| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 507  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There definitely is a difference to european and american palettes in general, I think.
I've tried a whole lot of american sweets, and they're always SO SO sweet, I get a serious blood sugar high (and crash) when I eat them - and I am a candy fiend. I was super surprised when I had fancy american dark chocolate the first time - it tasted exactly like the super sweet cheap chocolate that only old people buy here. It even said "extra dark" and "bittersweet" or something like that on the packaging. Here, if it's not 70% cocoa, it's not dark chocolate :) It seems like we have very different breakfast cultures as well; you can only buy a fraction of the sugary cereals that you can get in most other western countries, and I've never actually met anyone who considered it to be a serious breakfast food. People either buy it as a sugary snack or as a treat, and we don't have anything with frosting or anything like that. Actually, we don't really frost our cakes either - traditionally, it's either a little powdered sugar on top, or a thin glaze.
That's not to say that danes are healthier, though; generally, people drink A LOT of alcohol here. Maybe it's our love of beer that keeps us loving bittersweet chocolate, haha!

I love the fruity alpro yogurts! We used to have these delicious strawberry flavoured yogurts in the tub, but now they changed to tetra pak and blueberry with little pieces of blueberries in it, and it's not NEARLY as delicious. I used to buy a tub a week; now I don't even get the fruity version once a month! You can still get the tiny tubs in 4 packs with good flavours, but I want a bigger size, dammit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Better soygurt is definitely in the top 10 things I miss about Europe. The Alpro was OK, but I used to absolutely love Sojade. I know there's since become some uncertainty about it possibly using dairy cultures, but it wasn't listed in the ingredients so at the time I bought it. And it absolutely nailed the balance between sweet and tangy, though the texture was a bit thin.

I have to say my homemade soygurt (Artisan Vegan Cheese recipe) is as good as any plain one in the stores.

ETA: The old Silk formulations were the only ones I didn't think were too sweet. The new ones taste very sweet to me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm 
WRETCHED

blondiefk wrote:
Does anyone else remember when yogurt (the dairy kind) wasn't sweet? Dannon used to be tart, with fruit on the bottom you stirred in. I think all the sugar was in the fruit and not actually in the yogurt.

I used to do yoplait once in a while but then switched to tubs of plain yogurt or Greek yogurt and add berries, I don't think either of those were sweetened but I could be wrong. When we switched to vegan yogurts, we would just buy the large tubs still.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

annak wrote:
Better soygurt is definitely in the top 10 things I miss about Europe. The Alpro was OK, but I used to absolutely love Sojade. I know there's since become some uncertainty about it possibly using dairy cultures, but it wasn't listed in the ingredients so at the time I bought it. And it absolutely nailed the balance between sweet and tangy, though the texture was a bit thin.

I have to say my homemade soygurt (Artisan Vegan Cheese recipe) is as good as any plain one in the stores.

ETA: The old Silk formulations were the only ones I didn't think were too sweet. The new ones taste very sweet to me.

Sojade is certified by the Vegan Society and I am confident that they would not do so if dairy was used in production.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Imogen wrote:
annak wrote:

Sojade is certified by the Vegan Society and I am confident that they would not do so if dairy was used in production.

That's good to hear. I mentioned it on the France thread a couple years ago and it seemed like there was uncertainty, so I'm glad it's been resolved.

This way I can openly admit that it's the best soygurt!!

Actually I do have to say when the So Delicious *soy* yogurts were briefly available that cinnamon roll one hit it out of the park. It was perfect. But of course SOY BAD so the coconut ones that aren't as good and cost 2x as much took over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The cost increase with almond and coconut yogurts isn't even the worst thing (and that is bad enough). They are basically junk food! There is no protein in them. I could kind of justify $1.99 once in a while if I at least got a decent breakfast out of one (I used to like adding grape nuts).

As it is, I may as well buy a $4 box of cookies instead of 2 yogurt.

I've been wondering though--anybody know if you can bake ok with the almond and coconut yogurts when a recipe calls for soy ygurt. I've been hesitant to try (because $1.99!) since the fat/protein content is so different.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think I've used the coconut ones and not had a problem.

I also used the coconut plain to culture my first batch of plain soygurt, which I make from soaked cashews mixed with a box of costco soymilk. It's really easy and you don't need a yogurt maker. It took me years (and a soymilk shortage) to take the plunge but for baking applications it's worked great. I've also made good ranch dressing/dip with it, haven't tried sweetening it with fruit yet but I'm sure it would be fine. I'll probably occasionally buy soygurt for the convenience but it's so easy and SO much cheaper than tubs that I can't see going back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have no excuse to not make yogurt. I actually have a yogurt maker (that I've never used). I should get on that. I'm just forking lazy these days that everything is too much work. Heck, a shower this morning was too much work, so was making toast and jam for lunch, so I just didn't eat until it was time to make toast and jam for Molly. That was too much work also, but she looks at me with her big white eyes and I'll do whatever she says.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What do you start a yogurt culture with? Recipes I've used were either dairy from before or use unsweetened soy yogurt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

blondiefk wrote:
What do you start a yogurt culture with? Recipes I've used were either dairy from before or use unsweetened soy yogurt.

You can pay a lot to special order a vegan yogurt culture or just use store bought vegan yogurt of some description. Then you can just start your next batch with a bit from your previous batch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Besides Silk, aoo I can get here is the So Delicious yogurts and I bake with them.

