| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 476  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jojo wrote:
Mine is also cat food related. We're fostering and mr kitty will only eat this one brand of food that's owned by forking Nestlé who we've been boycotting since before we were vegan. Nick thought he'd just be able to slowly transition him to a more ethical brand but it just makes him sick which is obviously not okay. I feel so icky about the non-vegan food anyway and it having to be this shitty evil brand is bumming me out.

I also don't think we should be paying for all the food anyway given that we more looking after him so Nick's friend can go travelling but that's a whole 'nother matter!

I also think they should be paying for it! Vegan or not that's common courtesy, cats can be expensive.

I have the same problem with my cats, very very picky eaters. The only like Purina and Whiskas, it seems, and I tried switching to wet food but one cat gets really anxious when the food bowl is empty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Shy Mox wrote:
jojo wrote:
Mine is also cat food related. We're fostering and mr kitty will only eat this one brand of food that's owned by forking Nestlé who we've been boycotting since before we were vegan. Nick thought he'd just be able to slowly transition him to a more ethical brand but it just makes him sick which is obviously not okay. I feel so icky about the non-vegan food anyway and it having to be this shitty evil brand is bumming me out.

I also don't think we should be paying for all the food anyway given that we more looking after him so Nick's friend can go travelling but that's a whole 'nother matter!

I also think they should be paying for it! Vegan or not that's common courtesy, cats can be expensive.

I have the same problem with my cats, very very picky eaters. The only like Purina and Whiskas, it seems, and I tried switching to wet food but one cat gets really anxious when the food bowl is empty.

Mine will only eat Purina as well. If I did wet food, Bill would eat all of it before Ghostface ever got a chance, the little pig. Also, she totally freaks out if her bowl is even only half full, so...stickin' with the cheap shiitake that makes them happy.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

blondiefk wrote:
The guy who made Evolution was convicted of animal cruelty and practicing medicine without a license (I think both human and veterinary.) My friend's cat died from that food. I can't post links from my tablet for some reason but Google Eric Weisman animal cruelty.

Woah! I had no idea, how bizarre. I'm sorry for posting the link then. I used to buy the stuff from Pangea, who usually do a good job vetting this kind of stuff, so it must've happened more recently. There are probably other brands, though. I'm sure there must be a discussion or ten in the yard, but like I said it ended up not being a good fit for us.

I too don't love having the cat's meat food in the house. Especially since he has kind of a delicate stomach and we have to go to plain fish or chicken occasionally, which is awful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

As far as I know the vegan stores still sell his stuff. My friend whose cat died from it contacted the stores after the story but they all declined to remove it.

It's a really sore topic. I also tied vegan cat food Ami kibble. One of my cats loved it but I never fed it exclusively and then I phased out kibble and acquired several special needs cats (I have eight total, five of whom are special needs) and any kind of desire to experiment with their diets left me. I still hate feeding them meat. But they're family and I do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

If I had the funds I'd make a cat food made out of Newfoundland capelin. They're suicidal, they come to shore to lay their eggs then just lay on the beach and die. People eat them but usually there's tons left on the beach to rot and it stinks to high heavens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allularpunk wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:
jojo wrote:

Mine will only eat Purina as well. If I did wet food, Bill would eat all of it before Ghostface ever got a chance, the little pig. Also, she totally freaks out if her bowl is even only half full, so...stickin' with the cheap shiitake that makes them happy.

I was lucky with Zebby in that at least he didn't mind having his food changed from the cheap shiitake he was getting at the shelter. We had to start him off with Whiskas because that's what they'd been feeding him (and I couldn't physically get anything better before we brought him home), but we were able to find some other food that he liked pretty quickly. We give him Burns dry food and (usually) Applaws wet food, both of which are on a cruelty free (well, anti-vivisection, I guess) pet food list. Of course, they're about 3x more expensive, and I have to get the wet food online, but at least if I have to buy meat, I'm able to get something relatively ethical. That said, if he refused to eat anything other than Whiskas, I'd still buy him that because I'd rather have a healthy, happy (living) cat than maintain my ethical stance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

When we go away we always pay for our cat food and buy a present for the people who feed them for us! We're a bit away from the thread now, but Jojo, did you find out anything about which brands would be more ethical in the UK?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 am 

Oh, that post crossed, thanks Rachel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
When we go away we always pay for our cat food and buy a present for the people who feed them for us! We're a bit away from the thread now, but Jojo, did you find out anything about which brands would be more ethical in the UK?

