| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

Why do companies keep putting weird shiitake in their hummus?! That's my pet peeve. Leave hummus alone!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:02 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This was made in house at another restaurant and then bought by the bar, so there weren't even any ingredients to read when it came up. Super sneaky!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I dunno, it actually freaks me out more when people do know what's in their food, and they eat it anyway. Or when people like...revel in the "badness" of their food. Like when people are all, "RAWR! I ate nearly-raw fish! I pulled the head off a crustacean and sucked it out of its shell! I ate THE LEGS OF A FROG" like they're so awesome for not being grossed out by these things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I prefer people who know and are not grossed out to people who get grossed out, don't want to know, then eat it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I use the "plant-based" phrase occasionally as a short cut for vegan diet (versus actual veganism). But using it to describe a vegan donut truck seems ridiculous.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made a cake that everyone said was good and then after finding out it was vegan, one person thought it was bad, after they said it was good! gggrrrrrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm 
Inflexitarian

allularpunk wrote:
It has been confirmed that the hummus I had for an appetizer the other night totally had feta cheese in it. Who puts feta in hummus? Why ruin the one sacred thing we can almost always count on? I thought the texture was weird, but it was really dimly lit in the bar. Then the bartender, who know I'm vegan and wouldn't have served it to me if he had known, was asking me what I thought of it, because it was a new product for them. I was going on and on about how forking tasty it was and then another bartender was like, oh yeah it's so good, it has feta in it! My bartender was like, no forking way, I'm sure it doesn't, but I found out yesterday that it does. Lamesauce.

So annoying! One of the bars here randomly started adding yogurt or some other form of dairy to their hummus and didn't tell anyone. So I ate that a few times and had no idea. This other place started sprinkling feta on top of the hummus! I had been there a few times and had the hummus appetizer and it never had feta on it, then one day it came out with feta. I felt bad because I didn't say "no feta" but it didn't say "sprinkled with feta" on the menu so I didn't think to! Now I usually ask about garnishes. Dang feta!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Alaina wrote:
I made a cake that everyone said was good and then after finding out it was vegan, one person thought it was bad, after they said it was good! gggrrrrrr

Dude, I can't tell you how often that happens to me. Here is one particularly awful case:

A few years ago when Veggie Grill first opened up, my co-worker and I used to go there about once a week. She was not vegan or vegetarian, but man, she loved that place. Anyways, we were chatting with a manager, and mentioned that we were the event planners in our office and ordered lunch a lot from local places.

They gave us FREE lunch for everyone in our office. 50 people.

I sent out emails, made it very clear it was vegan food. Everyone knew I was vegan. Hell, people were looking forward to it!

Most everyone loved it, but there were a group of dudes that hoovered up more than the 2 half sandwiches everyone got, (which is another peeve, how forking rude) said how good they were, then they found out later that they were vegan and claimed that the food made them sick or something. Made a huge deal out of it like I tricked them. It was really shitty.

Needless to say, those guys NEVER got the leftover food that we used to give out when meetings were over after that. Went to non-assholes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm 
And you never will.

An old friend of mine texted me today and asked if I was still making cakes and do I make any non-vegan cakes. I responded that I never stopped making cakes, but that I haven't made a non-vegan cake in over five years (since I went vegan). She responded with "oh, well, thanks anyway."

Whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Because cake just isn't cake without milk and eggs, apparently.

Idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm 
And you never will.

karichelle wrote:
Because cake just isn't cake without milk and eggs, apparently.

Idiots.

Seriously. A chef from a local (omni) restaurant (who teaches pastry classes) told the owners of the cafe I bake for that my cakes were as good as any cake he's ever had or made, but I guess they're still not good enough for some people. Bah humbug.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Whatever! Pet peeve for you, more cake for me. Tomato, tomahto.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 pm 
Semen Strong

PB, I think its so awesome that you are able to live your convictions! I wouldn't ever fault a vegan business for compromising, especially in a market that isn't very vegan heavy, but there is a special kind of awesome for someone like you who makes the most gorgeous drool-inspiring creations as a vegan, in a non-vegan market.

I just think you're rad and wish I could hug you.

Also, its still one of my pet peeves that another vegan in our area was telling vegans that a local vegan baker will make non-veg cakes if you ask them on the sly and so vegans shouldn't support them, which is totally not true.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chicki wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Dude, I can't tell you how often that happens to me. Here is one particularly awful case:

A few years ago when Veggie Grill first opened up, my co-worker and I used to go there about once a week. She was not vegan or vegetarian, but man, she loved that place. Anyways, we were chatting with a manager, and mentioned that we were the event planners in our office and ordered lunch a lot from local places.

They gave us FREE lunch for everyone in our office. 50 people.

I sent out emails, made it very clear it was vegan food. Everyone knew I was vegan. Hell, people were looking forward to it!

