| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 493  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:50 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm not a big sweets person in general but the chocolate I bought in Europe (Germany/Switzerland) seemed very similar to American chocolates to me but I don't know. I can't remember eating too many desserts when I was in Germany, Switzerland or Greece.

The only thing I remember absolutely not liking was mineral water, I don't know how people drink it. I bought a case by accident upon arriving in Switzerland for a weeklong trip. Luckily the boy I was with at the time liked it. I tried to flatten it to see if that would make it drinkable but it only made it worse. Otherwise I think Europe, as far as I've seen of it, is pretty cool in the food/drinks area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

smoothie wrote:
There definitely is a difference to european and american palettes in general, I think.
I've tried a whole lot of american sweets, and they're always SO SO sweet, I get a serious blood sugar high (and crash) when I eat them - and I am a candy fiend.

Haha, this is exactly the opposite of the Simpsons episode where they go to Britain, and Bart and Lisa get a crazy sugar high cos they're not used to the sweets.

My vegan pet peeve of the day is only having vanilla soymilk when i want to make something savory, which is usually mac n cheese. I always just do it anyways and usually it's not too sweet or vanilla tasting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am seriously considering starting a facebook group titled "enough with the greek yogurt already". or "stop the greek yogurt before it takes over the entire store". or "smash the fascist greek yogurt oppressor".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

people who hate tofu but have only had it strait from the package....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This isn't a peeve but I don't know where else to put it. I spend half my time telling vegan haters how healthy my diet is (they don't believe it can be), and the other half telling vegan haters how unhealthy my diet is (they don't believe it can be). So being vegan has made me a liar at least half the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:19 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Efcliz wrote:
This isn't a peeve but I don't know where else to put it. I spend half my time telling vegan haters how healthy my diet is (they don't believe it can be), and the other half telling vegan haters how unhealthy my diet is (they don't believe it can be). So being vegan has made me a liar at least half the time.

Yes! I actually had to do both in the same conversation recently. We went out to dinner with this couple in anticipation of the wedding. (As an aside, my bf was supposed to be the best man, but he got into a fight with the bride-to-be at dinner and we got a call last night that he was welcome at the wedding but his services as best man were no longer required.)

The bisque spent the whole night challenging my veganism again, once again despite my not bringing it up once, except when I was ordering my food. She seemed to take varying tacks: the "vegan food can't be healthy because there's no way to make meat analogues without CHEMICALS" tack (forget that everything is made of chemicals, she wouldn't believe me that it was possible to make them out of what even she would consider "natural" ingredients), and the "Isn't it contradictory for you to be a vegan and smoke? Vegans are only supposed to do uber-healthy things!" tack.

Seriously, you can't win with these people.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I hate it when omnis go on and on about how limiting veganism is, and then turn their nose to anything different. Happened the other night when I made sushi for a pen and paper RPG night. It wasn't because it was vegan, it was because he never had sushi before. His girlfriend made him try some, but he just ate some of the rice and the tempura batter on the asparagus. Left the asparagus and other vegetables behind, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Who the hell finds asparagus too exotic?

I, too, cook for game night as 2 of our players (both guys, both omni) are dieting and no one else could figure out how to accomodate all the dietary restrictions in a healthy way. I think I need to have a talk with them about knocking it out with the pickiness and the vegan trash talk, because I really hate putting effort, planning, time and money into feeding ungrateful folks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:11 am 
Discovered unobtainium

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of Americans might find asparagus exotic. It is abundant and fairly cheap in most of Europe compared to here (I was vegetarian at the time, but, *sigh* the asparagus restaurants in NL...). I love asparagus but don't even buy it often because it is so hideously expensive and often isn't even all that fresh. And I wouldn't be surprised if people who have only ever had canned asparagus think it pretty gross.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am 
WRETCHED

I love asparagus! I tried to buy canned asparagus once, probably early in my canned food experiment days (we didn't use canned food much if at all growing up) and it was the vilest thing I've ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:40 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

missmuffcake wrote:
people who hate tofu but have only had it strait from the package....

YES!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:04 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Shy Mox wrote:
I hate it when omnis go on and on about how limiting veganism is, and then turn their nose to anything different.

Seriously. My dude is an omni and sometimes it frustrates him that I can only really eat at a couple restaurants around town (I mean, if I want more than just fries and a side salad with no dressing), but he is way pickier than me! Practically no cooked vegetables. And definitely no tempeh, tofu, or seitan. No tomatoes, unless pureed into a marinara or made into a non-chunky salsa. I sometimes tease him about what a picky eater he is, even compared to me the vegan.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annabazoo wrote:
smoothie wrote:
There definitely is a difference to european and american palettes in general, I think.
I've tried a whole lot of american sweets, and they're always SO SO sweet, I get a serious blood sugar high (and crash) when I eat them - and I am a candy fiend.

Haha, this is exactly the opposite of the Simpsons episode where they go to Britain, and Bart and Lisa get a crazy sugar high cos they're not used to the sweets.

Oh man, the english definitely like their sugar as well! Actually, I think it is mostly a bit difference in cakes and pastries and such.. i mean, caramel and gummies etc. will always be like 90% blissful sugar crack, right?

