| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 505  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Sorry dude. Add it to the peeves. We are in Ithaca now which is great but it peeves me that I live in a much more densely and heavily populated area with far crappier mainstream vegan food choices locally (besides Rita's of course). There are two totally normal ice cream places here with vegan ice cream (not just sorbet)! Crappy little pizza parlor carried two kinds of vegan cheese! There is vegan pho! Bagel joint's got soy milk and almond milk and tofutti and daiya (i have nothing good to say about their bagels, unfortunately). The coop sells teese! What the what, New Jersey!? Get with the program!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

blondiefk wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I see, they're one of those companies where their locations are mainly in and around NYC. Everyone forgets about us upstate NY people. :/ If Rochester and Buffalo can get vegan awesomeness, why can't the capital region???

We have three vegan places! Three!

Three is nothing and it's only if you live near those places. Where I lived, there wasn't any public transportation and I didn't know how to drive so I was never able to get to the bakery which was the closest thing around me. There was Lil' Buddha's which was okay that one time when I went but they close randomly sometimes and their seating was awful. There's a Loving Hut type place in Delmar which is way away from me and I've heard nothing good about. Then there's Little Anthony's which I don't like and had bad experiences with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was being sarcastic. I also don't drive. And I live in Rotterdam so the bus there runs once an hour.

Also, X's to O's, but I rarely go to Troy either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I had a bagel the other day that /was not salted/. Of course I had to eat it plain, because there was no hummus or veggie cream cheese or whatever, but the bread itself was NOT. SALTED. There ought to be a law.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Ariann wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
I've never heard of it but Google tells me there is one on the Upper West Side.

There is! When I worked at st Luke's I walked all the way down to penn station via broadway after work for mind clearing and exercise and would often stop by for an ice. In the 70s I think.

I thought you meant you would do this in the '70s and I thought "wow! Ariann's a lot older than I thought!"

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 am 
***LIES!!!***

Hahahaha. I worked and/or schooled in that neighborhood in the 00s and 10s.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:19 pm 
Grandfathered In

The fake shrimp I'm talking about aren't the Sophie's. It's some mysterious frozen, starch-based concoction that's shrimp-shaped, shrimp-colored, shrimp-rubbery, and faintly shrimp-flavored. Like shrimp-cocktail shrimp. Purchased at Sidecar.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Vantine wrote:
dropscone wrote:
Chicki wrote:
The circus is coming to town. :(

If that wasn't shitty enough, my company has a bunch of tickets, and as the marketing events person, I have to promote them.

I would like to join the protests outside, but since my company has a tight partnership with the venue, that would be a bad idea, in case someone saw me. And they know me, so I would be recognized. Boo.

Wear a costume?

ETA yeah, I thought other people might have had that idea too.

I would instead donate money to something like an elephant rescue or Vegan Outreach instead. Unless you can afford to lose your job, it would not be worth the risk.

Maybe I will donate! We also do two huge events at racetracks, one of which is coming up (expect a Chicki post this thread about it soon!), and I always have leftover betting vouchers, and any winnings go to a racehorse rescue charity.

I love my job, but the circus and racing events are though. I try to put on a fake smile, and off set with other activities. I want to do some kind of program in the office for an animal rescue or something, but I am soooo busy at work, any additional work right now makes me want to cry and sleep forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
The fake shrimp I'm talking about aren't the Sophie's. It's some mysterious frozen, starch-based concoction that's shrimp-shaped, shrimp-colored, shrimp-rubbery, and faintly shrimp-flavored. Like shrimp-cocktail shrimp. Purchased at Sidecar.
These sound like the ones they sell frozen at our local Loving Hut. They look like shrimp, but they neither taste nor "feel" like shrimp. Which is fine.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The only peanut butter I've been able to find so far after two weeks in Brazil has got motherforking honey in it. Yes, HONEY. Why?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, peanut butter. I had a tough time finding it in Costa Rica. When I did I got really silly. Like a dog protecting its food. Good luck on your quest!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:09 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh man! Peanut butter! I love the stuff and just moved from a peanut-butter loving country (The Netherlands) to a not-so-much-with-the-pb-love country (Belgium). You can get it here, but a small jar here costs twice what a huge jar in The Netherlands cost, and not every supermarket has it. I brought a massive stockpile with me and now when I see recipes that call for 3/4 cup peanut butter, I'm like "ARE YOU CRAZY?"