I'm in the middle on yogurt sweetness, I love sugary things but I don't like my yogurt super sweet. The new soy Silk yogurts and O'Soy (before I found out it's not vegan) are overly sweet, but the only plain yogurt I can eat is So Delicious because I think it still tastes a little sweet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Aw. No, I get it - I have a toddler and a cat who does not get as much attention as he should and a deployed husband and like I said I have put it off for YEARS but when I finally tried it - I even went lazier than the recipe and just put my vitamix on the soup setting for ~2 minutes until it got to the right temperature, then whizzed in the yogurt for culturing - and you just wrap it in a towel and stick it in a warm spot (in Virginia, this would be outside), go about your business for 8 hours, and bam, you have soymilk. Plus you can do it right before you make a smoothie so it's not even an extra blender clean.

If it required more than like 3 minutes of active effort I would not be encouraging anyone to do it!! But it really is THAT easy. And if you think about how much time you spend to save so much money.. I mean, a few T of soymilk, ~1/2 c cashews, a quart of aseptic soymilk.... how much does that cost? And it makes almost 5c, compared to $2 for 5 or 6 stinking ounces of commercial stuff?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

blondiefk wrote:

I used unsweetened coconut yogurt, because I wanted something that could be used for savory applications off the bat, not to gradually dilute something really sweet and fruity.

It worked great! The next batch I made from previous homemade yogurt. It turned out a bit thicker, but that could've been some other variables.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've never seen unsweetened coconut yogurt near me. Is it So Delicious brand?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Actually by unsweetened I meant "plain." Which probably has some sugar in it because every frickin' thing has sugar (not sure whether it's necessary for fermentation, but coconut seems naturally a bit sweet so who knows.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I've used coconut yogurt for both baking and cooking applications where I'd usually use soy. Couldn't tell the difference. Also, it seems to last longer in the fridge than soy. I'll probably still go back to soy if it's not more expensive, but I haven't found any other reason to think coconut yogurt is inferior. (I feel the opposite about coconut ice cream though...I like soy ice cream way better.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I've gotten moldy coconut yogurt that was within its sell by date and had come straight from the store! And the big downside of the So Delicious *soy* yogurts was the occasional moldy batch as well, so they seem to just straight up have some issues, but I want double blind studies on the 'gurt longevity issue now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
I've used coconut yogurt for both baking and cooking applications where I'd usually use soy. Couldn't tell the difference. Also, it seems to last longer in the fridge than soy. I'll probably still go back to soy if it's not more expensive, but I haven't found any other reason to think coconut yogurt is inferior. (I feel the opposite about coconut ice cream though...I like soy ice cream way better.)

I'd rather have the protein in the soy yogurt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 am 
WELFARIST!

I made a thread for our soy yogurt talk because I know that this annoyed people before viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28197

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My aunt picked up one of my raw vegan cookbooks. I thought I had managed to inspire her. No...... she wanted to try kill a wasp. Luckily she couldn't find the wasp again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I made a thread for our soy yogurt talk because I know that this annoyed people before viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28197

Thank you!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:45 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Hazel wrote:
Dudes, am I the only one on the PPK who likes sweet fruity yoghurt? In the UK Alpro used to have awesome raspberry and vanilla pots, but they replaced them with blackberry ones with weird shrivelled blackberry lumps inside. :(

The long life vanilla custard pots with frozen raspberries added in are really delicious! (if you just care about taste, rather than pro-biotics or whatever it is that's supposed to be good in live yoghurt).

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see there was an embargo on yoghurt talk in this thread.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

couroupita wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
I hate when people say "I don't understand why people eat fake meat products. If you want something that is like chicken, then just eat chicken!" Umm, do you understand why most people are vegetarians/vegans? It's not cos we all HATE the taste of meat and dairy; it's cos we care about how much our food suffered before it reached our plate.

Oh my gosh, this is so annoying. I want to reply, "How do you function in your daily life if this is a puzzler for you?" I like deli slices but I don't like to kill animals, therefore I eat plant foods made to taste like deli slices. Holy shiitake, what a revelation! Quick, someone nominate me for a Nobel Prize, I think I just solved a biggin!

I had to explain this again this weekend. Urgh.

smoothie wrote:
There definitely is a difference to european and american palettes in general, I think.
I've tried a whole lot of american sweets, and they're always SO SO sweet, I get a serious blood sugar high (and crash) when I eat them - and I am a candy fiend. I was super surprised when I had fancy american dark chocolate the first time - it tasted exactly like the super sweet cheap chocolate that only old people buy here. It even said "extra dark" and "bittersweet" or something like that on the packaging. Here, if it's not 70% cocoa, it's not dark chocolate :) It seems like we have very different breakfast cultures as well; you can only buy a fraction of the sugary cereals that you can get in most other western countries, and I've never actually met anyone who considered it to be a serious breakfast food. People either buy it as a sugary snack or as a treat, and we don't have anything with frosting or anything like that. Actually, we don't really frost our cakes either - traditionally, it's either a little powdered sugar on top, or a thin glaze.

I'm with you; I've eaten pastries (pregan) in the US that I found almost unbearably sweet. Inversely, many French sweets (especially fruit pies) are very very tart and might be considered unedible by people not used to the acidity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I also found a difference in tolerance for spiciness, at least in France. I found that things that French menus or chefs said were really spicy tasted maybe slightly spicy to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hostel food thieves! Argh!

If I wasn't vegan, I could at least eat some of the food that other people have left when they moved on from the hostel which is in the communal food place. Instead, dinner today was spaghetti with plain tomato sauce as someone had eaten the delicious olive and pepper pasta sauce I made a double portion of the other day so I could use it for two dinners. It really irks me that the person who took it in all likelihood isn't even vegan, just lazy, and didn't care whose food they stole.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 507  Next