thought it would be rude/weird to expect her to contribute for food etc in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:54 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

jojo wrote:
That's interesting annak, I was under the impression it was a definite no no. With our situation mr kitty will be going back to live with his real cat mum next March and she'll just go back to feeding him whatever cheap food she can get at the corner store so I'm not sure two big changes like that (now and then again in march) would be fair / worth the hassle just to make us feel more comfortable.

I think the best plan in our sitch' would be to email the girl whose kitty it is, explain that we're not ok with paying for this food and ask her to pay the £10pm for it. I'm pretty sure my husband won't be up for that idea as he thought it would be rude/weird to expect her to contribute for food etc in the first place.

But it's her cat! Will you also be expected to pay for any vet bills that may occur?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

jojo wrote:

My impression is that it can be done, but you unless your vegan cat food is fortified with taurine you'd need to supplement. That said, I've heard that some cats don't like and/or tolerate it well; I know one person who had to switch back to meaty food because her cat had digestive issues. Ultimately we've just decided to be hypocrites in this area (I also have a car with leather seats, bought before I was vegan), but buying/having the stuff in the house is definitely unpleasant on a number of levels.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

j-dub wrote:
jojo wrote:

But it's her cat! Will you also be expected to pay for any vet bills that may occur?

I can't believe she didn't just give you some money up front for any cat expenses!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The guy who made Evolution was convicted of animal cruelty and practicing medicine without a license (I think both human and veterinary.) My friend's cat died from that food. I can't post links from my tablet for some reason but Google Eric Weisman animal cruelty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 521  Next