Danes really like salty and sweet licorice as candy! We have the salty licorice. The only person I know who don't like it is my boyfriend. It is one of his biggest character flaws IMO, haha! I like the kind with lots of ammonium chloride. SO good.

Back to vegan pet peeves: this guy in my class eats tuna straight from the can SEVERAL TIMES every day! It smells so bad. I think he's trying to bulk up (he's pretty buff) but ugh. He even had the nerve to (jokingly, but not really) tell me that my food smelled like garlic. And I just thought to myself "well, at least it doesn't smell like cat food!".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Efcliz wrote:

ha! I love this. Same here.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:30 am 
Huffs Nooch

smoothie wrote:
I like the kind with lots of ammonium chloride. SO good.

Nej nej nej:) I'm Danish too, and sorta like some liquorice, especially in icecream, but that ammonium chloride stuff is the worst!
smoothie wrote:
Back to vegan pet peeves: this guy in my class eats tuna straight from the can SEVERAL TIMES every day! It smells so bad. I think he's trying to bulk up (he's pretty buff) but ugh. He even had the nerve to (jokingly, but not really) tell me that my food smelled like garlic. And I just thought to myself "well, at least it doesn't smell like cat food!".

Ew! Canned tuna is disgusting! My closest friend rang me this morning to tell me that she ate a whole can of tuna. "Think of all the protein!"(27 grams of protein pr. 100 grams, apparantly) She was so enthustiastic about it. And all I could think of was all the heavy metals and environmental destruction and drowning animals. I just said, "oh that is a lot of protein. I actually think lentils have around 27 grams of protein pr. 100 grams too, if you'd like a bit of variety"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:31 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lepelaar wrote:

The bisque spent the whole night challenging my veganism again, once again despite my not bringing it up once, except when I was ordering my food. She seemed to take varying tacks: the "vegan food can't be healthy because there's no way to make meat analogues without CHEMICALS" tack (forget that everything is made of chemicals, she wouldn't believe me that it was possible to make them out of what even she would consider "natural" ingredients), and the "Isn't it contradictory for you to be a vegan and smoke? Vegans are only supposed to do uber-healthy things!" tack.

Seriously, you can't win with these people.

yep yep yep. I've gotten both of these in one conversation before too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 am 
Tofu Pup

I am newly eating vegan (almost 1 month in) but I am already getting the, "Are you sure that's healthy?" bit from my dad and friends. Or people roll their eyes like I'm just doing it to be cool or trendy or something. It's frustrating and isolating. That is why I come here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

One of my small peeves is never being sure whether the buns are vegan, when people say that a veggie dog or burger is vegan. It seems like everyone ignores this part of the equation, and I'm guilty of being kind of "don't ask don't tell" about the bun sometimes, too, depending on the situation. Sometimes it's really hard to find out since people don't seem to know what the hell you're talking about, and sometimes packaged buns will have weird ingredients so I can see it might be hard for people in the kitchen to be able to tell you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 am 
Grandfathered In

I am often (usually) a don't-ask-don't-tell vegan when it comes to bread and buns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 am 
Lime and a Coconut

lepelaar wrote:
"vegan food can't be healthy because there's no way to make meat analogues without CHEMICALS"

LOLLLLLLL

heartbreaker_liza wrote:
I am newly eating vegan (almost 1 month in) but I am already getting the, "Are you sure that's healthy?" bit from my dad and friends. Or people roll their eyes like I'm just doing it to be cool or trendy or something. It's frustrating and isolating. That is why I come here. :)

Yay! I'm glad you have the PPK to turn to whenever you feel discouraged or frustrated. Vegan power!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:14 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

FootFace wrote:
I am often (usually) a don't-ask-don't-tell vegan when it comes to bread and buns.

Yep. When I'm buying my own in the store and can read the ingredients, I only buy vegan, but if I'm out at someone's house or a restaurant or somewhere where I can read the ingredient list, I kind of close my eyes and hope for the best.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:26 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Second day in a ROW that the catering company has forked up my lunch order. And I am the event planner. You would think they would be more mindful of my order.

Well, there is a veggie grill nearby. And I am totally expensing my lunch too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

lepelaar wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Yep. When I'm buying my own in the store and can read the ingredients, I only buy vegan, but if I'm out at someone's house or a restaurant or somewhere where I can read the ingredient list, I kind of close my eyes and hope for the best.

OMG, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. It doesn't happen often because I usually offer to bring a vegan option to a BBQ (that's really the only time I eat hot dogs), but sometimes my friends will surprise me with vegan hot dogs and questionable buns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

SassyOh wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
FootFace wrote:

OMG, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. It doesn't happen often because I usually offer to bring a vegan option to a BBQ (that's really the only time I eat hot dogs), but sometimes my friends will surprise me with vegan hot dogs and questionable buns.
"Questionable buns" would be a great name for a band.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

heartbreaker_liza wrote:

I've been vegan for 19 years and since I moved from the city to a rural area, I don't have any interaction with other vegans....except here :)

it is nice, isn't it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 493  Next