| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not that I'm for corporal punishment but my mother would have put the fear of god into me if I ever spoke to an adult like that, at any age. Even if they're just tolerating it because they think its funny to pick on the vegan, he sounds like a terror.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's the thing of it!
i dont feel it's my responsibility to chastise them but my brother just lets it happen!

usually my mom (their grandmother) intervenes!
the older one is definitely annoying and a huge know it all but now it's both of them! the younger one has joined in too! AHHHHH!!!!!

so much for teaching tolerance to your kids.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Every farmer worth his or her salt knows that putting water on to boil means that it's time to pick the *sweetcorn*. And it will taste better than any chicken ever has. Feh. I'm glad I don't have friends ridiculously into this urban agrarian shiitake.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

LisaPunk wrote:
that's the thing of it!
i dont feel it's my responsibility to chastise them but my brother just lets it happen!

usually my mom (their grandmother) intervenes!
the older one is definitely annoying and a huge know it all but now it's both of them! the younger one has joined in too! AHHHHH!!!!!

so much for teaching tolerance to your kids.

This is ridiculous! I'm not a parent but I can't imagine I would let my kid talk to anyone that way without intervening. I'm sorry you have to put up with that.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Arggggg peeve of the day: when grocery shelves are inconsistently filled with really similar looking products, so you grab your usual two packages, but there's a vegan one with a not vegan one behind it and you're not really paying attention and only after you've boiled the ravioli, lovingly oiled it, and taken a bite do you notice that it's the mushroom one with the cheese in it instead of the garlic roasted vegetable one without the cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Annak - I hate that. I once poured chicken broth into a dish I was making and looked at the package and thought, ha, that's funny, "free range" vegetable broth. Oh. Wait. fork.

Went to two weddings this weekend, which might just be a peeve in itself. Our meals were not awful, although at the second we gave instructions to amend the planned meal - JUST a few grilled veggies - we demanded at least a side of pasta with red sauce to go along with it, which was good, because the veggies were blech. What was awful was sitting next to my cousin who has built his own house up in Vermont (which is lovely, actually) and his girlfriend was waxing poetic about the chickens they are now raising laid the most beautiful eggs that taste so amazing and it was like a half hour conversation about these forking eggs. Blergh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Now I really hope some company starts selling free range veggie broth. Maybe from foraged plants!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

annak wrote:
Now I really hope some company starts selling free range veggie broth. Maybe from foraged plants!
Or made of chickweed, chickpea and chick... onions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ate half a bag of "hint of lime" tortilla chips my aunt brought over before thinking to look at the ingredients... whey! gdit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh! those are so annoying. I ate some of those at a friends house a while back. Luckily, they aren't very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dudes. Something has been weighing on my mind for a while, and I'm just going to say it. I was back home a couple of weeks ago, and I tagged along with my mom, her husband, and my grandpa on their last Sunday of the month routine which is a flea market and Texas Roadhouse. I was like, no, no, this is what y'all do! I'll find something to eat!

Those mothers hubbard rub their baked sweet potatoes in bacon forking grease. What the ever loving fork is that about?! And then grandpa was like, oh, do you have to get your stomach pumped now? And my mom was upset because I was upset, and the poor waitress looked like she might cry. She tried so hard to be accommodating that I didn't fault her none, but damnit! What kind of nonsense is that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I actually used to LOVE the lime tortilla chips, and they're one of those random "why can't it just be vegan??" things I miss. Yes it's fake tasting but I love the tartness. I do remember that when I was in Victoria i found a brand in the grocery store there of lime chips that was vegan. I'd never seen them before. They were delicious, but some sort of secret Canadians-only thing I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ndpittman wrote:
Dudes. Something has been weighing on my mind for a while, and I'm just going to say it. I was back home a couple of weeks ago, and I tagged along with my mom, her husband, and my grandpa on their last Sunday of the month routine which is a flea market and Texas Roadhouse. I was like, no, no, this is what y'all do! I'll find something to eat!

Those mothers hubbard rub their baked sweet potatoes in bacon forking grease. What the ever loving fork is that about?! And then grandpa was like, oh, do you have to get your stomach pumped now? And my mom was upset because I was upset, and the poor waitress looked like she might cry. She tried so hard to be accommodating that I didn't fault her none, but damnit! What kind of nonsense is that.

