| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 424  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Apparently some people who claim to be vegan do this. My dietitian when I was in the hospital told me that other 'vegans' ate fish while being a patient there. I told well then they weren't vegan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My sister used to call herself vegetarian when she ate fish, "because it's easier for other people to understand."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Sometimes I just want to scream, "Words mean things, People!!!" Not just about vegan/vegetarian/omnivore, but with all sorts of things. Just use the word that means what you are actually trying to say and save everyone the headache!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

People keep bringing up fish in this thread and I am really craving fish and is the only thing pregan I really miss.

Craving it means my body NEEDS IT, right? My body is crying out for tuna!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 pm 
Grandfathered In

I just ate fake shrimp that really look like shrimp but only kind of taste like shrimp and they're pretty gross but you eat them with tons of cocktail sauce, so who cares, because that's the best part anyway.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The breaded fish fillets from Sophie's Kitchen taste just like minced fish fillets. The texture is more like chicken, but the flavor is there. I have the shrimp in my freezer but haven't tried it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

dropscone wrote:
chouettes crêpes wrote:
so who woulda thunk but i got upset about an insensitive facebook post!

it's one of those people who i don't understand how i got to be fb friends with. she posts: ten years ago today at [fast food chain] i decided to become vegetarian. i celebrated that night by eating ribs and wings at [same fast food chain]. while i do love ribs, i think i'll be continuing another 10 years of vegetarianism.

what the what??? i want to post something nasty and snarky but that's hardly good for the cause (or my psyche).

I don't understand? Aren't they just saying that they ate meat on their last day as an omni' and while they still like the taste of meat even ten years on they're sticking to the decision to stay veg? The 'that night' indicates the past to me. I don't read it as 'I tried ribs again after ten years of being veg', if that's how you're reading it?

the post was confusing, but i thought she was implying that she ate ribs on her 10year anniversary of being vegetarian and then concluded that even though dead animals are tasty, she'd continue to (mostly?) not eat them. i think i left out the word "tonight, " before, "i celebrated..."

i agree with lavawitch that yes, 9 years and 364 days without meat is great, but to casually make a public post that to me says, "but the taste of dead animals who suffered is still really good" seems kinda insulting to the cause. it kinda begs for those super pro-meat-eaters to be like, "yeah, rip those carcasses up!" i dunno... i just found it a little vulgar. it probably doesn't help that i'm exaggerating its awfulness in my head.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The Sophie's Kitchen shrimp is... weird. The texture's not super pleasant and it doesn't really taste like anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:57 pm 
WRETCHED

My pet peeve is that no one told me what Rita's was. I've been vegan for 6 years or so, driven by a Rita's near my house for years, mourned my old ocassional McD's soft serve summer treat, dealt with occasional sucky Icees from 7-11 and didn't realize I had another option. Sure I could go to the store and buy ice cream but that isn't always convenient. I just looked it up and their website mentions something like 20 flavors of non dairy ice cream. PPK, I'm disappointed in you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
My pet peeve is that no one told me what Rita's was. I've been vegan for 6 years or so, driven by a Rita's near my house for years, mourned my old ocassional McD's soft serve summer treat, dealt with occasional sucky Icees from 7-11 and didn't realize I had another option. Sure I could go to the store and buy ice cream but that isn't always convenient. I just looked it up and their website mentions something like 20 flavors of non dairy ice cream. PPK, I'm disappointed in you.

I think it's just the Italian ices that are vegan there, not the cream ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
I just ate fake shrimp that really look like shrimp but only kind of taste like shrimp and they're pretty gross but you eat them with tons of cocktail sauce, so who cares, because that's the best part anyway.
I chop those up with pickles, Vegenaise, dill, salt, and pepper and squish it between slices of white bread with the crusts off for ironic tea sandwiches.
karichelle wrote:
The breaded fish fillets from Sophie's Kitchen taste just like minced fish fillets. The texture is more like chicken, but the flavor is there. I have the shrimp in my freezer but haven't tried it yet.
I made the best fellatio fish (yuk-yuk) sandwiches with those using sliced Daiya wedge, tartar sauce, and shredded lettuce.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I make the same kind of sandwich except with Tofutti slices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Desdemona wrote:
fellatio fish

huh wut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 pm 
WRETCHED

Larisa wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Italian ice. Where I grew up, you were lucky to have a sorbet available at an ice cream place. I just wasn't aware that I had options so close to home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

linanil wrote:
Larisa wrote:
linanil wrote:

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Italian ice. Where I grew up, you were lucky to have a sorbet available at an ice cream place. I just wasn't aware that I had options so close to home.

Italian ice is like flavored ice, in little tiny icy pieces. There's no creaminess to it. It's still really good, and the Rita's ones have good flavors, but it's more like an Icee than like ice cream. At Rita's, they use at least some actual fruit in the fruit-flavored ones, though, not whatever "flavor" 7-11 uses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

creep wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
fellatio fish

huh wut
Yeah, you heard me. (That's what my sister and I used to call the McDonald's prototype, and I can never think of it as anything else!)

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

linanil wrote:
Larisa wrote:
linanil wrote:

Rita's is like the best thing ever. I am addicted. Although Italian ice ranges in texture from "flavored brick of ice" to "Slurpee," I think Rita's is the closest you're going to get to creamy. Just watch out for those cream ices! Chocolate and vanilla are my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've never even heard of Rita's before. Is it a chain?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

It is a chain on the east coast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I live on the east coast! I feel so out of the loop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've never heard of it but Google tells me there is one on the Upper West Side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

blondiefk wrote:
I've never heard of it but Google tells me there is one on the Upper West Side.

There is! When I worked at st Luke's I walked all the way down to penn station via broadway after work for mind clearing and exercise and would often stop by for an ice. In the 70s I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

I see, they're one of those companies where their locations are mainly in and around NYC. Everyone forgets about us upstate NY people. :/ If Rochester and Buffalo can get vegan awesomeness, why can't the capital region???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

karichelle wrote:
SassyOh wrote:
creep wrote:
Customer at work was talking about her diet, and she doesn't eat meat, dairy, or eggs, but eats fish. She was like "I'm almost vegan! But I eat fish. I guess I'm plant-powered!" It's really awesome that she doesn't eat all that stuff, but a fish is not a plant, and "plant-powered" is one of the most annoying fads ever.

"Almost vegans" are driving me nuts these days. They're omnivores. That's fine. One of my best friends doesn't eat meat and eats next to no dairy or eggs, but she still calls herself an omnivore because she feels it's the most accurate label. Jeez! Just own it, omnis!

I saw someone arguing on Facebook last night that she is a "pescar vegan"...defined by her as a vegan who eats fish...and that this is a valid type of veganism as designated by some made-up book called "Types of Vegans for Dummies." Several people told her why she should not use the word vegan, because she is pescetarian and it causes confusion for people who actually ARE vegan, because it gives credence to the mistaken notion that vegans eat fish.

When my SIL was a vegan-who-ate-fish she called herself an aqua-vegan. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I see, they're one of those companies where their locations are mainly in and around NYC. Everyone forgets about us upstate NY people. :/ If Rochester and Buffalo can get vegan awesomeness, why can't the capital region???

We have three vegan places! Three!

When I'm up there I really miss all the vegan food in NYC.

Reply to topic  [ 10593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263 ... 424  Next