| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267 ... 481  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:20 am 
WELFARIST!

The yogurt thing didn't really bother me until I moved to an area with a TJ's and then wanted TJ's yogurt again. I'm not paying $1.50 for one small cup of yogurt, that's insane.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:22 am 
WRETCHED

Well I'm annoyed because there are no other plain unsweetened options so I've stopped eating yogurt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:24 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Dudes, am I the only one on the PPK who likes sweet fruity yoghurt? In the UK Alpro used to have awesome raspberry and vanilla pots, but they replaced them with blackberry ones with weird shrivelled blackberry lumps inside. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 am 
WRETCHED

I don't like sweet yogurt as they all taste too sweet to me, I add my own frozen fruit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Hazel wrote:
Dudes, am I the only one on the PPK who likes sweet fruity yoghurt? In the UK Alpro used to have awesome raspberry and vanilla pots, but they replaced them with blackberry ones with weird shrivelled blackberry lumps inside. :(

You're not alone! I like sweet fruity yogurt too! I really like all the Alpro fruit yogurts, especially the peach one they had for a while in the big containers.

I'm wondering if the fruity yogurts in Europe are less sweet than the ones in the US. In my pregan days, I found the sweetened dairy yogurts in the US sweeter than the ones in Europe. (And also oddly firm, not as creamy as European yogurt.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like both sweetened fruity and unsweetened.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:15 am 
Naked Under Apron

I can't believe I didn't realize until just now that I hadn't seen the Wildwood yogurt in a while! I guess I missed whatever is going on with them. It's still on the website- is it just at fewer stores or is the website a lie?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

lepelaar wrote:
Hazel wrote:

You're not alone! I like sweet fruity yogurt too! I really like all the Alpro fruit yogurts, especially the peach one they had for a while in the big containers.

I'm wondering if the fruity yogurts in Europe are less sweet than the ones in the US. In my pregan days, I found the sweetened dairy yogurts in the US sweeter than the ones in Europe. (And also oddly firm, not as creamy as European yogurt.)

Hmm, could be. Clearly we need an international PPK yoghurt tasting experiment to ascertain the facts. For science!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like some of the fruit flavors just for snacking, but the big tub of unsweetened is nice for cooking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:40 pm 
WRETCHED

I think sometimes vegans should set ground rules with non-vegans they bring to (crowded) vegan restaurants. No talking about how not eating meat is denying your basic human physiology, no talking about raising and killing rabbits, no talking about we really do need meat. I've overheard many conversations in vegan restaurants similar but this was probably the most extended one I've heard, the discussion started when they sat down and ended when they left.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I think sometimes vegans should set ground rules with non-vegans they bring to (crowded) vegan restaurants. No talking about how not eating meat is denying your basic human physiology, no talking about raising and killing rabbits, no talking about we really do need meat. I've overheard many conversations in vegan restaurants similar but this was probably the most extended one I've heard, the discussion started when they sat down and ended when they left.

I've overheard shiitake like that too, even things as simple as "I NEED MEAT, but this is pretty good!" Just shut up about meat for 5 seconds while you're around a massive number of vegans who don't want to hear about it, plzkthx.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, I've been the vegan who brings omnis to a restaurant only to have them talk in detail about how "this doesn't taste like meat and what it needs is bacon and a slice of Swiss harharhar." So while I totally sympathize with the other vegans having to listen to the insipid Vegan Bingo going on at other tables, I think its even more annoying for the vegans they are with, without having to police their omni friends.

I feel like it falls into the same category as any other annoying table conversations (like the people at the table behind us the other day who would not stop talking about their gastric issues - seriously why are you talking about your poop while people are eating?), and you just have to ignore it.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh totally, it annoys me just as much when it's the people I'm with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I don't think there is something you can really do and I wasn't too worried about us but it is definitely the 'is this the appropriate conversation at this moment?' Thing. Also, the restaurant is small and they were pretty loud.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

It is pretty annoying; it's like the Yelp reviews for vegan/vegetarian restaurants that begin, "Now let me make it clear that I'm a HUGE carnivore. Yessirree bob I love me some meat. MEAT, MEAT, MEAT. Oh boy do I love meat!" before going on to write a positive review. It's like, "Okay, now that we've established that you're deeply insecure about your culturally constructed masculinity, maybe you can tell us about the pasta?"