Applaws also does dry food, but Zeb doesn't like it. There's also Almo and Lily's Organic for wet food, and it looks like a couple of new brands have come out (at least at zooplus.co.uk) that are independently owned, organic and otherwise possibly not entirely evil. The only problem with buying online is that you usually have to get multiples, so you might end up stuck with something the cat won't eat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 am 

Since we have 2 cats of our own and at least 3 strays who come in, one of them will eat it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 am 
Chard Martyr

biorobotics wrote:
it's frustrating how most non-veg*ns make your food so complicated. it's like "omg what are we going to feed you?! you can't eat anything!", and you're like, "uh. rice, beans, vegetables. bread. salad. veggie burgers/dogs. pasta." and on, and on. it's really not difficult to eat vegan! basic foodstuffs are usually fine.

Especially when they are in the food industry! Our catering partners at work offer us food after the wedding clients have been served, and they are always like, oh there is nothing vegan. But there is! Curried couscous salad, baked potatoes with chives, sometimes mixed veggies roasted in olive oil, green salad with oil/balsamic dressing, roasted eggplant, fruit salad with mint, I mean whatever...if I was a guest at the wedding I wouldn't be thrilled with the options, but for sitting on a crate in the back of house mowing down you can bet I will eat two potatoes with chives and feel fed!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:22 am 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:
Since we have 2 cats of our own and at least 3 strays who come in, one of them will eat it!

You live in catland! When am I coming to visit?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Shy Mox wrote:
If I had the funds I'd make a cat food made out of Newfoundland capelin. They're suicidal, they come to shore to lay their eggs then just lay on the beach and die. People eat them but usually there's tons left on the beach to rot and it stinks to high heavens.

growing up in newfoundland, i have witnessed the horror that is 'when the capelin come in' too many times. rocky beaches covered in fish and seagulls, that's what i think when i think 'beach' (living in ontario now has me convinced otherwise).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

um...cat food...if there is vegan ramen out there i might need to gather it for our dinner. mar's new prescription diet is $$$ - most of the time he hates it....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
Semen Strong

I was at Qdoba at the mall, and they had a nice looking mango salad. So I asked for that, and asked if they could sub out black beans for chicken. And she said they could, but there would be an extra charge. Seriously, a charge to sub out beans for chicken? So suddenly a $7 salad is $9.

So annoying!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

That is annoying, indeed! I feel like my Qdoba wouldn't pull that shiitake. I had a nice conversation once with the owner/manager who told me that he drives to Lexington (2 hours away) to buy all of their produce at Whole Foods and they make everything that's vegetarian actually vegan (except for cheese and sour cream, obvs), and I kind of love him for that.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 pm 
Cranky

I've always had that kind of experience with Qdoba. They charge extra for everything, even if you're leaving out the most expensive ingredients. I'd rather go to Chipotle every time. Never mind that I live an hour away from the nearest Chipotle and Qdoba restaurants.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

All the Qdobas here were changed to Freebirds...I have not been. I am a Chipotle girl anyway...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

At the Qdoba near me they let me sub black beans and rice in that mango salad for no extra charge. Still extra for the guac though. I prefer Chipotle, but that salad is gooood (with tons of salsa and hot sauce).

eta: And it looks like they changed the cilantro-lime dressing. I swear it used to have honey, but now it's sugar. Anti-peeve!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I always found both Chipotle and Qdoba to be way too salty to be edible. My pet peeve is salt, I hate it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

missmuffcake wrote:
All the Qdobas here were changed to Freebirds...I have not been. I am a Chipotle girl anyway...

Freebirds is really good! I had no idea they had expanded so quickly, they used to have just a few central Texas locations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Nebraskalaska wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Freebirds is really good! I had no idea they had expanded so quickly, they used to have just a few central Texas locations.

Yes, Freebirds is awesome. They met with our local vegan group to ask what they could do to improve their menu. All the tortillas, vegetables, rice, and beans are vegan, even the refried beans. I like the black beans at Chipotle, but having lots of options is the key to my heart.

My pet peeve has long been that Qdoba charges extra to put vegetables on the vegetarian burrito.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

The name Freebirds just makes me think you're eating out with a bunch of members of a metal hair band.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 pm 
Chip Strong

Amy wrote:
At the Qdoba near me they let me sub black beans and rice in that mango salad for no extra charge. Still extra for the guac though. I prefer Chipotle, but that salad is gooood (with tons of salsa and hot sauce).

eta: And it looks like they changed the cilantro-lime dressing. I swear it used to have honey, but now it's sugar. Anti-peeve!

Thank you for sharing this anti peeve!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:16 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Today's peeve (inspired by this link from one our favorite local restaurants): people who describe themselves as "carnivores." Unless they are leopards or tigers or pumas or something, they are not carnivores; they are omnivores who apparently like to eat meat. Get it straight!

http://veggiegalaxy.net/?p=329

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 476  Next