| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I thought I found a new unsweetened original almond milk to try, but it's actually unsweetened almond flavored soy milk. What the fork is that? I haven't tried it yet. It could be really good though, but seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ughhhh my friend's sisters are into dog rescue and keep posting pics of dog abuse on facebook. And then the friend's husband posted a gory pic of a poor goose getting plucked for down, stating he'd never use down again.

1) I don't want to see these nasty-ass pictures
2) they are freaking hypocrites! If I were to say anything, I'd be labeled as "that" vegan, so I just hit ignore. But still. The husband just texted my now lacto-ovo husband about how he's going to take him out for Brazilian bbq next time we're in town (I think he's trying to...tempt?...him into eating meat again). I'mma explode.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Alaina wrote:
Chicki wrote:
Alaina wrote:
I made a cake that everyone said was good and then after finding out it was vegan, one person thought it was bad, after they said it was good! gggrrrrrr

Dude, I can't tell you how often that happens to me. Here is one particularly awful case:

A few years ago when Veggie Grill first opened up, my co-worker and I used to go there about once a week. She was not vegan or vegetarian, but man, she loved that place. Anyways, we were chatting with a manager, and mentioned that we were the event planners in our office and ordered lunch a lot from local places.

They gave us FREE lunch for everyone in our office. 50 people.

I sent out emails, made it very clear it was vegan food. Everyone knew I was vegan. Hell, people were looking forward to it!

Most everyone loved it, but there were a group of dudes that hoovered up more than the 2 half sandwiches everyone got, (which is another peeve, how forking rude) said how good they were, then they found out later that they were vegan and claimed that the food made them sick or something. Made a huge deal out of it like I tricked them. It was really shitty.

Needless to say, those guys NEVER got the leftover food that we used to give out when meetings were over after that. Went to non-assholes.

That was soo nice of the restaurant and so awful of those people!

I still don't understand how vegan food "tricks" people. There is no law that says cake and bread have to have eggs and milk. In fact if you go looking at low fat omni deserts, the first thing they do is reduce or eliminate, butter, eggs (as well as oil). And the lack of a peice of a dead animal on a plate isn't fooling anyone.
Sometimes I just wonder, if I said to someone like these people, you know banana's are vegan, Heineken is vegan, would they decide that things are bad and tricked them?

haha, I pull the "hey, that banana you ate this morning is Vegan" line all the time!

Some guy told me that all vegan food is fake. I acted stupid. WHAT? My apple is FAKE? who told you? it was pretty funny. he even laughed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chicki wrote:
Alaina wrote:
That was soo nice of the restaurant and so awful of those people!

I still don't understand how vegan food "tricks" people. There is no law that says cake and bread have to have eggs and milk. In fact if you go looking at low fat omni deserts, the first thing they do is reduce or eliminate, butter, eggs (as well as oil). And the lack of a peice of a dead animal on a plate isn't fooling anyone.
Sometimes I just wonder, if I said to someone like these people, you know banana's are vegan, Heineken is vegan, would they decide that things are bad and tricked them?

haha, I pull the "hey, that banana you ate this morning is Vegan" line all the time!

Some guy told me that all vegan food is fake. I acted stupid. WHAT? My apple is FAKE? who told you? it was pretty funny. he even laughed

most of my friends don't eat banana's (wow that is terrible), but they drink beer so I just remind them that most beer is vegan.
The last time someone told me vegan food was fake I said "So is McDonalds". And they were like oh yea it is. Next time I'll try what you did with the apple.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tynamite wrote:
Friends with a couple who always seems to bring up the show Portlandia every time the subject of veganism is touched on. I'm not sure if it's subconscious, coincidence, or if him and his wife are passively aggressively trying to call me and my wife hipsters. If I was closer friends with them and actually gave a shiitake what they thought, I'd ask but whatever. Still a little annoying tho.

I too have experienced the hipster thing since going vegan, but never when I was just vegetarian. It is puzzling. Is it the perceived extremeness? Trendiness? I don't know. I am not a hipster, but I do have a coffee table book called "look at this forking hipster" so on the other hand I might be a hipster. (I didn't buy it, I don't know if that detail is relevant). Whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Most of the hipsters I know are REALLY into bacon. Maybe there are two species of hipsters - the bacon-loving kind and the vegan kind. I am too old and unhip to know.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm just so tired of the bacon thing. One of my campers was asking me about veganism today and her second question (first was about ice cream) was, 'How do you live without bacon??' I told her I never really liked it to begin with, so it wasn't a big deal and she told me a friend of hers would kill me if she heard me saying that. What the fork? I mean, I know she was exaggerating, but really...what is the big deal? It's smoky, salty, and fatty. I can make things taste like that without killing a pig, but also...tell me again what the big deal is? Also, the cooking show challenges where everyone uses bacon! I wish they would ban bacon as an ingredient, because it seems like such a huge crutch when it comes to omni cooking.