Most everyone loved it, but there were a group of dudes that hoovered up more than the 2 half sandwiches everyone got, (which is another peeve, how forking rude) said how good they were, then they found out later that they were vegan and claimed that the food made them sick or something. Made a huge deal out of it like I tricked them. It was really shitty.

Needless to say, those guys NEVER got the leftover food that we used to give out when meetings were over after that. Went to non-assholes.

That was soo nice of the restaurant and so awful of those people!

I still don't understand how vegan food "tricks" people. There is no law that says cake and bread have to have eggs and milk. In fact if you go looking at low fat omni deserts, the first thing they do is reduce or eliminate, butter, eggs (as well as oil). And the lack of a peice of a dead animal on a plate isn't fooling anyone.
Sometimes I just wonder, if I said to someone like these people, you know banana's are vegan, Heineken is vegan, would they decide that things are bad and tricked them?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

poopiebitch wrote:
An old friend of mine texted me today and asked if I was still making cakes and do I make any non-vegan cakes. I responded that I never stopped making cakes, but that I haven't made a non-vegan cake in over five years (since I went vegan). She responded with "oh, well, thanks anyway."

Whatever.

I'm really offended by this. Do you know how many dollars I would pay - how many things I would do - to have the shot at one of your cakes? And someone is turning their nose up at them? BLASPHEME.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I know! I would seriously happily pay $100 for one of those amazing cakes. A small one! Who needs regular food when you've got that cake?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Seriously. I've actually wondered about the logistics/price of express flying one of your cakes to Europe, poopiebitch. She doesn't know what she's missing.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Fee wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

Whatever.

I'm really offended by this. Do you know how many dollars I would pay - how many things I would do - to have the shot at one of your cakes? And someone is turning their nose up at them? BLASPHEME.

Absolutely. I'm still having dreams about the Snickers cake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My birthday is in less than a month, and I really want a nice cake (which I won't be getting). When I think about what kind of cake I want, I picture one of PB's cakes. They're the stuff dreams are made of.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been craving Indian forevaaar, and finally got husband to go with me to the buffet for lunch. They didn't have as many vegan things as usual, none of the awesome fried things were vegan, and they didn't have any of my huge list of favorites. It was still pretty tasty, but disappointing. First world problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm tired of people implying that I should eat certain things just because they're vegan. I tend to stay pretty low key but I think people subconsciously find me difficult just because I'm vegan. Today at my internship there was a staff meeting, and they'd gave out ice pops at the end. I didn't want one. Didn't even look at them to see if they were ok to eat. Figured they'd just be sugary anyway and simply put, I just didn't want one. Afterwards my mentor asked me what flavor I got, and I said I didn't get one. Her response: "Why not, they're vegan!" And later added, "they're only 70 calories, just a little bit of sugar, mostly natural ingredients." This isn't the first time she's done this, she bought me vegan dessert in the past that I didn't want, and if I refuse a snack offer like almonds she'll say, "why not, they're vegan." I know she's just playing with me but it gets old after awhile. I've also had some food issues over the last year or so, so it's a sensitive issue for me. But just because something is vegan, doesn't mean that I want it or have to have it. Like I can't find any food or something, and should gratefully accept something because it's fair game for me? Stop trying to feed me, let me do my own thing. I'm an adult, I think I would know whether or not I want a forking ice pop regardless of vegan status.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I refused an ice pop today as well, but nobody said anything. I have kind of the opposite problem, because anytime anyone offers me something that's vegan, I feel like I have to eat it. Like...they tried! I should be appreciative! Even if I'm not hungry! Luckily, it doesn't happen often. The one thing I will turn down is fruity candy, and I always just say, 'I hate fruity candy', that way they get the point. Otherwise, if I really don't want something, I just say that I'm not hungry or that I'm full (if it's dessert stuff after a meal or whatever). I guess I'm lucky that I don't have people trying to force food on me or guilt me very often, though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Luckily my toddler made up for your ice pops as breakfast dessert today. YOU'RE WELCOME.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sweet potato, my mom kinda does that. It drives my husband insane (he's actually o-l veg, not vegan, but she'll ask him ten thousand times whether he wants foods she knows he likes in general). I think in some families people are taught to refuse things out of politeness so the person offering tends to go overboard re-offering to make sure you know they really mean it, they're not just offering something because they feel like they have to where it wouldn't actually be polite to accept.

I don't know if I'm explaining that well. But it's a difference I notice between my husband's family and mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:55 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Friends with a couple who always seems to bring up the show Portlandia every time the subject of veganism is touched on. I'm not sure if it's subconscious, coincidence, or if him and his wife are passively aggressively trying to call me and my wife hipsters. If I was closer friends with them and actually gave a shiitake what they thought, I'd ask but whatever. Still a little annoying tho.

Reply to topic  [ 10572 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258 ... 423  Next