We were at one of our favorite vegan restaurants recently and the male half of the couple seated near us was babbling on and on about something he'd made or eaten involving brisket. He was all, "I know you don't want to hear about it, but that brisket was amazing, you don't know what you're missing, blahblahblah." The woman looked kind of uncomfortable and wasn't responding, and I was thinking, "Actually, I don't think anyone particularly feels like hearing about your brisket (whatever that is)." I mean, is that really necessary? This is a quite small place, the owners are vegan, super nice, and always there, and the food is delicious; so can't you dial back your meat talk for the time it takes to eat one meal?

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I probably mentioned this like 200 thread pages ago, but my personal pet peeve about taking omnis out to eat is: when you bring them to multi-course, set-menu holiday meals at fancy, delicious places like Millennium or Cafe Flora or whatever, and they get all "if I could eat like this every day, I could totally be vegan!" Really? How magnanimous of you. I mean, it's like if I said "If I could eat foie gras stuffed filet mignon with every meal, I would totally think omnivore food wasn't awful!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm afraid that Whole Soy will discover that their supermarket shelf space has been given to new flavors of "Greek" yogurt <from some random country that is supposed to sound exotic>.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

annabazoo wrote:
I hate when people say "I don't understand why people eat fake meat products. If you want something that is like chicken, then just eat chicken!" Umm, do you understand why most people are vegetarians/vegans? It's not cos we all HATE the taste of meat and dairy; it's cos we care about how much our food suffered before it reached our plate.

Oh my gosh, this is so annoying. I want to reply, "How do you function in your daily life if this is a puzzler for you?" I like deli slices but I don't like to kill animals, therefore I eat plant foods made to taste like deli slices. Holy shiitake, what a revelation! Quick, someone nominate me for a Nobel Prize, I think I just solved a biggin!

annak wrote:
I probably mentioned this like 200 thread pages ago, but my personal pet peeve about taking omnis out to eat is: when you bring them to multi-course, set-menu holiday meals at fancy, delicious places like Millennium or Cafe Flora or whatever, and they get all "if I could eat like this every day, I could totally be vegan!" Really? How magnanimous of you. I mean, it's like if I said "If I could eat foie gras stuffed filet mignon with every meal, I would totally think omnivore food wasn't awful!"

Ughhhh, yes! You know, if I could have a raw vegan personal chef, I could totally be a raw vegan! If I could afford a maid, I could totally be a tidy person! If I could get a massage everyday, I could totally be less of a crasshole in real life!

I'm full of peas and vinegar today. Time to get off the internets!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:26 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Silk has come out with a new vanilla yogurt. It is absolutely disgusting and tastes like they made it by time traveling back 20 years and stealing a soy yogurt formula. Chalky, runny, and just doesn't taste good.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've tried a couple of Silk's fruity yogurts, and they're sickly sweet. I felt like I had a slimy sugary film over my teeth afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

lepelaar wrote:
Hazel wrote:

I definitely think UK yoghurts are less sweet than US/Canada ones. I can barely stomach the sweetness of fruity yoghurts here, but when I was living in the UK I was kind of an Alpro junkie. I still liked their plain yoghurt best, but the fact that their fruit flavours weren't essentially Go-Gurt was a definite plus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:06 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

couroupita wrote:
Ughhhh, yes! You know, if I could have a raw vegan personal chef, I could totally be a raw vegan! If I could afford a maid, I could totally be a tidy person! If I could get a massage everyday, I could totally be less of a crasshole in real life!

Sing it!

I am peeved about the shelf space of Greek yogurt. I was looking for that Goodbelly stuff a couple of weeks ago and that was when I noticed there are 18,000 types of Greek yogurt displacing other important things in the case. AAAUGHH!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:03 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

xGreenling wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

I definitely think UK yoghurts are less sweet than US/Canada ones. I can barely stomach the sweetness of fruity yoghurts here, but when I was living in the UK I was kind of an Alpro junkie. I still liked their plain yoghurt best, but the fact that their fruit flavours weren't essentially Go-Gurt was a definite plus.

Yeah, hearing all the yoghurt brouhahas in the US makes me really appreciate our UK brands -although the company VBites-formerly-Redwoods has some gnarly pea-based ones that don't really thrill me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Does anyone else remember when yogurt (the dairy kind) wasn't sweet? Dannon used to be tart, with fruit on the bottom you stirred in. I think all the sugar was in the fruit and not actually in the yogurt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah--most people only like things super, super sweet. When I bring baked goods in to work, people either love them or say they aren't sweet enough.

It's not news that I'm a Starbucks junkie, but I'm always amazed how sweet the drinks are. I have to remember to edit anything new that I try to have only 1-2 pumps of syrup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267 ... 481  Next