| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 482  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Chicki, I recently replaced pretty much all of my work shoes at Aerosoles. Lots of vegan styles right now, quite comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Two pet peeves - both of which are minor and I am only venting because its the pet peeves thread.

1. Went to a great barbecue and brought our own burgers but everything else was vegan and awesome. But the hosts didn't make our burgers until they were done cooking all the meat. So my toddler was literally screaming for chicken, hot dogs and burgers because she was hungry (I was feeding her sides and lots of crackers etc but she wanted the food coming off the grill like her friends). Of course the minute her burger was done she was thrilled and ate 2 of them, but I kind of wish they had made our burgers at the beginning instead of waiting till all the meaty stuff was done (they were awesome and had an all veg grill so we didn't have meaty juice on them). And I know its really minor in the grand scheme of things, especially reading about people whose families make no concessions for them and everything is covered in mayo or stuffed with meat, but its hard to deal with a hungry toddler who can't understand why she can't eat when everyone else is eating. My kid really likes food a lot. She was diving for chicken legs on other people's plate so I had to run fowl interference.

2. My neighbor surrendered his pitbull to the high kill shelter (he told me after she was euthanized) because he didn't have money for vet care and then went out and bought a Yorkie puppy from a petstore. I understand not having money for vet care, but then why buy a new puppy? And the answer is probably that he sees dogs as any other commodity. Its cheaper to just get a new one.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
2. My neighbor surrendered his pitbull to the high kill shelter (he told me after she was euthanized) because he didn't have money for vet care and then went out and bought a Yorkie puppy from a petstore. I understand not having money for vet care, but then why buy a new puppy? And the answer is probably that he sees dogs as any other commodity. Its cheaper to just get a new one.
I think I just had an aneurysm.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tofulish wrote:

This one is not a minor pet peeve! Jesus. That's horrendous and I think you should be commended for not punching him in the face and stealing his new dog before he decides he can't afford to take care of her either.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm 
Semen Strong

My eyelids started to twitch, but this is one of the many supernice neighbors we have and he already has the puppy, so I just didn't feel like saying anything. I generally like everyone on our block, but we have that horrible feud with our neighbors to the right, and I just don't want anyone else pissed at me right now!

Another set of our neighbors is awesome and have two rescue hounds that devastate their yard and they love them enough to permit whatever craziness the hounds get up to. So we love them.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:36 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i wish there was puppy protective services where you could report people like this! what if someone gave their kid up for adoption and then went out and just tried to adopt another one? someone would definitely stop them. ugh. Of course this is even crazier because the first dog was killed. i'm sorry your neighbors are such shitbags :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kelly wrote:
I would like to go to ONE party ever without having to bring our own food. If I knew of any special dietary need of anyone coming to my house for a party or anything, I would want them to be able to eat without bringing their entire families own meals. Sigh.

I feel the same way, but then I feel guilty for being frustrated, since I guess it's a "self-imposed" dietary need. But I even accommodate people's TASTES, not just dietary needs/preferences/allergies, and it's strange to me that other people don't want to do the same. Some family are amazing about making sure we have something to eat, but we're almost always just expected to fend for ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i wish there was puppy protective services where you could report people like this! what if someone gave their kid up for adoption and then went out and just tried to adopt another one? someone would definitely stop them. ugh. Of course this is even crazier because the first dog was killed. i'm sorry your neighbors are such shitbags :(
All of this. I understand your not wanting to get into it with the guy when he'd already euthanized the poor pitty and brought the new puppy home; it's not like you could do anything to change what had been done, but DAMN.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Tofulish wrote:

I am so full of rage over this. Oh my god.

This reminds me: years ago I was friends with a girl who was really into showing dogs, and had two purebred dogs. I kind of had an issue with it, but she clearly loved her dogs to bits and took excellent care of them. But I remember hearing some of her friends talk about someone whose dogs were killed in a fire, and from how they were talking about it, it was like the person had just lost a lot of expensive property.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that happens a lot! I have a friend who is a vet tech and she has a ton of stories about people who didn't want to pay a vet bill for needed care, or give the dog anesthesia for a medical procedure where it would have made the animal more comfortable or put an animal to sleep to end suffering etc, but then show up with a new puppy fresh from the breeder.