I feel the same way about cheese, but people like to hear about that even less. What a forking culinary cop-out, though.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

allularpunk wrote:
I'm just so tired of the bacon thing. One of my campers was asking me about veganism today and her second question (first was about ice cream) was, 'How do you live without bacon??' I told her I never really liked it to begin with, so it wasn't a big deal and she told me a friend of hers would kill me if she heard me saying that.
And presumably turn you into bacon; I'd steer clear of these peole if I were you!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mmm... People bacon....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

'Pacon'...

Which brings me to my peeve- puns. I'd like to eat punless food, but its a minority diet.

Even worse, some are really clever or funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

allularpunk wrote:
I'm just so tired of the bacon thing. One of my campers was asking me about veganism today and her second question (first was about ice cream) was, 'How do you live without bacon??' I told her I never really liked it to begin with, so it wasn't a big deal and she told me a friend of hers would kill me if she heard me saying that. What the fork? I mean, I know she was exaggerating, but really...what is the big deal? It's smoky, salty, and fatty. I can make things taste like that without killing a pig, but also...tell me again what the big deal is? Also, the cooking show challenges where everyone uses bacon! I wish they would ban bacon as an ingredient, because it seems like such a huge crutch when it comes to omni cooking.

I feel the same way about cheese, but people like to hear about that even less. What a forking culinary cop-out, though.

I think I might possibly unreasonably blow up if someone said something to me about bacon. I'm just so tired of hearing about it. Bacon is edgy now. Because it's unhealthy, and we don't care. Your food fad doesn't upset me because it's made out of an animal, it upsets me because you think it makes you interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 am 
And you never will.

Fee wrote:
Your food fad doesn't upset me because it's made out of an animal, it upsets me because you think it makes you interesting.

Quoted for truth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 am 
WELFARIST!

Yesssssssss!!! Exactly. I hate how bacon has become a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

poopiebitch wrote:
Fee wrote:
Your food fad doesn't upset me because it's made out of an animal, it upsets me because you think it makes you interesting.

Quoted for truth.
Quoted again because it made me weep, it was that beautifully stated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:59 am 
Dead by dawn

Yes! Like, I don't care that you like bacon; I used to like bacon. What I object to is the Cult of Bacon. But at least it's got to end some time, right? And people can just go back to treating bacon like just another food they like? Please?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am 
Grandfathered In

Nothing could be more rebellious than eating meat. Like almost everyone else does.

The status quo is always edgy.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 am 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
Fee wrote:
Quoted for truth.
FootFace wrote:
Nothing could be more rebellious than eating meat. Like almost everyone else does.

The status quo is always edgy.
So much truth.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am 
Grandfathered In

Years and years ago I wrote a letter to The Stranger about this very topic.

I think I said, "Meat is not only murder. It's also boring. And so are you."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

FootFace wrote:
Years and years ago I wrote a letter to The Stranger about this very topic.

I think I said, "Meat is not only murder. It's also boring. And so are you."

I want this on a T-shirt. Is it the right thing to do to give you royalties or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 pm 
Grandfathered In

Yes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I also want that on a shirt/button. Or Footface on the tweeter so I can retweet him all the time.

The bacon thing is stupid for so, so many reasons. When people say they can't live without bacon, I think, "Really? So if you were told you could only eat one meat for the rest of your life you'd pick bacon, instead of something more versatile like chicken breasts?" It's like vegans saying that they can't live without Tofurkey slices. I greatly enjoy them, I eat the right out of the package, but if someone gave me the dessert island scenario and told me to pick one protein source forever, i'd pick tofu or seitan (let's pretend that the island already has beans). You can make other foods taste bacon-y, you can't make bacon taste like much else but bacon.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But, if you don't have bacon, how will you eat any vegetables?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I don't get the bacon thing either. I don't get the whole "OMG how can you not like this food thing" Like really, the fact that someone might not like something you like is that foreign of a concept?
I also never liked bacon, I fail to see how strips of fried fat with a teeny bit meat is appetizing. It looks like people are just eating lard to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mrsbadmouth wrote:
...but if someone gave me the dessert island scenario...

Totally not meaning to pick on you but I love it when people make this typo, because it makes me imagine being all alone on a tropical island with unlimited desserts. If it also had books and kitties I would never ever want to be rescued.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

parkerk wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
...but if someone gave me the dessert island scenario...

Totally not meaning to pick on you but I love it when people make this typo, because it makes me imagine being all alone on a tropical island with unlimited desserts. If it also had books and kitties I would never ever want to be rescued.

Yes! I was thinking the same thing! A dessert island sounds delicious!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 424  Next