Grossssss!! I've heard of places doing this before. I remember years ago when I was a baby vegan (2005 maybe?) I went semivoluntarily to Outback Steakhouse with my family and discovered that they still cooked their french fries in lard. What. I ask a lot about this because I'm paranoid and haven't yet been to another place that does this.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

annak wrote:
I actually used to LOVE the lime tortilla chips, and they're one of those random "why can't it just be vegan??" things I miss. Yes it's fake tasting but I love the tartness. I do remember that when I was in Victoria i found a brand in the grocery store there of lime chips that was vegan. I'd never seen them before. They were delicious, but some sort of secret Canadians-only thing I guess.

Frontera has Lime & Sea Salt tortilla chips that are vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

fatcat wrote:
annak wrote:

Laurel Hill does, too!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh I love Laurel Hill's chips! Their pumpkin seed ones are OMGDrool!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

And NPittman, don't feel bad! I was once in Ohio at a diner that said they couldn't serve me dry toast because all their toast was fried on the griddle with bacon grease.

My peeve is the diner that mixed up my veggie burger and gave me a chicken burger instead. I was in Urgent Care getting treated for an asthma attack and my husband brought it to me because I was starving and out of it. It was made with mushed up chicken, so I didn't get tipped off by the texture, and I was crazy lightheaded and out of it, so I ate half of it before I looked at it. I can't believe I didn't realize sooner. I feel like such a dick. Even though I know that veganism isn't about ethical purity but about doing the best for the animals and forgiving yourself if you slip up, I still feel like I should have known. But, yeah, Onward!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks for the recommendations! It sounds like I will have to gather these down and try them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ndpittman wrote:
fatcat wrote:
annak wrote:
I actually used to LOVE the lime tortilla chips, and they're one of those random "why can't it just be vegan??" things I miss.

Laurel Hill does, too!

So does Late July! Theirs are multigrain-y (and good). https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7608_n.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a conversation about candy the other day that boiled down to my co-workers trying to convince me to eat something with carmine in it because I probably accidentally eat bugs all the time. I tried to explain to them that there's a difference between doing something accidentally and doing something intentionally, and I had no intention of eating something made with bugs. The conversation was all very light-hearted and everyone was laughing, but it still annoyed me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

You know who's worse than regular-old people?

Coworkers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:54 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

My coworkers are curious about me being vegan, and are pretty nice about it. But they don't know jack about Vegans, so I am running into some little peeves. Pretty funny ones too, and they are not malicious about it or anything, but still appropriate for this thread.

We have been having a lot of in-office meetings going on, and there is lots of leftover food and a lot of it happens to be vegan (pasta, chips, mexican food, etc). They keep telling me "go on! you can eat it! It's vegan and it's good!"

But I don't want it. I already ate my lunch and I am watching what I eat...but they keep asking. When I finally said "no guys, I'm on a diet! I can't eat pasta right now." They were flabbergasted. A couple of guys were like "why are you on a diet? You are vegan, you barely eat!"

I had to explain that you can be vegan and eat pasta, bread, chips, french fries and wine every day and gain weight (which is exactly what I did). One dude was like...french fries are vegan??

So it was kinda funny, but kinda pushy. They are well-meaning though, so I didn't mind too much. I like it when I change peoples misconceptions about vegans (in a good way).

I still ended up eating chips and pasta though. Tortilla chips and good salsa are like crack, I can't NOT eat them when they are RIGHT THERE. stupid chips.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

The whole thing about people not knowing the basics (the basic basics, even) of what's in their food just kills me.

"Peanut butter doesn't have butter in it?"

"Vegans can eat french fries?"

"Doesn't all chocolate have milk in it?"

"You can't eat bread because yeast is an animal."

I get the feeling most people just never consider what goes in their mouths. Or look at labels. Or cook anything at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Cannibals are vegans right? I mean they eat human beans?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It has been confirmed that the hummus I had for an appetizer the other night totally had feta cheese in it. Who puts feta in hummus? Why ruin the one sacred thing we can almost always count on? I thought the texture was weird, but it was really dimly lit in the bar. Then the bartender, who know I'm vegan and wouldn't have served it to me if he had known, was asking me what I thought of it, because it was a new product for them. I was going on and on about how forking tasty it was and then another bartender was like, oh yeah it's so good, it has feta in it! My bartender was like, no forking way, I'm sure it doesn't, but I found out yesterday that it does. Lamesauce.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 507  Next