We don't live in the best area - and one of other neighbors have a constant stream of little dogs that they don't fix. One appears and is their pet, then it disappears and the next appears, and I don't know where they go, but all dogs need some continuity and at very least they aren't getting that. I hooked them up with free spay and neuter and they just weren't interested. They aren't bad people, in fact they are really nice and funny and helpful to us, they just don't see dogs as beings with a separate value apart from the joy and entertainment they are providing their human. I guess that is why I see it as a vegan pet peeve - animals are more than commodities to us.

The worst story I ever heard was from someone in our park, who let her dog spend 5 days dying on her kitchen floor after she was hit by a car, because the woman didn't have money to take her to a vet. And I don't blame the woman - she has limited money and a limited ability to get around etc. But its hard to listen to those stories and not feel like we need better infrastructure to serve companion and other animals. And at some point, it gets really hard to keep listening and helping, because there are just so many shitty stories and situations, and it doesn't feel like you can impact anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's so sad, Tofulish. Our vet actually euthanizes for free so nobody has to let their animal suffer if they don't have the money. I'm sure it's not a great decision for her financially, but I appreciate that she does it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

A coworker brought me some vegan goodies from a street fair she went to: a bar made with cashews and dried fruits (kind of like a Lara bar) and some vegan chocolates. She also gave me the business card of a company that makes vegan baked goods, whose black bean brownies she tried...she said they were very good so she wanted to let me know about them (she's not vegan, just allergic to so many things she might as well be).

The card says:

"we make vegan things that don't taste vegan...because that would be gross."

Really? All the vegan things I make taste delicious and are not gross. Of course, I never made black bean brownies. Because vegan brownies are only made with beans, right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Angelina wrote:

Really? All the vegan things I make taste delicious and are not gross. Of course, I never made black bean brownies. Because vegan brownies are only made with beans, right?

Ugh, I hate that. Way to reinforce the idea that vegan baked goods = gross and inedible.

I'm at work, and a customer brought in a sandwich tray today as a thank you for some work we did recently. Which is super sweet! But I'm the one who actually did the work on his job and I can't eat a thing on it. Wah wah. A coworker asked me if I couldn't just "pick off the meat" and I used the "would you just pick off some poop?" line that was mentioned upthread somewhere. It's such a great comparison.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Angelina wrote:
A coworker brought me some vegan goodies from a street fair she went to: a bar made with cashews and dried fruits (kind of like a Lara bar) and some vegan chocolates. She also gave me the business card of a company that makes vegan baked goods, whose black bean brownies she tried...she said they were very good so she wanted to let me know about them (she's not vegan, just allergic to so many things she might as well be).

The card says:

Maybe they're trying reverse psychology though? Trying to lead non-veg people to think about what vegan things in general taste like, since they just ate one...

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Tofulish wrote:
I think that happens a lot! I have a friend who is a vet tech and she has a ton of stories about people who didn't want to pay a vet bill for needed care, or give the dog anesthesia for a medical procedure where it would have made the animal more comfortable or put an animal to sleep to end suffering etc, but then show up with a new puppy fresh from the breeder.

We don't live in the best area - and one of other neighbors have a constant stream of little dogs that they don't fix. One appears and is their pet, then it disappears and the next appears, and I don't know where they go, but all dogs need some continuity and at very least they aren't getting that. I hooked them up with free spay and neuter and they just weren't interested. They aren't bad people, in fact they are really nice and funny and helpful to us, they just don't see dogs as beings with a separate value apart from the joy and entertainment they are providing their human. I guess that is why I see it as a vegan pet peeve - animals are more than commodities to us.

The worst story I ever heard was from someone in our park, who let her dog spend 5 days dying on her kitchen floor after she was hit by a car, because the woman didn't have money to take her to a vet. And I don't blame the woman - she has limited money and a limited ability to get around etc. But its hard to listen to those stories and not feel like we need better infrastructure to serve companion and other animals. And at some point, it gets really hard to keep listening and helping, because there are just so many shitty stories and situations, and it doesn't feel like you can impact anything.

