| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 481  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Justifying eating meat by saying slaughterhouses will never end, on a vegan page and at the same time calling yourself an animal lover.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:59 am 
Grandfathered In

A good post at a site I like about orcas and the upcoming documentary about SeaWorld, etc.

Fine, good.

But we must not talk about the ethics of meat-eating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:58 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

"I do feel bad about eating veal; I mean, what a way to die. But what can I do? I'm Italian."
(Actual thing that was said to me by the guy who was fixing my stove this morning.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I've seen the fish oil in peanut butter too! EWWW.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:54 pm 
Semen Strong

After weeks of helping a friend who said he wanted a rescue pet, he decided to go with a puppy from a breeder. He hasn't ever met the pup, but he fell in love with the photo and is driving 10 hours to go pick him up. Seriously, when I found him cute rescue pups everything was too far, and too much hassle etc. Ugh. People suck sometimes.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

The impossibility of finding a good vegan cornbread dressing easily available to me without having to make it from scratch. I've been craving Thanksgiving, even Stovetop Stuffing, for days. I realize this is also a first world problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm 
Chip Strong

Chicki wrote:
The circus is coming to town. :(

If that wasn't shitty enough, my company has a bunch of tickets, and as the marketing events person, I have to promote them.

I would like to join the protests outside, but since my company has a tight partnership with the venue, that would be a bad idea, in case someone saw me. And they know me, so I would be recognized. Boo.

Go to the protest wearing an elephant mask or costume? ;) Half kidding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Could you give some support to a group planning to protest? It sucks that you can't be there, but you could help them get the message across.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

geeksweetheart wrote:
The impossibility of finding a good vegan cornbread dressing easily available to me without having to make it from scratch. I've been craving Thanksgiving, even Stovetop Stuffing, for days. I realize this is also a first world problem.

Can you find Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix? It's a little harder to find mixes this time of year, but I believe all of this brand is vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

There may be hope for the fish-oil-in-everything craze to start fading away now that the big study linking fish oil/omegas from marine sources to prostate cancer has been released. Of course, soy-is-the-devil will still get the most publicity. Soy needs to fire its publicist, stat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

karichelle wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
Ginny Messina posted a link on FB to The Laziest Vegans in the World review of So Delicious Cashew Milk, asking if anyone had tried it, and the first response out of the gate (and a number of responses after that) was "EEK! CARRAGEENAN!!"

I would love it if she were to do a post debunking the whole carrageenan scare.

On this note, it drives me nuts when a company or blogger posts something about a new product and everyone is like, "But is it non-GMO?" or "OMG GMOS!" If you're not interested in the product, move on. And all of these people freaking out on Facebook about GMOs better not eat at chain restaurants or any non-organic processed foods with corn or soy in them. Somehow though I bet it's like the locavores who grab the occasional burger at McD's.

Whenever I check the Almond Breeze page to see if they have any new coupons, their wall is covered with posts about how people aren't buying their stuff until they take out the carrageenan. Okay. Suggest a replacement? Because they add it for a reason and you would notice a difference if they just took it out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

mollyjade wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

Can you find Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix? It's a little harder to find mixes this time of year, but I believe all of this brand is vegan.

I've never tried that. Thank you, I'll look for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a friend who was vegetarian for a while, because she "loved animals and didn't want them to be killed". And then one day at a barbecue, she said the hamburgers "smelled too delicious" for her to abstain, and it's like she decided to eat as much meat as possible from then on. And now she posts on fb about things like roasting pig carcasses, which I totally do not need to see on my newsfeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:34 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

This isn't really a peeve...it goes beyond that....like it super upsets me....but I'm posting it here anyway.

When people throw away animal products because they're too full/it's too salty/too spicy/can't be bothered to wrap it up for later/etc, etc, etc.

I mean, not only did that animal live a horrid life, then die for their lunch, but then get tossed in the trash without a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chicki wrote:

If that wasn't shitty enough, my company has a bunch of tickets, and as the marketing events person, I have to promote them.

I would like to join the protests outside, but since my company has a tight partnership with the venue, that would be a bad idea, in case someone saw me. And they know me, so I would be recognized. Boo.

Wear a costume?

ETA yeah, I thought other people might have had that idea too.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

News story about couple who fed their cat a vegan diet which almost killed him/her. Cue flurry of 'omg vegans are so stoopid' articles :(

(I kind of agree that those particular people were not too smart though)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

PorshaJo wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
Desperately trying to find vegan bread at my corner grocery store, I found a promising looking one, but it said it had omega-3s, and sure enough...FISH! In bread! Barf. Luckily I found another, vegan, one for my tofuna salad sandwiches.

Eww. Gross. Why on earth would someone put FISH, in any form, in bread? Bread can be baked with such nominal, basic ingredients. I don't get the eggs and fish in bread.

Glad you found a vegan one though.

Ugh. This is the worst. Once i was buying peanut butter for my pie to enter in the county fair, and i almost bought the omega-3 kind before realizing it had anchovies. This has also happened with carrot juice. Now i know to check whenever it says "Omega-3" on the package.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

dropscone wrote:
Chicki wrote:

Wear a costume?

ETA yeah, I thought other people might have had that idea too.

I would instead donate money to something like an elephant rescue or Vegan Outreach instead. Unless you can afford to lose your job, it would not be worth the risk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

geeksweetheart wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
geeksweetheart wrote:

I've never tried that. Thank you, I'll look for it.

Whole Foods has a vegan stuffing mix, too. I liked it quite a bit, and I saw it at my whole foods the other day randomly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kroger here has Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes year round, but...this is WV, and we do need year round stuffing.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 am 
Tofu Pup

tofucheez wrote:
This isn't really a peeve...it goes beyond that....like it super upsets me....but I'm posting it here anyway.

When people throw away animal products because they're too full/it's too salty/too spicy/can't be bothered to wrap it up for later/etc, etc, etc.

I mean, not only did that animal live a horrid life, then die for their lunch, but then get tossed in the trash without a thought.

That's a really good point. The other day I saw someone on a vegan Facebook page say they were proud they had talked someone in the grocery line into leaving their pack of hotdogs and it would probably get thrown out because it had been out of the fridge. That didn't sit right with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 am 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
People 'confessing' on my FB wall about how they "slipped" back into eating meat. Yeah, I don't care. Eat whatever you want.

'slipped' my great-aunt Fanny ... they walked into eating meat again ... deliberately!

I have not eaten any meat for over 30 years and you know what? it has not been all
that difficult ... you just don't ... even at the most dire restaurants / dinner parties there
are always things to eat ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:34 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

even if there aren't any options at all, nobody is going to waste away by waiting a couple of hours to eat after the party.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 am 
WRETCHED

I think posting on someone's wall a confessional is pretty shitty but I think there are a lot of reasons people are tied to meat. I can't ever imagine eating again but a lot of people 'try' vegetarianism or veganism. Some may become vegetarian or vegan later with initial failed attempts for various reasons. I figure that if you want to eat meat, eat meat. Don't tell someone who has probably encouraged you on not eating meat and possibly given you resources and recipes that you can't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 am 
Nooch of Earl

vibrant_vegan wrote:
tofucheez wrote:

That's a really good point. The other day I saw someone on a vegan Facebook page say they were proud they had talked someone in the grocery line into leaving their pack of hotdogs and it would probably get thrown out because it had been out of the fridge. That didn't sit right with me.

I would be surprised if they didn't just put it back in the refrigerator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 481  Next