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I will never again take for granted the abundance, yum-ness, and affordability of peanut butter (where I live). It's a nearly perfect food for a cash strapped vegan like me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:27 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

if someone is going to bisque about how something is so 'processed' then forking don't eat it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Not so much a vegan peeve as an anthropocentrism peeve/WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE? I should have known better than to click when I saw this on STFU Parents' FB page, because now I am basically blinded by incoherent rage. As one of the many, many, MANY people who are capable of loving animals and children (something obviously beyond the writer's limited powers of comprehension), I feel like this horrible person shouldn't have either. Apologies in advance for any fury-induced migraines that may result from reading this piece of selfish, shallow crepe.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fami ... puppy.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Desdemona wrote:
Not so much a vegan peeve as an anthropocentrism peeve/WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE? I should have known better than to click when I saw this on STFU Parents' FB page, because now I am basically blinded by incoherent rage. As one of the many, many, MANY people who are capable of loving animals and children (something obviously beyond the writer's limited powers of comprehension), I feel like this horrible person shouldn't have either. Apologies in advance for any fury-induced migraines that may result from reading this piece of selfish, shallow crepe.

That just made my chest tighten with fury.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

allularpunk wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

That just made my chest tighten with fury.
I know. There's no point in posting any sort of rebuttal because a person that small-minded isn't worth then effort of engaging, and I'm probably too angry to be articulate anyway. But man - do I feel like punching something right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Holy shiitake. that's the worst/most evil thing I've ever read. this person is maybe a sociopath?
Quote:
A friend of mine once told me that before he had a kid, he would have run into a burning building to save his cats. Now that he has a kid, he would happily drown the cats in the bathtub if it would help his son take a longer nap. Here is how I feel about that statement: Velvel, avoid the bathroom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Holy shiitake. that's the worst/most evil thing I've ever read. this person is maybe a sociopath?
Quote:
A friend of mine once told me that before he had a kid, he would have run into a burning building to save his cats. Now that he has a kid, he would happily drown the cats in the bathtub if it would help his son take a longer nap. Here is how I feel about that statement: Velvel, avoid the bathroom.
Horrible. If that was supposed to be funny hyperbole...well, it's not. Like, at all. I seriously feel like adopting that dog. And the kid, for that matter; maybe there's still time for it to avoid being a soulless sociopath like its parents.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah totally. Hyperbole has it's place in these slate articles, but no one who loves animals even a little could write about drowning a pet even to sell a dumb asparagus blog post!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:58 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

God, I'm glad my mom never taught me to have such little patience or compassion for animals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:08 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Okay, I have neither children nor pets, so maybe I am not qualified to have an opinion, but that article horrified me. "Small minded" does not even begin to describe that person.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have kids, and I had a cat. (The cat passed away because she was old and sick.) I loved my cat, and though she's been gone almost 5 years, I still think about her and miss her all the time. I used to wait for my baby to fall asleep so I could have my snuggle time with my cat. Maybe that's not normal, but for fork's sake, neither is the other extreme.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

That's infuriating, but it actually doesn't surprise me (it only surprises me that she's so shameless about it and thinks everyone feels that way!). I know someone who made comments like this about her dog, and I have had... negative (not sure how to put it) feelings about her ever since. Their dog was adored pre-kids, now it's like the dog is just a nuisance. I've seen a lot of people neglect or re-home their animals once they have kids. It's really, really disappointing.

In contrast, I'm the youngest of three, and my parents adopted two dogs when I was about a year old. And those dogs were loved and had great lives! Pretty sure my parents aren't wizards, and these people are just being selfish, whiny jerks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i worked with a veterinarian who put her dog to sleep after she had her first baby. the dog was older, but not ancient (maybe about 11), and he had had some health problems, but she was managing everything well enough. when she was telling us about her decision to euthanize him, she told us that he had been looking at the baby the way he used to look at chickens. like, she was actually afraid that this dog who had lived with her all its life would eat her infant. does that happen? has that ever happened?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 505  Next