I am a vet tech, and I can't even begin to describe how often this sort of thing happens. It makes me livid each and every time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

This guy has invited me out a couple of times to a bar and was telling me about how you buy a pitcher of beer and get a shiitake ton of wings and that's when I let it drop to him that I was vegan and his face just kind of melted into sadness/disappointment as I said it. I really don't understand the reaction- how does that change things? Then he said something about "not being able to do that" and being a "born carnivore" (which I changed in my head to "omnivore") and I was just like, "That's fine." He wasn't trying to be a crasshole or anything and he wasn't saying anything in a mean way- I just don't understand the look of a disappointment. He did add at the end of it though, "Well you can come have a veggie burger then." He was so cute about it but the look of disappointment! What is that???

Prior to this, his friend was telling me about the beer+wings thing, too and I told him I was vegan and I got that look of disappointment. I'm afraid of telling anyone else lest they start crying.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine put up a picture on FB titled "Family Day At The Farm" with her cute little boy standing in front of a tiny baby calf, who had no mother in sight, but was just there to be petted by small children. And I thought "Well its not family day for the poor calf." And got unreasonably sad for the poor baby taken from his mom.

Its so nice to hear of vets who will provide low or no cost care. Its really sad when an animal has to suffer unnecessarily. Our vet hospital will quote you a price before they even take action, which is good because you don't get slammed with a giant bill at the end, but I have definitely been there and seen a family have to make the decision to let their pet die because they can't afford the care, and it is heartbreaking. I was once in and a small dog had been hit by a car that hadn't even stopped. The police officer who took the report told the owners that it wasn't likely they'd ever find the person who hit the dog, so they were unlikely to get vet bills (estimated at $2,000) paid. So then the owners had the dog euthanized.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Compared to the current discussion, this is a PSPTYHWAEPACTYP, but it's still a vegan peeve: instant yeast.

I bought some a while ago in anticipation of trying out a bunch of the bready recipes in Vegan Diner. I've never baked with yeast, always found it intimidating, and Julie Hasson's recipes seem doable. So I was getting ready to try some out and checked out the back of the yeast package for instructions, and noticed that the ingredients were yeast and an emulsifier (e491). Looked it up, and it's sorbitan monostearate which can be either plant or animal derived.

I went to the supermarket today to check a different brand. fork. E491.

Does all instant yeast contain this stuff, or is this a European thing? I've seen more vegan recipes calling for instant yeast, so I'm assuming you can get it without, but where?

(Just e-mailed the company of the packets I have to see if they can specify if they use plant or animal derived emulsifier.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Last edited by lepelaar on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I use this stuff - http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/biscuits-and ... st-1x125g/ which has your suspect e number but it's vegan. I can post you some if you like!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh, E-numbers.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:54 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Mr. Shankly wrote:
This guy has invited me out a couple of times to a bar and was telling me about how you buy a pitcher of beer and get a shiitake ton of wings and that's when I let it drop to him that I was vegan and his face just kind of melted into sadness/disappointment as I said it. I really don't understand the reaction- how does that change things? Then he said something about "not being able to do that" and being a "born carnivore"...
This is where I would have said "But that's fascinating! So, were you an obligate carnivore like a lion, or just a scavenger like a hyena? How and why did you change species? I want to know everything!"

Because I? Am a born bisque.

Last edited by Desdemona on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:57 pm 

dropscone wrote:
I use this stuff - http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/biscuits-and ... st-1x125g/ which has your suspect e number but it's vegan. I can post you some if you like!

Aw, thanks, dropscone! I was editing when you posted that. I've just sent an e-mail to Dr. Oetker (the brand I've got) to see if they can clarify what kind of e491 they use. If they can't (or if it's animal), I'm going to check out the health food store and see what they've got there. I know I've seen the Dove Farm brand here (although not that product) so I can see if it's available anywhere here. If none of that pans out, I may take you up on your sweet offer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 pm 

Desdemona wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
This guy has invited me out a couple of times to a bar and was telling me about how you buy a pitcher of beer and get a shiitake ton of wings and that's when I let it drop to him that I was vegan and his face just kind of melted into sadness/disappointment as I said it. I really don't understand the reaction- how does that change things? Then he said something about "not being able to do that" and being a "born carnivore"...
This is where I would have said "But that's fascinating! So, were you an obligate carnivore like a lion, or just a scavenger like a hyena? How and why did you change species? I want to know everything!"

Because I? Am a brilliant.

FIFY.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aw bummer on the yeast, I use SAF Red instant yeast, it's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got two Brendan Brazier books at the library, and it turned out they're the same book!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 482  Next